Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-27-2013, 14:47   #151
JohnBT
NRA Patron

When I was little my daddy told me that life would probably be fair to me; but to him fair meant somewhere between average and below average on the quality scale.

I starting stocking up on ammo ten years ago when I first thought about retiring and now I'm starting to feel guilty when I go to the range and pull out more than a box or two of ammo. Oh well.
JohnBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 15:00   #152
Atlas
transmogrifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBT View Post
When I was little my daddy told me that life would probably be fair to me; but to him fair meant somewhere between average and below average on the quality scale.

I starting stocking up on ammo ten years ago when I first thought about retiring and now I'm starting to feel guilty when I go to the range and pull out more than a box or two of ammo. Oh well.
Guilty hell..
Everyone else had the same access to ammo you had.
Shoot it up and enjoy.

The real issue here is so many people just assume that WalMart or Kroger, or someone will always be there to provide for their every need, open 24/7/365.

It's like the countless threads here at GT over the years asking "why would you need more than 2 or 3 magazines for your Glock?".

Many would pose that question then proceed to tell everyone that you can only use one mag at a time, so no one really needs more than 2... or 3... or 4, or whatever number they had at the time.

The answer of course is that YOU may not need more than the two magazines that were packed with your Glock when you purchased it.

The answer for me may be that I place a high priority on having what I need to ensure I can shoot, to the extent possible.... come what may.
For that reason I may decide that 20 mags for each Glock is the right answer for me.

Ammo is the same way..
The concept of "hoarding" is silly, unless the person perceived to be "hoarding" had ammo stacked in every space in their home so they had no space remaining for living there...
Like someone on that TV series.

Why do some assume it's someone else's responsibility to provide for their needs, especially when it comes to anything so important as ammo, magazines, or spare parts for their gun? Why leave it to chance?

Why then be angry at those who prepared for any eventuality and took responsibility for their own ammo supply?

Uncontrolled, unaccountable government spending + Graduated income-tax = SLAVERY

Last edited by Atlas; 03-27-2013 at 17:02..
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 15:05   #153
purrrfect 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP View Post
Not so much about the ammo but I am bothered by the people buying actual firearms for the sole reason of flipping them. Seems to me this is the straw purchase crap that makes us all look bad. This guy on one of my local Facebook gun trading groups freely admitted to doing it on numerous occasions.

The Okie Corral
Sad part is people BUY
I'm in the best condition I possibly can be ~ being in this condition...
purrrfect 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 15:12   #154
vram74

I don't care how much ammo people buy. All I want to know is if the ammo suppliers will tool-up to meet the increased demand? Seems to be a safe bet that ammo is going to be in demand for quite a while.

Last edited by vram74; 03-27-2013 at 15:13..
vram74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 15:20   #155
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khao View Post
No... that's not what I think at all. I think you should buy what you need from an existing vendor, and stop creating more middlemen. I think you should stop stepping on other shooters for a quick buck.

Son, you're not going to make me the badguy here... don't even try. You're on the side of shady scalping practices, I'm on the side of morality. Get it? Got it? Good.
Middlemen make the market.

You didn't know that either did you.

There's no crime in ignorance but it really isn't necessary to fly the flag.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 15:24   #156
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
"We're actually helping you by taking MORE money out of your pocket... trust us...we're not scumbags"

Man you should work for the government.
Who takes more money out of your pocket? You getting mugged by ammo resellers?

certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 15:35   #157
glock1911revolver
Vice-Emperor

Quote:
No... that's not what I think at all. I think you should buy what you need from an existing vendor, and stop creating more middlemen. I think you should stop stepping on other shooters for a quick buck.

Son, you're not going to make me the badguy here... don't even try. You're on the side of shady scalping practices, I'm on the side of morality. Get it? Got it? Good.
If the vendors would raise their prices to the price that the "middlemen" are re-selling it for, this would settle down. Clearly you're pissed about the situation, but your anger should be directed at retailers.

