SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-31-2013, 21:18   #351
fepowered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427 View Post
How is ammo different than any other commodity/product?
You all seem hold ammo to a different standard.
This is not a supply side shortage, this is an artificial shortage created by a greedy few who are buying it up at the retail end. What do you think the reaction would be if someone were to try this with gasoline? How about milk? This is not a collectible Christmas toy we are talking here. Ammo is considered a necessary staple to many.
fepowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 21:22   #352
fepowered

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT86 View Post
In other words, what's keeping prices high is the fact that buyers will pay those prices.
Only a few are willing to pay those prices. It is the hope of finding this gullible few that the scalpers are betting on. Armslist and Gunbroker is full of people who jumped on the scalping band wagon too late. People are calming down and less willing to be screwed on price. It is only a matter of a short time and the market will self correct. Even the gullible eventually wake up, especially as summer comes around and they find other things to spend their disposable income on.
Old 03-31-2013, 21:38   #353

Quote:
Originally Posted by fepowered View Post
This is not a supply side shortage, this is an artificial shortage created by a greedy few who are buying it up at the retail end.
You can blame the .gov for doing that. Blame the people who willing pay the higher prices as they are the ones who are driving the market.

Quote:
What do you think the reaction would be if someone were to try this with gasoline?
You don't think that happens if a camel farts in the middle east? Ever hear of oil speculators? Besides, people will pay the higher prices.

Quote:
How about milk?
There's too much risk to try to buy and flip something with such a short shelf life.

Quote:
This is not a collectible Christmas toy we are talking here.
Ammo is no different than any other product. No difference.

Quote:
Ammo is considered a necessary staple to many.
If it's so important, they should've stocked up? Who but the clueless couldn't wouldn't see this whole "crisis? coming? They couldn't remember four short years ago or the Clinton era AWB?

Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think.
427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 21:47   #354
racerford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushinto View Post
Here you go:
Thank you, that was not what I intended to say. I left out the crucial word "not". I have since corrected my post.

Sorry for more poor typing and failure properly proof my work.

Thanks again. Clearly Walmart is not jacking their prices to scalper levels.

Last edited by racerford; 03-31-2013 at 21:50..
racerford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 21:52   #355
fepowered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427 View Post
Who but the clueless couldn't wouldn't see this whole "crisis? coming? They couldn't remember four short years ago or the Clinton era AWB?
There is no government created "crisis". There is no ammo ban being proposed. There is no supply shortage. There is no production shortage. People will not shoot .22lr any more this summer than they have the past summers.
There are proposed magazine bans but there is no magazine shortage. There are proposed EBR bans but there is no EBR shortage. The only true shortages are artificial ones created by greedy people and a few gullible end users.
Old 03-31-2013, 22:13   #356
Fumble
RIP Poom . . .

I don't mind the guy that buys out a store's ammo when they only have five boxes to start with. I do mind the guy that buys them out when they start with a pallet - I've seen it happen. The line for me is 500 rounds, that's the limit I would set if I ran a store that sold ammo.
Old 03-31-2013, 22:26   #357
fepowered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumble View Post
I don't mind the guy that buys out a store's ammo when they only have five boxes to start with. I do mind the guy that buys them out when they start with a pallet - I've seen it happen. The line for me is 500 rounds, that's the limit I would set if I ran a store that sold ammo.
Most places limit to 3 boxes of ammo or one bulk pack around here. The most I have seen is one place which allows 10 standard boxes which would make 500 handgun or 200 rifle rounds.
I saw dealers and individuals clear the shelves of thousands of rounds before the limits were set. I saw dealers pay full retail for EBRs knowing that they would make a killing because of the panic.

Last edited by fepowered; 03-31-2013 at 22:28..
Old 03-31-2013, 22:29   #358

Quote:
There is no government created "crisis".
No .gov created crisis!? Where have you been? So Obama and the media calling for an AWB isn't a created crisis? It's the .gov not driving the fear? OK, dude.

