GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2013, 20:20   #61
AK_Stick
AAAMAD
 
AK_Stick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Alaska, again (for now)
Posts: 20,543
Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by quake View Post
Maybe I'm slow or just missed it, but I don't recall seeing documentation of a purchase (or even an RFQ/RFP for that matter) for the 1.6 billion number that keeps popping up. The one RFQ that I saw was for 50-60 million, spread out over five years.

I think the 1.6 Billion was the maximum total purchase, if they purchased every round they could, every period of every year.
__________________
Quote:
Thomas Paine:

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 20:38   #62
The Fist Of Goodness
Senior Member
 
The Fist Of Goodness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Falling into Crime's Dinner Party.
Posts: 2,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by quake View Post
Maybe I'm slow or just missed it, but I don't recall seeing documentation of a purchase (or even an RFQ/RFP for that matter) for the 1.6 billion number that keeps popping up. The one RFQ that I saw was for 50-60 million, spread out over five years.
I have maintained for sometime that the 1.6 billion number is either bad math, or pulled out of thin air. Journalists are not renowned (at least modern journalists) for their attention to detail.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
Quote:
Don't forget that everything we know is being filtered through the media which is like playing a game of telephone with mentally challenged people in the middle.
The Fist Of Goodness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 20:44   #63
BlackPaladin
Senior Member
 
BlackPaladin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Somewhere out there
Posts: 2,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by railfancwb View Post

Anyway...who supplied the tanks at Waco?


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Good people did, that guy went from one fire to the next. POS
__________________
niners club #187
moto club #600
Bull dawgs club #55
RIP Ofc. Tommy Decker #6402 CSPD
BlackPaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 20:53   #64
quake
Senior Member
 
quake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Arkansas, USA
Posts: 8,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post
I think the 1.6 Billion was the maximum total purchase, if they purchased every round they could, every period of every year.
Could be, but the 50-60 million number was the maximum "up to" amount the one rfq I've seen. It would take 30 of those rfq's, all fulfilled to their maximums, to get near that 1.6 billion number.

Not saying the 1.6 billion is bogus; just saying it seems to get bandied about a bunch and I personally haven't seen any documentation anywhere near that number. Seen less evidence of it than I have of reptoids or roswell aliens, actually; and (much like those) I'd be genuinely interested in seeing something concrete...
__________________
"The best a man can hope for is a chance to prove that the good lord didn't make a mistake putting him here in the first place." - Will Sonnett

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 21:04   #65
AK_Stick
AAAMAD
 
AK_Stick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Alaska, again (for now)
Posts: 20,543
Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by quake View Post
Could be, but the 50-60 million number was the maximum "up to" amount the one rfq I've seen. It would take 30 of those rfq's, all fulfilled to their maximums, to get near that 1.6 billion number.

Not saying the 1.6 billion is bogus; just saying it seems to get bandied about a bunch and I personally haven't seen any documentation anywhere near that number. Seen less evidence of it than I have of reptoids or roswell aliens, actually; and (much like those) I'd be genuinely interested in seeing something concrete...

Me too.

Did just find this though,

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gears...not-worry-you/
__________________
Quote:
Thomas Paine:

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:24   #66
Donn57
Just me
 
Donn57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sunny Florida
Posts: 1,066


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingarthurhk View Post
Who would they shoot? Please provide a list.
I don't know. Maybe no one. Why do they need 86,000 rounds per employee regardless?

There is more news today that the FBI is looking to purchase $100M worth of ammo. So obviously, the FBI is purchasing their own ammo, not relying on the 1.6B rounds that DHS may purchase. This would support the first article that splits a possible 1.6B round purchase by DHS between just two agencies over five years.
Donn57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:37   #67
Donn57
Just me
 
Donn57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sunny Florida
Posts: 1,066


Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post
Interesting article, but it does beg the question, if there is no way that DHS is actually going to purchase 1.6B rounds of ammo, why the authorization to purchase so much more ammo than they will historically actually need? What is the logic for authorizing a 750M round purchase for an agency (FLETC) that will use less than 100M rounds, according to the article?

And is this the norm? The last time DHS went through this exercise, was it also for seven times more ammo than actually purchased?
Donn57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:55   #68
B.Reid
Senior Member
 
B.Reid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Montana
Posts: 2,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post

Whatever you say. This isn't the 30's and we're not Nazis.


But continue making a fool of yourselves, I'm enjoying the laugh.
Yes, but what will YOU do when they order you to confiscate firearms?
__________________
Embrace the apocalypse!

Earth has always been a dangerous place to live. Be prepared!
B.Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:40   #69
AK_Stick
AAAMAD
 
AK_Stick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Alaska, again (for now)
Posts: 20,543
Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Reid View Post
Yes, but what will YOU do when they order you to confiscate firearms?
I don't see that as a realistic course of action. Alot has been changed in the aftermath of Katrina.

They might still take our guns away, but it won't be by military confiscation.
__________________
Quote:
Thomas Paine:

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:02   #70
B.Reid
Senior Member
 
B.Reid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Montana
Posts: 2,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post
I don't see that as a realistic course of action. Alot has been changed in the aftermath of Katrina.

They might still take our guns away, but it won't be by military confiscation.
I hope you are right, and I believe that most in the military would not follow an illegal order. But my question was, What will YOU do?
__________________
Embrace the apocalypse!

Earth has always been a dangerous place to live. Be prepared!
B.Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:11   #71
AK_Stick
AAAMAD
 
AK_Stick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Alaska, again (for now)
Posts: 20,543
Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Reid View Post
I hope you are right, and I believe that most in the military would not follow an illegal order. But my question was, What will YOU do?

What I think is the correct action at that time.


I can't say one way or the other without a specific scenario.
__________________
Quote:
Thomas Paine:

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 14:50   #72
Ruble Noon
"Cracker"
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 11,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenforme View Post
Its OK to disagree with the government and the officials we elect but statements like this demonstrate that you clearly have no idea what Fascism was.
Lol...
Ruble Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 13:21   #73
railfancwb
Senior Member
 
railfancwb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Shelbyville, Tennessee TN
Posts: 4,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunHo198 View Post
They can't exactly say the money was spent for condoms for secret service so they are saying its for DHS ammo...
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/...#ixzz2OriHQTSs


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
"Never give to your friend any power that your enemy may some day inherit." -- Paul Weyrich
railfancwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 18:57   #74
Mil-Pro
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 10
Overwhelming force is always important.... and ammo is a key ingredient in the recipe.
Mil-Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 22:49   #75
ray9898
Senior Member
 
ray9898's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Georgia
Posts: 17,532


Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn57 View Post
I don't know. Maybe no one. Why do they need 86,000 rounds per employee regardless?

There is more news today that the FBI is looking to purchase $100M worth of ammo. So obviously, the FBI is purchasing their own ammo, not relying on the 1.6B rounds that DHS may purchase. This would support the first article that splits a possible 1.6B round purchase by DHS between just two agencies over five years.
The FBI is not under DHS so any conclusion you are trying to imply is going to be false.

Last edited by ray9898; 03-31-2013 at 15:05..
ray9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:55   #76
Bolster
Not Ready Yet!
 
Bolster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: State of Stupidity
Posts: 1,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post
The problem with your argument, is that my statement was not that was then, this is now,
You say that's not your argument, then you enlarge and elaborate on that same argument below. I think you're unclear on what you're arguing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post
and your argument, is a gross oversimplification of what happened.
It would be a gross oversimplification to say I'm making an argument that Obama = Hitler. There are both striking similarities between the two men (in type of talent, lack of experience, ideological fervor, and technique), and also vast differences (in goals, personal history, racial preferences, and so on). History doesn't repeat, it merely rhymes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post
We have a system in place that will not allow someone like a modern Hitler rise to power. That's the entire point of our checks and balances.
This is the most amusing part of your post, the amount of gullible faith you place in legislators to 'play by the rules.' One of Obama's great legacies is the amount of erosion he's caused to the American system, and how many ways he's found to ignore the law, to get around checks and balances. Now he's earnestly working toward creating an America with a single party (his, and perhaps yours), and a powerful, intrusive, controlling government.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post
Your arguments, and statements to support your arguments, are not based in fact. They're emotionally charged distortion a of the truth, intended to conceive and support a fallacious argument.
That's an ironic comment, because that's precisely how I perceive your arguments: pure emotion.
__________________
From the "...land of the regulated, and the home of the entitled."
Obama is the symptom, not the cause.

