Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:28   #1
chevydave

Low Left!

Bought a Glock 21 gen4 a few weeks back. I've taken it tothe range afew times and I love it. However, after about 200 rds I consistently (still) hit lowleft? Is there a break in time for these? I consider myself fairly proficientand I can hit center with my glock 27 but this 21 is driving me nuts? Any suggestions??

Thanks,
Old 03-24-2013, 07:37   #2
Bren
NRA Life Member

Before somebody tells you you need to send it back to Glock work on your grip and trigger control. The bigger grip means all your fingers are able to put more pressure on it than on the 27. That means the tightening of your lower fingers on your strong hand, as you tighten your trigger finger, throws off the shot to the low left - it is called "milking" and is one of the most common shooting problems. To minimize it, make sure you aren't pulling the trigger its full distance for every shot (hold it at the break/reset point) and work on your 70/30 or 60/40 grip.

Last edited by Bren; 03-24-2013 at 07:38..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:47   #3
chevydave

Thanks Bren. I'll give that a try? Yesterday at the range I adjusted my aim upper right and it shot right on center for me, so I'm a bit baffled. I've tried other 45's and I'm usually pretty close to center.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:08   #4
Soonerbldr

Have another friend shoot it or the range master just to make sure. I had a pistol that I had the same problem with so i handed it to a buddy and he holed out the center of the target.
Soonerbldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:10   #5
Bill Keith

Consider that the sights may be misaligned...it happens.
Bill Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:22   #6
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

I, also, very much doubt that your G-21 is at fault. (If the sights were misaligned you wouldn't be hitting BOTH low and left.) One of the biggest advantages to using a G-21 is the extra wide backstrap! The easiest way to avoid, 'milking the grip' is to teach yourself to maintain strong control of the high (or pressure) point on that backstrap. You can't milk the front of the grip IF you're already applying strong pressure at the rear.

The other problem you're having - and I KNOW you're doing it - is that there is too much tension along the tendons of your gun hand's upper forearm. Simple cure? (Slightly bend the elbow of your gun hand's arm.) Try this; I think you'll see what I mean.

Last edited by Arc Angel; 03-24-2013 at 09:51..
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:39   #7
CBennett

Probably you(not a slam on you) but dont dismiss it could be a sight issue to the gun ive had that before with the Glock 23 I had..I was shooting to the right(and SLIGHTLY low) when I had it shot from a friends rest(before i shipped it back..or had a smith work on it) it had a great group sighted in on the bull that...was STILL right and low..it was the sights..took off the stock ones put on Warren Tacticals...amazingly all of a sudden you could punch the center out....the gunsmith DID say when I got the gun back that the front sight was slightly lose and under recoil could have been moving around...But anyways I got the same deal..its you learn to shoot this time it wasnt me it was the sights amazingly I could shoot

And I have had guns I just could not shoot well and instead of messing with them much(as other people verified it was ME not the gun that was not on center) I just traded/sold them and moved on to others I could shoot well.

Last edited by CBennett; 03-24-2013 at 08:41..
CBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:53   #8
WiskyT
Malcontent

Anticipating recoil will also cause low left shooting. Dry fire and do ball and dummy shooting.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:03   #9
XshooterX

Hide some snap caps in the mag and see what you're doing. You might be surprised at the acrobatics that your muzzle is performing upon you pulling the trigger.
Again, there is a big difference between the two glocks that you're talking about. Also, there can be huge differences in triggers between glocks of the same model.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
XshooterX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:21   #10
oldman11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc Angel View Post
I, also, very much doubt that your G-21 is at fault. (If the sights were misaligned you wouldn't be hitting BOTH low and left.) One of the biggest advantages to using a G-21 is the extra wide backstrap! The easiest way to avoid, 'milking the grip' is to teach yourself to maintain strong control of the high (or pressure) point on that backstrap. You can't milk the front of the grip IF you're already applying strong pressure to the rear.