This is day one Economics 101 stuff.
Old 03-27-2013, 15:43   #158
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by vram74 View Post
I don't care how much ammo people buy. All I want to know is if the ammo suppliers will tool-up to meet the increased demand? Seems to be a safe bet that ammo is going to be in demand for quite a while.
Look around at the financial pages. Every ammo company has ramped up beyond belief. From 40-60% of max output for one shift to two or three shifts of 75-100% of max output.

When the train that's eating ammo stops, there's going to be a glut from hell. Should be interesting. Those that are whining now might want to start putting pennies away for this time.
HerrGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 15:46   #159
Atlas
transmogrifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrGlock View Post
...When the train that's eating ammo stops, there's going to be a glut from hell. Should be interesting. ...

Do you suppose those now whining will begin maintaining their own stock of ammo, rather than depending upon WalMart to do so for them?

Uncontrolled, unaccountable government spending + Graduated income-tax = SLAVERY

Last edited by Atlas; 03-27-2013 at 15:48..
Old 03-27-2013, 15:49   #160
gwalchmai
Lucky Member

Quote:
When the train that's eating ammo stops, there's going to be a glut from hell. Should be interesting. Those that are whining now might want to start putting pennies away for this time.
That'll be my buying opportunity.
gwalchmai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 15:56   #161
Atlas
transmogrifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwalchmai View Post
That'll be my buying opportunity.
I wonder if Georgia Arms still sells over the counter in Villa Ricca?
When things loosen up I intend to pay a visit.

Old 03-27-2013, 16:01   #162
Steve0853

Quote:
Look around at the financial pages. Every ammo company has ramped up beyond belief. From 40-60% of max output for one shift to two or three shifts of 75-100% of max output.

This is the proper point of view. Let everyone buy as much as they want and don't sweat it.

There are countless ammo manufacturers and they are going to be even more as long as the demand is there. When the demand wanes, there will be some good deals out there.

I don't stockpile ammo, but I do keep enough to do some reasonable shooting for a 6-12 month stretch without having to buy. That last panic taught me that lesson.

And even though I have what I think is an adequate quantity, its not much fun to go out and blast away with 5.56 when the current market value is nearly $1.00 per round. It seems an extravagance.

However, when the panic dies down and the exact same boxes of cartridges are back in the $0.30-$0.40 per round range, I will not feel so guilty about blasting them away.
Steve0853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 16:04   #163
Steve0853

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
I wonder if Georgia Arms still sells over the counter in Villa Ricca?
When things loosen up I intend to pay a visit.
Georgia Arms was out of stock BEFORE the panic.

I used to buy a lot of ammo from them, but in the last 12 months have not been able to buy anything due to out of stocks.

(I won't comment about their prices doubling over the last 5 years.)
Steve0853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 16:12   #164
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Ouch. You are calling me a capitalist. Ouch.

Of course without capitalist, your life would look like the average African's life, so, sure us capitalists are the immoral ones.

The greatness of the Western world and why you have what you have is due to one thing: GREED.
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 16:13   #165
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
It's like the countless threads here at GT over the years asking "why would you need more than 2 or 3 magazines for your Glock?".
Good question.

How many do I need. With a pending magazine ban looming (unless there is an injunction issued), I have been stocking up on magazines.

In the last 5 weeks I have bought over 100 magazines.
2x4=8, not 14.
Old 03-27-2013, 16:27   #166
Khao

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post
Ouch. You are calling me a capitalist. Ouch.

Of course without capitalist, your life would look like the average African's life, so, sure us capitalists are the immoral ones.

The greatness of the Western world and why you have what you have is due to one thing: GREED.
Sure fire way to win an argument on glocktalk, call the other party a communist.
Old 03-27-2013, 16:30   #167
Khao

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
Middlemen make the market.

You didn't know that either did you.

There's no crime in ignorance but it really isn't necessary to fly the flag.

What is it with you people? You think the more condescending you are to me the more likely I am to roll over and let you pull the wool over my eyes? You're inflating the importance of abunch of bottom feeders. They "Help" me in the same way a ticket scalper who charges me double "helps" me. I'm "helped" by these shady practices in the same way I'm "helped" by a bad rash.

No amount of pseudoconomic babble is going to make me say that someone on a very limited income as it is, is better off with these ammo scalpers. NO AMOUNT.

