SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-13-2013, 01:30   #21
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

Unless it's carried on a ship,I don't discount anything.It's not a question of if,it's when.'08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:10   #22
OMDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongGun1 View Post

As for me......I am not the average prepper & have many preps of this nature I hope to never use!

For if I do.....woe to you!
?

OMDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:28   #23
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMDonald View Post
?

What he meant is that if he ever had to use all the various preps he has as the super prepper, the world has definitely gone to beyond normal SHTF and is probably TEOTWAWKI so most of us normal preppers and non-preppers would all be dead at that point.

If you have seen his preps, you would understand that he is about 3 light years ahead of the most prepared of us... at the minimum.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:31   #24
OMDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800 View Post
What he meant is that if he ever had to use all the various preps he has as the super prepper, the world has definitely gone to beyond normal SHTF and is probably TEOTWAWKI so most of us normal preppers and non-preppers would all be dead at that point.

If you have seen his preps, you would understand that he is about 3 light years ahead of the most prepared of us... at the minimum.
Okay, except for the "3 light years ahead" part.
OMDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:06   #25
Aceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMDonald View Post
Okay, except for the "3 light years ahead" part.
I hear you - probably closer to 5 light years...
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:08   #26
Aceman

Well then, let's talkl nuke preps - like dirty bomb etc...

What do you see as the sensible/practical thing to have - and critical knowledge?
Old 04-13-2013, 12:22   #27
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

I'm better prepared than most.

With knowledge.

There's no kidding around, if it happens, it will be bad. But there are also a lot of myths and fright and ignorance.

I've spent a lot of the past month reading about nuke history, the Russians, what was learned from Hiroshima, etc. Also the 50's era prepping that was done and fallout shelters, principles behind them etc and learned quite a few things.

1. A lot of people made fun of Bert the Turtle and Duck and Cover, but the truth is that is still EXACTLY what you should do if caught in the open and unexpectedly. Even at Hiroshima it was found that so much as leaf cover on a tree could protect bark without leaving a mark, while unleaf'd areas below were singed to carbon.

One survivor was only 300 yards from the hypocenter and lived into the 21st century. She was in a heavily fortified building (bank lobby) but that was all it took.

2. If you are more than 5 miles from a blast, chances are you WILL survive, the only question is, how well. Just being in your house helps, a basement is better. Just being under roof cuts fallout radiation in HALF (though that could still be fatal, depending,) and being in a basement can cut it to one tenth.

3. Radiation is DIRECTIONAL. Its not just floating in the air, unless radioactive dust, fallout etc is floating about. That's why you see post event movies, fiction, etc with people wearing gas masks. A particle the size of a pin head lodged in your lung could cause cancer in just a few years. Simple dust masks help. It's what you breath.

4. Time and distance are your friend. Every passing hour helps; the radiation recedes to its half life and continues to drop in intensity. Just staying underground the first couple of days are immeasurably helpful.

5. Being underground or below viewing level for the first minute are crucial. The duck and cover thing, do it. IF you see an inhumanly bright flash, resist the urge to look out the window and stare, the first few seconds are the worst and radiation from the instantaneous effects can last for up to a minute. Depending on distance you should also continue to stay down for any thermal pulse wave, shock wave and wind blast. More people are actually killed by flying glass and debris than radiation. If you're underground, stay there. You've just been spared the worst.

A month of more of stored water, basic medical supplies can get you thru….I've kept a years supply of food so I would be able to survive indefinitely if the blast weren't near me.

Unfortunately, I live about 7 air miles from the President's nuke bunker in N. VA so unless I have advanced warning or about 35 seconds to make the basement, I'm probably toast.

There is a school of thought that its unwise to pull a decapitation strike since you need someone at the other end to shut off the spigot if you were the victorious attacking power, OTOH that would also be counting on an attacker to think rationally. For a known nuke bunker I'd think they'd use a digger (groundburst) which would attenuate the front loading of the blast wave but would produce a s#$%load of fallout.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
G29Reload is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 14:23   #28
gnepig
Remember

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongGun1 View Post
Nice!

All 22 books for $12.85......or $12.85 each?

Either way ....nice score!

Sorry $12.85 each... If it was the other way I'd buy them all and give them out to anyone interested.

http://www.oism.org/nwss/
Thanx for the link LG 1, good read.

I like the post from G29Reload also...

Good thread Aceman, very good information here.
gnepig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 21:16   #29
Liff

Hiroshima and Nagasaki have been continuously inhabited since the bombs were dropped.

The US has tested over 1,000 nuclear weapons on ourselves.

