Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-14-2013, 22:13   #41
Donn57
Just me

Quote:
Originally Posted by G29Reload View Post
Not a fair comparison. Wtc wasnt a residence. And it was politically sensitive both in appearance location and significance. Compound ownership and control issues.
Perhaps it wasn't a fair comparison, but I still say you couldn't rebuild an American city after a nuke strike within five years. For one thing, some government agency would declare the area was unsafe and not allow anyone within some arbitrary distance of the city.
Donn57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 22:19   #42
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn57 View Post
Perhaps it wasn't a fair comparison, but I still say you couldn't rebuild an American city after a nuke strike within five years. For one thing, some government agency would declare the area was unsafe and not allow anyone within some arbitrary distance of the city.
Don't forget the political and legal wranglings when some Imam wants to build a Mosque on the site.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:44   #43
beatcop

Grab any old Army NBC manuals you can find...some of the older ones are a little scarce, but they are better than the newer ones.

Do some reading on dosimetry. Once you understand the dose/rate you get a better perspective on how to measure what's out there. Anecdotes about survivng a blast in a safe give false hope...you may not be vaporized, but you will absorb a lethal dose in moments...or at least when you come outfor air.

Look up the charts that show materials and the thicknesses needed. Hopefully distance from a potential target area is your friend.
beatcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:00   #44
ezthumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batesmotel View Post
I'm not. You're not. None of us are.

I was a NBC training NCO in the Marines.
Nukes suck but not as bad as Bio.
This^^^

Right after 9/11 I am watching every idiot buying gas masks...and have no flipping clue how to use it. Most of them had the wrong filters let alone how to don the mask and purge it.

Then I am watching on the news on "How to use the gasmask"...and the dumb butt brought the mask up from his waste to his face...guess what he just scooped up...

Hell, I worked directly with Minuteman III's, GLCM's, SHRAMS..and those little bio/chem things we were not supposed to have. And even though we were highly trained, live it with everyday, they told us that we would experience a 30 to 40% mortality rate.

I guess it is a good thing we are at least aware of it...but the only thing I know that will increase your chances is to move to an area that has no target priority.
ezthumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:14   #45
boone10
Glockeologist

not prepared at all for nukes/radiation in the actual hot or even warm zone...

I don't believe that I (or the overwhelming vast majority of people for that matter) can be fully prepared for everything. I know a fair amount about radiation, but don't know near enough NOR do I care to spend the time and effort to learn more about it. Acquiring and maintaining the equipment that would be necessary to effectively "prepare" for a nuclear attack is simply not gonna happen at my place.

We prepare for everything "in general" and very few "specifically". Radiation is a long shot, but the affected human "fallout" of people in a post-attack, chaotic nation is my main source of concern.
boone10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 16:19   #46
FH Alum

Quote:
I have my camping chair and fire set up at the beach. Allll set...
I know this was made in jest but there is actually some truth/wisdom here.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:50   #47
robrides85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batesmotel View Post
I'm not. You're not. None of us are.

I was a NBC training NCO in the Marines.
Nukes suck but not as bad as Bio.
+1

Doesn't take a factory full of centrifuges to produce a weapon of mass destruction.

These guys took a virus with a >50% mortality rate that wasn't transmissible when one coughed/sneezed, and gave it the ability to jump via aerosol (cough/sneeze).

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/33.../1534.abstract
robrides85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:12   #48
pugman

If a dirty bomb were to go off in a major city...NY, Miami, Chicago...anywhere prepped or not it will affect every human being in the U.S for the rest of our lives.

You think passing things like the Patriot Act, the formation of the TSA and Homeland Security were bad....watch the government drive the fear of the average American voter after a nuke or even dirty bomb goes off.
Old 04-17-2013, 21:43   #49
Waboom!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
Obviously, a direct hit is a moot point. But after we get outside the serious destruction and vaporization zone, how well geared up (Knowledge, skill, and materials) are you to survive?

Me, not really at all. I've got a lot of other things on my list above that. A lot of my current preps would help me avoid exposure, but I don't pack iodine, lead lined rooms, gieger counters etc...I just feel that a lot of Nuke survival would be about highly specialized gear, lots of training, and in reality I'd have neither and be fooling myself. But I could be wrong.

Just an entertaining consideration, given NK's wackiness. You know what if they had channeled all there efforts into one stealthy bird and it actually caught a good tailwind, and USAF failed to respond due to disbelief it could happen, etc...
tss... not at all. I refuse to live in THAT level of fear/paranoia.
Waboom!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:28   #50
bdcochran

". . . a lot of Nuke survival would be about highly specialized gear, lots of training. . . ".

Not really. There are different types of radiation. Moreover, the different types have different half lives.

The radiation one typically encounters is one of four types: alpha radiation, beta radiation, gamma radiation, and x radiation.

So, let's speculate. You are in downtown Houston at a high rise. NK launched a strike and you know with absolute certainty that Houston will be hit. So, you go to the deepest level of the subterranean garage. Now you have protection. However, the building may collapse. You may have to stay days without food or water. There will be fires raging. People will be foraging like ants and dying because of various illnesses that are kept under some control by sanitation and regular garbage pickups.

So, it isn't a matter of needing specialized gear. The problem is that it is simply one more challenge to the load that exists in virtually all extended shtf scenarios.
bdcochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:23   #51
LongGun1
StraightShooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcochran View Post
". . . a lot of Nuke survival would be about highly specialized gear, lots of training. . . ".

Not really. There are different types of radiation. Moreover, the different types have different half lives.

The radiation one typically encounters is one of four types: alpha radiation, beta radiation, gamma radiation, and x radiation.

So, let's speculate. You are in downtown Houston at a high rise. NK launched a strike and you know with absolute certainty that Houston will be hit. So, you go to the deepest level of the subterranean garage. Now you have protection. However, the building may collapse. You may have to stay days without food or water. There will be fires raging. People will be foraging like ants and dying because of various illnesses that are kept under some control by sanitation and regular garbage pickups.

So, it isn't a matter of needing specialized gear. The problem is that it is simply one more challenge to the load that exists in virtually all extended shtf scenarios.
+1

"Accuracy first, Speed second.....Speed first, Accuracy never"
LongGun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 16:51   #52
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

If you want a long term effects view, look at the Handford downwinders or Chernobyl.

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

Say NO! to Washington I-594
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:59   #53
FatBoy

My preps for a Nuke in my neck of the woods include a bottle of bourbon and an ISOM cigar.

Some people are like Slinkies: Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
FatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 17:07   #54
PEC-Memphis
Scottish Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800 View Post
If you have seen his preps, you would understand that he is about 3 light years ahead of the most prepared of us... at the minimum.
If he is really 3 light years ahead of us, he wouldn't worry about any of our enemies with current/future nuclear capability as it would take approximately 134,118 years** to get to him - of course he'd have other problems to think about.

**Assuming a typical ICBM speed of 15,000 mil/hr, and he is 1.76 X 10^+13 miles away (3 light years).

Last edited by PEC-Memphis; 04-22-2013 at 17:09..
PEC-Memphis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 20:27   #55
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEC-Memphis View Post
If he is really 3 light years ahead of us, he wouldn't worry about any of our enemies with current/future nuclear capability as it would take approximately 134,118 years** to get to him - of course he'd have other problems to think about.

**Assuming a typical ICBM speed of 15,000 mil/hr, and he is 1.76 X 10^+13 miles away (3 light years).
He is lightyears ahead in distance ahead in terms of preparation, but not in actual physical distance. I would say the typical ICBM can still get to him physically but would put about as much dent in his preps as it would in closing that same distance if he was really that far away, physically.
Old 04-23-2013, 00:19   #56
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

He's got me by his class 3 stuff,other than the fact he's 10ft tall were about even.'08.

Hey LG-------------

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 21:06   #57
LongGun1
StraightShooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirgi08 View Post
He's got me by his class 3 stuff,other than the fact he's 10ft tall were about even.'08.

Hey LG-------------
Many more irons in the fire & spread out much thinner than this time 10 years ago....

..that's for sure! :wink:

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

"Accuracy first, Speed second.....Speed first, Accuracy never"
LongGun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:07   #58
meleors
Cranky Member

I live 20 miles west of downtown Chicago, in other words, Ground Zero for a nuke strike!
No prep possible.
meleors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:21   #59
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

that's not as bad as those of us living within visual distance of downtown LA.
Old 05-15-2013, 19:05   #60
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by meleors View Post
I live 20 miles west of downtown Chicago, in other words, Ground Zero for a nuke strike!
No prep possible.
Not true at all. Basement and a food supply and thats half the battle. Not a good place to be but you really dont know how it will play out. Combatants are more interested in military targets.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
G29Reload is offline   Reply With Quote