SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-29-2013, 17:09   #301
Khao

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
By the way, you're not a free market guy.
You should really stop doing that. I think he's in a better position to say what kind of a person he is.
Old 03-29-2013, 17:24   #302
purrrfect 10

Buy and re- sell ??? you guys are killing the nation yup BUT anyone buying at those hight prices are just prolonging the issue of our ammo shortage.

DON"'T BUY from these rip off people. they are hurting themselves more than they know. Ya need a cup of coffee I will make you a pot.
I'm in the best condition I possibly can be ~ being in this condition...
purrrfect 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 17:47   #303
dogmower

that's the answer - wait it out. and remember the gougers, and never buy anything from them again unless it's a matter of life and death. that's what I am doing.
dogmower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 18:15   #304
Ruggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khao View Post
You should really stop doing that. I think he's in a better position to say what kind of a person he is.
Clearly you don't know ole CF, he has a better understanding of everything (including each and everyone of us) than anybody on the forum. Just ask him and he will tell you.
Ruggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 18:18   #305
Cybercowboy
Support the 2nd

Racerford has made the most cogent arguments in this thread. He wins. Anything beyond this post is pure asspuffery.
Old 03-29-2013, 21:51   #306
HauntedAlabama

I have been off work the past two days, hit Wal-Mart, Academy, couple gun shops, etc. Lucked up and got quite a bit of ammo for getting out of bed and being at the stores at opening. Academy had a guy in the parking lot paying people that went in to buy ammo for him, asked my wife to buy some and he would pay her five bucks?? Anyway, after the first Obama election I stocked up on ammo. Since all this has happened I have sold off quite a bit of ammo and made a good bit off of it. Most of what I have was on sale when I bought it, I marked it up about 20% over current normal prices, and have sold everything I have placed online for sale. Ammo I had for guns I no longer have I sold for current market normal price. Nobody that I have sold to has complained and many have called back wanting more. Here is my gripe about people that are complaining about people selling for a profit. Several, and I mean several, times I have tried to help someone out that asked for ammo at reasonable prices and every time I have been burned. Figured I would sell or trade some at regular price just to be nice. Ha! It isn't the grain or brand they want. They want to trade ammo from one caliber for another.....theirs is worth what the current market crazy price is but want to price my trade like it was 1990 and on sale. It's steel? I want brass, sorry. They want to give .23 cents per round but the pmags they want to trade for the ammo are worth $40 bucks each. Beg for ammo to be able to go shooting with their dad, admit when you message them they have plenty, just do not want to waste it. One guy was desperate for some 10mm ammo three days ago, had bought a Glock 20 and wanted to shoot it. Sold him a box for exactly what I had in it just to be a good guy, he puts the gun and ammo up for sale an hour after I left. I don't plan to bother trying to help anyone anymore, I am just going to keep what I have and use it myself.
HauntedAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 22:38   #307
JuneyBooney

Quote:
At what point do we become a hoarder? I have a few thousand FMJ 9mm, probably 500 9mm hollow points, 1000 or so .308.... maybe a few thousand 12 gauge.... but it's built up over the course of a few years.
You are just "well stocked" and not a hoarder.
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:03   #308
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
Clearly you don't know ole CF, he has a better understanding of everything (including each and everyone of us) than anybody on the forum. Just ask him and he will tell you.
My wife is due for a new bra size, too. Ain't that a *****?
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:39   #309
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmower View Post
that's the answer - wait it out. and remember the gougers, and never buy anything from them again unless it's a matter of life and death. that's what I am doing.
Good strategy because when it becomes a matter of life or death these fictional "gougers" will be the only ones who have what you need.

The other swell guys will have "reasonable" prices, purchase limits and empty shelves.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
certifiedfunds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 14:28   #310
Mushinto
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerford View Post
... Gosh, the same reason that Walmart is jacking prices to scalper prices...
I won't comment on the rest of your post, but this one is patently false.

Wal-Mart has hardly raised their prices at all. 9mm is still about $.40 ea. .45 is still between $.35 ea. (Federal) and $.40 ea (Winchester), .223 is still about $.25 ea. (Russian) and $.40 ea. (US), 7.62X39 is still .$30 ea (Russian), and .22LR is still about $15.97 for a 550 brick. There prices reflect purchases I have made within the past two months.

The fact is that they don't get as much as they used to and people haunt the ammo isle at 7AM and buy everything as soon as it's stocked. Their prices still represent the lowest almost anywhere.
Mushinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 14:44   #311
racerford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushinto View Post
I won't comment on the rest of your post, but this one is patently false.

Wal-Mart has hardly raised their prices at all. 9mm is still about $.40 ea. .45 is still between $.35 ea. (Federal) and $.40 ea (Winchester), .223 is still about $.25 ea. (Russian) and $.40 ea. (US), 7.62X39 is still .$30 ea (Russian), and .22LR is still about $15.97 for a 550 brick. There prices reflect purchases I have made within the past two months.