Don't panic. There are better things to worry about. Stress over this topic if you want, but imho there are other areas that should occupy your thoughts.

Thanks.
Liff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 22:24   #30
Paul53
Geezer Boomer

El Paso has refineries, Fort Bliss (1st Armored Division's home), and White Sands Missile Range. I'm less than 10 miles from all of the above. My best guess is that before I can wonder what that big flash is, I'll be dust in the wind.
Old 04-13-2013, 22:26   #31
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liff View Post
Hiroshima and Nagasaki have been continuously inhabited since the bombs were dropped.

Don't panic. There are better things to worry about. Stress over this topic if you want, but imho there are other areas that should occupy your thoughts.

Thanks.
Hiroshima was rebuilt in 5 years.

Surviving the first week after the blast will be the easy part. Its the survivors headed your way that will be the real picnic. Along with finding out if the country is secure from invaders.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 04-13-2013, 23:00   #32
Daltini

I have my camping chair and fire set up at the beach. Allll set...
Daltini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 23:01   #33
Daltini

to watch them fall in the ocean that is
Daltini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 00:44   #34
Tom Kanik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liff View Post

Thanks.

Yes, like the POTUS.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:37   #35
Aceman

The really scary thing about this thread is how sensible it is.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:47   #36
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
The really scary thing about this thread is how sensible it is.
It is a sobering thought, it actually occurring. But we've also had an actual event falling on real humans (H+N) plus scads of tests. There are measurements and metrics, case studies, developed scientific knowledge, and planning and prepping CAN mitigate the disaster.

Imagine, only 2 or three actually go off. Then the fighting stops. They talk to prevent it from continuing.

The borders are secured by the military. Relief efforts begin.

Lets say you're 50 miles from one of the blasts.

Your house survives because of the distance.

Luck continues your way because the winds are going the other, taking the fallout with it.

The power is off, but its the end of winter. Say, March first.

You have a basement for contingencies.

You have a years' supply of food and a clean water source.
BECAUSE YOU PREPPED!

Guess what? You'll be ok. You hunker down to avoid food riots, stay home from work for a few months, keep a sidearm on and take shifts with your wife watching the perimeter.

Now, that's a best case scenario. But it is a possible outcome, and there's a path there.

Anything you do extra helps if its worse…the bomb could be closer, there could be more of them…you might have to default to basement living, relief could take longer, it could be winter….

But you live where you live now knowing what you need under ordinary conditions…think about how you handle that when things are adverse…power, water collection…make a list that's reasonable and start filling it.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:26   #37
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

A wee bit sarcastic.'08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 14:31   #38
Donn57
Just me

Quote:
Originally Posted by G29Reload View Post
Hiroshima was rebuilt in 5 years.
Yeah, but that was back in the 1940s in Japan. That could never happen today in the U.S. We couldn't even replace the WTC buildings in 10 years.
Donn57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 15:15   #39
Haldor
Retired EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
Obviously, a direct hit is a moot point. But after we get outside the serious destruction and vaporization zone, how well geared up (Knowledge, skill, and materials) are you to survive?

Me, not really at all. I've got a lot of other things on my list above that. A lot of my current preps would help me avoid exposure, but I don't pack iodine, lead lined rooms, gieger counters etc...I just feel that a lot of Nuke survival would be about highly specialized gear, lots of training, and in reality I'd have neither and be fooling myself. But I could be wrong.

Just an entertaining consideration, given NK's wackiness. You know what if they had channeled all there efforts into one stealthy bird and it actually caught a good tailwind, and USAF failed to respond due to disbelief it could happen, etc...
Not at all. I am not downwind of a nuc power plant and honestly I seriously doubt if NK is going to waste a nuc on my home town.

If I lived in a major port, then this would be a bigger concern to me. The likeliest scenario in my opinion is that somebody will sneak a nuc into a container vessel. That would permit anybody with even the most rudimentary skill/materials to deliver a working nuc. A harbor blast would pretty much shut down any major metropolitan area too (decontamination would be hugely expensive). That is about the most damaging single attack I think anybody could make on us. Imagine what losing LA or NYC would do to our economy.
Guys! Guys! He's down! Stop kicking him! If he shows up on another thread, Tasers are indicated, but for now, let him slink off into the shadows to lick his wounds and ponder how deeply cool and misunderstood he is!
Hoot nred Mrs. Vr.
Haldor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 18:54   #40
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn57 View Post
Yeah, but that was back in the 1940s in Japan. That could never happen today in the U.S. We couldn't even replace the WTC buildings in 10 years.
Not a fair comparison. Wtc wasnt a residence. And it was politically sensitive both in appearance location and significance. Compound ownership and control issues.