GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2013, 17:22   #1
tcabend
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 25
What's the with ammo?

What's going on with not being able to get ammo? You would think the ammo manufacturers would be getting more out there because of the demand for it.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
tcabend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 17:23   #2
Slotback
Glock 35
 
Slotback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1998
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,541
Any time any hits the shelf, it's bought up.
__________________
The triple option: Pistol, Shotgun, Rifle.
Slotback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 17:24   #3
m2hmghb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Livin in the country of NJ
Posts: 12,220


The manufacturers will not expand their operations, they know when the crunch hits that the expansion will hurt them. Instead they are running at maximum production with what they have. In addition there is the possibility that they are having problems getting powder and primers in the numbers they need.
__________________
Here's a toast to our wives and to the women we loved. <pause> May they never meet.

The M1 Garand rifle is the best battle implement ever devised by man.
m2hmghb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 17:50   #4
WoodenPlank
Who?
 
WoodenPlank's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NW Florida
Posts: 7,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by m2hmghb View Post
The manufacturers will not expand their operations, they know when the crunch hits that the expansion will hurt them. Instead they are running at maximum production with what they have. In addition there is the possibility that they are having problems getting powder and primers in the numbers they need.
Last time this happened, primers were the limiting factor. You can only speed up production of primers by adding more equipment. The primers have to be dried in something similar to a kiln, and if it's done too quickly, you end up with bad primers. This is another (relatively) short term spike in demand, so I highly doubt that manufacturers will do anything except run their existing systems at capacity until things die down. Nobody is going to do much expanding in this environment.
__________________
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
WoodenPlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 19:10   #5
Neocon
Senior Member
 
Neocon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Sweet Home
Posts: 562


I noticed a little while ago that every time my income doubles so does the price of ammo


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
http://www.hooverrooter.com
Neocon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 19:12   #6
cowboy1964
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 14,408
You can't just magically add production to accomodate excessive demand.

Wait until an EMP hits and people wonder why we can't replace 1,000,000 transformers overnight....

Last edited by cowboy1964; 03-24-2013 at 19:14..
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 19:39   #7
WoodenPlank
Who?
 
WoodenPlank's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NW Florida
Posts: 7,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
You can't just magically add production to accomodate excessive demand.

Wait until an EMP hits and people wonder why we can't replace 1,000,000 transformers overnight....
I think the bigger concern would be who we nuked off the face of the earth for doing it to us, and if everyone else said "Screw it" and started launching, too.
__________________
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
WoodenPlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 21:34   #8
m2hmghb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Livin in the country of NJ
Posts: 12,220


Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
Last time this happened, primers were the limiting factor. You can only speed up production of primers by adding more equipment. The primers have to be dried in something similar to a kiln, and if it's done too quickly, you end up with bad primers. This is another (relatively) short term spike in demand, so I highly doubt that manufacturers will do anything except run their existing systems at capacity until things die down. Nobody is going to do much expanding in this environment.
I did notice a batch of Rem UMC .223 55 grain with both gold and silver colored primers.
__________________
Here's a toast to our wives and to the women we loved. <pause> May they never meet.

The M1 Garand rifle is the best battle implement ever devised by man.
m2hmghb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:10   #9
GSSF17
...2 of 'em
 
GSSF17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Central FL
Posts: 1,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neocon View Post
I noticed a little while ago that every time my income doubles so does the price of ammo


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Screw ammo! How are you making your income double, apparently more than once?
__________________
-Rimfire Club#1097 -Florida Glockers Club#1097 -Black Rifle Club #1097 -Certified Glock Armorer

RIP John Noveske- 1976 - 2013
GSSF17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:03   #10
Hummer
Big Member
 
Hummer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Western Colorado
Posts: 2,905
I don't think this is just a short term spike in demand like we've seen before. The current administration has four years left. How many more sicko mass shootings will there be to reignite the issues?

Fwiw, it appears manufacturers are ramping up production and adding new infrastructure but I wouldn't expect prices to fall anytime in the next four years.

Guns and ammo sales spark jobs boom
__________________
"We own this country. Politicians are employees of ours."

Clint Eastwood
August 30, 2012
Hummer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:24   #11
surf
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,019
Posts like this are annoying. It seems like common sense with what is currently happening would pretty much leave things self explanatory. Demand greatly outweighs production. The Military and LE have not slowed down on ammo purchasing and sure as heck the civilian demand has skyrocketed. To think that some things being produced can be easily increased to meet this overwhelming demand in this recent panic buying time frame is pure ignorance. Then again, more people should have seen this coming and been a bit more prepared. On the plus side, this has made many more new firearms owners and many will probably not allow themselves to get caught with their pants down next time around when things start to settle a bit. It will be a rocky next 4 years period.
surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:50   #12
mgs
Always Carrying
 
mgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1998
Location: cogan station, pa, usa
Posts: 3,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcabend View Post
What's going on with not being able to get ammo? You would think the ammo manufacturers would be getting more out there because of the demand for it.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Where have you been the last few months....in a cave? Idiots are waiting for the delivery truck now at the LGS and pissed you have to price it first.....they wait! I guess they are desperate....not me. Been buying big for over 10 years....saw this coming some day.....it's here!

Last edited by mgs; 03-25-2013 at 11:51..
mgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 16:07   #13
tcabend
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 25
@ Surf ..... Really I annoy you? Oh I'm ignorant now. Lol back at ya.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
tcabend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 19:10   #14
uhlawpup
Gentle Soul
 
uhlawpup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Houston
Posts: 5,298
Send a message via Yahoo to uhlawpup
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSSF17 View Post
Screw ammo! How are you making your income double, apparently more than once?
Oh, for Pete's sake! That's no secret. I've done it three times.

