GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-01-2013, 17:47   #1
muscogee

Difference in an Arsenal and a converted Saiga?

What's the difference in an Arsenal and a converted Saiga? the prices are getting close. Would you pay $80 more for an Arsenal? Do the Arsenals all have side rails? Will the folding stock on an Arsenal fold with a scope mounted?

Thanks

Leona Helmsley
muscogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 18:19   #2
adamg01

An Arsenal sidefolder will not completely close with a side-mount. If their is only $80 difference, you would be insane not to get the Arsenal. They are a high quality conversion with a much greater resale. The best part about an Arsenal/Saiga is the Russian barrel and receiver. I have two Sgl's and will never part with either.
adamg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 18:22   #3
muscogee

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamg01 View Post
An Arsenal sidefolder will not completely close with a side-mount. If their is only $80 difference, you would be insane not to get the Arsenal. They are a high quality conversion with a much greater resale. The best part about an Arsenal/Saiga is the Russian barrel and receiver. I have two Sgl's and will never part with either.
Thanks. I'm leaning that way.

Leona Helmsley
Old 04-01-2013, 18:24   #4
G23c

I'd go Arsenal too. the SGL's are sweet (still trying to get one).
G23c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 22:08   #5
FilesCreekMafia

For $80 more I would def go with the Arsenal. At my LGS the price difference is $300-$400 between the Saiga's and Arsenal's. The converted Saiga's here come with cheap furniture and sans muzzle break too.
FilesCreekMafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 22:34   #6
HWI

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscogee View Post
What's the difference in an Arsenal and a converted Saiga? the prices are getting close. Would you pay $80 more for an Arsenal? Do the Arsenals all have side rails? Will the folding stock on an Arsenal fold with a scope mounted?

Thanks
Between a fully converted Saiga and an Arsenal about the only difference would be the Arsenal stamp on the left side of the receiver and the fact that the Arsenal would not have the left over holes from the old fcg location. If the Saiga was one of the standard Saiga front end models and not one of the pre-converted front end models then it will also probably have a bolt on lower hand guard retainer instead of a proper AK handguard retainer.

If the price difference is only $80 then I would get the Arsenal.

Not all the Arsenals have the side rail, but most do.

Left side folding stocks, like the triangle and poly ones found on some of the Arsenal AKs, cannot lock into the folded position when an optic is mounted on the side rail. However, keep in mind that the side rail optic set up is designed to maintain zero when removed and reinstalled.
HWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 13:41   #7
im_n2_vws

I own both, for $80 go for it. There is a big difference in fit and finish. My sgl21 is like a show piece compared to my Century converted Saiga.
G-36 3rd gen
im_n2_vws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 14:51   #8
muscogee

Thanks everyone. When I tried to buy an Arsenal for $880 they were all sold out. I'm on the notify list.

Leona Helmsley
Old 04-03-2013, 16:43   #9
barth
six barrels

Quote:
Thanks everyone. When I tried to buy an Arsenal for $880 they were all sold out. I'm on the notify list.
I've got a Bulgy Arsenal SLR-106U.
I know it's not the same as a Russian Saiga.
But I love it.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a second Arsenal weapon.
barth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 18:02   #10
adamg01

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth View Post
I've got a Bulgy Arsenal SLR-106U.
I know it's not the same as a Russian Saiga.
But I love it.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a second Arsenal weapon.
Next you need one in a communist caliber. An Ak in 5.56 is like a Makarov in .45 acp.
Old 04-04-2013, 15:02   #11
HWI

Quote:
Next you need one in a communist caliber. An Ak in 5.56 is like a Makarov in .45 acp.
As an owner of communist caliber AKs I must make it known that my favorite AK is my SLR106.
HWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:07   #12
pugman

Quote:
If you are finding new Arsenal rifles post Sandy Hook at $880 buy out the store.

The gun show I was just at had them for $1400; even given gun show high prices you could easily walk into this show with a brand new one and sell it for $1,000. I saw at least half a dozen people with signs pinned to their shirts looking for "reasonable" priced AKs.

Two years ago they were $750; I tried buying when bud's had them at $795. Unless this is some local discrepancy ...if you can find them with only a $80 increase since November of 2011...buy them out and put them on armslist.

You don't sell them...its not like having 2-3 spare AKs around is a bad thing
Old 04-23-2013, 16:22   #13
WayaX
Lifetime Membership

Arsenal no longer makes the SGL series, which was their Russian rifle. There is a new company making them. The SGL series to not come with a folding stock and are basically fully converted Saigas. A converted Saiga is a crap shoot. There are many things that can be screwed up during the conversion. There are only 4 companies in the country I would trust to properly convert one and their prices put it in the range of an Arsenal SGL.

The SLR series have the folding stock and are different in key parts from the SGL. If you want a folding stock the SLR is the way to go.
"Throughout history, it has been the inaction of those who could have acted; the indifference of those who should have known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most; that has made it possible for evil to triumph."

-Haile Selassie I
WayaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 17:53   #14
adamg01

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayaX View Post
Arsenal no longer makes the SGL series, which was their Russian rifle. There is a new company making them. The SGL series to not come with a folding stock and are basically fully converted Saigas. A converted Saiga is a crap shoot. There are many things that can be screwed up during the conversion. There are only 4 companies in the country I would trust to properly convert one and their prices put it in the range of an Arsenal SGL.

The SLR series have the folding stock and are different in key parts from the SGL. If you want a folding stock the SLR is the way to go.
Not trying to split hairs but Arsenal released a side-folding Sgl-94 model about 2 years ago.
Old 04-23-2013, 19:52   #15
WayaX
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Not trying to split hairs but Arsenal released a side-folding Sgl-94 model about 2 years ago.
This is correct. There have been a few releases of their Russian (SGL) series that they have fitted with side-folding stocks. These were limited runs. If you find an SGL-31-94 for the cost of a converted Saiga, I would snatch it up very quickly.
"Throughout history, it has been the inaction of those who could have acted; the indifference of those who should have known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most; that has made it possible for evil to triumph."

-Haile Selassie I
WayaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:44   #16
Louisville Glocker
Urban Redneck

Yep, I bought an SGL21-94 through k-var (folding stock) a couple years ago. Price was steep (I'm remembering close to $1200), but I think worth every penny. Putting that authentic folder on there is a pain in the butt and not even cheap to try it yourself. Great gun, shoots flawlessly.

I'm a big Arsenal fan. Wish I had bought a few more when they were more available.

Last edited by Louisville Glocker; 05-01-2013 at 07:45..
Louisville Glocker is offline   Reply With Quote