GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-13-2013, 18:27   #51
jjdoner

Interesting complaint. In 30 years or more of using Macs I have had one bad one. It was a laptop. After 3 attempts at repair of something that actually turned out to be my fault the tech at Apple suggested replacing it. I took the malfunctioning laptop to the nearest Apple store, they transferred all the stuff on the bad one to the new one at no cost and I was on my way home in 3 hours with a computer that worked flawlessly. In fact, it still does and that was 8 years ago. I gave it to my stepdaughter to do schoolwork on when I needed more RAM and storage on mine. She's still using it.
jjdoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 20:23   #52
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by airmotive View Post
22 pounds...it's the big one.
It's not the weight...it's toting the big, slippery, delicate, EXPENSIVE computer back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and.....

Just took this....wifey, enjoying here iMac while talking to customer support. The screen is a lovely shade of white. It's very soothing.
The Okie Corral
That isn't broken. It's an app for treating Seasonal Affective Disorder.

Fix the calendar and it will know its springtime. Problem solved.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 22:20   #53
Taphius

Quote:
Originally Posted by .264 magnum View Post
A UPS won't help unless the power goes off.
Not if its an online ups, to bad the cyberpower isn't one though
Taphius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 22:40   #54
airmotive
Tin Kicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
That isn't broken. It's an app for treating Seasonal Affective Disorder.

Fix the calendar and it will know its springtime. Problem solved.

That got a much-needed laugh out of i-Wife.
Old 04-13-2013, 22:56   #55
LawScholar

The saying ought to be "If you want to work ON your computer get a PC, if you want to define yourself BY your computer get a Mac." :p

Not surprised by the trouble. My friend's MacBook has a host of problems and my self-built PCs have never once hiccuped.
Old 04-14-2013, 00:43   #56
CAcop

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawScholar View Post
The saying ought to be "If you want to work ON your computer get a PC, if you want to define yourself BY your computer get a Mac." :p

Not surprised by the trouble. My friend's MacBook has a host of problems and my self-built PCs have never once hiccuped.
So true. The people who buy into the Apple thing tend to be people who bought into the "think different" ad campaign.

There is a boss at work who wants the department cells to be replaced with iPhones. Sure it will replace a lot of devices we use currently but Android based products will work a lot better since our computers aren't Apples.

Pretty much the only reason why I never think about going Apple is because the work computers are PC based. That and the flash issues. I can't tell you how many times I go to show my parents or sister something on the internet and they can see it.

I suspect with Steve dead Apple will be within a generation. They better get to work on the next best thing because they are coasting at this point.
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:33   #57
stevemc

Air,

I happen to like Macs and have been using them for years without any issues. I also work on systems that are bullet proof EXCEPT when they are exposed to bad power. That was the first thing that I thought of when you described your troubles. I would take a good DVM and check the outlet you use for the Mac. I would be particularly interested in the voltage between neutral and ground- there should not be any. If you have a bad voltage, you could check the splices at the receptacle- hot and neutral, check the termination at the breaker, and even the drop outside can be bad where it ties to the utility at or above the meter- seen this many times. Or if you have a UPS, some people don't know that they are designed to take the bullet but then can stop working after a spike. Good luck.
stevemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:05   #58
Resqu2

I would not stop till its replaced, I was just looking at the CNN article where some one left an IPad on there car top, it flies off, sticks in a bumper of another car and is there all day. It still works when found but Apple is still replacing it under warranty.

As for me, I'm an IGuy also, lots of devices and my only trip to a repair store was because Apple decided my HDD might fail at some pont, it was a certain Seagate model and it was working perfect but I decided to get a brand new HDD since they were paying. I have never had a PC company do that before. Like I said, keep pushing and it will get replaced.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:27   #59
Roger1079

It sounds like the OP got a dud. Being a network admin, and working 98% on PC's at work, I used to be of the mindset that Apple was niche overpriced fanboy junk. That thought process changed when my CEO bought one and I had no choice but to adapt. Since, our graphic designer was also purchased one.

The fit and finish of these machines is second to none. With Mountain Lion, Windows domain integration is no longer even an issue. Apple has come a very long way in the last few years to make coexistence with a Windows environment virtually painless.

I have both types of machines at home now. A 2008 or so Macbook, A 2011 MBP, A 2012 MBA, a 2009 27" iMac, 2012 Mac Mini as well as a couple iPads and Apple TV. All of these play niceley with the 1U HP Server I have at home running Server 2008 Standard, as well as the Dell E4300 I have running Windows 7 as well as a Core 2 Duo machine I built a couple years back still running Windows XP.

The only problems I have ever had Apple wise were with a 13" MBP at work that was caused by a disgruntled can of Coke and a user in front of the keyboard lacking the common sense to kill the power to it right away and not turn it back on until it was inspected. Long story short, the logic board was soaked in soda and fried. A new logic board later and it has been back in business for 6 months now.

Hardware wise, I have been very fortunate with both PC's and Mac's. Product quality wise, Apple has the competition killed hands down. Compare ANY Dell Latitude notebook made in the last 4 years to any Mac Aluminum notebook ever made and tell me Dell has the quality product. Apple has them crushed in this department. Yes, they are extremely expensive in comparison, but as the saying goes, you get what you pay for. My biggest and just about only grip with Apple is the mindset they have of making their machines non user serviceable as much as they possibly can, however with many manufacturers switching to All In Ones for desktops, this is also becoming common with PC's now.

To the OP, Apple should make this right and just replace the entire unit as it is apparent that the "Geniuses" at the store are incapable. I would contact CS directly and skip right to a Supervisor/Manager and have them pull the service records for this machine. There is no reason ANY machine by ANY manufacturer should have to go back 8 times for repair and not be completely replaced. THrough my diatribe, I cannot remember whether you said they did this yet, but they may be right that a power problem could be causing the problems you are experiencing. My guess would be the power supply in the machine though rather than in your home. I have seen bad power supplies cause some pretty strange issues in the past. Also, if the RAM has not been changed, that would be a good place to troubleshoot as well. This is all assuming you continue playing the "see if the Apple Geek Squad can fix it" game rather than escalating the issue.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Last edited by Roger1079; 04-14-2013 at 05:35..
Roger1079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:16   #60
kiole

Call apple and ask for a new imac.. You may change your tune about them. Their customer service is usually second to none. You may even get the new thin model.
kiole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:41   #61
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAcop View Post
So true. The people who buy into the Apple thing tend to be people who bought into the "think different" ad campaign.

There is a boss at work who wants the department cells to be replaced with iPhones. Sure it will replace a lot of devices we use currently but Android based products will work a lot better since our computers aren't Apples.

Pretty much the only reason why I never think about going Apple is because the work computers are PC based. That and the flash issues. I can't tell you how many times I go to show my parents or sister something on the internet and they can see it.

I suspect with Steve dead Apple will be within a generation. They better get to work on the next best thing because they are coasting at this point.
That ad campaign is from like 30 years ago but you believe it's responsible for taking apple from the edge of bankruptcy to the most valuable company on the planet?

Just FYI: my company is all PC. I bought my own MacBook Air and haven't touched the dell they gave me in over a year.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:18   #62
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Quote:

Pretty much the only reason why I never think about going Apple is because the work computers are PC based.
Wrong and Wrong.

I'm not a Fanboy per se because I'm multi platform. I see use in Apple, MS Android and Linux generally.

I have an Android phone, (Galaxy SIII) and PC and Apple laptops.

My Android phone communicates with my MacBook Pro just fine. Theres an android app on my MBP which allows me to transfer content like photos I take in the field with the phone then want to see on the MBP's 17" screen. Works fine.

Also, they bluetooth together nicely and I swap files between the two regularly.

I adopted MAc for day to day computer use when it became a selling point that Macs were designed to work with your stuff, mainly in my case almost 20 years of accumulated files that moved from pc to pc as I've had them over the years. Macs can open and save as Word and Excel files. I think they added that feature by the time they went to Intel processors. It was a deal-sealer for me, I could learn any Mac way of doing stuff but still open my legacy files, and save as or create new docs that I could ship to other users (say, emailing my resume, created or updated in Pages, as a Word doc which 90% of the Business world is still on)…therefore I can communicate with anyone that I need to. No further barriers. Nowadays people are cross platform with .pdfs.

The only thing MAc can't do without dual boot is Access. That's about it.

So, mixing Macs and PCS are a non-issue. I have thumb drives that go from one to the other, they can be networked, etc. So, you can drop that myth.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:56   #63
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

I dual boot windows and OSX all day every day. Works flawlessly

Old 04-14-2013, 11:15   #64
podwich

I like Macs (historically nice but expensive computers). I hate Mac OS. I'm not a fanboy of anything (it's stupid). I buy high-quality PCs (and built my last desktop).

Looks like you got a dud. The bummer is they aren't stepping up to replace the whole thing. If you're still looking at hanging on to it, I'd push hard for that.
podwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 14:11   #65
CAcop

Quote:
Originally Posted by G29Reload View Post
Wrong and Wrong.

I'm not a Fanboy per se because I'm multi platform. I see use in Apple, MS Android and Linux generally.

I have an Android phone, (Galaxy SIII) and PC and Apple laptops.

My Android phone communicates with my MacBook Pro just fine. Theres an android app on my MBP which allows me to transfer content like photos I take in the field with the phone then want to see on the MBP's 17" screen. Works fine.

Also, they bluetooth together nicely and I swap files between the two regularly.

I adopted MAc for day to day computer use when it became a selling point that Macs were designed to work with your stuff, mainly in my case almost 20 years of accumulated files that moved from pc to pc as I've had them over the years. Macs can open and save as Word and Excel files. I think they added that feature by the time they went to Intel processors. It was a deal-sealer for me, I could learn any Mac way of doing stuff but still open my legacy files, and save as or create new docs that I could ship to other users (say, emailing my resume, created or updated in Pages, as a Word doc which 90% of the Business world is still on)…therefore I can communicate with anyone that I need to. No further barriers. Nowadays people are cross platform with .pdfs.

The only thing MAc can't do without dual boot is Access. That's about it.

So, mixing Macs and PCS are a non-issue. I have thumb drives that go from one to the other, they can be networked, etc. So, you can drop that myth.
Remember I work for the public sector. We are woefully out of date. We just switched from XP to 7. The iPhones they were talking about were 4 not not 4S. Our detectives are still using CRT screens.

Then their is cost. We can get Android phones that are comparable or even exceed what tey are talking about with Apple for less cost.

You and I work in completely different worlds.

Then their is cost.
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
Old 04-14-2013, 14:17   #66
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Remember I work for the public sector. We are woefully out of date. We just switched from XP to 7. The iPhones they were talking about were 4 not not 4S. Our detectives are still using CRT screens.

Then their is cost. We can get Android phones that are comparable or even exceed what tey are talking about with Apple for less cost.

You and I work in completely different worlds.

Then their is cost.
I work for a private profit juggernaut. They issue super crappy Dell laptops and iphone4.

And I work in the productive sector. That means my employer has to pay for my equipment AND yours.

Last edited by certifiedfunds; 04-14-2013 at 14:19..
Old 04-14-2013, 16:10   #67
airmotive
Tin Kicker

Quote:

And I work in the productive sector. That means my employer has to pay for my equipment AND yours.

The Okie Corral
Old 04-14-2013, 18:37   #68
CAcop

Quote:
Originally Posted by airmotive View Post
The Okie Corral
The only problem is that he lives in a state that received more fed dollars than it puts out. My state pays for his roads.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 04-14-2013, 19:37   #69
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
The only problem is that he lives in a state that received more fed dollars than it puts out. My state pays for his roads.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Keep the money. Don't want it.

But get your hands off of our oil, and our river.

Was something I said inaccurate? Instead of lashing out I kinda thought you'd nod and say thank you.

Last edited by certifiedfunds; 04-14-2013 at 19:38..
Old 04-15-2013, 18:05   #70
airmotive
Tin Kicker

So today the iMac got a new video card (again) hard drive (again) and LCD temp sensor.

...and we're not able to load the OS and none of the backups are recognized.

Wifey is back on the Apple customer support line speaking with the third "specialist".
Another HD reformat and then I predict an iMac sitting in the front yard in the rain.

I also learned a neat i-Fact...If the 50-cent power switch on the iMac goes bad, you have to replace the entire body of the computer.

...and while I typed that i-fact...the re-re-re-install of the OS failed.

Oh boy....it's gonna get exciting......

Last edited by airmotive; 04-15-2013 at 18:06..
airmotive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 18:09   #71
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Did she try holding down the option button when turning it on?

Old 04-15-2013, 18:12   #72
airmotive
Tin Kicker

Oh several times. She's talking with customer support right now...

The tension is palpable.

edited to add.... The Apple CS quote of the day: "There's something in there causing something...."

FWIW. the Apple support girl sounds cute.

Last edited by airmotive; 04-15-2013 at 18:21..
airmotive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 18:20   #73
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

How about the control key?

Honestly, in my professional opinion, it sounds like a cat might've climbed in there and had a litter of kittens. See if you can see any bedding inside.

Last edited by certifiedfunds; 04-15-2013 at 18:22..
Old 04-15-2013, 18:30   #74
airmotive
Tin Kicker

Quote:
How about the control key?

Honestly, in my professional opinion, it sounds like a cat might've climbed in there and had a litter of kittens. See if you can see any bedding inside.

I laugh....but we already checked.
See Post #1.
So I cry...
Old 04-15-2013, 18:33   #75
kiole

I'd call up AppleCare and ask for a new computer as you obviously have a dud. I'd keep asking for supervisors until you get the answer you want.

Try talking to the manager of the local apple store

Last edited by kiole; 04-15-2013 at 18:34..
kiole is offline   Reply With Quote