Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-07-2013, 16:00   #1
chpullen

Remington Model 11 Refurbishing

I've got a 1920 Remington Model 11 with a 20" barrel that I love. I want to refurbish it and make it into a HD shotgun. I understand it has no real collector's value, so modifying it doesn't seem a problem. Here's what I'm thinking. Please share your thoughts and suggestions. Thanks:

1. Magazine extension- It has a 4 round magazine and I'd like to add an extension that adds two. Any suggestions? I'd really like a mag. ext. that drops right on, but I don't think they exist. Hope I'm wrong.

2. Recoil/Friction Ring Replacements Source-I need to replace at least the brass recoil/friction ring. Might as well replace both it and the steel ring. Any suggestions for a parts source?

3. Refinish Receiver-All bluing is gone fron the receiver and it ain't pretty. I'd like a durable, easy to apply finish that mimiics dark bluing pretty well because the barrel finish still looks okay. Any suggestions?

4. Gunsmith-This gun runs okay, but it is pushing 100 years old. Anyone know of a gunsmith that is familiar with these nice old guns that could give it a thorough once-over and fix problems if any are found?

Thanks for any thoughts. Plus, I'd like to hear anything about these guns you might like to share. Thanks.
chpullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 18:26   #2
Bullman
Ahhhhhhh, Bach

Okay, I am in the same boat as you, I have had a Remington model 11 project working for quite a while now.

1. I don't know of anyone that makes a ready to go extension for the model 11. I am told that an 870 extension will thread on, but the length is the issue here. It has to go on far enough to get everything tightened up the way it should be. I found a source that can set you up with an extension like this, http://fortmoe.com/ , He machines out a wilson combat two shot extension to work for your gun. It will be expensive, but it will work like it is supposed to.

2. Friction ring. if you can't find one for a Model 11, fear not because the Browning A5 friction piece and friction spring are the same so just make sure you get the gauge right. Brownells, Midway, Numrich should all have it.

3 refinishing. Just be aware there is a micarta buffer in the Model 11 at the back of the receiver that the Browning and Savage guns do not have. If you have the gun hot blued and this buffer is not replaced, you could have slam fire issues possibly. I got this information off the AGI armorers video I got to try and learn a little bit more about them. Again, the fort moe guy seems to know his way around these guns, which when you get to number 4 will be an answer. There is also a place in Missouri I think that works on Auto 5s that should be able to take care of all your model 11 worries. I found a local gunsmith that was into the AGI videos that was able to get mine running again, it had some feeding issues and wouldn't work and he got it running again so he will be getting more of my business.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

How DUI enforcement should really work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Bullman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 18:45   #3
Bullman
Ahhhhhhh, Bach

That gunsmith outfit in Missouri is Mid West Gunworks http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/...-5-gunsmithing

I would contact them and see if they will work on Model 11s, I don't know why they wouldn't, they are pretty close to the same gun.

Old 04-11-2013, 19:16   #4
meangreenlx50

I built my Savage 720 myself and bought a new mag tube and had it welded up and rethreaded. They fire very fast and mine has held up well.

Douglas Adams, "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"
meangreenlx50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 19:52   #5
Bullman
Ahhhhhhh, Bach

On mine, I bought a synthetic stock for an A5 from Bell and Carlsons, and then engineered it a bit to fit on my 11. I recently got a barrel off Ebay so I wouldn't have to cut my original 30 incher down. Next stop is the mag extension.

Tactical Shotguns

I have it now to where I can switch it back to the wood, and the 30 inch full choke bird gun configuration.

Last edited by Bullman; 04-12-2013 at 13:41..
Old 04-12-2013, 23:50   #6
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

You're unlikely to find a mag extension, but parkerized or ion bonded with a synthetic stock it'd make a nice piece. I knew a guy who had an Auto-5 that cracked a stock, he used the synthetic replacement and a second (short) barrel and set it up as a cabin bear gun for his wife when he fished in Alaska.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:34   #7
chpullen

Good info. Thanks. I have read that an 870 extension will work if you add a 1/4 inch or so spacer. I'm going to give that a try.
chpullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:48   #8
railfancwb

FWIW, Remington made A-5 Brownings for them during WWII...

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire