GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 12:23   #51
LongGun1
StraightShooter
 
LongGun1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: N E Louisiana & N Arkansas
Posts: 12,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcochran View Post
". . . a lot of Nuke survival would be about highly specialized gear, lots of training. . . ".

Not really. There are different types of radiation. Moreover, the different types have different half lives.

The radiation one typically encounters is one of four types: alpha radiation, beta radiation, gamma radiation, and x radiation.

So, let's speculate. You are in downtown Houston at a high rise. NK launched a strike and you know with absolute certainty that Houston will be hit. So, you go to the deepest level of the subterranean garage. Now you have protection. However, the building may collapse. You may have to stay days without food or water. There will be fires raging. People will be foraging like ants and dying because of various illnesses that are kept under some control by sanitation and regular garbage pickups.

So, it isn't a matter of needing specialized gear. The problem is that it is simply one more challenge to the load that exists in virtually all extended shtf scenarios.
+1
__________________
"Got Preps"??

"Accuracy first, Speed second.....Speed first, Accuracy never"
LongGun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 16:51   #52
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: North of Seattle, South of Canada
Posts: 11,171


If you want a long term effects view, look at the Handford downwinders or Chernobyl.
__________________
Neo-pagan, FORMER Libertarian, Cop, Gun Owner, Jewish Heritage - I'm the small talk at parties!

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

Say NO! to Washington I-594
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:59   #53
FatBoy
Senior Member
 
FatBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 2,218


My preps for a Nuke in my neck of the woods include a bottle of bourbon and an ISOM cigar.
__________________
GOA, NRA{LIFER}
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice... (RUSH)
...liberals always feel your pain unless of course they caused it.(D Miller)

Some people are like Slinkies: Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
FatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 17:07   #54
PEC-Memphis
Scottish Member
 
PEC-Memphis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Doh ?
Posts: 3,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800 View Post
If you have seen his preps, you would understand that he is about 3 light years ahead of the most prepared of us... at the minimum.
If he is really 3 light years ahead of us, he wouldn't worry about any of our enemies with current/future nuclear capability as it would take approximately 134,118 years** to get to him - of course he'd have other problems to think about.

**Assuming a typical ICBM speed of 15,000 mil/hr, and he is 1.76 X 10^+13 miles away (3 light years).
__________________
To all members of our Armed Forces - past, present and future - thank you for your service to our country.

Last edited by PEC-Memphis; 04-22-2013 at 17:09..
PEC-Memphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 20:27   #55
lawman800
Juris Glocktor
 
lawman800's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Out the frying pan & into the fire!
Posts: 37,315
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEC-Memphis View Post
If he is really 3 light years ahead of us, he wouldn't worry about any of our enemies with current/future nuclear capability as it would take approximately 134,118 years** to get to him - of course he'd have other problems to think about.

**Assuming a typical ICBM speed of 15,000 mil/hr, and he is 1.76 X 10^+13 miles away (3 light years).
He is lightyears ahead in distance ahead in terms of preparation, but not in actual physical distance. I would say the typical ICBM can still get to him physically but would put about as much dent in his preps as it would in closing that same distance if he was really that far away, physically.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron:
I've said it before and I'll say it here: they'd look better with lividity.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 00:19   #56
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.
 
kirgi08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Acme proving grounds.
Posts: 26,668
Blog Entries: 1


He's got me by his class 3 stuff,other than the fact he's 10ft tall were about even.'08.


Hey LG-------------
__________________
I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 21:06   #57
LongGun1
StraightShooter
 
LongGun1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: N E Louisiana & N Arkansas
Posts: 12,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirgi08 View Post
He's got me by his class 3 stuff,other than the fact he's 10ft tall were about even.'08.


Hey LG-------------
Many more irons in the fire & spread out much thinner than this time 10 years ago....

..that's for sure! :wink:





Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2
__________________
"Got Preps"??

