SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:08   #1
fitz4609
Platinum Membership

slide lock back problem

I have a used Gen 3 Model 17 that feeds and fires properly.
Ejection of spent rds is OK as well.

However, the slide does not remain locked back with the mag removed. It will slam forward when handled or even set down on carpet gently.
Anyone with thoughts on the most common cause and recommendations on repair?

Thanks
Old 05-15-2013, 10:55   #2
ninjag19

Must have something to do with the slide stop obviously. Probably the spring is weak, missing or reinstalled improperly.
ninjag19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:01   #3
fitz4609
Platinum Membership

slide stop spring

I looked on Glockmeister and the slide lock stop, spring and slide release are inexpensive. I have no formal training in this area. Should I find a local armorer in the Houston area?
Thanks
Old 05-15-2013, 11:18   #4
bentbiker
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjag19 View Post
Must have something to do with the slide stop obviously. Probably the spring is weak, missing or reinstalled improperly.
With the magazine removed, the spring on the slide stop lever is trying to pull the stop down and release the slide. The spring on the slide stop is not the issue for this problem.

OP, you should look at the interface between the slide stop and the slide. Check whether the notch in the slide itself is worn in such a way as to either NOT allow the stop to rise up all the way (when forced up by the mag follower), or whether it is rounded off in such a way that it can fall down out of the notch even with the force of the RSA trying to hold it up by friction. There should be an ever-so-slight rearward angle to the notch as you move upward into the slide. It's possible, I guess, that the stop lever itself has become so polished with use that it slides more easily down the face of the notch, and a new lever might alleviate the problem. Or, you might try to rough up the surface of the lever where it catches on the slide notch. I'd suggest a light touch to the notch with a file, but that might remove enough of the Tenifer treated metal to introduce corrosion. This is the precise reason I seldom use the slide stop lever as a slide release -- I've always feared causing this problem.

Last edited by bentbiker; 05-15-2013 at 12:23..
bentbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:25   #5
RayB
Retired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitz4609 View Post
I have a used Gen 3 Model 17 that feeds and fires properly.
Ejection of spent rds is OK as well.

However, the slide does not remain locked back with the mag removed. It will slam forward when handled or even set down on carpet gently.
Anyone with thoughts on the most common cause and recommendations on repair?

Thanks

None of this stuff is too difficult to DIY, if you pay attention to details. The Glock Armorer's Tool is a good investment, but you can make do with a similar tool, if need be.

Here's a good video (to the right of the $17.99 price) on how to properly install the Slide Stop Lever, so you can see if yours is installed properly:

http://www.glockstore.com/glock-exte...ide-stop-lever

It's important that the spring, which sort of hinges around the #2 Trigger Pin, rests properly against the bottom of the #3 Locking Block Pin. If this is done improperly, you'll have problems like you're describing here...

The fix, of course, is to relocate the spring beneath the #3 Locking Block Pin.

--Ray

Last edited by RayB; 05-28-2013 at 04:47..
RayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:49   #6
bentbiker
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayB View Post
It's important that the spring, which sort of hinges around the #2 Trigger Pin, rests properly against the bottom of the #3 Locking Block Pin. If this is done improperly, you'll have problems like you're describing here...
I agree with everything you say . . . except . . . the red part about the spring causing premature RELEASE. Incorrect installation or a broken spring can cause premature lock-back, but not accidental release.
bentbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 13:03   #7
GRT45
Transform & Win

bentbiker has it right. The OP's issue with the G17 is not caused by a weak or damaged slide stop lever spring or improperly installed slide stop lever. See Post #4 for where to look.

Either the slide stop lever is worn/damaged or the slide stop lever notch is worn. Hopefully, it's the former. If replacing the slide stop lever doesn't fix the problem, Glock, Inc. suggests the owner contact the Warranty Department.

Last edited by GRT45; 05-15-2013 at 15:57..
GRT45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 13:24   #8
kodiakpb

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayB View Post

Here's a good video (to the right of the $17.99 price) on how to properly install the Slide Stop Lever, so you can see if yours is installed properly:

http://www.glockstore.com/glock-exte...ide-stop-lever

--Ray
There is no need to be a gorilla and use a hammer to remove the trigger pin.
kodiakpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 15:37   #9
RayB
Retired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentbiker View Post
I agree with everything you say . . . except . . . the red part about the spring causing premature RELEASE. Incorrect installation or a broken spring can cause premature lock-back, but not accidental release.

But I provided a way-cool exploded view of a G17!

--Ray
Old 05-15-2013, 15:38   #10
RayB
Retired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiakpb View Post

Tell Lenny! It's his video!

--Ray
Old 05-15-2013, 20:14   #11
RPVG

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiakpb View Post
Right! You should be able to push all the pins out with a Glock tool or a pin punch.
Old 05-15-2013, 23:16   #12
RayB
Retired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPVG View Post
Right! You should be able to push all the pins out with a Glock tool or a pin punch.

Of course.

I think if you watch all his videos, Lenny will reveal that he sells that nifty armorer's kit, with multiple punches and hammers...

For myself, I've done all I've ever needed with the Glock Tool, a padded vice, a non-marring punch, a front sight tool, a small triangular file, Loctite, and a small crescent wrench (tape-wrapped to hold the front sight blade while I tighten the nut).

I do have the Glock Video and the Illustrated Armorerís Mat too...

To date, I've had zero problems with anything I've attempted, and the results look first-rate. In fact, I've had to reinstall every front sight my gun shop's put on for me (and mine actually stay put), so I'm inclined to do any work myself.

--Ray
Old 05-16-2013, 11:10   #13
fitz4609
Platinum Membership

slide lock issue

Thanks for the replies. I plan to get a new slide stop lever and Glock tool.
I like the repair kit that Ray has and plan to get the video and some tools. I know better and should have already had them on hand. Again, Many Thanks to all.