GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2013, 23:34   #76
Grabbrass
Senior Member
 
Grabbrass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Almost Heaven
Posts: 3,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownPicaro View Post
Just because they haven't gone after the Hang Gliders and other extreme sport enthusiasts doesn't mean anything. Hang Gliders are not costing companies as much as obese people. Please present a legitimate argument. Maybe one day they will. I bet they will when hang gliders are costing industries billions of dollars.
What about the obese hang gliders?? I'll bet they cost companies a pretty penny and then some.

And since sexual indiscretion can expose one to risk of AIDS, venereal diseases, cervical cancer, and etc., companies should also cut costs by firing all homosexuals and sluts. And pregnancies should only be by employer permit ... imagine all the lost time from maternity leave, school closings, doctor's appointments, etc. all because people are allowed to choose to have more than 1.6 children per couple. It's outrageous!

What responsibility does an employer bear for work environments that mandate a sedentary lifestyle? Some people work in cubes, staring at monitors all day, eat nothing but junk and chain smoke their way through breaks and stay thin. Others do the same and get fat. Is it because all the skinny ones are jogging after work?


.
__________________
I am the Cheese. I am the best character on this show. I am better than both the salami and the baloney combined.
Grabbrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 23:42   #77
ChiTownPicaro
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabbrass View Post
What about the obese hang gliders?? I'll bet they cost companies a pretty penny and then some.

And since sexual indiscretion can expose one to risk of AIDS, venereal diseases, cervical cancer, and etc., companies should also cut costs by firing all homosexuals and sluts. And pregnancies should only be by employer permit ... imagine all the lost time from maternity leave, school closings, doctor's appointments, etc. all because people are allowed to choose to have more than 1.6 children per couple. It's outrageous!

What responsibility does an employer bear for work environments that mandate a sedentary lifestyle? Some people work in cubes, staring at monitors all day, eat nothing but junk and chain smoke their way through breaks and stay thin. Others do the same and get fat. Is it because all the skinny ones are jogging after work?


.
Well Obese hang gliders fall under the obese label. As far as homosexuals and sluts, why? If they practice safe sex the rates are lowered dramatically. And what makes someone a slut? Is there a specific amount of sex required or partners required?

Overall homosexual men are at risk for some diseases at higher rates than straight men.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6893897

But either way, a sexually active lifestyle is not costing the company or nation as much as fatties are. When homosexuals and "sluts" cost as much as obesity does then we should talk. But the fact is that fatties are stealing from their employers by not working on their weight issues.

The employer bears no responsibility. If your job is impacting your life and you feel it is why you are fat, then perhaps it is time to think about a new line of work? Why are the obesity rates so much lower in the rest of the world and they have people doing the same jobs? What about some self responsibility? The reason they are skinny is because they get off their butts and work out. They also eat right. It is motivation and will power. They need to put the bucket of fried-chicken down and pick up a dumbbell.

Last edited by ChiTownPicaro; 03-27-2013 at 23:45..
ChiTownPicaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 23:46   #78
ChiTownPicaro
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 655
Oh and I might suggest learning more about proper nutrition and diet. Also on how to correctly exercise and maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
ChiTownPicaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 23:55   #79
NickC50310
Senior Member
 
NickC50310's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Des Moines Iowa
Posts: 3,921
Send a message via AIM to NickC50310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabbrass View Post
What about the obese hang gliders?? I'll bet they cost companies a pretty penny and then some.

And since sexual indiscretion can expose one to risk of AIDS, venereal diseases, cervical cancer, and etc., companies should also cut costs by firing all homosexuals and sluts. And pregnancies should only be by employer permit ... imagine all the lost time from maternity leave, school closings, doctor's appointments, etc. all because people are allowed to choose to have more than 1.6 children per couple. It's outrageous!

What responsibility does an employer bear for work environments that mandate a sedentary lifestyle? Some people work in cubes, staring at monitors all day, eat nothing but junk and chain smoke their way through breaks and stay thin. Others do the same and get fat. Is it because all the skinny ones are jogging after work?


