SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-19-2013, 18:48   #1
Glock19Fan
Cool Guy

Mre

Many people have different views on MRE's, but after being around them for 6 years, and eating at least one every single day for as long as 8 months, I think they are a waste of money and space for most uses.

The MRE was designed for medium-long term nutrition and energy with a little regard to space. Although the MRE is compact compared to commercial food, for a short term misson, MREs take up too much space. Food is a very low priority during a 72 hour mission, and even assuming a light 2 meals a day would make 6 total MREs really hard to make room for.

What I always packed in my bag was a few cans of ravioli, energy bars, and candy in place of MREs. They seemed to go farther, there was more enjoyment, and they calories matched, if they werent even higher. There was less bulk and less trash to deal with.

Becuase mine were already paid for, I never complained about the cost. However, on the civilian side I see these things selling in gun stores for $8-$12!!! I cannot believe anyone would actually pay these prices, but I guess they have the cool factor for the guys who never served.

Overall, unless you have an entire connex to devote to MREs and you dont care about flavor and varity, the MRE is not for you. In your bags, instead of MREs switch it out for ravioli, beef jerkey, trail mix, candy, ect. Use the extra room for tourniquets, water, and other useful supplies.
Old 05-19-2013, 19:06   #2
quake

Never have had an MRE as far as I recall, even any components of one. We had c-rations when I was in.

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 21:54   #3
Carry16

+10 quake

In 65-66 in Vietnam I ate a bunch of those C-rations left over from WWII. Only thing I recall being any good were canned peaches. We were living high on the hog when we finished them and moved on to K-rations. Never had refrigeration during my tour so if we got any fresh meat we ate it quickly. That didn't happen all that often. Also, this was the only place I ever ran into whole milk in a can - unrefrigerated. It was pretty good on cereal. They were like little v8 cans - took at least two for your cereal.

I do have a few dozen MRE's in storage and I ate one that was pretty good. May have been something like chicken ala king. In a piinch I'm sure they would go down real easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quake View Post
Never have had an MRE as far as I recall, even any components of one. We had c-rations when I was in.
Carry16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:57   #4
Aceman

I agree - I never buy MRE's at stupid prices, and they have limited use to me. As many have mentioned - they can be repackaged to a much more portable size.

They have their uses/benefits. But I agree - it's limited.
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:25   #5
Tvov

I have had a few MREs just to try them. I found them incredibly filling. I was more stuffed after eating an MRE than what would be a normal meal for me.

I don't see that they are "backpacking" food, as all the parts of the MRE take up so much space... although, while backpacking, one MRE is practically two days worth of food if you stretch it.

I would have no problem having MREs stored somewhere, like at a hunting cabin, or at home for long term (week maybe) storm situations -- which, in the last two years, we've had 3! (two hurricanes and a blizzard).

But having said that... as to long term storage for survival/preparedness... don't most MREs have a relatively short shelf life, like 2-5 years? That is actually not that long for long term storage.

As to taste, I thought the MREs I had were very eatable, not bad at all. Some people hate them, maybe my taste buds are not as refined as theirs...

I'm not angry, I'm just loud. - Friend's son.

Last edited by Tvov; 05-20-2013 at 06:27..
Tvov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:26   #6
Tvov

Oh, and yes, they are expensive for "civilians". I think you can get far more bang for your buck buying other food basics.

We bought them just to try them out.

I'm not angry, I'm just loud. - Friend's son.
Tvov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:45   #7
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member

I had enough in the 80s in Central America, would only eat another if I was starving.
FLIPPER 348 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:15   #8
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Not bad to have as an alternative if you had to eat on the run since it's all self contained and you don't have to worry about lugging a #10 can with water and heating element and then try to portion it out.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:15   #9
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

This thread made me do a count we got 360 cases of MREs 180x2.Fairly current dates AND climate controlled/rute cellar as a friend says.Food storage is all about climate control,albeit canning/pre-packaged/dehydrated ect.

The pioneers have valuable lessons regarding this,pay attention ta ones past.It will help in ones future.'08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:02   #10
SFCSMITH(RET)

IMHO, they have some place in preps.. but they are not THE answer.. But then again, I don't generally think there is ONE answer to almost any prep question.

My backups have backups in most cases. Things I think are super important like, say, water.. I have 4-5 plans.

Like Sarge in the Red vs Blue zombie PSA says "why do you think I always carry a shotgun?"
SFCSMITH(RET) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:05   #11
Deputydave

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirgi08 View Post
This thread made me do a count we got 360 cases of MREs 180x2.
Is that 12 to a case? How much did a case run you if you don't mind me asking?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Deputydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:10   #12
HenryinFlorida

Quote:
Originally Posted by quake View Post
When I was in Viet Nam we had some C-Rations also. As I remember, the Pork ones tasted the best to me.
HenryinFlorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:20   #13
quake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carry16 View Post
...In 65-66 in Vietnam I ate a bunch of those C-rations left over from WWII. Only thing I recall being any good were canned peaches. We were living high on the hog when we finished them and moved on to K-rations...
Never had K-rations, but I thought they actually pre-dated the C-rations, used back in ww2 times?

Then again, with govt logistics & inventory management, it could very well be that the older ones got distributed after the newer ones...

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...

Last edited by quake; 05-20-2013 at 11:20..
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:29   #14
Unistat

The thing about MREs is that I can throw an MRE and a few bottles of water in a sack and have food for a day. It's not ideal, but good enough in emergencies. Old ones can be taken camping and rotated out. Before a road trip, throw a few in the car with a couple of two liters of water for emergencies.

IMO they should not make up the bulk of your food preps, just as freeze dried should not. They have a place though as they are self contained and relatively portable.

"Fire and Forget" food preps, if you will.

Last edited by Unistat; 05-20-2013 at 11:30..
Unistat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:36   #15
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputydave View Post
Is that 12 to a case? How much did a case run you if you don't mind me asking?
With respects ociffer,you don't wanta know.It was a a trade deal.We traded 100lbs of venison and permission ta hunt the land and got the result in full.

The dates are ancient and current,we have had no problems...............

We own 50acres of prime hunting grounds,folk enjoy and respect that.'08.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:18   #16
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
They're alright for what they're designed for. Not great, but alright.

That said, after eating 3 a day 6 months, I'll never eat another if I have my choice. I do have about 6 cases in the preps though.

If you strip them out of the bag, and use them correctly,they are pretty damn good for short term high intensity period meals.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:46   #17
Aceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post

If you strip them out of the bag, and use them correctly,they are pretty damn good for short term high intensity period meals.
This; A great call if you need to go, go now, and travel light. Probably the best bang-for-size/filling factor food out there if you are on the run.
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:51   #18
Batesmotel

I was Marine infantry. I ate tons of those things. One time we got nothing but Chicken Ala-King. Every case, every meal, every day, all the same.

I live in Utah. Major earthquake zone. When the Wasatch fault complex goes we are screwed. Emergency prep is a big thing here. People can't believe I don't stock up on MREs. I buy cases of beef stew and ravioli and rotate them each year.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:53   #19
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

Old 05-20-2013, 13:20   #20
Zeebra724

MRE (Meals Refusing to Exit)...they're really not that bad though...but do take up a lot of space...they work great as shims by the way!