Last edited by Bolster; 03-30-2013 at 08:56..
Bolster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:43   #77
Stevekozak
Returning video
 
Stevekozak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolster View Post
You say that's not your argument, then you enlarge and elaborate on that same argument below. I think you're unclear on what you're arguing.



It would be a gross oversimplification to say I'm making an argument that Obama = Hitler. There are both striking similarities between the two men (in type of talent, lack of experience, ideological fervor, and technique), and also vast differences (in goals, personal history, racial preferences, and so on). History doesn't repeat, it merely rhymes.



This is the most amusing part of your post, the amount of gullible faith you place in legislators to 'play by the rules.' One of Obama's great legacies is the amount of erosion he's caused to the American system, and how many ways he's found to ignore the law, to get around checks and balances. Now he's earnestly working toward creating an America with a single party (his, and perhaps yours), and a powerful, intrusive, controlling government.



That's an ironic comment, because that's precisely how I perceive your arguments: pure emotion.
Good post!! I am not sure about your very last point (ie AK being emotional) but everything else is spot on in my estimation!

P.S. I am glad to see you posting more here again. You used to have some thought provoking threads. I, for one, am curious about how your solar oven progression has come along, but that is for a different thread, I reckon.
__________________
"You fight until you die. That's the whole deal in life. PERIOD." Regular Joe
Stevekozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 14:50   #78
tenforme
Senior Member
 
tenforme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolster View Post
......

It would be a gross oversimplification to say I'm making an argument that Obama = Hitler. There are both striking similarities between the two men (in type of talent, lack of experience, ideological fervor, and technique), and also vast differences (in goals, personal history, racial preferences, and so on). History doesn't repeat, it merely rhymes.
Striking similarities between Obama and Hitler - are you kidding, what bubble do you live in.

Do you have a clue what Hitler actually did?
Are you aware of the sacrifices that the Allies made to remove him?
Are you aware of just how offensive such comments are to the many who lost loved ones and family in WW2?
Please do yourself a huge favor and learn some history before you embarrass yourself any further


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolster View Post
This is the most amusing part of your post, the amount of gullible faith you place in legislators to 'play by the rules.' One of Bush's great legacies is the amount of erosion he caused to the American system, and how many ways he found to ignore the law, to get around checks and balances. How Bush and Chaney rigged elections and jerrymandered whole states to create an America with a single party (his, and perhaps yours), and a powerful, intrusive, controlling government.
There you go I fixed it for you - you really do seem to have a problem with historical facts
tenforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 21:05   #79
LongGun1
StraightShooter
 
LongGun1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: N E Louisiana & N Arkansas
Posts: 12,407

GOP Lawmakers .....proposed "AMMO Act"


http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...with-ammo-act/
__________________
"Got Preps"??

"Accuracy first, Speed second.....Speed first, Accuracy never"

Last edited by LongGun1; 04-25-2013 at 21:15..
LongGun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 15:07   #80
tenforme
Senior Member
 
tenforme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 780
Good god is there no end to this BS?

So the lunatic fringe of the GOP is proposing a new law that prohibits the government from doing something it does not do but which could have unintended consequences.

I guess the counterpoint will be laws from the lunatic fringe of the Dems seeking to outlaw citizens from hoarding ammo!!!
tenforme is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:55.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 648
141 Members
507 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 16:42