.
You're wasting your time reasoning with this character. He doesn't have enough sense to realize what a slippery slope he is creating. His ideas and beliefs are even more of an attack on freedom than anything even the most communist lefty could dream up.

Health risks that cost everyone just as much as "fatties":
Sports
Extreme sports
Drinking
Smoking
Sex
Firearms ownership
Watching TV
Playing video games
Driving cars


Op- do you want your employer or government tell you what sports you can play? What food you can eat? What you can do in your free time? Does that sound like america to you genius? Grow a freakin brain.

Btw- I am a "fatty". Based on the bmi scale thing I am obese. I can probably bench around 250lbs and could probably leg press well over 400. I work out 5 days a week. I never go to the doctor unless I am severely hurt or severely sick. Last time I had to go to the Dr was in 2010 for a minor ear infection. Time before that was in 2006 for a broken leg in a car wreck. My fairly good health has saved the company and insurance an assload of money. Should I be penalized because of some stupid ass chart you want to base your decision on?

On the other hand I know tons of people who have never been overweight and are always sick. Why should they get off Scott free when they are costing the company and insurance an amount of money exponentially higher than what I am?

Bottom line- stop being an idiot. Better yet- idiots cost everyone tons of money due to making mistakes that get themselves or others hurt. Idiots also cost the company tons of money due to poor work quality. I think you should have to take an intelligence test (which you would obviously fail) to see if you're smart enough to exist in society without costing the rest of us money. If you fail you are unemployable and not smart enough to exist with the rest of us. You can live in a group home where your stupidity can't harm yourself or others. Sound fun?

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
NickC50310 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 00:03   #80
ChiTownPicaro
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 655
Do you have stats that show that extreme sports cost companies as much money? Why do you want to limit what companies and corporations can do? Why do you hate the free market? I don't want the gub'mint but I have no problem with my employer doing so. Nobody is forcing me to work there. Sorry but your socialism and Obama loving self is wrong. We don't need gub'mint telling companies how to run their businesses.

Last edited by ChiTownPicaro; 03-28-2013 at 00:06..
ChiTownPicaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 00:05   #81
ChiTownPicaro
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 655
Oh and it is good you are in shape. I might suggest losing some more weight as 250 can be high depending on your height. But either way I would suggest that you complain to your boss about the people who are always sick. You are correct? Why should you pay for them?
ChiTownPicaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:42   #82
NIB
Senior Member
 
NIB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Lost Angeles
Posts: 3,065
Dear Mr. Joe Smith,

We've recently viewed your personal docket maintained by the U.S. Department of Health & Welfare. Upon reviewing this information, we see that you have 3 registered handguns and 2 registered rifles. Ownership of firearms by employees of this illustrious company is forbidden under company policy. We feel that firearm ownership by our employees increases the chance of workplace violence. Firearms are also a million times more likely to be used on family members in the home according to research from the Obama Institute of Peace & Goodwill.

We are informing you that this is grounds for termination according to our policy that you signed and accepted when you began working for this company. As you know separate gun owner Health Insurance policies are very costly, therefor the company has decided to terminate gun owning employees so as to keep health insurance costs down. As protection from possible repercussions to our place of employment, we have turned off your badge access to all areas of the company. Should you need to enter the company are, you may do so at the security entrance check and you must have a minimum of 3 armed guard escorts.

Thank You,
__________________
They say that life's a carousel
Spinning fast, you've got to ride it well
The world is full of Kings and Queens
Who blind your eyes and steal your dreams
It's Heaven and Hell
NIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:02   #83
DustyJacket
Gold Membership
Directiv 10-289
 
DustyJacket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Missouri, East of KC
Posts: 5,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownPicaro View Post
Now the point is that fatties are costing the companies and the country money.
I disagree with this premise.

I cost my company less than the younger 'fit' people that milk the sick leave system.

Just being fat isn't the cost. It is complications IF you have them.
--------------
Additionally, you missed my point on the 12-hours behind a desk.

I am a wage slave and the company does everything it can to keep me there.

So, with the other 12 hours I have to commute, eat dinner, say hi to the family, get 8 hours of sleep, and so on. So, I never got proper exercise. I eat healthy foods, but without exercise the weight slowly builds over the decades.

I do not blame my employer. it is my fault.
If my company wants to fire me, they will lose the most productive employee they have.

If no other companies will hire me due to my weight, then I am unemployable and would have to go on the government tit. Then you get to pay me. Enjoy
__________________
"...our quick technology allows use to indulge our deepest stupidity and tastelessness with out first thinking...."
DustyJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:04   #84
DustyJacket
Gold Membership
Directiv 10-289
 
DustyJacket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Missouri, East of KC
Posts: 5,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownPicaro View Post
. I might suggest losing some more weight as 250 can be high ..
He said he could bench 250 pounds, not that he weighed 250 pounds.
__________________
"...our quick technology allows use to indulge our deepest stupidity and tastelessness with out first thinking...."
DustyJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:08   #85
Blast
'nuff said
 
Blast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: NKY/Cincinnati area
Posts: 19,609


Aw hell, just put everybody that don't measure up on welfare.
The taxpayer will take care of them. Problem solved.
__________________
A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be - Albert Einstein
Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:09   #86
norton
Senior Member
 
norton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Land of Lincoln, the growing years
Posts: 6,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z71bill View Post
The real solution - (if allowed or possible) is to pay people a salary - then they buy their own health insurance - life insurance - food - transportation - clothing - retirement - what ever the hell else they want and need.

Companies made a BIG mistake when they went down the fringe benefits road. Bad for companies - bad for the county.
Companies, like individuals, had to compete in the marketplace. Companies needed to hire the best prospects, couldn't do it if a competitor was offering something they were not.
And so it goes.
__________________
Tinker to Evers to Chance.
norton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:58   #87
Chesafreak
Senior Member
 
Chesafreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 1,622
The one factor that is depressing the economy more than anything else IMO is government regulation and red tape. There is so much red tape and regulation that business owners (Subway if I remember correctly) say that they couldn't have done that if they were starting up today.

Think Obama, EPA, ACA/Obamacare... Democrats are choking the economy off by regulation.

That being said, you should have the freedom to do whatever you want. Hanglide, be a fatty, smoke, drink, fornicate, whatever. Businesses should be able to make a profit by controlling costs and risk.

The insurance and health care industries are being regulated to the point that it will eventually be taken over by the government and be a system like Canada's in which you will have to wait months for some specialists and procedures. People ***** because the old capitalist ways leave many uninsurable or unable to afford insurance. The new Democratic, touchy feely ways will have everyone covered and will control costs one way or another, including legislating themselves into your personal business to control your health care costs.

You just can't make everyone happy. You can have a free market and freedom and a good economy and some people will be left out. Or, you can regulate everything to death and intrude on the free markets and individual rights but everyone gets equal care like a socialist system. If that's your preference, then you have to accept the harm to the economy, taxes, jobs, etc.

Last edited by Chesafreak; 03-28-2013 at 09:31..
Chesafreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:04   #88
NickC50310
Senior Member
 
NickC50310's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Des Moines Iowa
Posts: 3,921
Send a message via AIM to NickC50310
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyJacket View Post
He said he could bench 250 pounds, not that he weighed 250 pounds.
Reading comprehension and intelligence aren't his strong suits I don't think. Lmao! 250 is ideal or normal for my height on the bmi scale thing if I remember correctly. I've lost 40 lbs and my target is 250. Fact remains that on the dumb chart I am obese but cost my insurance company almost nothing in health care expenses.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
NickC50310 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:26   #89
ChiTownPicaro
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickC50310 View Post
Reading comprehension and intelligence aren't his strong suits I don't think. Lmao! 250 is ideal or normal for my height on the bmi scale thing if I remember correctly. I've lost 40 lbs and my target is 250. Fact remains that on the dumb chart I am obese but cost my insurance company almost nothing in health care expenses.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
I admit I misread your post. But if 250 is your ideal weight, you must be around 6 foot 5-6.