Quote:
There is no ammo ban being proposed.
Obama Will 'Evaluate' Bill Limiting Online Ammunition Sales, White House Says

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1720122.html

Quote:
There is no supply shortage. There is no production shortage.
Really? Then why is there a backlog, and ammo producers have to hire more workers and put on extra shifts?

Quote:
People will not shoot .22lr any more this summer than they have the past summers.
No? Not even given the record number of gun sales?

Quote:
There are proposed magazine bans but there is no magazine shortage. There are proposed EBR bans but there is no EBR shortage.
Who proposed the bans? Wasn't the .gov, was it?

Quote:
The only true shortages are artificial ones created by greedy people and a few gullible end users.
If you say so. You seem to be wrong on so many things....

Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think.
427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:02   #359
DocWills

We have alocal lumber/hardware store that sells guns and ammo. The before crisis prices were the same as the rest. after the crisis no ammo or guns.Sales went up. He bought all he could find and sold at a small markup. sold all he had. treated the future shipments like lumber and raised his prices gradually to what sold but not so low he sold all to one person.Result, we have a shop with guns and ammo, limit of two boxes, prices not so high you cant afford it.

At the moment hes got the right idea.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:08   #360
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
There is no government created "crisis".
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:18   #361
Bruce M

Quote:
.... Ammo is considered a necessary staple to many.
Color me skeptical. For other than a few people who actually feed themselves by hunting, and a handful of rounds for an actual emergency, my guess is ammunition is actually closer to a Christmas toy.

I agree that someone who runs a range could loose the business if they could get no ammunition; so far I have not heard of any ranges not being to get any ammunition, although some have reduced the amount sold for shooting.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.

Last edited by Bruce M; 04-01-2013 at 10:36..
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:10   #362
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
This is not a collectible Christmas toy we are talking here. Ammo is considered a necessary staple to many.

Ammo is as much a staple as an x-mas toy.

In what world do you think ammo is a "staple"?

Regardless if it is a "staple" you still have no right to something a cheap price unless you believe in communism then I can see why you would think you have a right to cheap "staples".
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:13   #363
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
T
There are proposed magazine bans but there is no magazine shortage.
Now you are showing you are spouting off BS.

Show me where I can order:
20 Gen3 Magpul 20 round magazines at under $15
20 Gen3 Magpul 30 round magazines at under $18
20 Std Capacity Glock20 magazines at $26 or under.

When there was no "shortage" you could order as many mags as you wanted. Now, many places have limits and/or no mags are available.
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:35   #364
starspangled

It's not what they paid for it... its what they pay to get the next one to sell... and right now the Government is signalling that it wants to enact regulations and laws that will make it more expensive to replace stock... if at all for some items.

All that is needed for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.
starspangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:39   #365
starspangled

"someone" is a specific, named individual. anyone else, and you don't know who it is yet isn't "someone", its "anyone".
The "someone" else is designed to prevent one from buying for a person who isn't allowed to buy themselves... nothing more.

All that is needed for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.
starspangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:50   #366
Atlas
transmogrifier

Quote:
This is not a supply side shortage, this is an artificial shortage created by a greedy few who are buying it up at the retail end. ...

Isn't "buying it up" the purpose of the "retail end"?

Uncontrolled, unaccountable government spending + Graduated income-tax = SLAVERY

Last edited by Atlas; 04-01-2013 at 08:56..
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:52   #367
GT86

Quote:
This is not a supply side shortage
Totally incorrect

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
GT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:50   #368
Mushinto
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerford View Post
Thank you, that was not what I intended to say. I left out the crucial word "not". I have since corrected my post.

Sorry for more poor typing and failure properly proof my work.

Thanks again. Clearly Walmart is not jacking their prices to scalper levels.
Well, then ... never mind. The last time I left a not out, the girl got out of my basement.
Mushinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:52   #369
Bullman
Ahhhhhhh, Bach

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrGlock View Post
I've got better things to get my blood pressure up from.

