Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-17-2013, 22:49   #151
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik767 View Post
Lol, I have to admit, the feng shui was clever. But I do understand what you are saying and I agree that it's not a wrong. And they are obviously successful with their iMacs.

By the way, I believe the Russian space pencil is an urban legend.
People have different needs and wants. I know you agree. The folks I chuckle at are the ones who say:

Apple is overpriced! Compared to what?

I can build the same thing cheaper! No you can't.

Apple is all marketing! No it isn't.

Apple was stupid for dropping the optical drive! Not for most people who rarely use it. (I'm sure they have the data)

You can't work on it! But Apple can.

For my computer needs apple delivers best in class. For you they're simply insufficient. .

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 22:52   #152
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik767 View Post
I was actually always very impressed with the MBA, especially when they first came out. As far as laptops go, anything portable needs to be as light as possible. I think my 13" MBP is too heavy and takes up too much space. There are people that will complain about anything and if you for some reason want a 17" laptop can play the latest games and weighs 10 lbs, the MBA is not for you. My only gripe with the older MBAs was that it only came with 4 GB of RAM, but now you can get them with 8. I don't think I would have ever considered the MBA a niche product, because IIRC at the time, those little netbooks were doing pretty well. The MBA just took it to the next level and actually packaged decent hardware into a small and light device.
My MBA11 has 4. It generally isn't problematic unless I'm dual booted. But it'll be 2 yrs old in November and I'm gonna flip it for an upgrade.

Old 04-17-2013, 23:14   #153
Detectorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
Does it come with a Sherpa to carry it?

If a user needs optical and better battery capacity why not buy a laptop with both since they have to carry it anyway?

Versatility, you carry what you need.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place. George Bernard Shaw
Detectorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:47   #154
kansasboy91
Your Opinion

I was a Mac fanboy with a Macbook before they were the Pro but now I'm not . I'm kinda thinking of chrome for my next OS just my 2 cents.
Ruger SR22P
kansasboy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:44   #155
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detectorist View Post
If the user pulls the optical and installs the spare battery, how does he use the optical?

If the user is remote enough that he can't plug in to work and needs a spare battery how can he be certain that he won't need the optical?

This arrange my seems a bit silly and reminds me of a sell I has circa 2000 that had a docking station thing that held extra battery and optical. Without it it was lightish but since I needed the extra battery and never knew if I'd need optical I had to carry both. They shoulda just duct taped them together.

Old 04-18-2013, 06:46   #156
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
I travel weekly on business with only my MBA. Can you give me an example of a situation where a business traveler today needs an optical drive on the road? I can't.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:01   #157
Roger1079

Quote:
I travel weekly on business with only my MBA. Can you give me an example of a situation where a business traveler today needs an optical drive on the road? I can't.

Same here, except for the weekly traveling part. Everything now is either on USB flash or downloadable. I can't even remember the last time I used an optical drive for anything computer related and I am in the IT field.
Roger1079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:03   #158
SC Tiger
Shaved Ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by airmotive View Post
I swear...if one more smug little kid says "If you wanna work ON your computer get a PC; if you wanna work WITH your computer get a Mac." I will shoot him....and his Mac.
Don't do that.

Beat him with his mac. We gun owners have enough problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keoking View Post
If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.
SC Tiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:06   #159
Taphius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger1079 View Post
Same here, except for the weekly traveling part. Everything now is either on USB flash or downloadable. I can't even remember the last time I used an optical drive for anything computer related and I am in the IT field.
Flash media was not allowed in our office, CD-R only and two person checked. destroyed after use.

Last edited by Taphius; 04-18-2013 at 10:06..
Taphius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:29   #160
N4LP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger1079 View Post
Whenever I need an optical drive on my Macbook Air, I just use the one on my Hackintosh (essentially a Mac Pro). I don't want an optical drive on my laptop because I want it to be as thin and light as possible.

As for those who think they know more about design, not to mention the wants of Apple's customers, than Apple ->

Why is it so hard for some people to understand that not everybody wants or needs the same thing? Apple is not designing the iMac for people who want a big boxy, water cooled computer (with blue LED fans, see thru windows, dual optical drives, etc.). They're designing it for people who want the sleekest. most stylish computer possible.

If style isn't a big consideration for you when buying a desktop computer, then don't buy an iMac. If cost is the major deciding factor when buying a computer, then don't buy any Mac. It's just that simple.
N4LP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:18   #161
Detectorist

Quote:

You're missing the point. If you don't need an optical drive, you have the option to not carry it. Once again, you carry what you need.