Either way I do think that the BMI is a good indicator.
ChiTownPicaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:32   #90
ChiTownPicaro
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyJacket View Post
I disagree with this premise.

I cost my company less than the younger 'fit' people that milk the sick leave system.

Just being fat isn't the cost. It is complications IF you have them.
--------------
Additionally, you missed my point on the 12-hours behind a desk.

I am a wage slave and the company does everything it can to keep me there.

So, with the other 12 hours I have to commute, eat dinner, say hi to the family, get 8 hours of sleep, and so on. So, I never got proper exercise. I eat healthy foods, but without exercise the weight slowly builds over the decades.

I do not blame my employer. it is my fault.
If my company wants to fire me, they will lose the most productive employee they have.

If no other companies will hire me due to my weight, then I am unemployable and would have to go on the government tit. Then you get to pay me. Enjoy
I am willing to bet you do cost the company more or will in the near future. Obesity will contribute to poor health and has been shown time and time again to be a large factor. Sooner or later you will have to pay the piper with regards to it.

As far as the point behind your desk, there is no logical point. If you are a wage slave that stinks. When you say they are doing everything to keep you behind your desk, you mean so you don't quit or so you don't do other things while at work?

Either way you can fit exercise into that 12 hours. Or better yet get a better job so that you can work just 8 hours a day.

As far as going on the governments teat, that is the problem. If a company fires someone for living an unhealthy lifestyle, then they should be ineligible for unemployment and any sort of welfare. They made the choice to live the unhealthy lifestyle and take money out of the hands of their employers. It is just like an employee who knowingly does something the wrong way at work and has been warned about it, especially when they do that thing wrong and it costs the company money. They should be fired for doing the same thing.
ChiTownPicaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:40   #91
captainstormy
Senior Member
 
captainstormy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 3,925
Send a message via ICQ to captainstormy Send a message via AIM to captainstormy Send a message via Yahoo to captainstormy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownPicaro View Post
If a company fires someone for living an unhealthy lifestyle, then they should be ineligible for unemployment
Really? So that person pays into unemployment their whole working life and because the employee fires them because they don't like their life style they shouldn't be able to get their money back out of unemployment?
__________________
I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. - John Bernard Books(John Wayne in The Shootist)
captainstormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:39   #92
NickC50310
Senior Member
 
NickC50310's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Des Moines Iowa
Posts: 3,921
Send a message via AIM to NickC50310
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownPicaro View Post
I admit I misread your post. But if 250 is your ideal weight, you must be around 6 foot 5-6.

Either way I do think that the BMI is a good indicator.
I'm 6'4"

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
NickC50310 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:43   #93
ChiTownPicaro
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainstormy View Post
Really? So that person pays into unemployment their whole working life and because the employee fires them because they don't like their life style they shouldn't be able to get their money back out of unemployment?
If the person knows the company is loosing money due to their obesity, they should take steps to fix the problem. Just like if the company is losing money to them being late everyday or not being able to start at 8:00 instead of 9:00.

Sorry but your choices do impact others, and obesity impacts the bottom line. So they should have every right to fire you if you are harming the bottom line. The employee should lose weight and start living right.

They are not being laid off, but being fired (and rightfully so) for harming the companies profits.
ChiTownPicaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 14:03   #94
Booker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownPicaro View Post
If the person knows the company is loosing money due to their obesity, they should take steps to fix the problem. Just like if the company is losing money to them being late everyday or not being able to start at 8:00 instead of 9:00.

Sorry but your choices do impact others, and obesity impacts the bottom line. So they should have every right to fire you if you are harming the bottom line. The employee should lose weight and start living right.

