GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-27-2013, 16:03   #276
furioso2112

I am concerned. I have always been concerned. I have a particular threshold, based on first-hand experience, of whom I feel safe shooting around. Formal training (certain types of classes) is not necessarily the key, but is often a great way to develop good habits. In my concealed carry class 10 years or so ago, I saw a several guys show up with new guns some of which had never shot any gun before - I was edge all day because of the handling mistakes I saw that day.

Last weekend, I was at the NRA range in Fairfax. There were at least 8 new shooters (by conversations overheard while waiting for a lane), and likely many more than that. A friend I was shooting with commented a couple times that day that he would challenge anybody to create a stereotype of any kind based on observable likely demographics. We saw a dozen people of different ethnic backgrounds, male and female, families, young and old, well-dressed (Sunday after church), hip-dressed, camo-dressed, outgoing, shy, eager, nervous, confident, lacking confidence, you name it. It was overall comforting; we also listened to a 60-ish instructor mentoring a prospective trainee. I developed confidence in the safety of the environment.

I offered the range masters control over questions I knew the answers to, and they thanked me profusely and, after watching our range behavior, gave us less looks than many others on the range (too long to explain the details).

bottom line, I am concerned, but no more than I have always been. My concern is that people will make poor, potentially lives-changing mistakes for lack of proper knowledge or overconfidence about firearms. The most recent change is that there is more attention and awareness given to new shooters, a positive outcome of increased scrutiny on gun culture. I guess there are more new shooters recently, by percentage, than at many other times in US history, but I don't know that. I also guess that there is greater access and encouragement to get good training from a 'professional' than at many other times in US history. I don't intend that non-professionals (friends, parents, grandparents) do not do good training, but a relatively recent decrease in shooting sports participants has been a reversing trend for a decade or so at least.
Old 03-27-2013, 16:21   #277
PhotoFeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ's Guns View Post
Were you not just whining and crying, in post #254, supra, about how unfairly you are treated and how mean some people are to you (you poor boy, we do feel sorry for you) stating “You guys love to paste labels on folks who disagree with your extreme thinking. In this thread I've been called a Libtard, an Obama supporter, asupporter of background checks and registration.”And, low and behold, what happens but Whoflungdo (post # 256, supra) finds a quote from you evidencing that you do, indeed, support background checks. You try to cover your ass by attempting to differentiate your position by stating “I opined that a background check for sales between non-family members would be "reasonable”, but we all know that the overwhelming majority of firearms transactions are “between non-family members”, so you are not fooling anyone.

How was your quote, as cited by Whoflungdo, an excerpt taken "out of context"

You have to hold the record, on this forum, of complaining the most, whining and crying and wringing your hands, the most and whaling and lamenting, the most, about your harsh and unjustified treatment by other forum members. You must have led a very shelter life to feel so abused, by what amounts to nothing. It is disgusting, really.

RJ

The post you refer to is a fact, and I own up to it. It was in a poll on background checks. Whoflungdo didn't take it out of context. Nothing more I can say except the words are what they are. At that time I said it would be reasonable for sales between non-family members; make of that whatever you like. Call me disingenuous or worse. Its a 'gotcha moment', so enjoy it to the max. I offered an apology in an earlier post.

I have never, ever, supported gun registration, so don't try to extend my statement about background checks to include registration.

You claim I'm the record holder for whining and hand wringing. If thats a fact, then I'll live with the stigma. Your words change nothing about my participation here at GT, if thats what you're hoping for.

Thanks for the psychoanalysis. Thats two free explanations for my behavior this week!

Last edited by PhotoFeller; 03-27-2013 at 19:59..
PhotoFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 16:39   #278
platoonDaddy

dang, are we a bunch of wussies (actually start this word with a 'P')?

Who taught anyone of us to make made passionate love? (!)

Dang, I am glad the curtain of life is approaching the end for this old man. Just toooooooooooooooooooo many wussies!

May you all rest in peace!

OUT
platoonDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 17:48   #279
whoflungdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoFeller View Post
You are right, and I was wrong. I did participate in a poll thread on background checks and commented that checks would be reasonable for non-family transactions. While I had forgotten about the background check statements, the fact remains that I made the comments.

If it appears I have been disingenuous on this point, I probably have. For that I owe you guys an apology.

