SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 19:49   #1
MSims

Bushmaster carbon-15 any good?

Im new to Ar-15... Been a handgun guy all my life but now want to get into rifles... A store is selling Bushmaster Carbon 15 for $849.99... Is the price decent and what are the good and cons... Plus only thing that i didnt really like is you can put regular sights on it you have to put a red dot...
Old 04-18-2013, 19:54   #2
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

I've heard of too many problems with them to take the chance. Now isn't a very good time to buy an AR anyway, prices are sky high.
For the last time
Old 04-18-2013, 20:01   #3
I'M Glockamolie

For a casual shooter it may be ok, but I'd spend a few hundred more and get a "real" AR. They're out there, and getting more plentiful and reasonably priced by the day.
Old 04-18-2013, 20:11   #4
ronin.45

None of the ones I've seen have been good. Lots of issues including cracked receivers.
Old 04-18-2013, 20:12   #5
MSims

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'M Glockamolie View Post
For a casual shooter it may be ok, but I'd spend a few hundred more and get a "real" AR. They're out there, and getting more plentiful and reasonably priced by the day.
So whats a real Ar for a decent price and how much
Old 04-18-2013, 20:37   #6
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSims View Post
Im new to Ar-15... Been a handgun guy all my life but now want to get into rifles... A store is selling Bushmaster Carbon 15 for $849.99... Is the price decent and what are the good and cons... Plus only thing that i didnt really like is you can put regular sights on it you have to put a red dot...
I would absolutely NOT pay $850 for a Bushmaster.

You can get higher quality AR's for the same amount, or a little bit more.

Do some searches and some reading here and in GT's black rifle subforum, as well as on www.m4carbine.net and, yes, even www.ar15.com

Believe me, there is far more out there...readily accessible...just waiting to be read than you could ever possibly imagine, and one piddly little thread here isn't going to hold a candle to all the other info that is out there

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Old 04-18-2013, 20:47   #7
donmor53

BZZZZZZT! BZZZZZZZT!

Carbon ARs get the buzzer....

BZZZZZZT! BZZZZZZZT!

Last edited by donmor53; 04-18-2013 at 20:47..
Old 04-18-2013, 20:48   #8
RJ's Guns

I have had no problems with the one that I own. I like the fact that it is light weight and reasonably accurate.

RJ
Old 04-18-2013, 20:59   #9
copo9560

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSims View Post
So whats a real Ar for a decent price and how much

Colt LE6920 - $1,097 at Walmart. Not easy to find but if you are persistent you might find one.
Old 04-18-2013, 21:00   #10
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by copo9560 View Post
Colt LE6920 - $1,097 at Walmart. Not easy to find but if you are persistent you might find one.
That would be a great way to go, I think.

If you are insistent upon the ~$850 price point dig around until you can get a S&W M&P 15 for about that price.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)

Last edited by Warp; 04-18-2013 at 21:01..
Old 04-18-2013, 21:01   #11
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
That would be a great way to go, I think.
Can't beat it, especially right now!
For the last time
Old 04-18-2013, 22:41   #12
mjkeat

Leave it lay and continue on your way. BM is garbage 99% of the time and a carbon version is, well, worse.

I will say the group I train w/ has a BM they loan out. It has never had an issue that I've witnessed. I'm counting this as the 1%. We joke about it after every class.

Last edited by mjkeat; 04-18-2013 at 22:41..
Old 04-18-2013, 23:11   #13
M2 Carbine

I've had the pistol for a long time but I wouldn't buy a Carbon 15 rifle.
Old 04-19-2013, 14:00   #14
PEC-Memphis
Scottish Member

I would pass on the Carbon-15 unless it was cheap enough to replace the upper receiver and still be below you price point.

I don't know of any lower receiver failures, but there is lots of information about failures of upper receivers.

With than being said, I've recently seen a Bushmaster carbine for $699 with aluminum upper and lower. (Sportmans in S'haven, MS).

I've also seen a Colt 6920 at Walmart for $1069 (S'haven, MS).

Of the two, I'd go with the Colt. I have had some experience with early Bushmaster rifles (pre-1990) and they were/are good rifles. Ownership has changed over the years - and they get pooh-pooh'ed a lot around here - I'm not sure of the quality of the current manufacture.

DPMS has been pooh-pooh'ed as well. I've put together a couple of rifles with DPMS parts, and sighted in a couple more of DPMS rifles. At their price point they seemed to be pretty good. They were all less than 2 MOA, and one was just over 1 MOA @ 100 yds. They've been criticized for their gas key staking - but all of the one's I've seen were staked correctly. The only questionable staking on a gas key I've personally seen was on a Larue - so go figure.
Old 04-19-2013, 16:16   #15
RJ's Guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Leave it lay and continue on your way. BM is garbage 99% of the time and a carbon version is, well, worse.

I will say the group I train w/ has a BM they loan out. It has never had an issue that I've witnessed. I'm counting this as the 1%. We joke about it after every class.

Do you have any first hand personal experience with Bushmaster rifles, and particularly the Carbon 15 models, to back-up your statement that “BM is garbage 99% of the time and a carbon version is, well,worse.” Have you ever personally owned a Bushmaster rifle that has malfunctioned or even witnessed a Bushmaster rifle malfunction?

RJ
Old 04-19-2013, 16:16   #16
Adamz04

I owned one for a year or so and it functioned as it should I had no problems with it and it was pretty accurate. It was super light almost felt like a toy. That being said it was pretty cheap and left me wanting a "real rifle". Needless to say I sold it and now I have a spikes tactical rifle and the quality difference is huge. I only paid 649$ for my carbon 15. If I could do it over again I would have waited for a better gun.
Old 04-19-2013, 18:37   #17
Strizzi

My boss/shooting buddy owned one and last summer he shot over 1000 rounds of various ammo from tulammo, federal, pmc, and others. His shot flawlessly and ate anything. I've heard they are hit or miss but I bought a little better ar and neither of us even had a hiccup. Good luck!
Old 04-19-2013, 18:43   #18
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

My Dad bought one this past year. I tried my best to talk him out of it, to no avail.
However. Since its purchase we have run 2000 rounds through it without a hitch.

The downside is that only Lancer magazines will drop free, and the trigger is gritty as hell.

Alexander Hamilton, author of Federalist No. 1. 10/27/1787
Old 04-19-2013, 20:39   #19
RJ's Guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin.45 View Post
None of the ones I've seen have been good. Lots of issues including cracked receivers.
Did you own a Bushmaster rifle that developed a "cracked" receiver?

Did you personally see a Bushmaster rifle with a cracked receiver? If so, how many Bushmaster rifles, with "cracked receivers," did you personally observe?

RJ
Old 04-19-2013, 22:06   #20
mjkeat

Sounds like someone has a soft spot for BM.

Closed Thread