GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 14:31   #26
paynter2
It ain't over
 
paynter2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: upper mid-west
Posts: 8,695


Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCave View Post
and at this point, most of the that generation has absolutely no problem with that.

Doesn't matter than they voted in and stood by while the politicians stole their money. Just that they paid it, and they don't care where the has to come from, their grandchildren and great grandchildren can pay it, so long as they get their welfare.

It's armed robbery plain and simple.
I understand your frustration... But I'm, right now, watching the FED 'borrow' into existence $1 trillion per year. They will demand interest on that money and the next generation(s) will be responsible for that debt.

I vote conservative, for the most part (GW was not a conservative). I write to my Congressional representatives, I try to talk sense to Dims. It doesn't seem to be working - the FED is still printing.

So, what are you doing to protect the next generation? What are you doing right now that the older generation failed to do 30 years ago?

I'm going to edit this post to say... CaptCave: I don't mean 'you' specifically. I didn't mean to single you out. I mean 'you' who think the current generation of SS recipients should have done something to ensure the system was/is viable.
__________________
"Power always has to be kept in check; power exercised in secret, especially under the cloak of national security, is doubly dangerous." ...William Proxmire, US senator, reformer (1915-2005)

Last edited by paynter2; 04-07-2013 at 14:40..
paynter2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 14:35   #27
ChuteTheMall
What Difference
 
ChuteTheMall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Sinkholeville
Posts: 57,317


If someone steals from me, I demand restitution.

I shed no tears for the younger (under 30) voters who overwhelmingly (66%) elected Obama.
ChuteTheMall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 14:37   #28
Cali-Glock
Mountain Man
 
Cali-Glock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: California Sierra Mnts
Posts: 11,765
Of course it is not viable.
__________________
1 Corinthians 2:2
I may be from Cali, but I ain't no yankee!

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Mal Reynolds
Cali-Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 14:47   #29
Wyoming
Senior Member
 
Wyoming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Southwest Wyoming
Posts: 1,846
Send a message via Yahoo to Wyoming
Remember when Gov. Richard called SS a ponzi scheme and the press went berserk?

Well I think it does qualify as a ponzi scheme.




From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A Ponzi scheme is a fraudulent investment operation that pays returns to its investors from their own money or the money paid by subsequent investors, rather than from profit earned by the individual or organization running the operation. The Ponzi scheme usually entices new investors by offering higher returns than other investments, in the form of short-term returns that are either abnormally high or unusually consistent. Perpetuation of the high returns requires an ever-increasing flow of money from new investors to keep the scheme going.[1]

The scheme is named after Charles Ponzi,[2] who became notorious for using the technique in 1920.[3] Ponzi did not invent the scheme (for example, Charles Dickens' 1844 novel Martin Chuzzlewit and 1857 novel Little Dorrit each described such a scheme),[4] but his operation took in so much money that it was the first to become known throughout the United States. Ponzi's original scheme was based on the arbitrage of international reply coupons for postage stamps; however, he soon diverted investors' money to make payments to earlier investors and himself.
__________________
Wyoming
Wyoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 16:19   #30
JohnBT
NRA Patron
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 6,255
"If you're for stealing from me to fund your stuff because that's what your generation voted for"

We're lucky in this country if the voter turnout reaches 50%. But surely you knew that. Oh wait, you think only the Baby Boomers got to vote back then? That must be it.
JohnBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 16:27   #31
m51
Senior Member
 
m51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmk View Post
Even if it has to be taken from someone else by threat of force?
Yup, exactly, its the law. Build a bridge and get over it.
__________________
Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men.
m51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 16:29   #32
ChuteTheMall
What Difference
 
ChuteTheMall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Sinkholeville
Posts: 57,317


Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBT View Post
"If you're for stealing from me to fund your stuff because that's what your generation voted for"

We're lucky in this country if the voter turnout reaches 50%. But surely you knew that. Oh wait, you think only the Baby Boomers got to vote back then? That must be it.
I don't know any Boomers who voted for FDR, and I know many who haven't voted for any Demonrats since the Watergate era, if ever.

There are a handful of third party nutcases, but I don't count them among actual voters.

________________
Posted from the Obamaphone of some junkie drawing SSDI but who never paid into it.
ChuteTheMall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 16:32   #33
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist
 
certifiedfunds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 39,675


Quote:
Originally Posted by m51 View Post
Yup, exactly, its the law. Build a bridge and get over it.
Ahh, thieves with a ballot in their hand


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 16:34   #34
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist
 
certifiedfunds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 39,675


Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
If someone steals from me, I demand restitution.

.
Me too. So when will the old geezers on the socialist security and Medicare teats start paying me back?


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 16:37   #35
m51
Senior Member
 
m51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
Ahh, thieves with a ballot in their hand


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Yup first of the month, every month. That is my federal pension, but in about 5 months I will be getting my SS monthly benefit too. Life is good CF, thanks for your monthly contribution. I use it wisely. most of the time.
__________________
Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men.
m51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 16:37   #36
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist
 
certifiedfunds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 39,675


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis in MA View Post
Solution: Kill all the Baby Boomers. It's their fault anyhow. (Paid too little in, will get too much out.)

Expect reductions in the COLA and cut in bene's for people with AGIs higher than X.