In recent weeks I have responded to a couple of phone surveys by saying I oppose background checks. Nevertheless, my post was what it was.
We will continue to disagree on several issues it appears. However, You did man up and admit you were wrong. For that, I salute you. Most others I've argued with would abandon a thread where their error was pointed out and start flinging poo in another or new thread. You have separated yourself from them.

GTDS Certified Member #9
whoflungdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 21:05   #280
ChiTownPicaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Glock View Post
Okay now...I would very much like it if you could provide a link or the actual text where I said I was going to get him registered as mentally unstable...lets start there and see what you come up with because you seem to have an unfortunate habit of making things up to suit yourself at the expense of the other person. He's my ex, I have no desire to have any contact with him, let alone get the "gub'mint" involved. Like I said, I don't cater to liers and baiters, so show the proof or recend your lies.
Acutally you suggested that the gub'mint should do it if you read it another way, probably why I misread it. But I still ask why should the gub'mint decide who is unstable? Why would you want someone to lose their freedoms? You seem to support the idea that big gub'mint should have the ability to casually take the rights of someone away. Why?
ChiTownPicaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 21:44   #281
JRSP

It's responsibility in the long run. I agree too, it concerns me. I've been at the range while senior citizens are walking around scanning people with their 1911's... It's not an age thing but you would be surprised how many "experienced" gun owners are really irresponsible. I've witnessed a couple of older gents who thought to use only the front sight. IMO, those who are mechanically declined shouldn't operate firearms. These are the type of people who try to assemble things without reading the manual and can't change their own oil. If they can't do either of those, are they properly maintaining their weapons? I'm always telling people to take their finger off the trigger. People follow too many bad examples from action movies or just take bad advice seriously...

I mean Joe Biden did tell Americans to go outside and blast a couple of shotgun rounds in the air to scare away intruders... I've met a guy who voted for Obama and didn't know who Joe Biden is...
JRSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 22:12   #282
BobbyS
You Talkin ToMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by platoonDaddy View Post
dang, are we a bunch of wussies (actually start this word with a 'P')?

Who taught anyone of us to make made passionate love? (!)

Dang, I am glad the curtain of life is approaching the end for this old man. Just toooooooooooooooooooo many wussies!

May you all rest in peace!

OUT

LOL. Tim, take a look at that hound. Now that's the best coon dog I ever seen or heard about, and I didn't teach him a damn thing.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:45   #283
Lady Glock

Send a message via ICQ to Lady Glock
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownPicaro View Post
Acutally you suggested that the gub'mint should do it if you read it another way, probably why I misread it. But I still ask why should the gub'mint decide who is unstable? Why would you want someone to lose their freedoms? You seem to support the idea that big gub'mint should have the ability to casually take the rights of someone away. Why?
Please give links and direct quotes where I have advocated on the side of "gub'mint" (come on, really? Is "government" really that hard to spell out?) It was a personal choice I made after hearing his lies and stories. He is more than welcome to get a gun anytime he wants (now that he and I are not together). He never even tried to get one or mentioned that he wanted one while we were together, I was treated to stories about him and his father "clearin out the druggies on our block while walkin down the street with our rifles slung across our shoulders".

Trust in God...Everyone else keep your hands where I can see them!
Lady Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:23   #284
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Everyone was a new gun owner at one time. It is up to the new gun owner to learn to be responsible just as we all did. Not much else we can do. No point in worrying about what someone else will or won't do with his own life.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:00   #285
Rupert

New gun owners dont have any experience with firearms? More like half of ALL gun owners.
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:08   #286
CigarandScotch
Fartacus

It concerns me. I recently introduced a friend to shooting, and soon after had misgivings about it. I had no idea (until it was too late) how unsafe and irresponsible his behavior around firearms would be. He's getting better from what I hear, but I choose not to go shooting with him. Ever.

And I figure this isn't an isolated case; there are plenty more like him.
Old 03-28-2013, 16:07   #287
BannerTactical

At work we have recently had a few employees suddenly get interested in guns. In each case they are learning all they can about guns and have asked questions of the known gun guys at work. Their enthusiasm has included a healthy respect for the devastating consequences of mishandling firearms and they have specifically asked about how best to teach their kids about gun safety. I find that attitude encouraging.
BannerTactical is offline   Reply With Quote