SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:48   #1
FL Airedale
Dog Breath

Got a new dog

In less than a year our two senior dogs died. We usually keep 4 at a time.

Nigel is a 2 year old Airedale that was looking for a new home.

His first owner bought him as a pup because she wanted a fierce watchdog. He turned out to be a big teddy bear.

Add to that he was on a farm where he enjoyed harassing the cape buffalo. Yes, the owner raises African cape buffalo. He couldn't chase them because they don't run away. They fight back. Fortunately for Nigel, he wasn't stupid and didn't get gored.

She kept him on a chain for his own protection.

Between not being aggressive towards humans and harassing the very dangerous buffalo, Nigel was fired from his farm dog job.

His owner re-homed him once and the people brought him back. Airedales are often headstrong and some people can't deal with them.

He easily fit in with our pack, acknowledging alpha dog Lily as his queen, and he's in his new forever home.

Here is Nigel at his old home.

Woof Memorial Critter's Corner

As soon as I got him home, I trimmed the hair from around his eyes. He was a perfect gentleman.

After giving him 48 hours to get used to his new digs, the torture started. I gave him a bath and my wife used the clippers on him. He was good for that too. He weighs 70 pounds so I'm glad he didn't put up a fight!

Now he looks like the other Airedales, he's just a little bit bigger.

He's very gentle and well mannered. In fact, he's so good I took him to the vet to make sure he wasn't sick. $200 later I found out he has absolutely nothing wrong with him. We're happy to have him!
I used to be a people person but people ruined that for me.
FL Airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:20   #2
NMG26

Good looking dog.

He is fixed I guess?

Does he want to chase any of your animals? I see some horses in the background.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
NMG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 16:53   #3
FL Airedale
Dog Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMG26 View Post
Good looking dog.

He is fixed I guess?

Does he want to chase any of your animals? I see some horses in the background.
He is neutered. He doesn't chase the horses but he did dig under the fence to go visit them and the horses didn't mind.

The horses are very tolerant of dogs if they don't get aggressive. Our most dominant dog, Lily, was on the same side of the fence and tried to chase them once. It didn't go well for her. She narrowly missed getting kicked then she got chased under the porch. Now she keeps her distance.

The other dogs can walk right up to them and the horses don't care. They know Lily and will lay their ears back and warn her off if she gets too close. They carry a grudge.
Old 03-22-2013, 18:43   #4
silverfd

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Airedale View Post
He is neutered. He doesn't chase the horses but he did dig under the fence to go visit them and the horses didn't mind.

The horses are very tolerant of dogs if they don't get aggressive. Our most dominant dog, Lily, was on the same side of the fence and tried to chase them once. It didn't go well for her. She narrowly missed getting kicked then she got chased under the porch. Now she keeps her distance.

The other dogs can walk right up to them and the horses don't care. They know Lily and will lay their ears back and warn her off if she gets too close. They carry a grudge.

watch out for those horses. I once had to reconstruct a dog's jaw after it was broken by a horse which kicked it.
silverfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 16:00   #5
FL Airedale
Dog Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfd View Post
watch out for those horses. I once had to reconstruct a dog's jaw after it was broken by a horse which kicked it.
That's good advice!

Here in horse country, it's no secret that horses can be very dangerous. As gentle as these are, it's best not to forget it since something startling them can get you kicked or run over.

I was lucky to enough to get kicked, bitten and run over all before my 21st birthday. I was indestructible then. I learned my lesson and none of those things have happened since. I'm sure those things would land me in the emergency room at my current age.

My wife still rides nearly every day. I got to take her to the ER on a Valentine's day a couple of years ago. She got dumped on the ground and the mare stepped on her arm.

Another time she got a leg stepped on and had to have surgery. She also had to have surgery when a horse spooked while her hand was in the bridle. It severed a tendon.

The dogs have been far luckier! Or maybe they're just smarter.

My wife ordered an invisible fence the same day Nigel dug under the real fence a second time. He's going to get a few shocks learning not to do that. That stings but it's a lot less painful than getting kicked.

I'm not looking forward to it, but next week I'll be digging 1000 foot trench for the wire. Fortunately for me, it only needs to be a few inches deep.

Normally the dogs aren't able to get in with the horses. They have a few times, basically because my wife moved HER horses into the dog's yard without telling me. The dogs have enough sense not to get aggressive.

Last edited by FL Airedale; 03-23-2013 at 16:00..