Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:09   #26
jtmac
Señor Member

Send a message via AIM to jtmac Send a message via Yahoo to jtmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by airmotive View Post
Come on over big boy and you haul the damn thing across a crowded shopping mall parking lot, through the double doors and through the freakin food court....oh....and if it slips from your hand or someone lets a door slam into it....you owe me $2K. I've made the trip eight times and my wife's done it twice. Your turn.
So... just like any other product you can have repaired at a local service center? Except the ones that send a repairman out to your house... like they eventually did.

No one produces 100% perfect products. I know someone who is constantly leaving his Honda Civic with the dealership because they can't seem to fix the oil leak it's had since he bought it new.

You can build your own cheaper? Big whoop. I built mine, too. What I couldn't build myself is a mid to high end PC all fit inside the back of a monitor housing. And by the time I add the price of a quality IPS monitor to my own PC build the price difference isn't that huge. This is going to be the case with any laptop or integrated desktop, regardless of manufacturer.

You got a lemon iMac. That sucks. But none of these problems or expenses are worse with Apple than someone else. You've just used them to launch into another PC fanboy rant.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:10   #27
John Rambo
Raven

Its made with all the same crap as any other computer out there. And crap breaks. Doesn't matter if you overpay for said crap by upwards of 50% or not.

Last edited by John Rambo; 04-13-2013 at 11:10..
John Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:20   #28
airmotive
Tin Kicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmac View Post
You've just used them to launch into another PC fanboy rant.
Please....do tell me where I went onto another PC fanboy rant.
I'll wait...

The issue here is Apple customer support.
It is approaching that of Gateway and IBM....two prolific PC manufacturer....oh wait...they're not any more.

Last edited by airmotive; 04-13-2013 at 11:23..
airmotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:26   #29
.264 magnum
CLM Number 121
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Oh yeah....it's all been under warranty.
(except it cost 90 bucks to clone the data from the recalled hard drive onto the new one...that was kinda crappy: Apple would replace the defective hard drive with a new, BLANK hard drive and the rest is up to you, or you can pay us $90 to clone your old drive.)

Okay...last post.
"Hurricane Wifey" has been downgraded to a tropical storm.

For Sale: Everything Mac. "As-Is"
The Okie Corral
(Not pictured: Every model of iPhone ever made, first two generations of iPad, MacBook Air and an AirPort.)
(Yes....she has that many keyboards, magic mice, magic pads and God knows how many spare chargers, adapters, etc....)
I agree with 686Owner that it sounds like something is up on your end.

1. Do you have a multi-meter? If so check your AC power for voltage and amperage. Should take seconds.

2. If you have one of those $3 plug provers try that. It's amazing how many homes have non-grounded wiring. Ground that bleeds off lots of AC etc. plus your plug may well be mis-wired (although it's difficult to imagine that would cause you computer to serially die).

3. If you have a bunch of stuff and the computer plugged into a power strip try a different strip.

4. DC-offset, sometimes things like clocks, computer peripherals, flat screens, or computers themselves, anything with a crappy switching power supply, inject DC back into your AC. This almost never a problem for anything other than your utility and anything your have that uses a torodial transformer.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:42   #30
Taphius

Quote:
Originally Posted by .264 magnum View Post
I agree with 686Owner that it sounds like something is up on your end.

1. Do you have a multi-meter? If so check your AC power for voltage and amperage. Should take seconds.

2. If you have one of those $3 plug provers try that. It's amazing how many homes have non-grounded wiring. Ground that bleeds off lots of AC etc. plus your plug may well be mis-wired (although it's difficult to imagine that would cause you computer to serially die).

3. If you have a bunch of stuff and the computer plugged into a power strip try a different strip.

4. DC-offset, sometimes things like clocks, computer peripherals, flat screens, or computers themselves, anything with a crappy switching power supply, inject DC back into your AC. This almost never a problem for anything other than your utility and anything your have that uses a torodial transformer.
He stated it is running of an UPS

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
Taphius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:44   #31
airmotive
Tin Kicker

Does the UPS (CyberPower AVS1500) prevent the sort of feedback you're talking about? (less than 3 months old)
The only thing plugged into it is the iMac, 23" monitor and MyBook (1TB backup).

