Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-11-2013, 18:38   #276
Foxterriermom

Yippie! Glad to hear it!
Foxterriermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 20:18   #277
Mrs. VR
Administrator

Thanks all. Lynn, I've seen some of your posts re: your mom. I'm so glad she's doing better!

LW- they aren't calling it a remission yet. She will definitely be doing one more round of chemo as an inpatient ( hopefully not as long and not while we are in vacation), but thats in the protocol, so I think they do it no matter what.

90/9/1

Mrs. VR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 20:24   #278
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. VR View Post
Thanks all. Lynn, I've seen some of your posts re: your mom. I'm so glad she's doing better!

LW- they aren't calling it a remission yet. She will definitely be doing one more round of chemo as an inpatient ( hopefully not as long and not while we are in vacation), but thats in the protocol, so I think they do it no matter what.
In that case I'll keep up the prayers for remission to happen.

To those who have made the ultimate sacrifice while defending American freedom, you will not be forgotten.

RIP my friends Greg and Florence, see you again on the other side.
RIP Jeff (23Skidoo) - 1962-2012 and Gloria (Silent_Runner) - 1964-2013
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Lone_Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 13:18   #279
Mrs. VR
Administrator

Update: mom was supposed to be readmitted yesterday and got sent home because there was no room at the inn. Waited all morning and got a call that today is also a no go. So it's hurry up and wait here.

90/9/1

Old 07-09-2013, 13:25   #280
deputy tom

More prayers sent. tom.

SPES MEA IN DEO EST

Thig crioch air an t-saoghal ach mairidh gaol agus cel The world will come to an end but music and love will endure
deputy tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 15:02   #281
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

Quote:
Update: mom was supposed to be readmitted yesterday and got sent home because there was no room at the inn. Waited all morning and got a call that today is also a no go. So it's hurry up and wait here.
How's she feeling? Hoping she can get in and get started ASAP.

To those who have made the ultimate sacrifice while defending American freedom, you will not be forgotten.

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 07-09-2013, 17:59   #282
Hondo341

Mrs VR,
I "stumbled" across this thread. You really do have a full plate. I can Relate. We lost my mom to cancer 2 days before Christmas this past year. 2 weeks ago my dad had 2 strokes and is unresponsive......I hope your mom is feeling better. You all are in my prayers. Please keep my dad in yours. I am not trying to hijack your thread but wanted to let you know that I really know what you are going through.

Mike
Hondo341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 19:06   #283
Mrs. VR
Administrator

Mike, thank you, absolutely. I hope your dad will recover. I absolutely ( unfortunately) know pretty much exactly what you are dealing with, and you have my empathy.

LW- physically she is fairly stable. She is still needing transfusions but not quite as frequently. Emotionally-eh.

90/9/1

Old 07-09-2013, 19:19   #284
Kichigai
気違い Was Mr30s

It is a tremendously difficult situation to deal with. My brother lost the battle to leukemia it went on for about 6 months with a lot of ups and downs. Remission not in remission other potential treatments etc. It was very draining and emotional I have never seen someone fight so hard. I dont have any great advice for you as it is very difficult to watch. All i can say is that i can relate and that i am sorry
Kichigai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 19:28   #285
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

Quote:
Mike, thank you, absolutely. I hope your dad will recover. I absolutely ( unfortunately) know pretty much exactly what you are dealing with, and you have my empathy.

LW- physically she is fairly stable. She is still needing transfusions but not quite as frequently. Emotionally-eh.
I was hoping to hear she was doing even better than that. Tell her to hang tough, she's got lots of prayers going up for her.

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 07-09-2013, 20:11   #286
Hondo341

It is difficult watching our parents go through these things. It was tough watching mom fight so hard and not being able to do anything about it. Dad and mom have always been so tough. Seeing dad so helpless breaks my heart. It sounds like your mom is a tough cookie.....I like to see that. Mom was 87 and full of gusto. Dad is 89 and tired. I can only hope to be half as tough.
Old 07-10-2013, 16:22   #287
Mrs. VR
Administrator

Cautiously optimistic that tomorrow is a go! Not looking forward to going through this all again, but the sooner she starts, the sooner we move forward.

