SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:03   #1
joatmo
Under treatment

Why Glock?

I'm sure there is probably another thread like this somewhere but I figured i'd start another since I can't find it.
My question is, why do you carry a Glock? Moreover, what made you choose a Glock?
I'll try to keep this post shorter but a little history first. My first introduction to guns was at age 9. I got a Daisy BB rifle for Christmas. Shot it in the basement under the supervision of my Dad. Started hunting at the age of 13, rabbits and what not. I couldn't buy a rifle or pistol but I dreamed. Age 18, I bought my 1st shotgun. Remington 1100 12 gauge. Also the year I went to boot camp. Drilled into me how to handle a weapon. Years went by and i've had some other rifles and handguns. I've had Ruger(still do), S&W, Sig Sauer, H&K, FN, Beretta and Glock. My 2 favorites were Glock and Sig not that any of them are bad. Every time I went out to shoot, the Glock and the Sig stood out. Dead accurate and easy to handle. The Sigs got sold to help me out financially and some the Glocks stayed. Was it just that I could get more $ for the Sigs? Nope. Some of the Glocks got sold too. At one time I had a 19, 21SF, 23, 26, 27, 30S, 34 and a 35. Now I have a 30S and the 27. The Ruger is a SR22 that i'm teaching my daughter with and it's a nice pistol but my daughters life and mine is protected by Glock.

I can't remember what it is i'm supposed to forget.
joatmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:07   #2
knotquiteawake

I read an article in Popular Mechanics when I was 11 or 12 about the amazing new Glock 17, how it could hold so many bullets and was nearly indestructible and that planted the seed in my mind. I shot a glock in college, we had roommate's glock and a USP rental, the USP jammed 6 times out of 300 rounds and the glock did not jam once.
I did lots of reading and I just love the simplicity of the gun. I like the size, I like the way it feels in my hand, and I shoot them really well compared to other guns I have tried.

Last edited by knotquiteawake; 03-28-2013 at 11:12..
knotquiteawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:08   #3
GLOCK19FTW

If the police & military can trust their lives to a Glock, I can too.

...( ‘_’)
…/”"”"”"”"”"”\======░ · · · · · ·
/”"”"”"”"”"”"”"\
\_@_@_@_@_/
GLOCK19FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:11   #4
ChicagoZman

Like you I've owned and used many different handguns over the years and my personal favorites include 1911s, Hi-Powers, Glocks and S&W J-Frames. I have generally carried Glocks (23 or 27) because I know that mine always work, I can shoot them well and they are reasonably comfortable to carry all day.
ChicagoZman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:12   #5
Q56_Monster

Inexpensive (comparatively)
They run
Simple to use and breakdown
Lightweight
Durable
Workhorses

Many other guns are "nicer" and draw more attention from collectors, but no one can argue the effectiveness of Glocks.
Q56_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:16   #6
RyanNREMTP
Inactive/Banned

The SWAT team that I am a tactical medic with carries Glocks. So that is why I got a G22. I got my CHL and got a G19. I then traded that in and got a G27, which is what I carry now. Like one other said, I like them because they are simple and reliable. Plus I am very accurate with them.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:39   #7
Folsom_Prison
Brew Crew

Because when I take all my girlfriends to the range, there's nothing sweeter than watching hawt chics shooting glocks!
Folsom_Prison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:42   #8
Doughnutman_923

Send a message via Yahoo to Doughnutman_923
Quote:
Originally Posted by G19_AJ View Post
Because when I take all my girlfriends to the range, there's nothing sweeter than watching hawt chics shooting glocks!

I started out with a G22 when I was 16. My mom got it for me since I was the man of the house and she knew I was interested in firearms (particularly the Glocks I had seen so much at the Police Dept. where I was an explorer). I shot that thing so much, but I sold it to buy a G23, still have the barrel though! fast forward to today and I carry a G21 every day.

Glocks are relatively inexpensive, have a good reputation, and are used by over 60% of LE in the US. So it seemed like a good choice at the time. It really was! I have NEVER had a Glock fail me, except one G19 that I chalk up to simply being a lemon...even so, it still went bang. Other handguns have been either problematic, or just not very fun to shoot for me.

Still wish I had the cash for a Sig P220.

(Ooops, did I say that?)
Old 03-28-2013, 13:03   #9
Chronos

There are plenty of plastic fantastic pistols out there, but Glock does a few things exactly right (for me), that the others don't:

It's easy to get a very decent, SA-style trigger break with the design (I know about certain DA/SA types and don't like them).

The G19/G23 size frame is exactly the perfect size for me -- handles like a full size and conceals like a compact, while still carrying a full load of ammo.

Also, 10mm in the full-size frame.

Beyond that, there are the usual well-known features that are excellent (though others have basically caught up to their standard) -- rust free, reliable, durable, easy to customize, etc.
If you've already accepted that "violence against the innocent" is a morally legitimate means of funding the government, who are you to complain when the majority apprporiates your legacy and sells your children into a lifetime of debt slavery?
Chronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 13:09   #10
11BTaz

At one of my units when I was in the Army, Glocks were in the arms room available for carry (G19's and 26's). I went with the 19, it held the same amount as the M9 I carried at a previous unit, but was smaller, lighter, and I could put a light on it if I chose to. I never had a problem with the DA/SA trigger on the M9 but the safe action/constant action on the Glock made shooting even easier. Then take into account that there's no de-cocker or thumb-safety to worry about when presenting or re-holstering it - life is much simpler. If my primary went down, I could just draw and fire and then re-holster - that ****ing simple. It was also dead accurate, it never jammed, easy to clean and maintain, and considering what I said earlier with simpler manual of arms (draw, point and aim, fire) - I was very confident with the weapon, so much so that I bought my own (both a 19 and 26).

