Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:16   #1
Jaykwish

Advice on duty weapon for LE girlfriend with small hands

So my girlfriend is a police officer and currently carries a kimber 1911 as her duty weapon. She has small hands and due to this chose the 1911 because of the thinner profile grip. She wants a higher cap handgun preferably a glock and we have been looking for one that will fit her and hold up to the conditions she works in. She has came down to the g30 or the g20sf and can't decide. I know everyone is going to say whatever she can shoot better and that is going to be the deciding factor I just want opinions on the 10mm for law enforcement. She shoots the 1911 .45 well I'm sure will have no problems with the g30. The 10mm on the other hand has a higher cap but greater recoil, muzzle blast etc. Any advice/ opinions would be appreciated.
Jaykwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:21   #2
clarkz71

If she can keep the 1911, get the G20 and train with it until
she can get good follow up shots (double/triple taps).

The 10mm does have more recoil then the 45acp.

I had both the G21 and G20 so I have felt the difference.
G23 gen3 .40/.357 Sig
Florida Glocker #1923
clarkz71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:39   #3
F106 Fan

My wife's agency just changed to the Sig P229 Enhanced Elite. This weapon has a much smaller grip than the standard P229. More like a 1911 and less like a Glock which more closely resembles a 2x4.

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProdu...ced-elite.aspx

The agency will also install Hogue grips upon request. The ones without the finger groove. Due to ammo pricing, we haven't shot this new gun at the action pistol range although she has qualified with it.

We bought her previous P229 duty weapon and I added the Hogue grips WITH the finger grooves. What a fun gun to shoot! I LIKE this gun. I could see shooting it a LOT.

The P229 is usually used for plainclothes and the P226 for uniformed although I don't imagine there is a rule. The P226 is also available with Enhanced Elite ergonomics.

The P229 holds 12+1 of .40 S&W, the P226 is the same.

Richard
Old 04-04-2013, 07:44   #4
Bruce M

I think about any of the Glocks have a wider grip than a 1911; I guess the question is how big is too big. If the concern is capacity and a grip that is not too big then the Gen4 G17 or G22 comes to mind, as does one of the newer Sigs with the slimmer grip and maybe a short trigger.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.

Last edited by Bruce M; 04-04-2013 at 07:46..
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:47   #5
clarkz71

Does the agency issue the 229 or did you have to lay out $1200?
G23 gen3 .40/.357 Sig
Florida Glocker #1923
Old 04-04-2013, 07:53   #6
wdp

I don't own one but I don't know why a G23 Gen 4 wouldn't be a consideration. The ability to change the backstrap would help her find the right fit.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:55   #7
Bilrus61

If she likes .45

And she wants greater capacity look at the FNX. Hard to beat 15+1 of .45 ACP. Carry it cocked and locked just like a 1911.
Bilrus61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:03   #8
SamRudolph

I am a little confused about why, if the limiting factor is apparently her small hand size, her first two choices are two of the fattest Glocks made.
SamRudolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:07   #9
Sharkey

For 45 - an M&P 45C works great and I have small hands

Glocks? A 19 with quality ammo.

Maybe keep the 1911 and just carry 2 extra mags.

Also, what ever you do, don't let her cuff you off duty unless the cuffs are fuzzy.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:27   #10
03scgt

I diddnt know departments let you choose your duty gun or caliber,I thought most of it was issued.

I hate to say it because the m&p line has the worst stock trigger I've ever felt but the m&p 45 would probably fit her best.its got a nice feel to It and a skinnier grip than the glock.i don't think a g30 is a good idea for a lady with small Hands lol assuming she isn't super sensitive on recoil a 20sf might work well
03scgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:37   #11
Jaykwish

Wow thanks for the quick replies fellas, and here is a little more info. She wants more capacity just for peace of mind I guess, she does carry two extra mags but 8x3 is less than 10 or 15x3. She also wants a glock because of the number of Leo's that carry them here and having the same equipment is a plus. She was looking at the g20sf and the g30 because of firepower, she just likes the notion that she has a .45. I suggested the g20sf seeing that it has a 15 round cap if I'm not mistaken and the 10mm will be good for game as she had had to finish of animals hit by cars, deer for example. Thanks again for the info and any more suggestions/ LEO advice, experience is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:42   #12
BamaTrooper
Almost Done

Send a message via Yahoo to BamaTrooper
She wants to stay in the 45/10mm range? If she is considering a 30, did you mean 30sf, she could consider the 29sf.

If she wants high capacity and likes the 1911, will she try a Hi Power? Maybe one in .40?
Old 04-04-2013, 08:44   #13
boomhower

She isn't going to be using a pistol to kill a deer hit by a car, that's what a shotgun is for. If she likes 45 and must have a Glock get a 21SF. 10mm isn't going to give her much more in the long run and is going to make practice and qualifying much more expensive.

