Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-04-2013, 14:09   #1
vtducrider

Walther PPQ M2

I checked out the new M2 today at the LGS ($589).... I thought the trigger was quite improved compared to the original, which was already excellent. They change the mag release to the more conventional "button" style, although I prefer the paddle release. Those were the main differences I noticed. Thinking about going back there to do side by side comparison. Might just pick it up...

Since Walther discontinued the "gen-1" in the U.S. only after 2 years of production they could become more collectible here. Some dude is selling one for over $1K on GB. Yikes.
vtducrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 14:23   #2
joatmo
Under treatment

Very, very nice pistol. I had one and stupidly sold it. The trigger is excellent. There's alot of people trying to get these so if you have a chance, i'd go for it.

I can't remember what it is i'm supposed to forget.
joatmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 14:38   #3
itstime

The gen 1 is discontinued????? Yikes.

I'm a lefty and prefer it.
itstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 15:41   #4
crazymoose
Nonentity

Magazine commonality is a pretty big selling point for guns like the Glock. Walther will put off quite a few customers who bought extra mags for the PPQ that will be useless for the M2.

Doubt is an unpleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. Voltaire
crazymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 16:44   #5
raven11

not a bad price I remember paying $700 when the Walther P99 first came out
Old 04-04-2013, 16:50   #6
Larry V

Send a message via Yahoo to Larry V
I have the original PPQ in 40 and the M2 in 9mm. All I can is they are amazing when it comes to the trigger and accuracy. My glocks see a lot more safetime now. If there mags were cheaper they would really give Glock something to worry about.
Larry V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 17:00   #7
ditto1958

I lusted after the PPQ after watching Hickok45 shooting it on YouTube. He really loved the trigger. I was pleased to see the M2 announced, and was excited to see them turning up at stores here.

When I finally got the chance to hold one, though, I didn't really like it. Yes, the trigger is really nice. Aside from that, though, it just doesn't feel very substantial. It didn't feel solid to me like a Glock does. For a gun from Germany, it doesn't feel very Germany.

I'd take one if ya gave me one, but it's not up there on my list of must buys.

Last edited by ditto1958; 04-04-2013 at 17:54..
ditto1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 19:34   #8
TexasPOff
"Dump The Hump"

I picked up an M2 version a few weeks ago and have been running it through its paces. So far I am very impressed with it. It has digested everything I put through it and is laser accurate.

Only two complaints I have is the lack of night sight choices, and magazine availability. Both of which I am sure will improve. I have been a glock fan for a long time, carrying one on duty for 16 some odd years. I have owned and played with just about every other polymer framed pistol out there. IMO the PPQ in either the classic, (paddle release), or M2 configuration is an outstanding weapon, and can easily compete with Glock, for reliability, durability and exceed it in accuracy. Note: the PPQ is not a totally new design, it has been around as the P99Q in Europe for quite a few years.

Walther are sure taking a few pages out of Glocks original handbook.

The PPQ is shows up over here, some like it, some don't. Then they build a distribution center here to help with demand. Now all they need to do is go after a few LE contracts and who knows what will happen.

I will always have love for my Glocks, but the PPQ has impressed me enough that my duty holster for it arrives tomorrow.

TXPO
Certainly, Certifiable

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
"DUMP THE HUMP"

Last edited by TexasPOff; 04-04-2013 at 19:47..
TexasPOff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:06   #9
CV67Chris

I have 2 Q's, a Classic and a M2. I love them both and will probably get a 5" when I come across one. To me, the size is perfect: Big enough to be a full duty pistol, and small enough to conceal. The G19 sets the bar for this size pistol and the PPQ is roughly the same size. Unless S&W comes out with a 15 round M&P of this size, I will probably be carrying these for a very long time.
CV67Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:31   #10
xRUSTYx
9mm Fanboy

I had 2 Q's at one point. A classic PPQ9 and a classic PPQ First edition. Sold both ... I absolutely loved them, just a bit large for me. If they come out with a Q compact/subcompact, I would be all over them again
xRUSTYx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:30   #11
joatmo
Under treatment

This is my dilemma right now. I had a PPQ but I have recently acquired a PPS and a P99. I'm actually better with these 2 Walthers than I am with the Glocks, so much so that I may be selling my 30S and 27.

I can't remember what it is i'm supposed to forget.
joatmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:22   #12
Gary1911A1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPOff View Post
I picked up an M2 version a few weeks ago and have been running it through its paces. So far I am very impressed with it. It has digested everything I put through it and is laser accurate.

Only two complaints I have is the lack of night sight choices, and magazine availability. Both of which I am sure will improve. I have been a glock fan for a long time, carrying one on duty for 16 some odd years. I have owned and played with just about every other polymer framed pistol out there. IMO the PPQ in either the classic, (paddle release), or M2 configuration is an outstanding weapon, and can easily compete with Glock, for reliability, durability and exceed it in accuracy. Note: the PPQ is not a totally new design, it has been around as the P99Q in Europe for quite a few years.

Walther are sure taking a few pages out of Glocks original handbook.

The PPQ is shows up over here, some like it, some don't. Then they build a distribution center here to help with demand. Now all they need to do is go after a few LE contracts and who knows what will happen.

I will always have love for my Glocks, but the PPQ has impressed me enough that my duty holster for it arrives tomorrow.

TXPO
I agree with you on the PPQ. Best polymer striker fired trigger I have ever shot. I think Walther is going after the LE Market with their new PPX which has a DA only type trigger lawyers like.
Gary1911A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 19:58   #13
unsigned

I have the original PPQ in .40. I do like it, but have had some issues, on feed, the rim has a tendency to bind on the extractor. Not real excited about the M2...
Old 04-05-2013, 21:16   #14
TexasPOff
"Dump The Hump"

Duty holster showed up today. As I suspected there are a couple of places near the trigger guard that I will need to massage just a tad to get the fit I am looking for. Spoke with Safariland at length about this and they are working out the fitment for the new M2's. Other than that, fits like a glove. Will have the other range officer do the qualification for me and it will begin it's rotation into my duty weapons.

General Firearms Forum
General Firearms Forum

TXPO
Certainly, Certifiable

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
"DUMP THE HUMP"

Last edited by TexasPOff; 04-05-2013 at 21:20..
Old 04-06-2013, 10:02   #15
Rooster Rugburn
Got Pignose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by itstime View Post
The gen 1 is discontinued????? Yikes.

I'm a lefty and prefer it.
It's not discontinued, but Walther considered not selling it in the US. Walther always makes the absolute worst decisions regarding the US consumer market.

There is an employee of Walther America from Ft Smith who posts at Walther Forums. He indicated that Walther has heard our concerns, and is considering importing the original for the more advanced shooters in the US. I think the issue is still up for consideration. But again, you can count on Walther to make the absolute WORST decision regarding the US consumer market. They have a bad habit of doing just that.

I hope Walther will learn that not all US shooters are amateurs, and there are enough advanced shooters to keep the original model moving, and options are always a good thing.

If they don't. I'll just keep my original and stick with the P-99 for future purchases.

I'm not the kind of poster who goes 20 pages trying to prove a point. I'll make my point with 1 or 2 replies and be done. I don't need your approval.

Last edited by Rooster Rugburn; 04-06-2013 at 10:03..
Rooster Rugburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:53   #16
Tiro Fijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn View Post
...Walther always makes the absolute worst decisions regarding the US consumer market...

But again, you can count on Walther to make the absolute WORST decision regarding the US consumer market. They have a bad habit of doing just that...

Examples?
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:54   #17
crazymoose
Nonentity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn View Post
It's not discontinued, but Walther considered not selling it in the US. Walther always makes the absolute worst decisions regarding the US consumer market.

There is an employee of Walther America from Ft Smith who posts at Walther Forums. He indicated that Walther has heard our concerns, and is considering importing the original for the more advanced shooters in the US. I think the issue is still up for consideration. But again, you can count on Walther to make the absolute WORST decision regarding the US consumer market. They have a bad habit of doing just that.

I hope Walther will learn that not all US shooters are amateurs, and there are enough advanced shooters to keep the original model moving, and options are always a good thing.

If they don't. I'll just keep my original and stick with the P-99 for future purchases.
It's true. Only Walther's marketing department could take a product with HK-quality engineering, a 1911-quality trigger, and a Glock-level price point, and make it at best a mediocre commercial success.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:56   #18
crazymoose
Nonentity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
Examples?
Walther's P99/PPQ sales figures suck in this country. They're unknown or considered "exotic" by many American shooters, and they essentially have zero traction in the LE world. They're great guns at very fair prices, yet products like the XDM and M&P move exponentially more units.

Last edited by crazymoose; 04-06-2013 at 10:57..
Old 04-06-2013, 11:25   #19
TexasPOff
"Dump The Hump"

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymoose View Post
Walther's P99/PPQ sales figures suck in this country. They're unknown or considered "exotic" by many American shooters, and they essentially have zero traction in the LE world. They're great guns at very fair prices, yet products like the XDM and M&P move exponentially more units.
I agree completely. If Walther wants to remain where they are in the US market, the so be it. It is a shame if they don't take advantage of the opportunity they have right now with the PPQ. Agressive marketing towards civillian, competition shooters, and law enforcement would do wonders for them. Strike while the irons hot.

While I prefer the newer M2 mag release, I could go with either version. I do think the M2 version has a better shot in the LE marketplace than the Classic version. The only complaint I ever heard about the PPQ when it was brought up in my circles was the euro style mag release.

I am a lemonade out of lemons kinda guy and I'm giving Walther credit for at least listening to what some customers said about the PPQ and changing it. More that can be said for most manufactures.

IMO Walther's best course of action would be to sell the M2 version primarily here in the US, and allow the special order of the Classic without a premium.

I have looked at both the Classic and M2 magazines, the reason they aren't compatible is the classics magazine cut would hang on the M2 release upon insertion, and wouldn't be fully seated. The current magazine incompatibility issue is the bad marketing decision in my book. With common magazines at least you would have harmony between the classic versions, P99 series and the M2. The other side to this is they at least have two solid magazine release designs and it wasn't possible to have both designs and a common magazine.

TXPO
Certainly, Certifiable

"DUMP THE HUMP"

Last edited by TexasPOff; 04-06-2013 at 11:44..
Old 04-06-2013, 13:25   #20
vtducrider

I will probably pick up the M2... Went back to the shop yesterday afternoon, and today at around lunch hour. Struck out both times. Not sure why they closed shop during normal business hours. Will have to try next week.
vtducrider is offline   Reply With Quote