Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:15   #41
USMCgs3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylet View Post
Called Remington!
It is a 2001 Remington 700 Police.
No doubt about it.
I was surprised. I was almost convinced it was a 700VS.
Damn was that hard or what?

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
USMCgs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:15   #42
matt_lowry123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batesmotel View Post
Was it re-stocked? That is the only one I have seen with that stock.
Yeah I thought they all came with H-S precision stocks.
matt_lowry123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 17:07   #43
kylet

it looks like an HS precision stock...

i dont really know. How would i be able to tell ?
kylet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 17:52   #44
matt_lowry123

Maybe it is an HS stock. I've only seen all black come on them. Here's mine. I called and it was made November 2004. Maybe they built them different in 2001

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Last edited by matt_lowry123; 06-10-2013 at 22:27..
Old 04-16-2013, 20:01   #45
Travclem
Lifetime Membership
Badass Member

The Remington varmint guns come in HS stocks(usually webbed) too. The 700P has twin lugs and black only.

Last edited by Travclem; 04-16-2013 at 20:01..
Travclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 20:07   #46
matt_lowry123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travclem View Post
The Remington varmint guns come in HS stocks(usually webbed) too. The 700P has twin lugs and black only.
I'd say that's your answer.
Old 04-16-2013, 20:18   #47
Wyoming

Send a message via Yahoo to Wyoming
OK guys. It is a factory stock rifle that Remington sold around 10 years ago. I have one that looks just like the OP's but mine is in 223 Remington and it is Left Hand version.

My receiver says "Remington model 700 LH". Forget the "LH" because mine is left hand and you have the same markings as pictured.

I bought mine new from local Garth Brothers. They have since changed their name to Academy Sports. Both were and are a small sporting goods store chain.

I can't find my receipt but as best as I can remember it was about ten years ago.

It is a varmint rifle and not a special police sniper rifle. At the time I could have pick a 22-250 or 223. I went with 223.

A few year latter at another LGS I found a used left hand Remington 700 in 308. This one has fluted barrel a desert tan stock with palm swell. Both have 26 inch barrels.

Who ever set up that scope did not know what they were doing. Besides the wrong bolts it is way to high off the receiver.

I have some really big ass optics on both rifles and never are or need to be that high up. On the 223 it is a Burris 8-32 Signature and on the 308 it is a Burris XTR-624 in Burris XTR 30mm rings.

For the original intent of post it is nothing more that a heavy barrel varmint rifle in 308 and should be priced as such. Deduct for rings that will need to be replaced with correct size.

FWIW, when I see a gun that has stupid on it I really check to see that no other stupid was done such as bad trigger job. Mounting a scope is easy Gun 101 so if one can't do it or know the difference then did they properly maintain "lock stock and barrel"?
Old 04-16-2013, 20:21   #48
Travclem
Lifetime Membership
Badass Member

The OP called Remington and they told him it left the factory as a 700 Police. It has since had an HS varmint stock put on it (the same one that is on your factory Remington varmint gun).
Old 04-16-2013, 21:00   #49
Wyoming

Quote:
The OP called Remington and they told him it left the factory as a 700 Police. It has since had an HS varmint stock put on it (the same one that is on your factory Remington varmint gun).
Why would some one go through the trouble and expense to change out a police stock for a varmint stock?

Now if I was looking to buy a gun and it came up with that story I would walk away.
Old 04-16-2013, 21:05   #50
Travclem
Lifetime Membership
Badass Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyoming View Post
Why would some one go through the trouble and expense to change out a police stock for a varmint stock?

Now if I was looking to buy a gun and it came up with that story I would walk away.
Maybe the original broke, or they liked the color of the varmint better. I agree with you though, its a little sketchy.
Old 04-16-2013, 21:10   #51
matt_lowry123

Quote:
OK guys. It is a factory stock rifle that Remington sold around 10 years ago. I have one that looks just like the OP's but mine is in 223 Remington and it is Left Hand version.

My receiver says "Remington model 700 LH". Forget the "LH" because mine is left hand and you have the same markings as pictured.

I bought mine new from local Garth Brothers. They have since changed their name to Academy Sports. Both were and are a small sporting goods store chain.

I can't find my receipt but as best as I can remember it was about ten years ago.

It is a varmint rifle and not a special police sniper rifle. At the time I could have pick a 22-250 or 223. I went with 223.

A few year latter at another LGS I found a used left hand Remington 700 in 308. This one has fluted barrel a desert tan stock with palm swell. Both have 26 inch barrels.

Who ever set up that scope did not know what they were doing. Besides the wrong bolts it is way to high off the receiver.

I have some really big ass optics on both rifles and never are or need to be that high up. On the 223 it is a Burris 8-32 Signature and on the 308 it is a Burris XTR-624 in Burris XTR 30mm rings.

For the original intent of post it is nothing more that a heavy barrel varmint rifle in 308 and should be priced as such. Deduct for rings that will need to be replaced with correct size.

FWIW, when I see a gun that has stupid on it I really check to see that no other stupid was done such as bad trigger job. Mounting a scope is easy Gun 101 so if one can't do it or know the difference then did they properly maintain "lock stock and barrel"?
maybe the first guy had a huge chin and need rings that tall
Old 04-16-2013, 21:14   #52
Wyoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_lowry123 View Post
maybe the first guy had a huge chin and need rings that tall
You noticed that too!

It is the only rifle I seen where you need sand bags under AND on top.
Old 04-16-2013, 21:37   #53
matt_lowry123

Quote:
You noticed that too!

It is the only rifle I seen where you need sand bags under AND on top.

I said somewhere on the first page I'd trash those things. Those look like a solid 2". Tallest rings I've ever seen on a bolt action. I wouldn't even want to take that thing out.
Old 04-16-2013, 21:53   #54
matt_lowry123

OP what's the specs of your scope? I have a set of leupold rings and mount I'll give you. They're for a 1" scope. I don't know where I came across them, but even the base will fit and you'd have to get new rings. You have to ditch those monsters.

I might even have some 34mm rings somewhere. I'm not going to go digging tonight though.

I think I was going to buy a ziess scope years ago and it had a 1" tube. I can't remember? These are cheap, but it'll get you by till you can upgrade

Rings
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/633..._vc=OBv1435060

Base
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/227...gton-700-matte

I just fixed the correct ring size. It might not fit your scope and you might be able to trade them in at your local gun shop for something that fits.

Last edited by matt_lowry123; 04-16-2013 at 22:11.. Reason: Added rings, base
Old 04-16-2013, 22:06   #55
method

Quote:
Agreed. I have had several 700s for a lot of years and never had any issue. I think the NBC thing was pretty much proved a scam.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
The guy that designed the 700 freely admitted it had a design flaw, over 60 years ago.
method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:01   #56
kylet

If anyone mentions the rings again I'm going to go crazy!

I get it about the rings. Not a big deal. I mentioned that was being taken care of, and isn't a concern.

The struggle is the model. Remington said that in 2001 the 700P came with the webbed stock. That's what is interesting. This IS the factory stock.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:03   #57
kylet

Quote:

It is not a varmint rifle. It is a 700 Police. Remington knows best. I just don't know why they did this stock design here...kindastrange
Old 04-17-2013, 08:07   #58
Wyoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylet View Post
It is not a varmint rifle. It is a 700 Police. Remington knows best. I just don't know why they did this stock design here...kindastrange
Fine. It is worth what ever you are willing to pay for it with your money.

Enjoy.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:51   #59
kylet

No worries. I just am glad I figured out what it was.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:53   #60
matt_lowry123

Glad you figured it out