Last edited by airmotive; 04-13-2013 at 11:45..
Old 04-13-2013, 11:54   #32
John Rambo
Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taphius View Post

Hah.

I just had to have this conversation with a new client who called in after a power surge Wednesday. Which came 2 weeks after my home server blew up due to a power surge in a brilliant display of sparks and fire.

Both were on UPSs.

Last edited by John Rambo; 04-13-2013 at 11:55..
John Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:11   #33
.264 magnum
CLM Number 121
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Does the UPS (CyberPower AVS1500) prevent the sort of feedback you're talking about? (less than 3 months old)
The only thing plugged into it is the iMac, 23" monitor and MyBook (1TB backup).
No. The only reasonable way to get rid of DC offset/distorted 60 hz AC isn't very reasonable. AC regenerators, like those used in high end audio, medical equipment etc., are very expensive and inefficient.

ETA - you can measure your AC waveform with most serious Fluke meters DC offset is a bear to measure without specialized equipment.

Do you have either and old plasma or LCD TV - like first generation old?

Last edited by .264 magnum; 04-13-2013 at 12:15..
.264 magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:12   #34
.264 magnum
CLM Number 121
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taphius View Post

A UPS won't help unless the power goes off.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:19   #35
686Owner
NRA Life Member

Quote:
(except it cost 90 bucks to clone the data from the recalled hard drive onto the new one...that was kinda crappy: Apple would replace the defective hard drive with a new, BLANK hard drive and the rest is up to you, or you can pay us $90 to clone your old drive.)

Okay...last post.

The Okie Corral
(Not pictured: Every model of iPhone ever made, first two generations of iPad, MacBook Air and an AirPort.)
(Yes....she has that many keyboards, magic mice, magic pads and God knows how many spare chargers, adapters, etc....)

I'll give you $50. I heard their customer service is as bad as Gateway.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:23   #36
NMGlocker
BOOM headshot

The only computer i've ever had trouble that required manufacturer repair (been at it since the 80286 8MHz days) is my wife's 2012 iMac. And yes, hauling a 21.5" computer around the mall is a pain in the rear.
All my PC's (Win 3.0 - Win8) have "just worked".
Old 04-13-2013, 12:26   #37
GreenDrake
Rip Lips

Quote:
Please....do tell me where I went onto another PC fanboy rant.
I'll wait...

The issue here is Apple customer support.
It is approaching that of Gateway and IBM....two prolific PC manufacturer....oh wait...they're not any more.
You mean the customer support that leads the industry 9 years in a row? That one?
Old 04-13-2013, 12:29   #38
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:

Okay...last post.

The Okie Corral
That's a whole lotta iStuff. How's the other stuff holding up?

I bet you can get them to replace it. If not, Maybe the smart thing to do would be to let apple fix it, sell it on Craig'slist and buy another.
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:42   #39
Breadman03

Send a message via Skype™ to Breadman03
Quote:

Okay...last post.

The Okie Corral
Show them that picture and tell them that you would greatly appreciate them replacing it with a new unit, as you would hate to need to go to the Windows side.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:47   #40
airmotive
Tin Kicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadman03 View Post
Show them that picture and tell them that you would greatly appreciate them replacing it with a new unit, as you would hate to need to go to the Windows side.
That was the precise reason she took the photo.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:52   #41
airmotive
Tin Kicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDrake View Post
You mean the customer support that leads the industry 9 years in a row? That one?
Yep. That one.
9 years, huh?
Good thing nothing changes too quickly in the computer industry. At least Steve Jobs is making sure Apple's standards haven't changed.
Because we all know people wont blindly support a company, right?

I'm trying to imagine this thread if it was about a General Motors vehicle that was constantly going back into the shop and keeping wifey from doing her job. Ya think the responses would be any different?

