Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-28-2013, 13:32   #1
cdurand
NRA Member

Accuracy with reloads (10mm and 45acp)

Hey guys,

I'm experiecing something with my Glocks and my reloads. I want to see if this is normal or not.

I reload 10mm. Nothing super crazy. Standard loads from the manual. Not over powered.

If I shoot the 10mm in my Smith and Wesson 1006 it shoots fine. Nice and accurate. No surprises.

When I should shoot my 10mm reloads in my Glock Model 20 the accuracy is terrible. And really inconsistent. The shots would go all over the place.

However, I bought an aftermarket barrel for my Glock 20 (Lone Wolf) and now my reloads shoot great.

Anyone else experiencing anything like this before?
cdurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 17:38   #2
fredj338

All guns are diff, factory or handloads. You didn't give any loads specs, but it's not uncommon for a gun to hate one ammo vs another.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:55   #3
WiskyT
Malcontent

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:13   #4
Three-Five-Seven
Señor Mombo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
All guns are diff, factory or handloads. You didn't give any loads specs, but it's not uncommon for a gun to hate one ammo vs another.
What Fred said. +1
Old 03-29-2013, 10:26   #5
ModGlock17

A reload set of parameter that results in sub-MOA in one rifle can give worse result in another rifle of the same model. But that's the world of precision rifle. It just says that no two guns are exactly the same, even the same model.
ModGlock17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:51   #6
byf43
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdurand View Post
When I should shoot my 10mm reloads in my Glock Model 20 the accuracy is terrible. And really inconsistent. The shots would go all over the place.

However, I bought an aftermarket barrel for my Glock 20 (Lone Wolf) and now my reloads shoot great.

Anyone else experiencing anything like this before?

One question -

Lead bullets used in the reloads????

I too, echo what Fred said.

"Live Free. Practice democracy. Make a difference. Love your family and your country." H.N.K. (My Dad) 09/02/1924 - 05/11/2012
byf43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 13:42   #7
dougader

Did you also install a heavier recoil spring along with the LW barrel? Sometimes a light spring can cause havoc in a semi-auto pistol. Or maybe it's just like Fred said...

"In St. Louis, armed Homeland Security agents monitored Tea Party members protesting the IRS. Good idea. When people think their government is out to get them, the best response is to send the government out to get them." -Fred Thompson
dougader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 13:57   #8
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
Sums it up succinctly.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 20:17   #9
Motown Fire
Everett

What bullets are being used? Lead, FMJ? My money is on lead bullets.

I have shot 10,000+ of my lead reloads down the stock barrels of my G23 & G27, they are just as accurate as factory ammo.

Different guns will "like" different loads, each one can be different. Load up some different rounds & see what load your Glock likes the best.
Old 04-02-2013, 16:26   #10
cdurand
NRA Member

FMJ bullets guys. I've never shot lead.

It's a few different loads. I shoot my 10mm reloads in my Smith Wesson 1006 and they shoot great. But the Glock 20 with the stock barrel doesn't like them. I bought a Lone Wolf barrel and it shoots great. Same for my Glock 21. Shoots better with my non-Glock barrel.

Just curious if anyone has seen this before. I reload 357Sig and that shoots just fine in my Glock 31 with the Glock barrel.
Old 04-02-2013, 16:49   #11
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdurand View Post
FMJ bullets guys. I've never shot lead.

It's a few different loads. I shoot my 10mm reloads in my Smith Wesson 1006 and they shoot great. But the Glock 20 with the stock barrel doesn't like them. I bought a Lone Wolf barrel and it shoots great. Same for my Glock 21. Shoots better with my non-Glock barrel.

Just curious if anyone has seen this before. I reload 357Sig and that shoots just fine in my Glock 31 with the Glock barrel.
You need to give us something to go on. What group size are you getting with the Glock barrel vs the LW and SW barrels?

Since you have been asked to give load information and haven't it is pretty hard to give you an answer. In general terms, I haven't seen a situation where a load shoots terribly in one gun but great in two others. While rifles can be picky, generally speaking, a given handgun will shoot any reasonable load about the same as any other reasonable load.

When you try to put a real fine point on pistol accuracy, a load can make a small difference. So, if a gun shoots a load into 2" at 50 yards, pretty much any other load will shoot within 3". That small difference is a big deal for people who need to shoot into 2" at 50 yards.

But, Glocks are shot into 4" groups at 25 yards, and only then by skilled shooters. Most Glocks are banging away into 6" at 15 yards. When you're talking about that kind of shooting, the load, or barrel shouldn't much matter.

Old 04-04-2013, 21:30   #12
cdurand
NRA Member

That's just it. I can shoot 6 inches at 25 yards.. unless I'm shooting my reloads through the Glock barrel. Then accuracy goes straight out the window. I'm lucky if I can keep them inside of 24 inches I'd guess. I don't measure my groups but the difference is significant.

I'll see about taking some pics and measuring different groups. What's a standard distance for this sort of thing? 25 yards?
Old 04-04-2013, 22:20   #13
Taterhead
Counting Beans

When you say "FMJ" bullets, any chance that they are actually plated bullets like Berry's or Rainier? Those can give fits if not treated with kid gloves.
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:32   #14
MakeMineA10mm
Lifetime Membership
300AAC brass

There may be something wrong with that barrel too. It may have been dropped on the muzzle and have a damaged crown, etc.

How does the factory Glock barrel shoot with other (factory) ammo?

I expect 3" groups at 25 yards from all my Glocks and routinely get it - all with stock barrels. Glock 45 barrels are some of the most-accurate barrels you can get.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Looking for: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.
MakeMineA10mm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 14:25   #15
dla

My guess would be that you're shooting standard fodder down an over-sized Glock bore.

dla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 16:29   #16
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
When you say "FMJ" bullets, any chance that they are actually plated bullets like Berry's or Rainier? Those can give fits if not treated with kid gloves.
We don't know his load because he won't tell us what it is. He's been asked a few times already. This thread is getting silly at this point.