Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:57   #1
23LS1

Bad experience at LGS!

Well I went in to a local army/navy store that also sell firearms. Went in with a friend and she had a lot of questions for the owner and he was super nice and helpful. Then I asked about the AR's he had. I check out the Colt and DPMS. I told him I like the Colt a lot. I told him I bought a Bushmaster yesterday. He asked where I bought it. I told him Wal Mart and I said I think I did ok with price. Without asking how much I paid, he said no you got screwed. He said Walmart only gets refurbished AR's. I've done some research and don't think that's true. He also wouldn't sell me any 223 ammo and said it for his customers and that I need to support small business. I won't be going back.

His AR's were 400 or 500 more than most LGS around. Would like your take on this and the part about them being refurbished. Thank you for your input.
23LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:11   #2
Speleothem

Regardless of the product, I think "refurbished" has to be disclosed.
Speleothem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:15   #3
TK-421

I think it's a ****** thing of him to say, and you're right on for not shopping there. If an item is refurbished, I'm under the assumption that due to some law/lawsuit/whatever, they have to disclose that it's refurbished, but that's just a guess.

But with his high prices, maybe it's good that he didn't sell you any ammo, now you can find some at a good price.
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:46   #4
mixflip

I really hate those kinds of gun store owners/employees.

I had a guy tell me I could only buy ammo if I bought a gun. A month later I walked in and ask the same guy if I could buy a box of 38spl and he didnt even blink a eye and sold it to me.

I was like...WTF? Did the store policy change or was he just being a jerk the last time???

Last edited by mixflip; 03-24-2013 at 02:46..
mixflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:54   #5
23LS1

Thanks guys, I have looked and researched and don't find any sign of a refurb. Also took it down to my buddy's and he has a BM and two M&P 15's. He also said dude is full of crap. Picked up some 223 & 5.56 today and going to go test it out tomorrow. Can't wait to put some rounds thru it and get it dialed in.
23LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:10   #6
CLM Number 101
Monkeyboy

Hey, he's a small business owner, competing with a retail giant. What do you really expect?
I'd be pissed, too, if I were selling a Accord, and some guy walks into my store and brags about, "Hey, I bought a Camry yesterday, and I made out good, too".

Politicians and judges who voted for, and supported, Obamacare are traitors to the country!
Con, the first 3 letters in Congress.
UN, the first 2 letters in UNnecessary.
12131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:12   #7
daddysnapmuffins

The guy is either misinformed or a liar. If your goal is to save money I'm sure you did well. Remember that he is a salesman and his goal is ultimately to sell you his weapons.
daddysnapmuffins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:42   #8
OdinIII

Send a message via ICQ to OdinIII
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixflip View Post
I had a guy tell me I could only buy ammo if I bought a gun. A month later I walked in and ask the same guy if I could buy a box of 38spl and he didnt even blink a eye and sold it to me.
I know a guy who currently owns a gun store. Since ammo is so hard to get he is trying to keep back a small amount so people who buy a gun can get some ammo to go with it. Just a thought, it may not apply in your case.
OdinIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:55   #9
GlockRik

I wouldn't pay an extra $500 to anyone, but then I wouldn't be in his business telling the guy how badly I beat his price either.

really don't blame him for being a little miffed.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:25   #10
KSUGLocker

I work for the largest furniture retailer in the midwest (over $900m in annual sales). Our competition routinely tells potential customers that we sell factory seconds and closeouts. A complete lie. We're big enough (as is Walmart) that we don't have to rely on seconds or discontinued items to draw customers.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:38   #11
TJ Superfly

I wouldn't have mentioned I bought one elsewhere. What reaction would you expect from him in that situation?
TJ Superfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:41   #12
K. Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23LS1 View Post
Without asking how much I paid, he said no you got screwed. He said Walmart only gets refurbished AR's.

Wal Mart does not sell refurbished ARís. That guyís a tool. Everybody knows small businesses canít compete with big box stores, price wise. Itís not necessary for him to lie about it.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:03   #13
itstime

I would respectfully keep my mouth shut. No need for him to know about that. It just won't end good.

You said he was helpful and friendly to your friend. I would have kept it that way.
itstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:13   #14
frankmako

what a ass clown. wal mart guns are just as new as his.
frankmako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:14   #15
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

The guy is full of crap.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:28   #16
RigPig

The gunshop owner is a crooked liar. I've heard all sorts of tales about Wal-Mart guns. Fact is, WM can afford to buy guns by the truckload to distribute to their stores, while Mom and Pop gunshops can only afford to buy 2 or 3 of each model they carry. When you buy in bulk, you get first dibs and a lower price. I bought a Colt LE6920 at WM and one a couple months ago from a LGS. Same difference, only the WM gun was bought middle of last year, so it had the carry handle and 2 20rd steel mags, where as in '13 Colt sells them now with no carry handle, MBUS, and one PMAG. I don't think I'd set foot in the OPs LGS again.
RigPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:37   #17
zhix

Seems like a typical LGS owner/employee
zhix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:37   #18
OrangeJoe
Machetes & Guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12131 View Post
Hey, he's a small business owner, competing with a retail giant. What do you really expect?
I'd be pissed, too, if I were selling a Accord, and some guy walks into my store and brags about, "Hey, I bought a Camry yesterday, and I made out good, too".
I'm sure the business owner is now on smallbusinesstalk posting about the non customer that cut in while he was being helpful and dropped that pearl of wisdom.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
The Rimfire Club/Tactical Shotgun Club #5150
OrangeJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:51   #19
raven11

With a attitude like that he must not want your business
Old 03-24-2013, 10:50   #20
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven11 View Post
With a attitude like that he must not want your business
Of course when they lose their asses off, it's not their faults...

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire