GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:04   #101
Rich22

I will just throw my useless opinion in here for the helluvit. Was in the same position about a year ago. Single stage was out of the question for production, SDB was out of the question because I wanted to do rifle. 550 was out because I wanted auto indexing. That essentially left me with the LNL,650 and 1050. I did not initially want a casefeeder, due to this I went with the LNL for ergonomics, I have honestly not had a problem with the press except for occassionally throwing powder on very full cases with unique and the powder measure also not liking unique. That said, If I was going to do casefeeder, I have just about no doubt I would have gone 650. Not using the 650 I do not know how much of a PITA it is to change calibers but the LNL is a piece of cake which considering I only load 2 calibers is not that big a deal to me but still nice. I like the press quite a bit and 99% of my problems have been issues with dies or issues with technique.
Rich22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:17   #102
jmorris

Quote:
If I own a LCT I know I need at least 1.5 hours to get it done. That is just too long for me.
If I own a 550 or LnL (no case feeder) it will take me 30 mins to get it done. That is going at a safe slower pace for me.
If I own a 650 (with casefeeder) it will take me about 18 mins.
If I own a LnL with a case feeder it would take me about 25 mins but it will be a hassle and annoying.
If you owned a PLC controlled 1050 you can get it done while you feed the kiddo breakfast, with two trips back to the room to fill everything up and start the primer tube filler.
jmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:29   #103
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich22 View Post
I will just throw my useless opinion in here for the helluvit. Was in the same position about a year ago. Single stage was out of the question for production, SDB was out of the question because I wanted to do rifle. 550 was out because I wanted auto indexing. That essentially left me with the LNL,650 and 1050. I did not initially want a casefeeder, due to this I went with the LNL for ergonomics, I have honestly not had a problem with the press except for occassionally throwing powder on very full cases with unique and the powder measure also not liking unique. That said, If I was going to do casefeeder, I have just about no doubt I would have gone 650. Not using the 650 I do not know how much of a PITA it is to change calibers but the LNL is a piece of cake which considering I only load 2 calibers is not that big a deal to me but still nice. I like the press quite a bit and 99% of my problems have been issues with dies or issues with technique.
Auto indexing is way overrated. You did what a lot of people do. "I need auto indexing" and they simply do not. That is the downfall of the internet, over research group. They start thinking they "need it" so they buy based on one feature not the important question. "How much ammo do I need to make and how fast?" 80% of the world would be best served with a 550.
Old 03-26-2013, 17:30   #104
shotgunred
reloading nut

That is certainly true in my case. the 550 was already doing the job. I just wanted the 650. A half hour a day with the 550 would net you around

250 rounds a Day
1250 rounds a Week
5625 rounds a Month
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 18:47   #105
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunred View Post
That is certainly true in my case. the 550 was already doing the job. I just wanted the 650. A half hour a day with the 550 would net you around

250 rounds a Day
1250 rounds a Week
5625 rounds a Month
Me too/ I loaded for 25yrs on a 550, then a pair of 550B. I sold one & bought a 650 just because. I ran it for 3m w/o a case feeder, It wasn't any faster than my 550, about 400rds/hr sustained but not in a hurry. Add the case feeder & the 650 flies, 700rs/hr sustained is easy, 850/hr in a 100rd burst. The LNL w/ a case feeder can be made to run well, but not even close to the 650 IMO. Very few of us need a 650 w/ case feeder, I do not, but need & want are not always related. The better machine lets you go fast or slow, lesser gear has slow & slower speeds.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 03-26-2013 at 18:48..
fredj338 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 20:15   #106
FiremanMike
Way too busy

This conversation is now moot. My friend has a currenty unused Dillon 450 which was "upgraded to a 550" (not exactly sure what that means, he said the die plate is fixed but other parts were upgraded) and 4 die changes with some other stuff for $200.

Looks like I'll be blue.
FiremanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 20:21   #107
PCJim

Congrats on the decision. Your friend has done you a BIG favor, as the equipment could easily have brought him double that amount. You won't regret the decision, and in a few month's time, will better appreciate the comments you've received in this thread.
PCJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 21:38   #108
Colorado4Wheel

That is a great deal. Let us know if you need any help.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:22   #109
sellersm
disciplinare

Nice! Congrats and be sure to buy your friend a drink or two to say "thanks"!

Prosecute criminals, not guns!
sellersm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:08   #110
jmorris

If you get some locking single split set collar style die nuts it will still be pretty easy to change calibers and keep your settings. The set screw style also work but can mess up the threads on the die.
Old 03-27-2013, 15:33   #111
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
If you get some locking single split set collar style die nuts it will still be pretty easy to change calibers and keep your settings. The set screw style also work but can mess up the threads on the die.
Do they fit on that machine? I got some for my lyman turret so I could change out my 45acp dies easily without worrying about the Lee rings slipping. They are a lrch bigger on the OD and bind on the center nut for the turret head. I managed to get them to work, but I have to kind of force them past where the screw head stands proud on the lock nut.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 16:11   #112
jmorris

Quote:
Will they fit
That I don't know. I have some with hex nuts and brass set screws that would and have different tool heads for my 550. If I had a need for some and couldn't buy any that worked, I would just make them.

In a pinch one could always just double nut them with the Dillon nuts and they would keep position that way too.

Last edited by jmorris; 03-27-2013 at 16:12..
Old 03-27-2013, 20:58   #113
F106 Fan

Some people use lead shot between the setscrew and the threads.

Since not everyone loads for shotgun, maybe one way to get a chunk of lead is to cut up a bullet. I haven't tried this.

Richard

Last edited by F106 Fan; 03-28-2013 at 07:35..
F106 Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:27   #114
PCJim

The critical settings will be stages 2 & 3. That is where you will want to have a lock ring on the die if you don't have/use dedicated toolheads. Station 1 will always be an easy adjustment - raise the shellplate and screw the die until it won't go further.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:26   #115
jmorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCJim View Post
Station 1 will always be an easy adjustment - raise the shellplate and screw the die until it won't go further.
You would ruin a lot of cases with that method with some of the dies I have. Might work fine on straight wall cases but not the best plan for bottle neck rounds.

Some will be in spec before the die contacts the shell plate and on some, like my 458 socom dies, I have had to turn off part of the die because it was not sizing enough even after contacting the shell plate.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:30   #116
Colorado4Wheel

OMG, this is so complicated. Hope he survives.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:25   #117
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
You would ruin a lot of cases with that method with some of the dies I have. Might work fine on straight wall cases but not the best plan for bottle neck rounds.

Some will be in spec before the die contacts the shell plate and on some, like my 458 socom dies, I have had to turn off part of the die because it was not sizing enough even after contacting the shell plate.
Which is why I have a case gauge for every caliber I reload. I want to check a small percentage of loaded pistol rounds but I really want to check resized rifle cases for proper headspacing.

Richard
Old 03-28-2013, 12:54   #118
jmorris

Quote:
OMG, this is so complicated. Hope he survives.
Not that complicated but you need to pay more attention to detail than just running the dies down to the shell plate and snugging the lock nuts.
Old 03-28-2013, 14:11   #119
Colorado4Wheel

Yep. Its all in the instructions. Only things I disagree with are

1. Get the sizer to touch the shell plate
2. .020" is too much flare. .010" is OK but not always enough. Figure the rest out yourself as far as flare is concerned.
Old 03-28-2013, 15:10   #120
PCJim

Then I guess I've been fortunate as every FL sizing die I have has made contact with either the shellplate or shell holder, bottleneck and straight walled, and from differing manufacturers. Cam-over...

Very well could have been the luck of the draw (or milling machine). Granted, a case gauge is a good idea to have on the bench.
Old 03-28-2013, 15:26   #121
FiremanMike
Way too busy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCJim View Post
Then I guess I've been fortunate as every FL sizing die I have has made contact with either the shellplate or shell holder, bottleneck and straight walled, and from differing manufacturers. Cam-over...

Very well could have been the luck of the draw (or milling machine). Granted, a case gauge is a good idea to have on the bench.
<shrug> for me, my 9mm sizing die goes down to the shell plate, my 223 die crushed the case when I tried that and needed to be backed off a bit.
Old 03-28-2013, 17:11   #122
shotgunred
reloading nut

This will get you going in the right direction.
and motivated by pride and vanity.

Last edited by shotgunred; 03-28-2013 at 17:11..
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:34   #123
FiremanMike
Way too busy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunred View Post
This will get you going in the right direction.
How to reload with a Dillon RL 550B Part 1 - YouTube
Thanks I'll check that out!