It's called working smart and getting an education that keeps you working smart.

As far as ammo, there's hope. I had an hour to kill on Saturday, so I went to a Wal Mart that I don't usually frequent to look for some .380 and found my guardian angel was working overtime.

Miracle one was that instead of an abandoned ammo section, I not only found someone there, but he was stocking ammo.

Miracle two was that it was .380 he was stocking.

I got my three box limit.

My guardian angel's name is Jay. See what yours can do when asked...
__________________
uhlawpup - deep in the heart of Downtown Houston

CRUX SANCTA SIT MIHI LUX
NUNQUAM DRACO SIT MIHI DUX
uhlawpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:32   #15
Hummer
Big Member
 
Hummer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Western Colorado
Posts: 2,905
I saw .380 auto and .38 special on the shelf at WM last weekend, both of which I hadn't seen in 3 months. Picked up the .38 special and more .40 s&w in 100 round boxes. Both .40 and .45 auto show up with some regularity. I've gotten ~1000 rounds of .40 in the past few weeks.

Haven't seen any .223 at WM. It's very scarce at Cabela's, and priced >$1/round. They did have a couple of Sig 551 rifles for $2450 each. Tough market.
__________________
"We own this country. Politicians are employees of ours."

Clint Eastwood
August 30, 2012
Hummer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:47   #16
Cole125
Silver Membership
Senior Member
 
Cole125's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Far West, USA
Posts: 7,581
The ammo situation does seem to be improving. Shotgun and rifle ammo other than "tactical" calibers is readily available both online and in stores. Handgun ammo is out there, you just have to get lucky. .22 lr ammo? Forget it. I have heard from people in the industry it is going to be around a year until .22 lr is readily available again.
Cole125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:06   #17
mgs
Always Carrying
 
mgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1998
Location: cogan station, pa, usa
Posts: 3,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole125 View Post
The ammo situation does seem to be improving. Shotgun and rifle ammo other than "tactical" calibers is readily available both online and in stores. Handgun ammo is out there, you just have to get lucky. .22 lr ammo? Forget it. I have heard from people in the industry it is going to be around a year until .22 lr is readily available again.
No .22 ammo for year? I find that hard to believe. It is made on totally different epuipment than certerfire. Can't imagine it sitting idle. JMHO.
mgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 19:47   #18
Cole125
Silver Membership
Senior Member
 
Cole125's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Far West, USA
Posts: 7,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgs View Post
No .22 ammo for year? I find that hard to believe. It is made on totally different epuipment than certerfire. Can't imagine it sitting idle. JMHO.
I said it will be a year or more until .22 lr ammo is readily available. Companies are producing .22 lr at their usual rate, the demand is far exceeding the supply. Their are also rumors in the industry that Remington and Winchester are both producing LESS .22 than usual and using most of their supply of raw materials for centerfire ammo which is much more profitable.
Cole125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 20:13   #19
Guatariccan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 165
......

Last edited by Guatariccan; 03-26-2013 at 20:22..
Guatariccan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 21:48   #20
DAIadvisor
Senior Member
 
DAIadvisor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kettering, OH
Posts: 2,437
Remember people paying 100+ dollars for a PMag? Feeling pretty stupid now, don't they? Same thing with ammo. If you wait a few months instead of stalking local Walmart for any sign of ammo in stock, you'll be able to buy it at normal prices and without fighting off other nuts.

Also, hate to say it, but people should have been stocked up years ago. I don't know why everyone is suddenly out.
DAIadvisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 22:56   #21
skeeter7
Brass Vulture
 
skeeter7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 5,745
__________________
NECC #401
skeeter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:07   #22
m2hmghb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Livin in the country of NJ
Posts: 12,220


Quote:
Originally Posted by DAIadvisor View Post
Remember people paying 100+ dollars for a PMag? Feeling pretty stupid now, don't they? Same thing with ammo. If you wait a few months instead of stalking local Walmart for any sign of ammo in stock, you'll be able to buy it at normal prices and without fighting off other nuts.

Also, hate to say it, but people should have been stocked up years ago. I don't know why everyone is suddenly out.
For some of us it's not that we're out, it's that we want to keep a steady supply to replace what was shot.
__________________
Here's a toast to our wives and to the women we loved. <pause> May they never meet.

The M1 Garand rifle is the best battle implement ever devised by man.
m2hmghb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:06   #23
mgs
Always Carrying
 
mgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1998
Location: cogan station, pa, usa
Posts: 3,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole125 View Post
I said it will be a year or more until .22 lr ammo is readily available. Companies are producing .22 lr at their usual rate, the demand is far exceeding the supply. Their are also rumors in the industry that Remington and Winchester are both producing LESS .22 than usual and using most of their supply of raw materials for centerfire ammo which is much more profitable.
That makes sense.....I guess.
mgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:37   #24
Nine Shooter
Average Guy
 
Nine Shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 812
Im no doomsday prepper like on those silly shows, but what i find interesting is how short supply ammo is now because of a manufactured crisis, think about how long it would last in a true national/global disaster. It would literally be traded like gold.
Nine Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:08   #25
Cole125
Silver Membership
Senior Member
 
Cole125's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Far West, USA
Posts: 7,581
Guys here is a video with some important information about the ammo situation. Please watch it and share it with your friends.

Cole125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:51.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,082
331 Members
751 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42