Some agencies will use the sharing a magazine excuse as a reason to issue the same gun. That falls flat on many levels and would do her no good as she certainly would be the only one with 10mm.

There have been several good options given here that would be better IMhO than the Glock for her hand size. Glocks are great but not the ideal solution for everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:48   #14
TinnCan

E2 sig would be hard to beat.... M&P with the small strap is also very thin...
TinnCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:55   #15
9mmdude

It is a handgun; hard to believe she will shoot a .45 or 10mm better than a 9mm. Have her shoot the hvy cals on a course against the 9 mm. Hits count.

My vote is a glock 17 or 19 or m&p 9
9mmdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:57   #16
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkz71 View Post
Does the agency issue the 229 or did you have to lay out $1200?
They are issued. The upgrade was actually caused by the fact that the night sights were getting dim. The guns were about 10 years old.

After we bought the old duty weapon, I installed new Trijicon sights. No big deal, I had already done it on my P220 so I had the tool.

Richard
Old 04-04-2013, 08:58   #17
Jaykwish

True story she would be the only one with a 10mm. A .45 is her first choice and she did like a FN-45 she held at a gun shop quite a while back now that I think about it ill just have to see if we can find one for her to shoot. She is very picky as she should be seeing that her duty weapon will at some point (hopefully not) have to be used to keep her or other officers safe. Where we live also there are no other officers on duty half of the time she is on duty and closest backup is 30-45 mins away( we live in BFE), and there aren't many experienced Leo's to talk with here so that's why I'm trying to help her out on here.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:16   #18
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykwish View Post
Wow thanks for the quick replies fellas, and here is a little more info. She wants more capacity just for peace of mind I guess, she does carry two extra mags but 8x3 is less than 10 or 15x3. She also wants a glock because of the number of Leo's that carry them here and having the same equipment is a plus. She was looking at the g20sf and the g30 because of firepower, she just likes the notion that she has a .45. I suggested the g20sf seeing that it has a 15 round cap if I'm not mistaken and the 10mm will be good for game as she had had to finish of animals hit by cars, deer for example. Thanks again for the info and any more suggestions/ LEO advice, experience is greatly appreciated.
The Gen 3 G21SF might fit her. It's worth a try. Mag capacity is 13+1 so that's a bunch of firepower. Given that the average gunfight is 3 rounds, I wouldn't give up a 1911 for a Glock but that's just me. My Sig 1911 with 8+1 is a very nice gun.

I'm one of the people who believes that interchangeable magazines across an agency (or even region) is a really big deal. Nevertheless, my wife's agency issues the P229s but individual investigators can carry pretty much anything they want to buy. Several carry personal Glocks.

One other thing: Your girlfriend may not like the Glock trigger after having shot a 1911. If she hasn't already done so, go to a range that rents guns and try them. Shoot a qualification round, if possible.

For absolutely certain, I would not pick up my G21SF if I could get to any of my Sigs or 1911s. I shoot it well but it's just not my first choice.

Richard
Old 04-04-2013, 09:19   #19
clarkz71

Quote:
Originally Posted by F106 Fan View Post
They are issued. The upgrade was actually caused by the fact that the night sights were getting dim. The guns were about 10 years old.

After we bought the old duty weapon, I installed new Trijicon sights. No big deal, I had already done it on my P220 so I had the tool.

Richard
The G21 SF holds 13, only 2 less then the 10mm.
Since she already shoots 45 well.
G23 gen3 .40/.357 Sig
Florida Glocker #1923
Old 04-04-2013, 09:22   #20
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

Quote:
Originally Posted by F106 Fan View Post
The Gen 3 G21SF might fit her. It's worth a try. Mag capacity is 13+1 so that's a bunch of firepower. Given that the average gunfight is 3 rounds, I wouldn't give up a 1911 for a Glock but that's just me. My Sig 1911 with 8+1 is a very nice gun.

I'm one of the people who believes that interchangeable magazines across an agency (or even region) is a really big deal. Nevertheless, my wife's agency issues the P229s but individual investigators can carry pretty much anything they want to buy. Several carry personal Glocks.

One other thing: Your girlfriend may not like the Glock trigger after having shot a 1911. If she hasn't already done so, go to a range that rents guns and try them. Shoot a qualification round, if possible.

For absolutely certain, I would not pick up my G21SF if I could get to any of my Sigs or 1911s. I shoot it well but it's just not my first choice.

Richard
Have her try the Smith and Wesson M&P 45 I did not think I would like it I have huge hands and it fits well my wife loves it with the small backstrap. It is more comfortable to shoot than a Glock 21.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Tags
10mm, duty weapon, g20sf, g30