90/9/1

Old 07-10-2013, 16:26   #288
Hondo341

Correct attitude

That is the best attitude. Your mom will feed off you and that "go get-um" attitude. You all are in my prayers.
Old 07-10-2013, 16:29   #289
Arquebus12
CLM Number 287
Non-broccophobe

Cool. Onward, with high hopes.

There ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with $700 and a .30-06.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Arquebus12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:10   #290
geminicricket
NRA Life member

Mrs. VR, it was my birthday when I got a telephone call at work saying that my father had been found unresponsive on the floor. A little after noon the doctors told us that he had had a massive hemorrhagic stroke and nothing could be done other than keep him breathing until all the family were gathered at his side to share his passing. We waited for my brother to drive 350 miles to join us, and after a few minutes the machines were removed from him. 30 minutes later he breathed his last. I also lost my father with little warning. That evening I went home and went to get the mail. It had a birthday card from him, and I cried the rest of the evening. Three weeks later I drove to his resting place to lay flowers on his grave. I thought I would be alone and the trip was wretched. At the cemetery, an older cousin, her husband, and an older relative of hers arrived and found me bawling. The oldest lady said this, and I want you to remember, "It never stops hurting. You just get used to it." My condolences to you.
geminicricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:36   #291
Mrs. VR
Administrator

Gemincricket, that's so sad mom was readmitted early this morning. My bday is next week, so I can't say something like this hasn't crossed my mind a few times, but I'm really hopeful that she will tolerate this last round reasonably well. After that, it's all bonus days.

90/9/1

Old 07-11-2013, 14:40   #292
Mrs. VR
Administrator

Ok. Looks like its gonna be TWO more courses, but a little closer together. Will be about 4 weeks. Bleh. On a semi- amusing note, the picture on her wall is a photo of Yosemite. Where we were supposed to be last week. -.-

I think it's a cosmic joke.

90/9/1

Old 07-12-2013, 23:57   #293
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

Quote:
Ok. Looks like its gonna be TWO more courses, but a little closer together. Will be about 4 weeks. Bleh. On a semi- amusing note, the picture on her wall is a photo of Yosemite. Where we were supposed to be last week. -.-

I think it's a cosmic joke.
At least it's not a pic of the inside of an airport!

Sending up more prayers for Mom!

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 07-13-2013, 00:20   #294
Magnus2131
Glock Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolfe View Post
At least it's not a pic of the inside of an airport!

Sending up more prayers for Mom!
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolfe View Post
And then gone and stuffed the gun up the ass of the Hajji bastard that shot me!
"RIP Jeff (23Skidoo)" and our Silent_Runner. 129,520
Magnus2131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:57   #295
Bullman
Ahhhhhhh, Bach

It is hard to know what to do or what to say for someone who has lost someone dear. My perspective on this is that I felt I was doing the right thing and now I wonder if I am for my own mental well being about things.

When I met Ginni and we got to the point where we were going to be married I fell in love not just with her but her family as well. I often tell people that I couldn't have picked better in laws if I tried, they are super people and I love them like my own parents. 3 months before we were married, on their wedding anniversary, Ginni, her sister and her parents lost Edward, the middle sibling, to a car wreck. Ginni had moved to Oklahoma so she hadn't seen him in a few months and it was devastating for her, it was devastating for the whole family. I wondered at the time if we would survive it because she was consumed with grief because she was so close to her brother.

We did get married though, but every July 9th is a hard day to get through, that has been 11 years ago. I felt so bad for my in laws because one of the happiest days for them, their wedding anniversary, now has that reminder of the worst possible loss that will be with them till the end of their days. I felt really bad at that point because I had basically taken their oldest daughter and moved her out to Oklahoma 1100 miles away so they had a lot of loss to get through, at least that is how I felt for them. I know now that they had already been through loss before and were better prepared for it than I gave them credit. Even though it was bad, they would have made it.

Anyway, when Sarah was born three years later, and my Mother in Law came out to be with us that summer, it was wonderful to see the sparkle in her eyes when she held that new baby and I felt compelled to do something. I felt I couldn't deny them to not have better access to their first grandchild after they had lost one of their own so 3 months after Sarah was born we packed up all our belonging and moved to Virginia. All I knew for certain was that we had a house to move into. Took me a couple of months to get a job that would do until something better came along. I think that something better actually just did. I have been fooling myself for the last 6 and a half years that the Sheriff's office was that. But then I realized what I had done to myself.