Last edited by airmotive; 04-13-2013 at 12:56..
Old 04-13-2013, 12:54   #42
RenoF250

Quote:
Originally Posted by .264 magnum View Post
No. The only reasonable way to get rid of DC offset/distorted 60 hz AC isn't very reasonable. AC regenerators, like those used in high end audio, medical equipment etc., are very expensive and inefficient.

ETA - you can measure your AC waveform with most serious Fluke meters DC offset is a bear to measure without specialized equipment.

Do you have either and old plasma or LCD TV - like first generation old?
What are you talking about? You can measure DC just fine with a Fluke. Also, any transformer in the house will be shorting the DC out. I really doubt it is a power problem. If it is Apple has a weak PS, most can handle a lot of trash and his other units are not having these issues.

The best part of the iMAC is the new ones glue the screen on rather than magnets so you cannot work on them at all. My BIL just learned that the hard way.
RenoF250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 13:00   #43
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoF250 View Post
What are you talking about? You can measure DC just fine with a Fluke. Also, any transformer in the house will be shorting the DC out. I really doubt it is a power problem. If it is Apple has a weak PS, most can handle a lot of trash and his other units are not having these issues.

The best part of the iMAC is the new ones glue the screen on rather than magnets so you cannot work on them at all. My BIL just learned that the hard way.
Those have been out less than a year, right? Why's your BIL cracking it open to fix it?
Old 04-13-2013, 13:03   #44
ilgunguygt
Enslaved in IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIPPER 348 View Post
Here at the Flipper Estate we have happily been running iMacs and Powerbooks trouble free since 1988.
Wow, your fellow gun grabbing liberal Al Gore must have hooked you up 10 years before they came out then!
Old 04-13-2013, 13:24   #45
RenoF250

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
Those have been out less than a year, right? Why's your BIL cracking it open to fix it?
Dog pulled it on the floor and cracked the glass. He went to fix thinking it was magnets and broke the glass worse and the LCD.
Old 04-13-2013, 14:34   #46
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Dog pulled it on the floor and cracked the glass. He went to fix thinking it was magnets and broke the glass worse and the LCD.
Oh wow. That sucks. They aren't designed for that

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 04-13-2013, 15:17   #47
RenoF250

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
Oh wow. That sucks. They aren't designed for that

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Yeah certainly not blaming it for breaking from the floor trip but gluing instead of magnets is stupid. Even if I like Apple I would likely boycott them for that.
Old 04-13-2013, 15:29   #48
waawaaweenie

for the white screen on boot up

have you tried holding down the option key just after the start up chime?

my 7 year old Mac Pro needs that done on occasion or else it just has a white screen
waawaaweenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 17:35   #49
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

Quote:
22 pounds...it's the big one.
It's not the weight...it's toting the big, slippery, delicate, EXPENSIVE computer back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and.....

Just took this....wifey, enjoying here iMac while talking to customer support. The screen is a lovely shade of white. It's very soothing.
The Okie Corral
Hey! $2000 nightlight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 686Owner View Post
BTW, lots of people have tried to say PCs were perfect. It's just that their computers crashed before they hit the submit button so the posts never make it to the internet.

Good luck AM. I'd still hold out for a new machine.
Old 04-13-2013, 17:58   #50
.264 magnum
CLM Number 121
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:

Sure you can measure DC with most any meter Fluke or not. Measuring a few percent of intermittent DC on an AC line is a whole different matter. Do you have a Fluke that you can set to AC while measure varying quantities of DC? Fluke makes them but they are kilo-bucks.

Second, "shorting the DC out"......
A. Does not work with torodial transformers at more than trace quantities of DC - toroids hum audibly when faced with DC
B. Potentially if ones ground/earth isn't proper this will not work at all

http://sound.westhost.com/articles/xfmr-dc.htm

Last edited by .264 magnum; 04-13-2013 at 18:11..
.264 magnum is offline   Reply With Quote