You, obviously, don't need one. That's OK. I found that lawyers, in particular, loved those laptops.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place. George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-18-2013, 11:20   #162
Detectorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4LP View Post

snip

Why is it so hard for some people to understand that not everybody wants or needs the same thing? Apple is not designing the iMac for people who want a big boxy, water cooled computer (with blue LED fans, see thru windows, dual optical drives, etc.). They're designing it for people who want the sleekest. most stylish computer possible.

If style isn't a big consideration for you when buying a desktop computer, then don't buy an iMac. If cost is the major deciding factor when buying a computer, then don't buy any Mac. It's just that simple.
Yep. Without a doubt.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:23   #163
Merlin40
Merlin40

Quote:
Uh uh...another iBoy overcompensating for "something". Come on over big boy and you haul the damn thing across a crowded shopping mall parking lot, through the double doors and through the freakin food court....oh....and if it slips from your hand or someone lets a door slam into it....you owe me $2K. I've made the trip eight times and my wife's done it twice. Your turn.

The thing is...NOBODY ever says "If you wanna work ON your computer get a Mac; if you wanna work WITH your computer get a PC."

But every time I'm with my wife at the Mac store and we rib each other about our divided house with regards to PC/Mac....some smug little blue shirt-wearing twit will prattle off "If you wanna work ON your computer get a PC; if you wanna work WITH your computer get a Mac."

Nobody ever says PCs are perfect.
However, if anyone ever declares a Mac isn't anything other than PERFECT, they get attacked by iBoys.

Case in point, your post...i-Boy.
I go WAY back......I was buying my 1st 286 back in the day. I was in a store that sold both Apple and PCs. The store rep was extolling the virtues of a Mac, and told the customer, "A Mac is pretty much idiot-proof". I leaned in and asked the customer, "Do you know WHY a Mac is "idiot-proof"?. The store rep looked at me, like he thought I was going to support his claim. I told the customer, "It's because only IDIOTS use them". The store rep asked me to leave. LOL. True story, guys. Keep your Macs, and all of the "I" crap. I know what works for me, and what is being used in todays business infrastructure. Try using SQL, Server 2008, SharePoint, or any of the many platforms that service the business world, on your Mac, and tell me how that works for you. Here endeth the lesson.
Merlin40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:30   #164
jmohme

Quote:
Whenever I need an optical drive on my Macbook Air, I just use the one on my Hackintosh (essentially a Mac Pro). I don't want an optical drive on my laptop because I want it to be as thin and light as possible.

As for those who think they know more about design, not to mention the wants of Apple's customers, than Apple ->

It goes far beyond style or cost for some of us.

I am sitting in my office typing this on my 5 year old Macbook while my 2 year old 8 core Mac Pro is chewing on a 6 layer Photoshop image to be placed on my 4 year old Mac Pro web server. My wife sits across from me doing her work on a new iMac. I also have 4 more older Macbooks in my mobile photo lab that I take to events to display images.

None of them have ever missed a beat.

I used to be a PC guy, but my photography business has requires hardware that just works, and my Macs satisfy that need.

BTW, my oldest Mac is a 2001 Titanium Powerbook that still works. Try using a 12 year old PC for anything other than a paperweight!
jmohme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:36   #165
N4LP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin40 View Post
I know what works for me, and what is being used in todays business infrastructure. Try using SQL, Server 2008, SharePoint, or any of the many platforms that service the business world, on your Mac, and tell me how that works for you. Here endeth the lesson.
But I don't use SQL, Server 2008, SharePoint, or any of the many platforms that service the business world. Should I still buy a PC?

Quote:
I go WAY back......I was buying my 1st 286 back in the day.
My first computer was a TRS-80.
N4LP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:46   #166
jmohme

Quote:
I go WAY back......I was buying my 1st 286 back in the day. I was in a store that sold both Apple and PCs. The store rep was extolling the virtues of a Mac, and told the customer, "A Mac is pretty much idiot-proof". I leaned in and asked the customer, "Do you know WHY a Mac is "idiot-proof"?. The store rep looked at me, like he thought I was going to support his claim. I told the customer, "It's because only IDIOTS use them". The store rep asked me to leave. LOL. True story, guys. Keep your Macs, and all of the "I" crap. I know what works for me, and what is being used in todays business infrastructure. Try using SQL, Server 2008, SharePoint, or any of the many platforms that service the business world, on your Mac, and tell me how that works for you. Here endeth the lesson.
My wife is a business analyst for a large international tech company, and she does write SQU code on an iMac.
Also, do you think Apple uses PC's to run their business? I know for a fact that they do not and that on the occasion that they do need to use Windows only software, they just run Windows on the Mac.