For instance, I've got to wash my parakeet's hair.
All this time I have known you and broken fortune cookies with you and I never knew you had a parakeet. Some friend I am.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJYsX1YGiGA
Bullman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:53   #370
kents

I don't care if its legal, or who caused it.

If someone is buying AT RETAIL STORES and reselling then their "business" is to screw people over out of greed.
kents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 13:00   #371
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
This is not a supply side shortage, this is an artificial shortage created by a greedy few who are buying it up at the retail end. What do you think the reaction would be if someone were to try this with gasoline? How about milk? This is not a collectible Christmas toy we are talking here. Ammo is considered a necessary staple to many.
This post is so absurd it's hard to take it seriously, BUT, what pray tell happens to the cost of staples when demand outstrips supply?
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 13:32   #372
Atlas
transmogrifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by kents View Post
I don't care if its legal, or who caused it.

If someone is buying AT RETAIL STORES and reselling then their "business" is to screw people over out of greed.
Is there something sacrosanct about goods purchased at a retail store?

Uncontrolled, unaccountable government spending + Graduated income-tax = SLAVERY

Last edited by Atlas; 04-01-2013 at 13:35..
Old 04-01-2013, 13:35   #373
ezthumper

Quote:
There is no government created "crisis". There is no ammo ban being proposed. There is no supply shortage. There is no production shortage. People will not shoot .22lr any more this summer than they have the past summers.
There are proposed magazine bans but there is no magazine shortage. There are proposed EBR bans but there is no EBR shortage. The only true shortages are artificial ones created by greedy people and a few gullible end users.
Joe..? Joe Biden is that you?
ezthumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 13:47   #374
kents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Is there something sacrosanct about buying at a retail store?
To me, sourcing from retail is a clear indication of several things - all of which are legal.

One thing it says is that the person conducting the purchase is deliberately playing a game of Buck Your Fuddy. Goods and services reach the retail point for sale to the consumer and not for re-sale as a normal economic model. This guy doesn't care that the ammo made it to the retail sales counter only to have another layer of profiteering added to the system - not only taking advantage of a organic fluctuation of supply and demand but furthering the gap by artificially withholding stock from the average buyer.

Think of it like some guy in front of you who grabs the last gallon of milk then turns to you and offers it to you for an extra $5. Legal? You bet? *******? You bet. That's not healthy capitalism fueling a growing economy - it's profiteering greed by a self-centered opportunist who is no more in the Dairy business than Clyde the Orangutan.

It's the reason retailers are capping purchases - to honor their customers instead of feeding the trolls.

This kind of behavior is exactly what's going to result in new laws to curb the profiteering very similar to what happens in hurricane states when Bubba jacks up the price of lumber and nails. It's only legal until it isn't.

The law doesn't require class, but I have no respect for people who take advantage of others.

It's just my personal view and not representative of what's legal or not legal.
kents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 13:50   #375
Atlas
transmogrifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by kents View Post
To me, sourcing from retail is a clear indication of several things - all of which are legal.

One thing it says is that the person conducting the purchase is deliberately playing a game of Buck Your Fuddy. Goods and services reach the retail point for sale to the consumer and not for re-sale as a normal economic model. This guy doesn't care that the ammo made it to the retail sales counter only to have another layer of profiteering added to the system - not only taking advantage of a organic fluctuation of supply and demand but furthering the gap by artificially withholding stock from the average buyer.

Think of it like some guy in front of you who grabs the last gallon of milk then turns to you and offers it to you for an extra $5. Legal? You bet? *******? You bet. That's not healthy capitalism fueling a growing economy - it's profiteering greed by a self-centered opportunist who is no more in the Dairy business than Clyde the Orangutan.

It's the reason retailers are capping purchases - to honor their customers instead of feeding the trolls.

This kind of behavior is exactly what's going to result in new laws to curb the profiteering very similar to what happens in hurricane states when Bubba jacks up the price of lumber and nails. It's only legal until it isn't.

The law doesn't require class, but I have no respect for people who take advantage of others.

It's just my personal view and not representative of what's legal or not legal.
So what you're saying is... you just don't like it.