In short, it's a weapon/tool I can FIGHT with, that I know won't fail me, that will put holes where I want them to be, and at the end of the day will get me home and keep me alive - what more can I/you ask for? Granted it's a secondary weapon that's a back-up to my primary (rifle). Now the fact that the profile of the weapon makes it easy to conceal no matter what I'm wearing and won't interrupt the cut of my suits or show/print and don't cost an arm or leg like my buddy's Wilson, that's just an added bonus.
Old 03-28-2013, 13:26   #11
DWARREN123
Grumpy Old Guy

For many years I did not like the plastic pistols.
Once I tried Glock I tried not to like it but found it did everything I wanted/needed a pistol to do and did it without a hitch.
Easy to use/clean/manual of arms and just plain works.
Old 03-28-2013, 13:28   #12
Glock30Eric
.45 ACP

It is because Glock loves to be abused and it won't quit on you at all.
Glock30Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 13:32   #13
pochis

glock = everytime you pull the trigger it goes bang
pochis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 13:49   #14
Cream Soda Kid

People whose opinions I respect kept telling me that GLOCKs weren’t worth crap. I believed it without actually trying one out. Occasionally I would read a review in gun magazines that would extol the virtues of the GLOCK. But I learned a long time ago to try to read between the lines of those reviews because they rarely criticize a gun, any gun.

Then a friend of mine who likes GLOCKs finally convinced me to try out one of his at the range. He told me that he never had a failure in any of his GLOCKs that could be attributed to the gun itself. I took that with a grain of salt. But when I tried his G23, I liked it. I ended up buying myself a G19 and I liked it. I didn’t like the trigger on it but he said it’ll break in. It did. I think it’s the best gun that I own.

It’s the one that I have the most confidence.
Cream Soda Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 14:05   #15
joatmo
Under treatment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream Soda Kid View Post
People whose opinions I respect kept telling me that GLOCKs weren’t worth crap. I believed it without actually trying one out. Occasionally I would read a review in gun magazines that would extol the virtues of the GLOCK. But I learned a long time ago to try to read between the lines of those reviews because they rarely criticize a gun, any gun.
I was the same way. I finally shot my brothers 19 Gen 2 and I really liked it. My first one was a 26 and I haven't looked back since.

I can't remember what it is i'm supposed to forget.
joatmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 14:09   #16
Cream Soda Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by joatmo View Post
I was the same way. I finally shot my brothers 19 Gen 2 and I really liked it. My first one was a 26 and I haven't looked back since.
Yup, I often carry a G26, I like it a lot also.
Cream Soda Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 14:10   #17
Clusterfrack

I like owning nice (and expensive) firearms, and I have some really nice ones. But that's secondary to what I can do with a gun. I carry and compete with Glocks because I shoot them as well or better than any other platform, and it's a standard modular design. I have multiple guns worth of spare parts, most of which are interchangeable between all of my guns. Same for mags. Glock is the AR-15 of handguns.

Last edited by Clusterfrack; 03-28-2013 at 14:11..
Clusterfrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 14:16   #18
intenseneal

What made me go Glock is many things. I like the look of the Glock, when you see a Glock it just says business. Cost compared to quality, Glocks are IMO the best gun out there and they dont cost $1000. Reliability, one of the most reliable guns made period you know if you have a Glock of any gen it will fire when you pull the trigger. Cheap to fix if they do break and great customer service from Glock. Then there is all the different options Glock offers Gen 1,2,3 and 4 and compensated models as well. Calibers in 9mm, .40, .45 ACP, .45 GAP, 10mm, .357 Sig and .380 Auto. The there is size Standard, Compact, Subcompact and Competition/Long. So many options to go with from one company.
My G23 trigger spring broke on me will I was at the range doing a quick 50rds. I went threw all 50rds with no problems, fired each time I pulled the trigger, ejected, loaded and reset the trigger each time. I did not even know I had a problem until I got home and went to clean it. Heard something rattling and I worked the gun and pulled the trigger and it would not reset. Cost $4.50 to fix and was back in action the same day. Perfect example of how a Glock will keep running even with broken parts.

Last edited by intenseneal; 03-28-2013 at 14:21..
intenseneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 15:25   #19
poodleplumber

I have other pistols that are prettier and somewhat more accurate. My G26 gets carried every day because it is completely reliable and meets the compromise that I wanted between capacity and concealability. I also don't have to worry about getting it scratched or showing wear. I know it is just going to keep ticking along as long as I do. And it is plenty accurate enough, just not AS accurate as a couple of others I have.
poodleplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 16:20   #20
Made in Austria

I love the whole concept, the simplicity and the reliability of the Glock. I like it when I can take the whole gun apart in a matter of a few minutes if needed. I have lots of other non Glock handguns which have a bunch of roll pins and like 40 little springs in them and other small parts. One is really f..... If one of those guns goes down during a time when you need it the most. I mean excellent costomer service and all doesn't give much during a alien invasion or a zombie attac, lol.
Made in Austria is offline   Reply With Quote