Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-25-2013, 20:44   #1
moeman

Impulse purchase: A Luger, P7M8...

My gun impulse purchases are pretty wack... Recently, in the current gun scare a Luger came up for $800. I bought it-- I had ZERO plans for a Luger but it's pretty and cool. Made in 1939.

Below are my weird impulse guns recent to past (pics from web). I wasn't looking for any of these guns and was looking for another when bought:

1. Luger (that I don't know crap about... serial numbers I see match, importer stamp.) Have yet to shoot it but will soon. damn this thing points nice. weird grip angle actually works. Nice machining.
General Firearms Forum

2. HK P7M8 Jubilee (25th aniv. engraved 1/500 in box). Yes i shoot it...
General Firearms Forum
General Firearms Forum

3. Uberti Cattleman 1873 (Colt single action clone, engraved). Beauty!

General Firearms Forum

4. OK after the pretty guns above this one will seem crazy. Llama 45 acp. Princely sun of $150-- I used to teach youth to shoot w/ this gun thinking if it breaks from all this use who cares? It never broke and it is as reliable as any of my 1911s (this is not a true 1911 but does use the mags).

General Firearms Forum

Now show/tell your impulse buys.

Last edited by moeman; 03-25-2013 at 20:46..
moeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 22:31   #2
collim1
Shower Time!

Very cool Luger, I have always wanted one.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 23:11   #3
Morgo

Nice P7
Morgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:32   #4
joatmo
Under treatment

I won't say my impulse buys are wack but they are definitely impulse buys. I can't remember the order but here a few.
Sig P226 Tacops- wasn't planning on buying a gun but held it and had to have it. Expensive f'er too!
H&K USP compact 9- I don't see many H&K's around my area so I picked it up. Put 50 rounds through it and sold it.
Glock 26- this was a custom pistol. Lone Wolf barrel, stainless RSA, TFO sights, 3.5# trigger, titanium plunger and more. Shot like a dream and accurate as Hell. Saw it and told the guy to put a price on it. Took it to the range the next day and another shooter saw me and offered me more than what I paid for it. Gone.
Berretta Nano- saw the reviews and decided I wanted one. I played with the trigger at the LGS and thought, it's not to bad. Wrong. There's a reason I never owned a Berretta. (YMMV)
Glock 34 & 35- both wicked accurate weapons. This was when I thought about competing a little. Bought both at the same time. I put some rounds through both of them but carrying them was a pain. (more on carrying further down).
Ruger LCR .357- I read really good reviews on this pistol. I saw a few but they were quickly snatched up. I finally saw one and instantly bought it. Trigger is one of the better ones. This was going to be my BUG. Purchased some .357 and .38's and went to the range. This little SOB kicks with the .357. No problem, i'll use the .38's. Still stings and i'm at a bit of a disadvantage already missing part of a finger. Sold.
I'm sure there's more but frankly, I can't remember. As for the carrying part? If I can't carry it comfortably, I won't own it. I am now down to my Glock 30S and a Ruger SR22 that I am teaching my daughter with.

Last edited by joatmo; 03-26-2013 at 05:34.. Reason: grammar
joatmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:13   #5
bac1023

Very nice stuff

Congrats!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:00   #6
Pier23

I have my father's wartime Luger, personnally taken off Himmler or Goebbels, I forget which...maybe it was Eva...anyway, I have fired it a few times, and it is a bit disconcerting the way the slide articulates back, but it shoots well. Very comfortable to shoot and they are very natural pointers.

A trip to lugerforum.com will get all your questions answered.

I would love to have another Luger I could use as a regular shooter...I don't _think_ anyone is making that pattern anymore...a pity. Luger is a piece of craftsmanship.

Forget how many parts are in the thing, but it breaks down and reassembles easily. YouTube is your friend here.

$800 seems ro be the foing rate for mid-quality shooter grade, so it appears to me you did very, very well.
Pier23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:05   #7
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Congrats on the Luger. I wouldn't mind paying $800 for a Luger that is functional.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:10   #8
Gary1911A1

Very nice looking Luger for $800. Every serious handgun fan should have a Luger.
Gary1911A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:12   #9
Bruce M

A very interesting find. Someday I might try and find one of the .22 Lugers (Stoeger?)
It can be interesting to just wander around a big store or a show without anything in mind even with something else, finding a gun that is essentially an impulse purchase.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:32   #10
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

I really want a Broomhandle but the price of that model also had risen considerably, comparable to Lugers right now.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:40   #11
moeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M View Post
A very interesting find. Someday I might try and find one of the .22 Lugers (Stoeger?)
It can be interesting to just wander around a big store or a show without anything in mind even with something else, finding a gun that is essentially an impulse purchase.
In each case of my impulse buys the gun(s) I wanted were not available. Right now, the shops I use the most won't even order a gun that isn't already in their system.

I the case of the P7M8 it was in the special wood box and the coin was missing. I thought I was free and clear when I said something like: " yeah but that's the spot for the coin right? Can't get a collectors gun w/o the full package." I thought this wound end my folly. A guarantee that they'd get me the coin and a free range session had me reaching for my back left pocket.

When I went to pick it up... They told me how several hard core collectors came in looking for that exact gun and how they sold it to someone who barely knew how to spend HK.

Last edited by moeman; 03-26-2013 at 09:48..
moeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 17:08   #12
uhlawpup
Gentle Soul

Send a message via Yahoo to uhlawpup
I wish I had a Luger.

CRUX SANCTA SIT MIHI LUX
NUNQUAM DRACO SIT MIHI DUX
uhlawpup is online now   Reply With Quote