SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-09-2013, 17:34   #1
Dynamik1

Knife for EMT?

Folks,
I got distracted by something shiny and I still haven't selected a knife for my daughter who aspires to be an EMT. Despite being the Editor of [URL]http://www.edcknifereviews.com[/URL] I just don't know the unique needs of the First Responder community - I typically review folding pocket knives, although, I'm expanding into "survival-type" knives.

So, I'm asking you all, what should I look for in a knife for my daughter? Specific brands you like? Features? Serrated/Plain blade?

Thanks everybody!!

Dynamik1
Editor, [URL="http://www.edcknifereviews.com"]EDC Knife Reviews[/URL]
Dynamik1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 21:32   #2
RyanNREMTP
Inactive/Banned

For the most part any cheap knife will do. Trauma shears will be used for about 99% of any cutting. Knife mainly would be used for defense.

I say cheap because it will get lost, dropped, stolen and what not.

I have been very happy with Kershaw Ken Onion knives myself.

Sent from my Federation issued communicator.
Old 04-11-2013, 22:19   #3
Benton

Benchmade griptilian! Google: Bencmade Knives. Make sure you don't get a knife with a smooth as in slippery handle! I like plain blades myself. I'm no expert, but i know what works. I recommend the griptilian line because of their "Tacky" handle that wont slip in your hand when wet with water,sweat,blood etc. You did say your daughter aspires to be an EMT right?

I would not get her a "cheap" knife as someone else has suggested!
The Gritilians run from $90.00 to $130.00 suggested retail in the Benchmade catalog.
Also, they come in different blade lengths, handle colors, etc.
Good Luck!
If your looking for a great fixed blade sheath knife, then you can't beat an "ESEE"!

Last edited by Benton; 04-11-2013 at 22:23.. Reason: Additional suggestion.
Benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 22:29   #4
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanNREMTP View Post
For the most part any cheap knife will do. Trauma shears will be used for about 99% of any cutting. Knife mainly would be used for defense.

I say cheap because it will get lost, dropped, stolen and what not.

I have been very happy with Kershaw Ken Onion knives myself.

Sent from my Federation issued communicator.
I'm not an EMT, but I'll second the Kershaw knives. You can even buy them at walmart now, and very reasonably priced. My every day knife is one I bought there for $20, and it's held up to everything I've put it through so far. The spring-assisted opening is a nice feature, too.

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:28   #5
emt1231

I carry the Benchmade mini-grip at work. Not going to lie a good leatherman might be more useful, I rarely use my knife at work.
emt1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:52   #6
qas1178

I would recomend a folding knife with a serrated blade, window punch, and most important a blunt tip (because under stress you dont want to accidentally stab the patient during a rescue or while cutting off clothing). I currently carry a Gerber Hinderer. A very versatile rescue knife with all the features already named plus an integrated oxygen bottle opener, and a seatbelt cutter. My favorite of all was the Camillus Rescue Heat but its been discontinued :'(

Feel free to PM me for more advise/info.
qas1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 13:57   #7
bmoore

Here is the deal, she does not need a big giant nerd Ricky Rescue knife. Ive worked for 12 years in a BUSY area as a fireman/paramedic. No EMT needs a knife with a blunt blade. We don't cut peoples clothes off with knives. I have never needed a window punch, ever. Get a Byrd (made by Spyderco) or a Spyderco Tenacious..........or just pick a quality folding knife. Benchmade, Kershaw Leek or Blur, Spyderco. A leatherman wingman is also nice to have for around the station stuff. Don't forget about a good flashlight, you cant run from what you can't see.

Last edited by bmoore; 04-12-2013 at 14:03..
bmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 14:27   #8
4Rules

http://www.benchmade.com/products/pr...rd=rescue+hook
4Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 15:47   #9
qas1178

Well Mr bmoore I work for Memphis Fire and hav been a firefighter paramedic for 10 years bro. I work lots ot trauma calls and have found myself cutting clothes, shoes, rope, seatbelts and anything else cutable in the field. A single reliable tool that performs multiple tasks is invaluable to ffp's that do real work in the field. I can't think of a single incident that I needed a point to stab anything in my line of work. But I have used theblount end as a screw driver, cracked o2 bottles, and cut people free from entanglement. We do real work here bro unlike Mayberry Fire like it sounds like you hang out with your pointy blade.
Old 04-12-2013, 18:25   #10
fyrediver

As a career firefighter my suggestion would be the Gerber Hinderer.

http://www.thefirestore.com/store/pr...FWRyQgodMGoAmg

I've carried a Leek in my duty uniform but I've broken the tip off jimmying a lock. Found I like it better with the square tip. I too haven't found a need for a sharp stabbing point, but it is a nice, small knife that fits comfortably into my pocket.

I carry a Spyderco Rescue knife in my bunker pants as well as a multitool.

