Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-23-2013, 15:01   #1
countrygun

The new .45s at our place.

Well, it's been raining .45s lately around here.

General Firearms Forum

I had a hard time dealing with a rails on a 1911, then I had another leap to make thinking about and external extractor on one, but I decided to refer to it as a "kind of" 1911. I like it and can't wait for my little range to become a bit more "user friendly" weather-wise to give it a fair trial.

I finally got the Star PD I've chased for years. It to has an external extractor but I never thought of them as 1911's anyway. They are great gun but you have to work at owning and shooting one a bit. They have a certain "cult" status and deserve it. a groundbreaking gun in its day and worth getting involved in if you like small, light .45s. They are worth a good thread themselves.

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum

And here, to make a size comparison is the Star and the new XDs. I didn't take other pictures of the XDs because everyone has seen the pictures of them in other threads.

General Firearms Forum

The XDs is truly the new Star PD. it was too long between them IMO.

Sorry the pic s aren't "bac level". I am a pretty good photographer but I prefer outdoor backgrounds and light, and it's cold out there.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 15:24   #2
Wyoming

Send a message via Yahoo to Wyoming
The Star PD was a pistol that Jeff Cooper liked. I bought one back in the 70's and waited for someone to make an ambidextrous safety for it because I am left handed.

Never happed.

Sold it to a friend in the late 80's that still has it.

Rails on a 1911 doesn't seem right for guys are age. That is because we are used to seeing 1000's and 1000's of 1911's without rails. We will never get used to it either but I can see why there is a market for them.

The little XD has gotten my attention. Do tell me more.
Old 03-23-2013, 15:25   #3
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Ah, the old Star PD.

Last edited by fnfalman; 03-23-2013 at 15:26..
fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 16:02   #4
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyoming View Post
The Star PD was a pistol that Jeff Cooper liked. I bought one back in the 70's and waited for someone to make an ambidextrous safety for it because I am left handed.

Never happed.

Rails on a 1911 doesn't seem right for guys are age. That is because we are used to seeing 1000's and 1000's of 1911's without rails. We will never get used to it either but I can see why there is a market for them.

I think my objection to the rail probably comes from the fact that I have a peach crate of 1911 holsters that will fit any 1911 but one with a rail.

The XD is a hoot. I got to shoot it a bit before the weather went sour. Far more accurate than I expected. The recoils is easy, but it seems that folks can't grasp the fact that the .45 acp is a relatively low pressure round and that has a lot of effect on recoil.

I fond that out several decades ago, coincidentally, with the PD, a series 70 Colt, and a Colt 1917 revolver. A friend had 2 PDs and a Colt '70 and a S&W 1917. We took them all to the range and firing 1917s was a cakewalk, in the autos, (Maybe because of our burly physiques, cat quick reflexes, and eagle-like vision ) we actually felt the recoil of the PDs was easier to deal with than the full sized steel 1911s. We attributed this to less mass in the slide slamming back and forth. I have some heavier than stock springs on the way to accompany the new shock buffers for the PD. I want to see if I still notice the difference.

I say that because that is what the XDs reminds me of. There isn't a heavy slide slamming to a halt to turn around and slam forward. I think a lot of the people waiting for the 9mm & .40 XDs are going to be surprised when 35,000 psi goes off in that package. Rather like comparing a 2" .357 "J" frame to the Charter Bulldog .44 special. The low pressure bigger rounds are easier in the small guns, be it an auto ot revolver.

My first Semi casual group with the XDs, fired with a "yah,sure" attitude, put the entire mag in the 3"black of that particular target at 10 yards. That was as much distance as I could get on my range without waterproof boots and it started to rain so I chose discretion to misery.

I'm pretty sure it won't compete with one of our Kimbers but I don't expect it to.
Old 03-23-2013, 16:10   #5
Berto
woo woo

THe PD was definitely ahead of it's time. I like that new XDs, too.
I was in the house when the house burned down.
Berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 16:14   #6
nathanours
Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyoming View Post

Never happed.

Hey, I'm 23 and don't like how a rail ruins the clean lines of a good 1911. Then again I'm not a fan of front slide serrations either.

Nice guns, I could see how from a purely tool point of view the rail could be useful. My 1911 is mostly a range only gun though. I've got others for home defense and carrying.