"Accuracy first, Speed second.....Speed first, Accuracy never"
LongGun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:07   #58
meleors
Cranky Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 861
I live 20 miles west of downtown Chicago, in other words, Ground Zero for a nuke strike!
No prep possible.
meleors is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:21   #59
lawman800
Juris Glocktor
 
lawman800's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Out the frying pan & into the fire!
Posts: 37,315
Blog Entries: 1
that's not as bad as those of us living within visual distance of downtown LA.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron:
I've said it before and I'll say it here: they'd look better with lividity.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 19:05   #60
G29Reload
Tread Lightly
 
G29Reload's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 11,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by meleors View Post
I live 20 miles west of downtown Chicago, in other words, Ground Zero for a nuke strike!
No prep possible.
Not true at all. Basement and a food supply and thats half the battle. Not a good place to be but you really dont know how it will play out. Combatants are more interested in military targets.
__________________
Avenge me...AVENGE ME!
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_z2d4IxltHJ...on%26Fence.png
G29Reload is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 23:45   #61
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.
 
kirgi08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Acme proving grounds.
Posts: 26,668
Blog Entries: 1


Quote:
Originally Posted by G29Reload View Post
Not true at all. Basement and a food supply and thats half the battle. Not a good place to be but you really dont know how it will play out. Combatants are more interested in military targets.
If someone lets the genie out the bottle they will be looking for more than military targets/damage.Collateral damage is an objective of any mass strike.

How many folk does it take ta treat 1 wounded soldier/civilian? Granted your above about shelter/food are valid points.We have basements in both houses and plenty of food/water/meds ect.We don't live near nuke plants/military bases.SC is mostly powered by nuclear plants and that is a concern for us,an attack on a plant and the right wind patterns can screw us no matter what steps we have take.

All this said,I pray the genie never gets uncorked.'08.
__________________
I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:00   #62
G29Reload
Tread Lightly
 
G29Reload's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 11,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirgi08 View Post
If someone lets the genie out the bottle they will be looking for more than military targets/damage.Collateral damage is an objective of any mass strike.
In the margin, barely. The laws of self preservation say they will stick with predominantly military targets because if a potential victor has any chance at all, it will require suppression of retaliation. They have to hunt for and concentrate on suppressing any return fire.
__________________
Avenge me...AVENGE ME!
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_z2d4IxltHJ...on%26Fence.png
G29Reload is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 13:23   #63
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.
 
kirgi08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Acme proving grounds.
Posts: 26,668
Blog Entries: 1


Yer missing a point,the US has become very pacifistic.They will beg for peace rather than understand war.'08.
__________________
I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:00   #64
LongGun1
StraightShooter
 
LongGun1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: N E Louisiana & N Arkansas
Posts: 12,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by G29Reload View Post
In the margin, barely. The laws of self preservation say they will stick with predominantly military targets because if a potential victor has any chance at all, it will require suppression of retaliation. They have to hunt for and concentrate on suppressing any return fire.
IMO.....the most effective projection of a single nuclear weapon....or of the 1st strike....either by a lesser power...or of a major power.....will be a HEMP!

An CONUS-wide HEMP(s) will impact all of America..... military & civilian. ...rich & poor....powerful or not....prepared or not!

It is my opinion who initiated the HEMP may be the least of our concerns...

..as I believe the civil unrest between the "producers" & "entitlement class" will begin to consume America until what is remaining is unrecognizable.
__________________
"Got Preps"??

"Accuracy first, Speed second.....Speed first, Accuracy never"

Last edited by LongGun1; 05-26-2013 at 12:11..
LongGun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:52   #65
lawman800
Juris Glocktor
 
lawman800's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Out the frying pan & into the fire!
Posts: 37,315
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongGun1
as I believe the civil unrest between the "producers" & "entitlement class" will begin to consume America until what is remaining is unrecognizable.
You mean kinda like now?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron:
I've said it before and I'll say it here: they'd look better with lividity.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 17:46   #66
LongGun1
StraightShooter
 
LongGun1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: N E Louisiana & N Arkansas
Posts: 12,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800 View Post
You mean kinda like now?
This is just the stage being set...

..the fat lady has yet to utter a note!
__________________
"Got Preps"??

"Accuracy first, Speed second.....Speed first, Accuracy never"
LongGun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 17:50   #67
dukeblue91
Senior Member
 
dukeblue91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongGun1 View Post
IMO.....the most effective projection of a single nuclear weapon....or of the 1st strike....either by a lesser power...or of a major power.....will be a HEMP!

