Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:45   #1
ModGlock17

Hornady Zombie 12g 00buck. Worth it ?

I saw a stack of them, 10/box for almost $14 each. Are they worth it ? Have you tested them?

Hard to be serious with comic drawings. Marketing gimmick, I know. But are they intrinsically good and serious products ?

Thx.
ModGlock17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 16:05   #2
toshbar
Timber Baron

Identical to Critical Defense buckshot. 00, 8 pellets, 1600fps.

Interesting, most 00 buck is 9 pellets.....
2 4 R

toshbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 17:26   #3
WoodenPlank
Who?

Only thing to be aware of is the gimmick marketing can be the source of some headache if you ever used it for self/home defense. If you're looking for range ammo, have at it.
Old 04-22-2013, 18:31   #4
MStarmer
In Jail...

I'd buy the Remington bulk packs, 15rnd $15. Not the best price but in today's market not too bad.
Old 04-22-2013, 18:36   #5
Aceman

Compare to the closest similar product of theirs.

I like Zmax in my AK's and 9mm. Same as TAP IMO...
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 18:40   #6
LASTRESORT20
LongTerm-Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshbar View Post
Identical to Critical Defense buckshot. 00, 8 pellets, 1600fps.

Interesting, most 00 buck is 9 pellets.....
Yup...and I like them.
LASTRESORT20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 22:34   #7
Cole125
Silver Membership

Hornady Zombie Max ammo is no joke, it's their real deal offerings repackaged. The Zombie pistol and shotgun ammo is Hornady Critical defense, the .223 is Hornady V-Max.
Cole125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 22:37   #8
Cole125
Silver Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
Only thing to be aware of is the gimmick marketing can be the source of some headache if you ever used it for self/home defense. If you're looking for range ammo, have at it.
I have thought about that myself, using Zombie ammo for defensive purposes might be awkward in court to say the least.

Its for when the zombies come, not now in "civilized" society...

Last edited by Cole125; 04-22-2013 at 22:38..
Cole125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:03   #9
ModGlock17

Imagine for a moment, that you have nothing else but a 10" kitchen knife to throw at the BG in a home invasion, are they going to ask what brand of knife you used?

Does it have to be a factory made knife, rather than a home shaped & sharpened bamboo stick (the court is too civilized), with a culturally sensitive marketing verbiage ?

Is there a court case on this? Even one that contains the notion that a tactical shotgun is "too much" for HD ? Or ammo was poorly marketed? Or are we just worrying about nonsense?
Old 04-23-2013, 11:52   #10
toshbar
Timber Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModGlock17 View Post
Is there a court case on this? Even one that contains the notion that a tactical shotgun is "too much" for HD ? Or ammo was poorly marketed? Or are we just worrying about nonsense?
I am going to start marketing 'tactical brainwave shielding'. It will simply be Reynold's aluminum foil pre-folded into nice triangular sailor hats, anodized dark green of course.
2 4 R

Old 04-23-2013, 17:57   #11
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole125 View Post
I have thought about that myself, using Zombie ammo for defensive purposes might be awkward in court to say the least.

Its for when the zombies come, not now in "civilized" society...
Yeah, especially when this disclaimer appears on the official website for it:

"Disclaimer: Hornady® Zombie Max™ ammunition is NOT a toy (IT IS LIVE AMMUNITION), but is intended only to be used on…ZOMBIES, also known as the living dead, undead, etc. No human being, plant, animal, vegetable or mineral should ever be shot with Hornady® Zombie Max™ ammunition. Again, we repeat, Hornady® Zombie Max™ ammunition is for use on ZOMBIES ONLY, and that's not a nickname, phrase or cute way of referring to anybody, place or thing. When we say Zombies, we mean…ZOMBIES!"

Quote:
Imagine for a moment, that you have nothing else but a 10" kitchen knife to throw at the BG in a home invasion, are they going to ask what brand of knife you used?