Black Rifle Club #1989
nathanours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 18:31   #7
WayneJessie

Are parts for Star pistols commonly avalible?
Old 03-23-2013, 18:39   #8
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneJessie View Post
Are parts for Star pistols commonly avalible?
No, not really in general. There are some around. There re also some of the B, BM,BKM 9mms coming in from Israel and parts are more available for them. I was bidding on one at auction and got distracted when I found this PD with a way low "BIN"

The only real issues for the PD are firing pins (Too much dryfire without a snap cap), mags, and the recoil buffers. Older PD's can use the Wilson Shock-buff just like the original buffers. (I think Wilson himself said he got the idea from the PD) Later models can to with a simple spacer. But the buffers are a requirement. The Wilsons are about $5.00 for a 6-pack and will go from 500-1,000rds depending on loads and recoil spring.
Old 03-23-2013, 19:18   #9
bac1023

Very nice, my friend

I love Star pistols. I think they were the best of the Spanish handguns back in the day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 19:32   #10
ilgunguygt
Enslaved in IL

It took me awhile to come to grips with an external extractor on a 1911 and the non traditional slide lines of my sig1911. The more I shoot it though, the more I love it.
Old 03-23-2013, 19:35   #11
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
Very nice, my friend

I love Star pistols. I think they were the best of the Spanish handguns back in the day.
Thank you.

I am looking forward to the 28 PK arriving this next week.

Another unique design in its own way
Old 03-23-2013, 19:37   #12
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilgunguygt View Post
It took me awhile to come to grips with an external extractor on a 1911 and the non traditional slide lines of my sig1911. The more I shoot it though, the more I love it.
I can see how it will probably grow on me. Now the flat straight trigger .....it might go down the road.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:31   #13
elde
Lifetime Membership

After 4 years of searching I was able to pick up a nice PD a month or so ago. Condition is about 98% and it came with 5 mags - 3 of which are in the original packages. I love these suckers and have collected a few over the years.

However, the purpose of this post is to inform of a gentleman who makes exact copies of the Star buffers at a very reasonable price. He can be reached at the following address:

jim-dawg@comcast.net

He responds and ships fast & I've never had an issue with the product. Highly recommended for PD-ophiles.
elde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:38   #14
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by elde View Post
After 4 years of searching I was able to pick up a nice PD a month or so ago. Condition is about 98% and it came with 5 mags - 3 of which are in the original packages. I love these suckers and have collected a few over the years.

However, the purpose of this post is to inform of a gentleman who makes exact copies of the Star buffers at a very reasonable price. He can be reached at the following address:

jim-dawg@comcast.net

He responds and ships fast & I've never had an issue with the product. Highly recommended for PD-ophiles.
I've seen his name all over the place and he has gotten good reviews. I would need to contact him and see if they are for the second model recoil system or the more scarce first model.

There is a thread on making the second model buffers from a Wilson with a filler somewhere on the net. There are pictures of it if you Google "Star PD images"
Old 03-24-2013, 16:48   #15
glock2740
Gun lover.

Congrats! I liked the Scorpion when I was looking for a railed 1911, but found a great deal on the Tac Ops first. I'm getting to like my XDs the more I shoot it. And a Star M40 was one of my first handguns. Star's were really well made guns, especially for the money.
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 17:12   #16
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock2740 View Post
Congrats! I liked the Scorpion when I was looking for a railed 1911, but found a great deal on the Tac Ops first. I'm getting to like my XDs the more I shoot it. And a Star M40 was one of my first handguns. Star's were really well made guns, especially for the money.
Thanks.

The Stars were underrated pistols and it is rather sad that the PD was the first real recognition they got in the US.

I was looking at an M-40 for my wife since she thought they were "better looking" than the BM model I wanted. Then the PD showed up and well...

The Scorpion, for me, is sort of a nod to the fact that the basic 1911 design evolves.
Old 03-24-2013, 22:43   #17
skeeter7
Brass Vulture

Congrats!
NECC #401
skeeter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:07   #18
Gary1911A1

I thought Wilson got the concept of a recoil buffer from Swenson, but I could be wrong. I had a PD I purchased after Col. Cooper wrote it up in Guns&Ammo, but the tang on it bite me with my high thumb grip. Other than that it didn't fail me.
Gary1911A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:17   #19
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary1911A1 View Post
I thought Wilson got the concept of a recoil buffer from Swenson, but I could be wrong. I had a PD I purchased after Col. Cooper wrote it up in Guns&Ammo, but the tang on it bite me with my high thumb grip. Other than that it didn't fail me.
It could have come from Armand Swenson, a lot of good ideas did, I just can't seem to recall which came first. I was looking at some Detonics the other day and wondering if they used one since I know they date from about the same time as the PD I THINK they were just a hair later, I recall them in '77 but the PD was IIRC introduced in 75. If Swenson used them I will bet it was pre-'75. He pretty much had his system down by then. I have got to dig out my copy of Nonte's "Pistolsmithing" and see if he mentions buffers.