Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:58   #1
cfr

Does it exist?

Considering swapping out my PPQ 9MM, the problem is I don't know what I'd swap it with.

Criteria:
  1. Decent SA trigger. Doesn't have to be a highly tuned 1911 trigger, but better than a Glock trigger. Would consider a DA/ SA if all other criteria was met.
  2. Close in size to a Glock 19/23.
  3. 9 mm.
  4. Polymer preferred, but not a must.
  5. If SA only, must have ambi or reversible safety as I'm a lefty.
  6. Would like to have ambi or reversible mag release, but could live without for the right gun.
  7. Low bore axis. Doesn't have to be Caracal low.
  8. $600 - $700.
  9. Have after market night sights, mags and holsters available. I don't need a huge selection like Glock, but some.
I know this is a LOT of criteria, and that my selection will be greatly limited if even possible.

I have fondled an FNX. While I'm sure it's a fine pistol, trying to work the controls in my hands was like a monkey doing the nasty to a football.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
cfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:01   #2
countrygun

Check the CZ lineup
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:09   #3
Dubble-Tapper

Just curious, what's wrong with your ppq?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Dubble-Tapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:18   #4
arclight610

Meets all criteria except for bore axis. However, I find the muzzle flip pretty negligible.

General Firearms Forum
arclight610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:09   #5
WayneJessie

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
Check the CZ lineup
I'd second that. The only gun I know of that I would ditch a PPQ for. No Glock or M&P is in the same ballpark with the PPQ IMO. I'd keep the PPQ and either layaway something else or buy it outright. But if you must sell your PPQ I may be interested.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:20   #6
cfr

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
Check the CZ lineup
Thanks. My understanding (which could be wrong) is that the ambi safety is not available on the Compacts?
Old 03-25-2013, 12:20   #7
cfr

Quote:
Originally Posted by arclight610 View Post
Meets all criteria except for bore axis. However, I find the muzzle flip pretty negligible.

General Firearms Forum
Which model is it? Ambi safety?
Old 03-25-2013, 12:28   #8
cfr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubble-Tapper View Post
Just curious, what's wrong with your ppq?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
You know, it's a great gun really. Perfect ergos and trigger. Love the looks, dead nuts accurate, etc.

I don't like:
  1. The bore axis. I think it's overblown on the internet really, but it's there.
  2. The mag release. I think it's overblown on the internet really, but it's there.
  3. How big the slide release is. Too easy to hold down, and the slide not lock back after the last round. I know I can adjust my grip for this, not sure I want to though. Will cut the slide release if I keep it. I think it's overblown on the internet really, but it's there.
One or two of these overblown items would be one thing, three of them is another.

As stated though, it's a great gun. I won't get rid of it unless I can find something good to replace it.

I also have brand new extra mags for it, so switching to a new M2 (and getting rid of objection number 2) isn't looking too appealing.

Last edited by cfr; 03-25-2013 at 12:51..
Old 03-25-2013, 13:07   #9
arclight610

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfr View Post
Which model is it? Ambi safety?
Sig SP2022, but all most Sigs are generally set up the same. It is DA/SA with no safety. The decocker is on the left side of the gun, but you only go to decock when the threat is over or you are going to reholster.
arclight610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 13:10   #10
cfr

Quote:
Originally Posted by arclight610 View Post
Sig SP2022, but all most Sigs are generally set up the same. It is DA/SA with no safety. The decocker is on the left side of the gun, but you only go to decock when the threat is over or you are going to reholster.
Will check it out, thanks.
Old 03-25-2013, 13:25   #11
WayneJessie

The PO1,PO6 are decockers. The steel compact is not ambi.
Old 03-25-2013, 13:26   #12
grumpy1

The bore axis on a PPQ is lower than a CZ or any hammer fired pistol that I am aware of not that I feel it is an issue anyhow. Try a different backstrap on your PPQ to how that works out for you. Also if you are not gripping your pistols properly that can make a big difference.

Take a look at the HK P30 or P30L. A little out of your price range but terrific pistol with great ergos and IMO well worth the extra investment.

Last edited by grumpy1; 03-25-2013 at 13:28..
grumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 13:38   #13
BuckyP
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
How big the slide release is. Too easy to hold down, and the slide not lock back after the last round. I know I can adjust my grip for this, not sure I want to though. Will cut the slide release if I keep it. I think it's overblown on the internet really, but it's there.
If this is an issue, than stay away from the Sigs. Slide release is far back and it's very common to hold the release down with a thumbs forward grip.

Aside from the Polymer (and of course the price ), sounds to me like a Springfield EMP might fit the bill.
BuckyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 13:40   #14
WayneJessie

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy1 View Post
The bore axis on a PPQ is lower than a CZ or any hammer fired pistol that I am aware of not that I feel it is an issue anyhow. Try a different backstrap on your PPQ to how that works out for you. Also if you are not gripping your pistols properly that can make a big difference.