An CONUS-wide HEMP(s) will impact all of America..... military & civilian. ...rich & poor....powerful or not....prepared or not!

It is my opinion who initiated the HEMP may be the least of our concerns...

..as I believe the civil unrest between the "producers" & "entitlement class" will begin to consume America until what is remaining is unrecognizable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongGun1 View Post
This is just the stage being set...

..the fat lady has yet to utter a note!
Agreed on both accounts.
We have seen nothing yet but I fully believe at some point we will, hopefully not in my lifetime.
dukeblue91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:38   #68
G29Reload
Tread Lightly
 
G29Reload's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 11,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongGun1 View Post
IMO.....the most effective projection of a single nuclear weapon....or of the 1st strike....either by a lesser power...or of a major power.....will be a HEMP!

An CONUS-wide HEMP(s) will impact all of America..... military & civilian. ...rich & poor....powerful or not....prepared or not!

It is my opinion who initiated the HEMP may be the least of our concerns...

..as I believe the civil unrest between the "producers" & "entitlement class" will begin to consume America until what is remaining is unrecognizable.
Only insofar as everyones immediate comfort is concerned. The most effective would be the return fire that wipes out whoever started it.

Whoever initiated is of the highest concern because such a stunt isnt done for entertainment and amusement. Theres a goal in mind and theyre likely not done yet.

Also why EMP is suicide for the attacker. Hardened systems, silos and SLBMs will be activated and the threat will be responded to.
__________________
Avenge me...AVENGE ME!
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_z2d4IxltHJ...on%26Fence.png
G29Reload is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 18:04   #69
I Shooter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 200
If you are talking a single event yes we could survive with out to much problem as long as we were away from ground zero.

If you are talking about a war using the god awful things then bend over and kiss your butt good by. The powers that be claim that only four hundred nukes going off will cause a nuklear winter that could last for years. So in less you have a place where you can live under ground for years with water and food you are going to die.

Our country has thousands of them. If we are hit by a strike we know where it came from and will send a responding attack back. If another country thinks we should have not dun that they may decide to strike us as well and we will strike them back. On and on till every thing is destroyed.

How will you die? You could die from one of the many strikes. That would be the best way to go. You could die of radiation poisoning, starvation, killed by someone looking for food, killed by someone using you as food. There are just so many ways it could happen and you get to watch your family go to.

Think happy thoughts and pray that it never happens. God willing we can all die of old age including our great great great grand kids.

I am not set up for that and never will be. I don't have the money for that. Very few will have the money that it takes to prep for that.

Very few will survive a nuklear war. I don't know if I really would want to. What would be left?
I Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 19:08   #70
fastbolt
Senior Member
 
fastbolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Within the lightning (Northern CA)
Posts: 9,382
Okay, I've been through the semi-standard WMD training offered to public safety.

I've also read my fair share of the NBC/Disaster books back when being a survivalist was a popular new thing. Ah, the 70's.

That said, falling back upon the heavily ingrained training & drills I was subjected to as a youngster attending school, I've thought about getting one of those old school desks they were always having us practice ducking under in the event of a nuclear attack.
__________________
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer
fastbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 00:35   #71
LongGun1
StraightShooter
 
LongGun1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: N E Louisiana & N Arkansas
Posts: 12,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by G29Reload View Post

Also why EMP is suicide for the attacker. Hardened systems, silos and SLBMs will be activated and the threat will be responded to.
And how does that apply to a launch from the hold of a (fill-in-the-blank flagged) freighter just off our east and/or west coast....when the crew scuttles the ship(s) & commits suicide immediately afterwards....maybe an oil slick as the only real evidence they were ever there.

Consider...All of the destructive power of the combined military might of WWII Germany & Japan in the years of WWII did not accomplish anywhere near the damage done to the CONUS on a single day (9/11/2001)....accomplished not by a military force or country.....but by a 'non-state actor'!

And exactly who bore the brunt of our retaliation & military might that terrible day??
Or that month??
That year??
Despite our intensive efforts.. the AQ leader (UBL) was not killed nor captured until a decade later!

We do real well in conventional warfare against conventional armies. ....not so well against non-state actors employing asymmetrical warfare ....our 'wars' in Vietnam, Afghanistan, etc are lopsided examples of professional military vs. civilian militias. The bush wars in Africa are another good study in how the professionals were bested by the militias.

