Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:48   #201
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanster View Post
Airmotive - one minor(except when it's major) benefit of the mac platform is the ability to make bootable backups. Given the somewhat sketchy situation with your wife's HD and experience with the computer, I HIGHLY recommend she takes advantage of it.

You/she just need an external hard drive the same size as or larger than the HD in the computer. I usually use the Western Digital Passport USB hard drives, bought from Costco or Amazon. Most recent purchase was ~$130 for 2 Terabytes from Costco, a couple weeks ago.

Then use 'SuperDuper' to clone the drive. http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDup...scription.html

It's free for basic function, and $29 if you want to enable 'smart backup', where instead of re-cloning the entire drive, it just updates whatever's changed. Free mode is fine for this task.

The 'big win' here is that once you've cloned the drive, you can then use that backup as the startup drive for any Intel based mac, and then you're right back running your data, just on different hardware. You can use that drive to run a MacPro, Macbook, Mac Mini, iMac, whatever is handy, without modifications or hassles trying to get drivers working. When/if things go wrong, having a recent clone is a very powerful tool/comfy security blanket, and it's very very fast to get things back up and running.

By contrast, Time Machine is great for incremental backups, and I've had very good luck with it for bringing a machine back up after swapping hard drives or a whole new computer, but it's both slow, and potentially more-fragile than the very simple cloned/bootable drive solution.
That's a great suggestion but had airmotive cloned the drive right before he sabotaged his wife's iMac don't you think that would look a little suspicious?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:21   #202
Roger1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
That's a great suggestion but had airmotive cloned the drive right before he sabotaged his wife's iMac don't you think that would look a little suspicious?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
No, because he could just blame the iMac failure on a government conspiracy to sabotage her data.
Roger1079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:39   #203
Deanster
CLM Number 250
Cheese?

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
I think he's fine for the first couple times of doing this. Like setting fires and then calling them in to get attention for 'saving lives', you can get away with it several times before people catch on.

Or so I've heard.

I think backing up the data, then Jacking Up the Mac and being the hero with the backup is a pretty fine plan, really.

I think I'll go back up my wife's Macbook Pro, and then contact Airmotive for his 'Jack Up My Mac' tips.

I bow before his genius. Teach Me, Airmotive!!!!

Your behavior angers God and/or the Constitution. Just sayin'.

I only seem liberal because I believe hurricanes are caused by low barometric pressure, and not gay marriage.
Deanster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 22:43   #204
N4LP

Consumer Reports must be headquartered near Jobs' grave, because apparently his reality distortion field is affecting them.

Consumer Reports: Apple outshines rivals once again in customer support

Consumer Reports released the results of its latest survey of computer technical support this week and it found that Apple was ranked at the top once again. Even more impressive, perhaps, is the fact that Apple topped its score from last year, when it also lead the pack by a sizable margin.
N4LP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 22:48   #205
Deanster
CLM Number 250
Cheese?

The sad part is that what the OP is describing is relatively good manufacturer support, in that they're actually sort of trying to fix it in some way.

Your behavior angers God and/or the Constitution. Just sayin'.

I only seem liberal because I believe hurricanes are caused by low barometric pressure, and not gay marriage.
Deanster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:32   #206
Glock30Eric
.45 ACP

What is the status with OP's problem?
Glock30Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:44   #207
airmotive
Tin Kicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock30Eric View Post
What is the status with OP's problem?
Wifey is out of town on business. Before she left, she said she couldn't get any of her MSOffice (for mac) programs to work. Not sure if that's a DRM issue or something else.
We'll get to play with it some more when she gets back next week.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:46   #208
airmotive
Tin Kicker

Back to the top for this thread...
Wifey just got back home. Called me at work.
iMac will only boot to a white screen again. So I guess that fixes the problem she was having with Office.

Edit: ...and today, exactly 2 months after the first iCrash, Apple replaced the unit.

Last edited by airmotive; 05-06-2013 at 18:20..
airmotive is offline   Reply With Quote