About a year and a half after I moved up my Dad got sick. Something you don't really think about, a doctor getting sick, but it happens. Now I was 1100 miles away and my Dad was getting ate away slowly and I wasn't there for my mom, my sisters or my dad. I had a life in Virginia now and I was helping my new family, and not helping mine. My dad passed away while I was in the police academy in Virginia in 2008 We flew out to Oklahoma, I got to stay with them for a week and then I had to come back and finish the academy, and make up what I missed later. Now my mom is at home by herself. While my sisters live in Oklahoma, they don't live as close as I did, so she doesn't have someone that can be there in minutes when she needs one of her kids. Mom and Dad were married well over 50 years, I think it was 57 but I may be wrong and I know it eats at my mother every day and I know she won't be happy till she is with him again.

For me.... well, I have hinted at the fact that I feel guilty for leaving my family in their time of need. I didn't know at the time it would play out that way when I left, I couldn't have known, but it really doesn't make me feel any better about it. I just go on and do they best I can. Changing jobs has been hard for me because now I will have to go a whole year without vacation time enough to go out and let my mom see her two little precious grandkids (she has older grown up ones, and now even has a great grand kid). I don't call as often as I should, now I don't go out and see them as often as I should.... I kinda feel like a bad kid.

But now after telling all of you my incredibly long boring story I guess the point I really want to make is that you just don't really have any control over how things play out. They are going to happen, sometimes you see it coming, sometimes you don't. You can never control it. You will stress over it but it is wasted energy, and even that knowledge doesn't change the fact that you will do it anyway, I still do. Just go on with your life as best as you can, love those who are still with you the best that you can. Continue to love and remember those that aren't with you as best as you can. Just because you don't have someone in the here and now to hug and say "I LOVE YOU" doesn't mean they aren't still in your heart. I like to believe that I am now closer to my dad than when he was here simply for the fact that he now knows everything that goes on because he is here in my heart with me. I can't really fix not being closer with the family back home, but I can still do what I can from 1100 miles away and even if it isn't enough for me or for them, it's what I can do and I can't change it. So on the outside I try to put on that front of strength like it doesn't bother me. I think my wife gets mad at me sometimes because it doesn't look like anything gets to me. It does, it's just that nobody really knows it, maybe I don't even realize how much it effects me.

Be strong in your faith, and live. Continue on because it is the best tribute you can do for the ones that you love. and have some good internet friends to because you can come on Glock talk and share your feeling with your "friends" that you have never met face to face easier than you can with the people you have around you every day.

Hope this helped, hope I didn't bore you all to death.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJYsX1YGiGA
Bullman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:03   #296
Mrs. VR
Administrator

Kevin...

90/9/1

Old 07-13-2013, 11:39   #297
Bullman
Ahhhhhhh, Bach

Back at ya Sharon Right now you can probably use them more than me. Time goes on, it doesn't get any easier but it does go on and I guess are job is to soldier on through it as best we can. Sometimes it helps if you got a buddy to lean on. And this is as good a place to look for buddies as any.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJYsX1YGiGA
Bullman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:47   #298
Mrs. VR
Administrator

This thread has absolutely been therapeutic for me, in ways I can't even express.

90/9/1

Old 07-14-2013, 15:35   #299
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

Quote:
This thread has absolutely been therapeutic for me, in ways I can't even express.
I understand (obviously), and am glad we can help you through this difficult time. for you, for your Mom, and for anyone else there who needs one.

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 07-14-2013, 16:01   #300
jay29

Lost my father in Oct 2011 because of his 7th heart attack. He resided at a local nursing home (his choice) and he said he had chest pains all night long and nobody would help him. I asked him why he didn't call me or mom? He didn't want to "bother" us. Stubborn as usual. He died 7 days later in his sleep. He was 85. I had him for 38 years of my life. It pains me till this day that I should have spent more time with him than I did. I am glad he didn't suffer long. He was all there mentally at least and didn't die tragically like so many other unfortunate people. My brother and I have dangerous jobs (police and firefighter) and we pray we never get that phone call.

The pain never goes away. I'm teary eyed now. You just learn to cope.

Last edited by jay29; 07-14-2013 at 16:01..
jay29 is offline   Reply With Quote