The fact is that they don't get as much as they used to and people haunt the ammo isle at 7AM and buy everything as soon as it's stocked. Their prices still represent the lowest almost anywhere.
I don't find where I posted the quote you attributed to me. I don't recall saying that. Maybe the quoting got confused.
racerford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 14:58   #312
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

My GOD! Today I bought a few packs of .223 ammo for *GASP* $6 per 20 rounds. HOLY COW, I could hardly sit down after such a reaming!

I cussed the store out for taking such advantage of the scarcity of ammo to charge ungodly prices.
HerrGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 15:27   #313
ruddee

The local sporting goods store started rationing select calibers; one box per three calibers. This was after many weeks of line-ups at store in the early morning hours; ammo in these select calibers would sell out in a few minutes. The rationing is a pain but I've at least found ammo for 0.50/rd rather than 1.00+/rd online and at gun shows; way to much for my budget.

It's not an issue of being right or wrong....just really annoying. Fortunately I don't get a lot of time to go shooting.....

-rh
ruddee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 15:48   #314
Atlas
transmogrifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruddee View Post
The local sporting goods store started rationing select calibers; one box per three calibers. ...
Yet so many here simply cannot understand that when demand exceeds supply, it must be either rationing or higher prices..
There are no other possibilities.

Uncontrolled, unaccountable government spending + Graduated income-tax = SLAVERY
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 15:54   #315
Khao

Serious question. Does anyone see the situation getting any better in the near future?
Old 03-30-2013, 16:03   #316
Atlas
transmogrifier

Quote:
Serious question. Does anyone see the situation getting any better in the near future?
There are underlying upward price pressures on ammunition due to inflation and the resultant devaluation of the dollar.
This drives up the price of brass, copper, and the energy required to manufacture a product like ammunition, irrespective of supply and demand.

Other than that, there is the continuing uncertainty over the possibility of government interference such as perhaps license requirements being imposed on ammo purchases, or burdensome punitive taxes imposed on ammo sales.

I would expect that more production capacity will be brought online to some extent, but that will take time, and is dependent on the confidence of the ammo manufacturers and their willingness to invest.

I don't expect it to improve to the extent that we will ever see prices at the level of 3 or 4 years ago.
Availability will no doubt improve at some point though.

Uncontrolled, unaccountable government spending + Graduated income-tax = SLAVERY
Old 03-30-2013, 16:08   #317
IvanVic

Is it not ironic that the same people calling stores everyday and buying up ammo as soon as they see it are the same people complaining about high prices? Firearm owners are their own worst enemy here. STOP BUYING AMMO AND THINGS WILL SETTLE DOWN.

IvanVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 16:16   #318
ruddee

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanVic View Post
Is it not ironic that the same people calling stores everyday and buying up ammo as soon as they see it are the same people complaining about high prices? Firearm owners are their own worst enemy here. STOP BUYING AMMO AND THINGS WILL SETTLE DOWN.

...exactly, hence the reason I won't buy anything over 0.50/rd...not until that's the only way I'm going to get it.

-rh
Old 03-30-2013, 16:23   #319
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Yes. Sooner if retailers stop holding prices artificially low.

certifiedfunds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 16:34   #320
Atlas
transmogrifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanVic View Post
What if I want ammo?

Old 03-30-2013, 16:55   #321
GAdawg54

thanks to the people like this around my town, the only way to get ammo here is to go to the range and buy a few boxes, pay for an hour of range time, shoot 20 rounds or so the leave. thats the only way/place to get ammo here. To get hollow points I ordered straight from corbon, who has an awesome military discount.
GAdawg54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 18:04   #322
starspangled

part of pricing in any market situation is not just CURRENT supply and demand, but the expectation of the cost of resupply in the FUTURE. one doesn't sell based on what one paid, but on what one anticipates they will have to pay to get more after they sell this...

so why is no one discussing the MASSIVE signalling that is coming out of Washington and some state capitals about future availability and cost due to political restriction.

instead of blaming people in the marketplace... blame the politicians that are saying the market in the future will be non-existent, much more restricted, and/or more costly.

All that is needed for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.
starspangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 18:07   #323
GAdawg54

when i can get it locally i pay $18.99 box for 50 PMC bronze 9mm and $39.99 box 100 winchester white box
GAdawg54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 20:43   #324
IvanVic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
What if I want ammo?
I would say that satisfying your short-term wants isn't as fruitful as enjoying stocked shelves and cheaper prices over the long run. Supply and demand aren't the only things that affect price. Each time one of these self-inflicted ammo shortages happen, there's an increased risk of long-term price effects. Suppliers may believe that people are willing to pay a higher price for ammunition, irregardless of supply, which can permanently inflate prices beyond a normal demand curve.

The whole thing is asinine. Half the reason people want the ammo is because it's hard to get.

IvanVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 21:17   #325
w4dov

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
If I ran a gunstore, I'd keep most of the ammo under the counter for regular customers and gun buyers, and limit quantities to facilitate this.
I bought a couple of boxes from LGS last week. I asked how many boxes I could get and he said 2. He said he was rationing it so his gun buying customers could have some.

Makes sense to me. I know I'd hate to buy a new-to-me-gun and the store not have any ammo for it. However, as a horder in training, I'd like to take every box I can home.