PC's and Macs are both nothing more than tools and each have their place and specific uses. Saying that one platform is only used by idiots, tells me that someone is pretty closed minded.
jmohme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:53   #167
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
You're missing the point. If you don't need an optical drive, you have the option to not carry it. Once again, you carry what you need.

You, obviously, don't need one. That's OK. I found that lawyers, in particular, loved those laptops.
I have the option of carrying an optical drive now. But when I don't I have a light thin laptop.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:58   #168
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

I work for a global company. I can access everything I need to from my Mac, except one app which requires Explorer. So I dual boot win 7

Old 04-18-2013, 12:07   #169
John Rambo
Raven

Quote:
I work for a global company. I can access everything I need to from my Mac, except one app which requires Explorer. So I dual boot win 7

We have one systems engineer here who uses a Mac. He has Win7 in Parallels. While he is able to do everything we can using that Mac with Parallels, he consistently puts in more work to get the same goals accomplished.

But it is nice to have him around. Someone needs help with a Mac? Give it to our Mac guy.
John Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:28   #170
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Quote:
No its not. Ive found pcs are more expensive. Usually so poorly equipped you have spend money on them to get them where they need to be. Its like death by a thousand cuts. Apple does get a bit more up front but its competent from the beginning and cheaper in the long run.

I dont spend money to be stylish. I want stuff that works. Much smoother too, plug any peripheral in and it works. No driver config headaches. Just works. Its a computer that figures things out instead of having to be told what to do. I know how to do all that other stuff and did for years. Sick of it though. If i want to spin wrenches fixing things ill be a shade tree mechanic. The most valuable thing in my life is TIME. macs actually give me that. Time and lots of it. Working and not unproductive headaches.
Old 04-18-2013, 13:11   #171
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by G29Reload View Post
No its not. Ive found pcs are more expensive. Usually so poorly equipped you have spend money on them to get them where they need to be. Its like death by a thousand cuts. Apple does get a bit more up front but its competent from the beginning and cheaper in the long run.

I dont spend money to be stylish. I want stuff that works. Much smoother too, plug any peripheral in and it works. No driver config headaches. Just works. Its a computer that figures things out instead of having to be told what to do. I know how to do all that other stuff and did for years. Sick of it though. If i want to spin wrenches fixing things ill be a shade tree mechanic. The most valuable thing in my life is TIME. macs actually give me that. Time and lots of it. Working and not unproductive headaches.
You've been suckered by slick marketing

Old 04-18-2013, 13:18   #172
airmotive
Tin Kicker

Quote:

Ummm...okay.
Windows 98 is calling...they want you to stop spreading rumors about them.

Wifey is dropping her iMac off at the Apple store right now to have her old hard drive re-installed because the...ahem... Apple "Time Machine" corrupted the backup files from her iMac, so she will lose all her data with a new hard drive. Yep...it just works.

Can't swap the freakin hard drives on this thing yourself. That is, literally, a 120 second job. 2 minutes on a PC.
It's a two day project for the Apple store.
(again)
And yes...Apple still refuses to replace this piece of crap.
Demand it all you want. The ghost of Steve Jobs says 'NO".

Last edited by airmotive; 04-18-2013 at 13:21..
airmotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 13:59   #173
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Quote:
You've been suckered by slick marketing

More like actual practical experience.
Old 04-18-2013, 14:05   #174
John Rambo
Raven

Quote:
More like actual practical experience.
I can assure you its not. Maybe 'your' experience, but that doesn't count for much, given how much technology there is out there. You can buy a PC with dual processors, up to hundreds of gigs of ECC RAM, SAS drives with onboard hardware RAID, redundant power supplies, pretty much whatever you want. And they're regular old PCs which ship that way from the manufacturer.
John Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 14:06   #175
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Ummm...okay.
Windows 98 is calling...they want you to stop spreading rumors about them.

Wifey is dropping her iMac off at the Apple store right now to have her old hard drive re-installed because the...ahem... Apple "Time Machine" corrupted the backup files from her iMac, so she will lose all her data with a new hard drive. Yep...it just works.

Can't swap the freakin hard drives on this thing yourself. That is, literally, a 120 second job. 2 minutes on a PC.
It's a two day project for the Apple store.
(again)
And yes...Apple still refuses to replace this piece of crap.
Demand it all you want. The ghost of Steve Jobs says 'NO".
Your case is clearly an anomalie.

Apple has been flawless for me. 5 devices so far.

The only hard drive crash ive ever had was a year old gateway pc. And also the only virus attack.