Take a look at the HK P30 or P30L. A little out of your price range but terrific pistol with great ergos and IMO well worth the extra investment.
Nope.
Old 03-25-2013, 13:45   #15
cfr

Quote:
Ironically it wasn't until I read about the Q's muzzle flip that I began to question it. It's there compared to a Glock, but still overblown. But again it's not my only gripe.

Thinking further, I could swap it for an M2 (getting rid of objection 2), cut the slide release on the new M2 (getting rid of objection 3), and have a pistol that's damn near perfect. Hmmmm...

I simply can't take the risk of doing it now and then "hi capacity" mags becoming unavailable before I get them for the M2.

Thanks.

Last edited by cfr; 03-25-2013 at 13:53..
Old 03-25-2013, 13:57   #16
Nakanokalronin
JMB & MTK

Sounds like you want an M&P FS or M&P Compact.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Nakanokalronin; 03-25-2013 at 14:47.. Reason: Size
Nakanokalronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 14:19   #17
Pier23

Quote:
Considering swapping out my PPQ 9MM, the problem is I don't know what I'd swap it with.

Criteria:
  1. Decent SA trigger. Doesn't have to be a highly tuned 1911 trigger, but better than a Glock trigger. Would consider a DA/ SA if all other criteria was met.
  2. Close in size to a Glock 19/23.
  3. 9 mm.
  4. Polymer preferred, but not a must.
  5. If SA only, must have ambi or reversible safety as I'm a lefty.
  6. Would like to have ambi or reversible mag release, but could live without for the right gun.
  7. Low bore axis. Doesn't have to be Caracal low.
  8. $600 - $700.
  9. Have after market night sights, mags and holsters available. I don't need a huge selection like Glock, but some.
I know this is a LOT of criteria, and that my selection will be greatly limited if even possible.

I have fondled an FNX. While I'm sure it's a fine pistol, trying to work the controls in my hands was like a monkey doing the nasty to a football.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Look at the Steyr M series. There is an M9 and M40. Clever little frame safety idea....two fingers needed to engage,but then your trigger finger flips up a small lever at the top of the trigger guard, so it is always ambi-disengage.

Same size as Glock 23, polymer, striker, trapezoid sights are AMAZING. Not hugely popular, I got mine used, surfing at the LGS. No idea of MSRP.
Pier23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 14:24   #18
grumpy1

Quote:
Ironically it wasn't until I read about the Q's muzzle flip that I began to question it. It's there compared to a Glock, but still overblown. But again it's not my only gripe.

Thinking further, I could swap it for an M2 (getting rid of objection 2), cut the slide release on the new M2 (getting rid of objection 3), and have a pistol that's damn near perfect. Hmmmm...

I simply can't take the risk of doing it now and then "hi capacity" mags becoming unavailable before I get them for the M2.

Thanks.
Unless you have a state law limiting "hi capacity" magazines I can't see it happening at the federal level. But it makes sense to wait until "high capacity" magazines are actually readily available for the M2.

As far as the slide release. I trained myself to move my support hand thumb slightly away from the slide when I had that problem with my SP2022 so I never had that problem with my PPQ.

Unless you just don't shoot your PPQ well IMO you will regret selling it to get into another pistol in the price range you want unless it is the PPQ M2.

A M&P pistol with the Apex parts may come fairly close, from what I hear, but the M&P 9MM is noticeably longer than the PPQ and you stated you wanted a Glock 19 size pistol.

Last edited by grumpy1; 03-25-2013 at 14:26..
grumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 14:46   #19
cfr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pier23 View Post
Look at the Steyr M series. There is an M9 and M40. Clever little frame safety idea....two fingers needed to engage,but then your trigger finger flips up a small lever at the top of the trigger guard, so it is always ambi-disengage.

Same size as Glock 23, polymer, striker, trapezoid sights are AMAZING. Not hugely popular, I got mine used, surfing at the LGS. No idea of MSRP.
I hadn't considered this, thanks. As an FYI I went to their site, and theres a message about a recall. May want to see if your model is included.
Old 03-25-2013, 14:47   #20
cfr

Quote:
Unless you have a state law limiting "hi capacity" magazines I can't see it happening at the federal level. But it makes sense to wait until "high capacity" magazines are actually readily available for the M2.

As far as the slide release. I trained myself to move my support hand thumb slightly away from the slide when I had that problem with my SP2022 so I never had that problem with my PPQ.

Unless you just don't shoot your PPQ well IMO you will regret selling it to get into another pistol in the price range you want unless it is the PPQ M2.

A M&P pistol with the Apex parts may come fairly close, from what I hear, but the M&P 9MM is noticeably longer than the PPQ and you stated you wanted a Glock 19 size pistol.
All good points. I shoot it fine, and if anything may just swap for an M2.