Go back to listening to ayn rand novels on tape and laughing at those "not in the know."

Last edited by Khao; 03-27-2013 at 16:34..
Khao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 16:32   #168
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Sure fire way to win an argument on glocktalk, call the other party a communist.
I didn't call you a communist. I said you calling me a capitalist was very hurtful.

But of course, since you have brought it up, how well did Eastern Europe work out when goods were rationed and there were no middle men?

I guess the other way to win an argument on GT is call someone "son", right gramps?

Quote:
Son, you're not going to make me the badguy here... don't even try.:
2x4=8, not 14.
Old 03-27-2013, 16:36   #169
Atlas
transmogrifier

Quote:
In the last 5 weeks I have bought over 100 magazines.
You're hoarding magazines!!!

Last edited by Atlas; 03-27-2013 at 20:48..
Old 03-27-2013, 16:36   #170
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
They "Help" me in the same way a ticket scalper who charges me double "helps" me.
I just bought tickets from a "ticket scalper".

He helped me alot. I wasn't sure if I was going to be in Stuttgart when the concert was. I wasnt going to spend that kind of money and not be able to use the tickets. Now that I know dates, I bought tickets from a scalper. I got exactly what I wanted (front row) and it only cost me 38€ above the ticket price.

I had no hassle involved. So for 38€ I didn't have to worry about anything and tickets arrived on my desk. Seems like he made some money and I go a good deal out of it. I didn't have to camp out trying to get tickets and waste my time for 38€.

So, yes, he helped me.
2x4=8, not 14.
Old 03-27-2013, 16:37   #171
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
You're hording magazines!!!
Would that make me a hord?
2x4=8, not 14.

Last edited by DanaT; 03-27-2013 at 16:37..
Old 03-27-2013, 16:42   #172
Khao

Quote:
I just bought tickets from a "ticket scalper".

He helped me alot. I wasn't sure if I was going to be in Stuttgart when the concert was. I wasnt going to spend that kind of money and not be able to use the tickets. Now that I know dates, I bought tickets from a scalper. I got exactly what I wanted (front row) and it only cost me 38€ above the ticket price.

I had no hassle involved. So for 38€ I didn't have to worry about anything and tickets arrived on my desk. Seems like he made some money and I go a good deal out of it. I didn't have to camp out trying to get tickets and waste my time for 38€.

So, yes, he helped me.
Now consider this, if this bottom feeder hadn't bought abunch of tickets he had no intention of using... you would have saved 38 euros (around 50 dollars I think?) by getting them from a vendor. See to me, someone on a limited income, that is a lot.

He didn't help you or do you any favors, and you know it... and the fact you're trying to argue otherwise is grasping at straws.
Old 03-27-2013, 16:44   #173
Khao

And I will re-iterate, I know this is all perfectly legal and I don't think it should be otherwise. But I DO think you should get home and feel a certain level of shame.

Last edited by Khao; 03-27-2013 at 16:46..
Khao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 16:48   #174
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Now consider this, if this bottom feeder hadn't bought abunch of tickets he had no intention of using... you would have saved 38 euros (around 50 dollars I think?) by getting them from a vendor. See to me, someone on a limited income, that is a lot.

He didn't help you or do you any favors, and you know it... and the fact you're trying to argue otherwise is grasping at straws.
You have it wrong.

If this person wouldnt have bought them, they would have been all sold out and I would have had to purchase tickets with the risk of not being able to use them since I did not know at the time they went on sale if I could use them.

I also would have had to been online when the tickets went on sale.

So for 38€ I was able to bypass risk of having tickets I couldnt use and didn't have to take valuable time trying to get tickets.

I got a good deal for a useful service.
2x4=8, not 14.
Old 03-27-2013, 16:49   #175
JohnBT
NRA Patron

Let's see, I ordered a case of Aguila .45 ACP yesterday and just now ordered a 5-box-limit of 158 gr. FMJ .38 Sp. from Cabela's.

The prices weren't too bad either, which is why I bought it. Just a matter of being patient and lucky I guess.

I should have bought those 200 rounds of .45 LC at Walmart yesterday. I could borrow a gun, right?

John
JohnBT is offline   Reply With Quote