The other problem you're having - and I KNOW you're doing it - is that there is too much tension along the tendons of your gun hand's upper forearm. Simple cure? (Slightly bend the elbow of your gun hand's arm.) Try this; I think you'll see what I mean.
Bingo. You hit it right on the head.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:52   #11
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman11 View Post
Bingo. You hit it right on the head.
Straightens you right out, don't it!

Last edited by Arc Angel; 03-24-2013 at 09:53..
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:52   #12
buckeyeglock

I have used this earlier on in my shooting life and my great uncle had one similiar on a piece of paper that he referenced when he taught me to shoot.

http://www.bullseyepistol.com/training.htm

The 21 is a bigger grip as well, could take a bit to get used to it. I have a 19 and a 30 and you can definetly tell the difference in the 2.
buckeyeglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 13:04   #13
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc Angel View Post
I, also, very much doubt that your G-21 is at fault. (If the sights were misaligned you wouldn't be hitting BOTH low and left.) One of the biggest advantages to using a G-21 is the extra wide backstrap! The easiest way to avoid, 'milking the grip' is to teach yourself to maintain strong control of the high (or pressure) point on that backstrap. You can't milk the front of the grip IF you're already applying strong pressure at the rear.

Something that is often overlooked. We look at the hands but forget where they come from.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:15   #14
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keith View Post
Consider that the sights may be misaligned...it happens.
That is always possible, but I have owned and shot a lot of Glocks and shot with or instructed many more people with Glocks and I've never, ever seen it be a sight issue on factory sights. Always a grip/trigger issue, for nearly 25 years of Glock shooting. Even those who use sights to "correct" it are normally using them to compensate for a grip issue and the next shooter will end up hitting high and right with their "fixed" gun.

Last edited by Bren; 03-25-2013 at 05:16..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:21   #15
cesaros

I consistently shot low-left when I first purchased my G17.

I too thought my sights were off...Its easy to blame the tool instead of the individual

Took about 500 rounds to realize it was me...

After correcting my trigger pull, and grip, my shots are on target.

The pen IS mightier than the sword; but when you run out of ink, I will be ready with plenty of ammo.

Last edited by cesaros; 03-25-2013 at 05:23..
cesaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:16   #16
chevydave

Thanks for all the great tips! I'm going to have a friend put some rounds through it for me and see how he does. Problem is not enough range time andammo to figure it out, up till now anyway! Range time is covered now I just need ammo! lol

I’ll post back how I make out.Thanks again.

Last edited by chevydave; 03-25-2013 at 11:16..
chevydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:41   #17
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevydave View Post
Thanks Bren. I'll give that a try? Yesterday at the range I adjusted my aim upper right and it shot right on center for me, so I'm a bit baffled. I've tried other 45's and I'm usually pretty close to center.
Adjust the sight. Problem solved.
Old 03-25-2013, 20:57   #18
SouthpawG26

Decrease grip pressure strong hand, increase grip pressure weakhand. Switching to a bigger caliber sometimes causes recoil anticipation as others have stated. Double plug (earplugs and earmuffs).

Turning down the noise does a lot to lessen the body's subconscious recoil anticipation (flinching) reflexes.
Old 03-25-2013, 21:18   #19
Seriously?
U.S.A.F. Ret.

You didn't say what your weak hand is doing. Where is your index finger on the weak hand?
“The Proles had reverted to a lifestyle that suited them, heavy physical work, family, church, petty quarrels with neighbors, hunting and fishing, T.V., sports, beer and gambling filled up the limited horizon of their minds.”
― George Orwell
Seriously? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 21:46   #20
Paul53
Geezer Boomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seriously? View Post
You didn't say what your weak hand is doing. Where is your index finger on the weak hand?
THIS!

After shooting low left forever, I saw a utube video stressing the importance of the non dominant hand. Followed the advice and my bullets started going straight.