Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:32   #1
gordo993

Are you allowed to CCW while on duty?

In light of yesterday's events in Georgia, I am looking to gather info to present a proposal to my Chief. If you are allowed to CCW, I would be very interested in seeing your SOP/SOGs in reference to this...
Thanks!
gordo993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:12   #2
RyanNREMTP
Inactive/Banned

We're not. That is a company policy. Also one of the hospitals is listed 30.06 and more than a few nursing homes are too. Plus there is no place in our ambulance to secure a weapon.
Old 04-11-2013, 19:15   #3
DGreno
Silver Membership
FF/Paramedic

DADT. Sorry if that doesn't help you but I plan on going home at the end of the shift.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:00   #4
blueiron

Years ago, there was an incident between two Phoenix firefighters at Station 26, I believe. The incident got so heated that one armed himself with a 1911 pistol and the other retaliated by breaking his arm.

No firearms allowed at the stations, on vehicles, and on duty personnel cannot be armed for any reason, other than those who are certified as and performing primary duties as law enforcement officers. This applies to Phoenix and metro municipalities.
blueiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 18:31   #5
fyrediver

Can't even have a firearm in the car in the parking lot.
fyrediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 21:31   #6
jrpro130

Not allowed to at my dept. I do see it one day, we already have swat medics and they are allowed a whole different set of rules...I would love to be ABLE to carry on duty. Concealed is great...no one would be the wiser
Old 04-13-2013, 07:14   #7
4Rules

Employees...shall not wear on their person, not carry aboard any ambulance, any firearms, weapons or explosives.
4Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:12   #8
gordo993

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpro130 View Post
Not allowed to at my dept. I do see it one day, we already have swat medics and they are allowed a whole different set of rules...I would love to be ABLE to carry on duty. Concealed is great...no one would be the wiser
What are the rules for your SWAT medics? Can they carry while on duty, or do their rules pertain to department issued firearms stored while on duty? As a SWAT medic, I wrote the firearms policy, but it only pertains to firearms storage while on duty...
gordo993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:25   #9
jrpro130

Well the short and long of it (because I don't have the policy handy) is that they are allowed on fire and police property with a firearm when going to and from a call out. Also allowed to store gear and issued firearm in vehicle.

We ARE allowed to store a firearm in our vehicle. Our state law supersedes our dept policy. It has already been discussed via union rep and chief of dept.

The issue for us is that our fire station is directly connected to the police station. So we created a new policy.
Old 04-14-2013, 15:20   #10
Tvov

We have a Don't Ask, Don't Tell policy at our Volunteer firehouse. Took me a bit to realize that is what you meant by DADT, DGreno!

Our previous Chief said he didn't want to see firearms at the FD, so that "policy" has just been continued.
Tvov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 17:51   #11
MedicOni

Not allowed at the state level. Plus both companies I work for prohibit it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

NR-P, NM EMT-P, TX, EMT-P, FP-C
MedicOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:37   #12
DoogieHowser
Eh

Used to have a dadt policy till someone screwed it up for the rest of us. Now if your caught you get fired

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 04-15-2013, 11:02   #13
DGreno
Silver Membership
FF/Paramedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvov View Post
Took me a bit to realize that is what you meant by DADT, DGreno!
Sorry.

My boss (fire chief) does not seem to care. Our city policy states that one may carry with permission from their department head. I have never openly tested this policy for the fire department.
Old 04-15-2013, 16:57   #14
cityborncountrylivin

not allowed to have your wallet/drivers license and/or wedding ring in case you have to be deconned. I know old timers would tell stories about guys who packed back in the bad old days saying you never knew who you could run into trying to get the roof. I know guys came in on 9/11 packing. I always had a body armor vest for my driver in my locker when I was a boss.
cityborncountrylivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 16:59   #15
cityborncountrylivin

I know we went for medicals in my army reserve unit once and out of 3 companies in the battalion 64 handguns got vouchered and only 6 guys were cops
cityborncountrylivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 17:42   #16
glowrod
Fightin' Fire

Nope, must remain secured in your personal vehicle. No guns allowed in the house or in any fire apparatus at anytime.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:37   #17
captfire

I"AM on a small rual dept we can carry on a missing person if it takes us back in the woods just about all of us have are ccdw never no what you might come up on in the woods LIKE A METH LAB ..
captfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 00:49   #18
ProbieG
Future Hoser

I have a buddy who is a driver, he also holds his peace officers cert. His captain allows him to carry on duty.
ProbieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 23:48   #19
LocknLoadPA

I'm a 23 year vet of a suburban volunteer fire company. After the Rochester, NY incident I successfully lobbied to change our house rules to allow CCW in the station. There is technically no rule against carrying during a call, but I have several reservations as to why I don't, but would like to as there some strange people that "rubberneck" at emergency incidents.

1. Would there be any danger to myself or others of taking a loaded weapon into a high heat environment?

2. If I left it on the rig how would it be secured? Too many things going on at a working structure fire. If we are not first or second due engine there is a chance that the rig could be left a significant distance from the scene unlocked.

3. If it can't be secured on the rig, what if there are no other members present with CCWs (not all members are licensed)? What if no one else, licensed or not, wants the responsibility for others' weapons?

4. As a driver or ICO I could carry without a problem. But there is always that chance that we need able bodies to go in and a non structurally qualified guy could show up and take over at the pumps for me, or a higher ranking officer could arrive and take over ICO duties. Thereby putting me back in points 1 thru 3.

Last edited by LocknLoadPA; 05-21-2013 at 23:50..
LocknLoadPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:30   #20
Firecop203

I carried both open and concealed for my last 7 years on the job, now retired.

But, I was a Fire Marshal for those 7 years. I also worked as a Police Officer for another city on my days off from the FD. I had the best of both worlds and was also an EMT.

Those were some fun times.
Neither cold, nor darkness will deter good people from hastening to the dreadful place to quench the flame. They do it not for the sake of reward or fame; but they have a reward in themselves, and they love one another.
Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by Firecop203; 05-22-2013 at 06:31..
Firecop203 is offline   Reply With Quote