SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-27-2013, 17:37   #1
frank4570
Feral human

I'm cooking my rocks.

I've been working on learning flint knapping for a while now. That is the process of chipping stones in a certain way that makes then sharp, and working them into arrowheads or spear points, knives, or whatever. I'm still not very good at it, but I have made some points that are good enough for me to shoot at squirrels next hunting season. I'll attach them to some hazelwood shafts I collected earlier this year.
Well, I just got in some novaculite in the mail. It's a stone from out west. When I tried to work it, it was a bit too crumbly. But novaculite responds very well to heat treating. It needs to be heated to about 700 degrees for a number of hours.
I put some in the woodstove under a pile of ashes for about 20 hours, and presto, very good stone. I cut myself trying to see how sharp it is. That's a good sign.
So now I have a lot more of the stuff in the stove baking. It should be ready tomorrow about this time.
We don't have any stone in my area of the country worth working with.

The Okie Corral

The first is one made by my friend/instructor. The others are me learning the skill. The last one is the cooked stone.

For too long people have said "screw NY, IL, etc" or "that'll never happen here." Yes, it will eventually. If we dont start standing up together now, it will never stop.-ilgunguygt

Last edited by frank4570; 03-27-2013 at 18:11..
frank4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 17:38   #2
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Interesting skill, and I'd like to learn it someday.
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 20:31   #3
frank4570
Feral human

It takes a lot of time to learn. A lot more than I would have originally thought.

For too long people have said "screw NY, IL, etc" or "that'll never happen here." Yes, it will eventually. If we dont start standing up together now, it will never stop.-ilgunguygt
Old 03-27-2013, 20:53   #4
Foxterriermom

Removed

Last edited by Foxterriermom; 03-27-2013 at 20:59..
Foxterriermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 21:03   #5
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank4570 View Post
I've been working on learning flint knapping for a while now.
Why?

Do you plan on using these heads or...?
Old 03-27-2013, 21:13   #6
frank4570
Feral human

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
Why?

Do you plan on using these heads or...?
I'll definitely use them for hunting squirrels and groundhogs, maybe geese and turkey. Not legal in this state to use stone points on deer.

Old 03-27-2013, 22:09   #7
m2hmghb

Let me guess it's a repetitive task that allows you to relax and work on it without thinking about it, right?

It's a pretty cool thing to do, and handy in a survival situation. Les did it on one of his shows, made some traps with flint he knapped IIRC. It's also handy to know if you shoot a flitlock musket.

The M1 Garand rifle is the best battle implement ever devised by man.

Last edited by m2hmghb; 03-27-2013 at 22:10..
m2hmghb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 22:18   #8
skeeter7
Brass Vulture

Looks like a cool hobby to me. Like the post above, looks like something you can just spend some time at a bench doing when nothing else is going on.
NECC #401
skeeter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 22:20   #9
frank4570
Feral human

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2hmghb View Post
Let me guess it's a repetitive task that allows you to relax and work on it without thinking about it, right?
Actually, very much of it is not. The flakes only come off under certain conditions, only a certain way. And so, making it come out the way you want is like playing chess. If you want to remove a flake, it will probably require removing a bunch of other flakes to set up the platform and ridge to be in the right place.
And then it may work right, or I may have to change the plan. Get too aggressive and the whole rock will break into pieces with 1 strike. I ruined a piece yesterday that way.
This planning part of the process is what I am struggling with right now.

Old 03-27-2013, 22:37   #10
Zer0

Those aren't bad. My dad always described it as "controlled breaking". And really that's all it is, much the same way shooting a gun and reloading is a controlled explosion. What type of points are you trying to make? And what material you working with?
Zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 22:41   #11
goldenlight

Quote:
Actually, very much of it is not. The flakes only come off under certain conditions, only a certain way. And so, making it come out the way you want is like playing chess. If you want to remove a flake, it will probably require removing a bunch of other flakes to set up the platform and ridge to be in the right place.
And then it may work right, or I may have to change the plan. Get too aggressive and the whole rock will break into pieces with 1 strike. I ruined a piece yesterday that way.
Yes, it's a real skill, that can take years to get really good at. I think doing this is just way cool, especially as you will use the points for hunting, and not just to collect them, as I would.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:24   #12
frank4570
Feral human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 View Post
Those aren't bad. My dad always described it as "controlled breaking". And really that's all it is, much the same way shooting a gun and reloading is a controlled explosion. What type of points are you trying to make? And what material you working with?
I've got a batch of novaculite I am baking right now. I plan to learn on most of that. Then I have a bunch of black obsdian which I hope to make into hunting points.

I guess I'm just going to try to imitate the first point in the picture, that my friend made. I haven't thought about it or studied it. I'm interested in functionality and the first point looks like it would be durable, penetrate well, and secure down to the stick very solidly. Thinner or wider and I would think the odds would go up of the stone breaking or coming loose.
I'll know more after I have wrecked a few shooting them at squirrels.

I just burned my fingers taking rocks out of the stove. Out of the 7 I put in there the one most exposed to the heat blew up. I lost a rock, but that's how I learn. Next will be a batch of 4, one in each corner of the stove under ashes. It will be a little more gentle, and I'll cook them a bit longer.

Last edited by frank4570; 03-28-2013 at 06:29..
Old 03-28-2013, 06:32   #13
airmotive
Tin Kicker

Neanderthal Reloader.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:50   #14
Rabid Rabbit

Heat treating rocks. Never would have thought of that.
Rabid Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:42   #15
frank4570
Feral human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Rabbit View Post
Heat treating rocks. Never would have thought of that.
It's weird. It takes a rock that is kind of (a little) sandy and crumbly, and makes it more like a piece of glass that chips off nice long sharp flakes.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:35   #16
m2hmghb

Ahh so it's something you have to concentrate on and block out other things from interfering. Maybe I'll have to try it. It sure is interesting, and i've always been interested in period methods for doing things.

The M1 Garand rifle is the best battle implement ever devised by man.
m2hmghb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:42   #17
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Sounds like a good way of exercising your mind.
Old 03-28-2013, 16:08   #18
mac66
Plant the seed

I went to Flint, Michigan. Despite my best efforts I couldn't find any flint. That is disappointing since I needed some for my flint lock musket.
Old 03-28-2013, 16:35   #19
frank4570
Feral human

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
Sounds like a good way of exercising your mind.
Aw jeez man, now you made it sound like work.