They can make it survive, but people won't like it.
Hopefully Medicare cuts will render them doctor-less and nature will handle things.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 16:38   #37
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist
 
certifiedfunds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 39,675


Quote:
Originally Posted by m51 View Post
Yup first of the month, every month. That is my federal pension, but in about 5 months I will be getting my SS monthly benefit too. Life is good CF, thanks for your monthly contribution. I use it wisely. most of the time.
You'll want to rub a little balm on those teats so they don't get raw


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 16:38   #38
m51
Senior Member
 
m51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
Me too. So when will the old geezers on the socialist security and Medicare teats start paying me back?


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
We won't, when you are still crying about these wonderful programs we will probably be taking the dirt nap. Get over it and just pay up.
__________________
Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men.
m51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 16:39   #39
m51
Senior Member
 
m51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
You'll want to rub a little balm on those teats so they don't get raw


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
None needed, too busy spending money here, get over it.
__________________
Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men.
m51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 16:44   #40
NAS T MAG
Senior Member
 
NAS T MAG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Northern Ohio
Posts: 1,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
Hopefully Medicare cuts will render them doctor-less and nature will handle things.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
"Boom"
NAS T MAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 16:44   #41
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist
 
certifiedfunds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 39,675


Quote:
Originally Posted by m51 View Post
We won't, when you are still crying about these wonderful programs we will probably be taking the dirt nap. Get over it and just pay up.
Well, at least there's an upside to it


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 16:55   #42
m51
Senior Member
 
m51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
Well, at least there's an upside to it


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Would love to get in one of your "till the end of eternity" arguments CF, but need to go eat a fillet, thanks again for your contributions.
__________________
Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men.
m51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 16:59   #43
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist
 
certifiedfunds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 39,675


Quote:
Originally Posted by m51 View Post
Would love to get in one of your "till the end of eternity" arguments CF, but need to go eat a fillet, thanks again for your contributions.
Ah the arrogance of the dependent class.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Last edited by certifiedfunds; 04-07-2013 at 16:59..
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 17:05   #44
NAS T MAG
Senior Member
 
NAS T MAG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Northern Ohio
Posts: 1,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
Ah the arrogance of the dependent class.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
"Boom" "Boom"
NAS T MAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 17:06   #45
m51
Senior Member
 
m51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
Ah the arrogance of the dependent class.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Good old last word CF, you never fail.
You really need a life.
__________________
Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men.

Last edited by m51; 04-07-2013 at 17:06..
m51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 17:10   #46
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist
 
certifiedfunds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 39,675


Quote:
Originally Posted by m51 View Post
Good old last word CF, you never fail.
You really need a life.
Actually I have one. Unlike yours, mine is self-supported.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Last edited by certifiedfunds; 04-07-2013 at 17:10..
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 17:14   #47
F350
Senior Member
 
F350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Colorado Western Slope
Posts: 1,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyoming View Post
Remember when Gov. Richard called SS a ponzi scheme and the press went berserk?

Well I think it does qualify as a ponzi scheme.




From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A Ponzi scheme is a fraudulent investment operation that pays returns to its investors from their own money or the money paid by subsequent investors, rather than from profit earned by the individual or organization running the operation. The Ponzi scheme usually entices new investors by offering higher returns than other investments, in the form of short-term returns that are either abnormally high or unusually consistent. Perpetuation of the high returns requires an ever-increasing flow of money from new investors to keep the scheme going.[1]

The scheme is named after Charles Ponzi,[2] who became notorious for using the technique in 1920.[3] Ponzi did not invent the scheme (for example, Charles Dickens' 1844 novel Martin Chuzzlewit and 1857 novel Little Dorrit each described such a scheme),[4] but his operation took in so much money that it was the first to become known throughout the United States. Ponzi's original scheme was based on the arbitrage of international reply coupons for postage stamps; however, he soon diverted investors' money to make payments to earlier investors and himself.
EXACTLY!!!!!!Now take a look at this US Population Pyramid through time. 1950 was a sustainable population distribution. Aso remember when SS was established the retirement age was set at 65 because not may people lived that long and SS was dependent on people dying before reaching retirement and there were nearly 10 people working for everyone retired, and they didn't last too long after retirement. Today it is roughly 3 working for everyone retired and they are living WELL past retirement. Not too far down the road it will be almost a 1:1 ratio, look at 2050.

http://www.nationmaster.com/country/us/Age_distribution

Now ask yourself; is it sustainable??

Last edited by F350; 04-07-2013 at 17:15..
F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 17:24   #48
Flying-Dutchman
Senior Member
 
Flying-Dutchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,074
Viable? It’s bankrupt.

Last edited by Flying-Dutchman; 04-10-2013 at 06:45..
Flying-Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 17:33   #49
Jonesee
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank4570 View Post
so the money was pillaged.it was invested in Treasury bills, that are now not worth as much.and the system has been in the red for two years.
is that it in a nutshell?

What?
You need to do a little more research
Jonesee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 17:36   #50
silentpoet
Senior Member
 
silentpoet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: This Old Caddy
Posts: 15,767
Much like a neutered dog I don't expect to get it.
silentpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 16:55.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,405
444 Members
961 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42