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=71

I carry a separate window punch/seat belt cutter the RESQME also attached to my bunker coat and use it pretty regularly. Don't have to find a window punch for an extrication. We've also got them on all of our PFDs.

http://www.chiefsupply.com/4311-Task...FUQ6QgodzVsAtQ

Good luck
fyrediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 18:30   #11
RonS

Old 04-15-2013, 06:41   #12
DoogieHowser
Eh

Crkt m14 ez orange handle knife. Aus8 steel, glass break which we use and a seatbelt cutter for myself that doesn't require you to fold out the blade

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 04-15-2013, 10:40   #13
bmoore

Quote:
Originally Posted by qas1178 View Post
Well Mr bmoore I work for Memphis Fire and hav been a firefighter paramedic for 10 years bro. I work lots ot trauma calls and have found myself cutting clothes, shoes, rope, seatbelts and anything else cutable in the field. A single reliable tool that performs multiple tasks is invaluable to ffp's that do real work in the field. I can't think of a single incident that I needed a point to stab anything in my line of work. But I have used theblount end as a screw driver, cracked o2 bottles, and cut people free from entanglement. We do real work here bro unlike Mayberry Fire like it sounds like you hang out with your pointy blade.
First time I have heard Southern CA called Mayberry. A "pointy" knife in the district I work in is some sort of protection. All the things you mentioned you cut can get cut with trauma shears. I am not banging on you, some people like Ricky rescue nerd ball gadgets dangling from every pocket.........especially back in Hillbillyville. We have had FD paramedics since 1975, we managed to get by without blunt tip knives. In fact if you do a little research you will find that us out here in Mayberry put FD EMS on the map with the paramedic program. Every heard of a show called EMERGENCY! ?

Last edited by bmoore; 04-15-2013 at 10:56..
Old 04-15-2013, 11:03   #14
itstime

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrediver View Post
As a career firefighter my suggestion would be the Gerber Hinderer.

http://www.thefirestore.com/store/pr...FWRyQgodMGoAmg

I've carried a Leek in my duty uniform but I've broken the tip off jimmying a lock. Found I like it better with the square tip. I too haven't found a need for a sharp stabbing point, but it is a nice, small knife that fits comfortably into my pocket.

I carry a Spyderco Rescue knife in my bunker pants as well as a multitool.

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=71

I carry a separate window punch/seat belt cutter the RESQME also attached to my bunker coat and use it pretty regularly. Don't have to find a window punch for an extrication. We've also got them on all of our PFDs.

http://www.chiefsupply.com/4311-Task...FUQ6QgodzVsAtQ

Good luck
Well crap I was going to say EXACTLY what is above here.

This is good advice.

I'm seeing people recommending some knives that well may do more harm than good.

This post is my way to go exactly.
itstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:26   #15
bmoore

I'm a little worried at what the standard of training is out there. Knives are NOT for cutting around patients, maybe a last ditch tool but it is NOT the correct tool. Trauma shears are so cheap they should be all over apparatus, gear bags and personnel. "hey Jim this guy is acute status toss me the shears". Snip Snip.....done. Maybe people are watching too much TV.

Last edited by bmoore; 04-15-2013 at 11:38..
Old 04-16-2013, 01:09   #16
qas1178

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoore View Post
First time I have heard Southern CA called Mayberry. A "pointy" knife in the district I work in is some sort of protection. All the things you mentioned you cut can get cut with trauma shears. I am not banging on you, some people like Ricky rescue nerd ball gadgets dangling from every pocket.........especially back in Hillbillyville. We have had FD paramedics since 1975, we managed to get by without blunt tip knives. In fact if you do a little research you will find that us out here in Mayberry put FD EMS on the map with the paramedic program. Every heard of a show called EMERGENCY! ?
Figures....Southern Cal..... If you or any of the other Spice Boys want to see what real firefighting and paramedicing come down to Memphis, look me up and you will see how its done in the real world. Seems like all your knowledge about fire and ems comes from the show Emergency.

Besides... my pocket knife is more quickly available to me than fumbling through a bag in a high stress situation. I dont keep trauma shears on my person at all times like i do my knife. Maybe you do Gadget Spice. You really need to do more research on your equipment selection because the knives you suggest are not intended for our line of work and can do lots more harm than good.

P.S. You should also change your name to Golden Boy. Its draumatic like your favorite TV shows you learn everything you know. No...Gadget Spice is better.

Last edited by qas1178; 04-16-2013 at 01:12.. Reason: bmoore should change his screen name to Gadget Spice
Old 04-16-2013, 05:15   #17
RyanNREMTP
Inactive/Banned

Guys, this thread was made to ask about what knife would be good for someone new to EMS. Not to bash another system in another state.
Old 04-16-2013, 19:09   #18
r3dot

I agree with a few of these guys. Any relatively cheap knife that fits her hand would be best. Most of us never use our knife. Mine is there for if I ever find myself without a cutting tool and do not have the time to retrieve one. Or for a cricothyrotomy.
r3dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 14:39   #19
seagravedriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanNREMTP View Post
Guys, this thread was made to ask about what knife would be good for someone new to EMS. Not to bash another system in another state.
Good night guys, help a brother out, this is not high school!

I use knives that clip into pockets. I have had Spydercos, Benchmade, CRKT. All good, and I have them all still. The oldest is 20 years. While knives are not the first choice for many things, not having one is a detrament. I would rather spend a few more bucks on a Spyderco or better than something made overseas of lesser quality.
seagravedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:51   #20
DCLXVI

I carry an Emerson SARK and a leatherman tool. Great combo that has worked for me for years. I do keep a retractable lanyard on the knife though.
DCLXVI is offline   Reply With Quote