And lets say Iran decides to strike at the "Great Satan" one day in a similar manner with an HEMP or two.....the "fear" of our nuclear deterrent is not much of a disincentive to a strict Islamic culture who strongly believes there is a palace full of virgins waiting in heaven as their reward!
__________________
"Got Preps"??

"Accuracy first, Speed second.....Speed first, Accuracy never"

Last edited by LongGun1; 06-01-2013 at 01:34..
LongGun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:04   #72
COYBOY
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 216
My plan is to bend over and put my head between my legs and kiss my rear good by. Time to see Jesus.
COYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:52   #73
knoxrocks222
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 536
Me and the big man upstairs got things worked out......so I guess you could say I'm preparied
__________________
UN for president!!!
knoxrocks222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 14:05   #74
G29Reload
Tread Lightly
 
G29Reload's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 11,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongGun1 View Post
And how does that apply to a launch from the hold of a (fill-in-the-blank flagged) freighter just off our east and/or west coast....when the crew scuttles the ship(s) & commits suicide immediately afterwards....maybe an oil slick as the only real evidence they were ever there.
Absolutely false.

The US has a catalogue of isotopes from fissionable sources worldwide. Using wingtip sensors on military aircraft that would be dispatched to the blast site, the atmospheric sensing would be able to determine within 24 hours the original source of the weapon by its signature


Using satellite recon (remote sensing) i have no doubt virtually every seagoing ship transiting the worlds oceans are photgraphicallly tracked, especially originating from or passing thru ports of known "bad actors". Its too easy to snap a pic from birds overhead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongGun1 View Post

Consider...All of the destructive power of the combined military might of WWII Germany & Japan in the years of WWII did not accomplish anywhere near the damage done to the CONUS on a single day (9/11/2001)....accomplished not by a military force or country.....but by a 'non-state actor'!

And exactly who bore the brunt of our retaliation & military might that terrible day??
Or that month??
That year??
Despite our intensive efforts.. the AQ leader (UBL) was not killed nor captured until a decade later!

We do real well in conventional warfare against conventional armies. ....not so well against non-state actors employing asymmetrical warfare ....our 'wars' in Vietnam, Afghanistan, etc are lopsided examples of professional military vs. civilian militias. The bush wars in Africa are another good study in how the professionals were bested by the militias.
None of this is remotely relevant to the topic/methods being discussed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongGun1 View Post
And lets say Iran decides to strike at the "Great Satan" one day in a similar manner with an HEMP or two.....the "fear" of our nuclear deterrent is not much of a disincentive to a strict Islamic culture who strongly believes there is a palace full of virgins waiting in heaven as their reward!
Then we will oblige them to where they will never be able to try again, survive and rebuild. Our resilence and destructive power so unleashed guarantees their ultimate failure making it a fools errand.
__________________
Avenge me...AVENGE ME!
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_z2d4IxltHJ...on%26Fence.png
G29Reload is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 15:17   #75
LongGun1
StraightShooter
 
LongGun1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: N E Louisiana & N Arkansas
Posts: 12,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by G29Reload View Post
Absolutely false.

The US has a catalogue of isotopes from fissionable sources worldwide. Using wingtip sensors on military aircraft that would be dispatched to the blast site, the atmospheric sensing would be able to determine within 24 hours the original source
Do you understand the HEMP I am discussing is approximately 300 miles up?

Exactly what military aircraft flies at 1 million, 600 thousand feet agl???

Real simple....No aircraft "flies" at 300 miles up!!

The attitude record for jet aircraft is just over 123 thousand feet.

The attitude record for a rocket plane is 367 thousand feet.


Since we are now relegated to hitching rides with the Russians to get into space..
..and our civilian space effort is still in it's infancy...

..and our country would in all likelihood be self destructing soon after an HEMP...

..with the world realigning into yet a new world order..

...whodoneit...

..just might be a minor consideration by that point!
__________________
"Got Preps"??

"Accuracy first, Speed second.....Speed first, Accuracy never"

Last edited by LongGun1; 06-10-2013 at 15:19..
LongGun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 00:22.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 925
263 Members
662 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42