Does it have to be a factory made knife, rather than a home shaped & sharpened bamboo stick (the court is too civilized), with a culturally sensitive marketing verbiage ?

It's kinda like your Miranda warning - anything you use to defend yourself can and will be used against you in a court of law. Have well intentioned, easily explained reasons for everything you use. Type of weapon, size of magazine, type of ammo, etc. Mas Ayoob has repeatedly covered this in the Go Ask The Experts section.

Would using Zombie Max be an instant, one-way ticket to pound-you-in-the-keister prison? No, but you damn sure better be able to explain to a jury or judge why you used it. There's always the chance that the prosecutor will pick that one thing to hone in on to prove you were acting negligently or maliciously, and try to send you to that same prison for a long time.

There have been cases where a big deal was made about type of ammunition, caliber, type of weapon, etc. in an attempt to make a justified shooting look anything but.
Old 04-23-2013, 19:39   #12
WinterWizard

That Hornady 00 buck @ 1600 fps must be smoking. Most 00 buck is 1325 fps. How is Hornady getting the extra 275 fps? It must be a real shoulder buster.
WinterWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 20:06   #13
Aceman

Apologies. Meant to say CD, not TAP.

I actually keep a Browning HP mag and my go mags for my AK loaded with it.
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 22:18   #14
cdog533
Zombie Killer

Quote:
I saw a stack of them, 10/box for almost $14 each. Are they worth it ? Have you tested them?

Hard to be serious with comic drawings. Marketing gimmick, I know. But are they intrinsically good and serious products ?.
Yes, I have tested this load in real-world encounters against zombies with good effect. Definite 1-shot stop if it hits anywhere in the head/cranial area.

I know many don't recommend a shotgun against the undead (such as Max Brooks) but I find it is very good when facing groups up to about 15 Z's in size or in a close-quarter environment, like clearing an abandoned mental hospital.

Last edited by cdog533; 04-23-2013 at 22:18..
cdog533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:08   #15
toshbar
Timber Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWizard View Post
That Hornady 00 buck @ 1600 fps must be smoking. Most 00 buck is 1325 fps. How is Hornady getting the extra 275 fps? It must be a real shoulder buster.
My above comment on the 8 vs. 9 pellets would lead me to believe that the overall payload is reduced compared to standard buckshot, allowing it to go a little bit faster.
2 4 R

Last edited by toshbar; 04-24-2013 at 01:08..
Old 04-24-2013, 08:39   #16
Micad

Can't you just throw the box away after you load the shotgun?
Lone Star Glockers #8675309
"Ban children, its for the guns"
Micad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 23:18   #17
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micad View Post
Can't you just throw the box away after you load the shotgun?
If you're referring to the marketing gimmick, the hulls are marked as "Zombie Max," so it wouldn't make a difference.
Old 04-24-2013, 23:42   #18
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshbar View Post
My above comment on the 8 vs. 9 pellets would lead me to believe that the overall payload is reduced compared to standard buckshot, allowing it to go a little bit faster.
I played around quite a bit with 00 loads for all my social shotguns and I fount that the 9 pellet loads were much more prone to throwing flyers, one pellet taking off with a mind of its own. Some writer somewhere noted the same thing and said he researched it and found it had something to do with the way the pellets stacked in the shell

I have seen the effect for myself and don't doubt it but for all I know about shotgun ballistics, that makes as much sense as anything.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:16   #19
ModGlock17

Have your "experts" even produce/show us a case where a shot gun is considered "too much" for SD or HD ? Before we even worry about the kind of ammo to be used in them.

That's not too much to ask.

If you're so fearful of prosecutors looking into the tools you would use, why do you even own a shotgun, let alone a TACTICAL shotgun, for personal defense? Why don't you just own a KelTec toy like Georgie Zimmerman because that seemed to work just fine?
Old 04-25-2013, 05:20   #20
SouthpawG26

Coming soon to your LGS: Super X Limited Chechen Terrorist 12Gauge rifled slugs! Why drive over them when you can shoot them!