They are not being laid off, but being fired (and rightfully so) for harming the companies profits.
Dear ChiaPet
Your posts prove that you are a brain dead idiot. Since your disability is negative for the bottom line........You're Fired!
Booker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 14:29   #95
ChiTownPicaro
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booker View Post
Dear ChiaPet
Your posts prove that you are a brain dead idiot. Since your disability is negative for the bottom line........You're Fired!
You are hilarious. Seems that you cannot argue with my logic. Why don't you go start campaigning for your 2016 candidate Hillary Clinton, my Obama loving PC pro-gay socialist friend. I am sure Obama thanks you for your votes.
ChiTownPicaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 14:33   #96
tsmo1066
Happy Smiley
 
tsmo1066's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 7,255


Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownPicaro View Post
It should not be considered a disability. Choosing to not take care of yourself and choosing to be confined to a wheel chair should not grant you special rights. You choose that and I should not have to grant you special rights because of it.
What "should" or "shouldn't" be is moot. The Americans with Disabilities Act doesn't care why you are in a wheelchair - disabled is disabled.
__________________
Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you. - Benjamin Franklin
tsmo1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 14:47   #97
ChiTownPicaro
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmo1066 View Post
What "should" or "shouldn't" be is moot. The Americans with Disabilities Act doesn't care why you are in a wheelchair - disabled is disabled.
I understand that. But we as Freedom loving Americans need to change this fact. People who put themselves in wheelchairs should not be rewarded. All these people have to do is change their behavior.
ChiTownPicaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 14:53   #98
N4LP
Senior Member
 
N4LP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesafreak View Post
That being said, you should have the freedom to do whatever you want. Hanglide, be a fatty, smoke, drink, fornicate, whatever. Businesses should be able to make a profit by controlling costs and risk.
That's true, but your freedom to do those things isn't stopped by some company unwilling to employ you. Your freedom to be fat, shouldn't stop my freedom to charge you more for health coverage, or simply not hire you. Essentially people against this are arguing that obesity should be a made protected class by the government, like gender or race.

All that in mind, I don't think BMI is the right measure to use, some people (like in the NFL) don't fare well on this, but are in great shape. And speaking of the NFL, there's an example of an employer who will pay you less or not employ you if you have health issues...even if they don't affect your abilities today.
N4LP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 15:07   #99
tsmo1066
Happy Smiley
 
tsmo1066's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 7,255


Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownPicaro View Post
I understand that. But we as Freedom loving Americans need to change this fact. People who put themselves in wheelchairs should not be rewarded. All these people have to do is change their behavior.
Well, as freedom loving Americans we all should realize that until you DO change the American's with Disabilities Act, the concept of discriminating against the obese or diabetic is patently unfair as such discrimination essentially says "If you are a 250 pound fattie, I can refuse to hire you, but if you are a 400 pound mega-fattie in a wheelchair I not only have to hire you, but I have to build a ramp for your chair and remodel the bathrooms to accomodate your girth."

Get the ADA changed and then we can discuss your hiring preferences.
__________________
Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you. - Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by tsmo1066; 03-28-2013 at 15:08..
tsmo1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 15:10   #100
ChiTownPicaro
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmo1066 View Post
Well, as freedom loving Americans we all should realize that until you DO change the American's with Disabilities Act, the concept of discriminating against the obese or diabetic is patently unfair as such discrimination essentially says "If you are a 250 pound fattie, I can refuse to hire you, but if you are a 400 pound mega-fattie in a wheelchair I not only have to hire you, but I have to build a ramp for your chair and remodel the bathrooms to accomodate your girth."

Get the ADA changed and then we can discuss your hiring preferences.
Well I don't think that it is discrimination. I would argue it is looking out for the bottom line. You keep calling it discrimination. First we need to change what you are calling it to protecting the bottom line.

So how do we change it? Maybe Rand Paul will help? Perhaps we can get some of the Tea Party freshman to introduce bills that get rid of the Socialist ADA?
ChiTownPicaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 19:28.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,629
481 Members
1,148 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42