Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:55   #41
F106 Fan

As to speed, and it was stated above, as long as you have to let go of the handle to load a case, you won't see much difference in speed between presses.

It's the case feeder that makes all the difference! The 550 case feeder is an afterthought while the 650 and 1050 were designed to have them from the beginning.

Richard
Old 03-22-2013, 08:08   #42
dkf

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebob View Post
dkf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:23   #43
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremanMike View Post
Ok, allow me to throw another wrench in the system.

Hornady LNL AP..
Read my SIG. People often get tired of the LnL and its quirks. Makes my job easier.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:07   #44
sellersm
disciplinare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
550 takes a little time to become familiar with and be fast with it. Most people seat the bullet in station three after they index. Several of us here seat the bullet in station two before indexing as the ram is just reaching the bottom of its stroke just after powder drop. If you do that you can never double charge by pulling the handle twice. You also look in every case just as the powder is dropped. Its a great system once you get the hang of it. Also a little faster.
^This.

And you may want to do some searching to find out how many issues have cropped up, over time, with the LNL.

You're really chasing your tail here. EVERY progressive, unless it has a casefeeder and/or a bulletfeeder, will require you to take your hand off the handle, so their speeds will all be similar!

Not to sound harsh, but you've received a lot of good advice and there's lots of good information here to be found through searches... So go read some more and think about what matters to YOU. We all live with our own decisions, after all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Prosecute criminals, not guns!
sellersm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:25   #45
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
I suppose the versatility of the 550 is better. Plus I like the FCD, so there!

I suppose????

Can't use your FCD with out it. Just the fact you have a "preference" on a die proves the 550 is the only good choice when it comes to the SDB/550 debate.

Don't get me started on the LnL. They are pretty. I will give you that.
Old 03-22-2013, 17:31   #46
FiremanMike
Way too busy

I gotta be honest guys, there's a lot of recent positive LNL reviews out there from people who've owned blue and red..
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShallNotBeInfringed
I humbly submit I have over one million Concealed Carry hours. First license is from early 80's.
FiremanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 17:46   #47
Colorado4Wheel

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/inde...ic=156590&st=0

Even ElNino is now wishing he bought a 650. Search it out on this forum.

Reality is if you look hard enough you will find what you want to support either press. Several of us on this forum have owned a LnL and a 650. Its not even a close choice IMHO. Sure the LnL has some cool features. After owning one I found those features made zero difference in the end. Pick the fussy press if you like. Its your time and money.
Old 03-22-2013, 17:49   #48
dkf

Quote:
I gotta be honest guys, there's a lot of recent positive LNL reviews out there from people who've owned blue and red..
Must be from the 1911 guys.

Last edited by dkf; 03-22-2013 at 17:49..
Old 03-22-2013, 18:13   #49
Colorado4Wheel

I would actually like to see the link is to that info. People who Owned both. I only know a handful of people that meet that standard in the forums I frequent.
Old 03-22-2013, 19:05   #50
F106 Fan

Quote:
I would actually like to see the link is to that info. People who Owned both. I only know a handful of people that meet that standard in the forums I frequent.
Really, that is the only relevant comparison. Sure, I have guzzled the Blue Kool-Aid but I'm the first to admit that I have never even seen a LnL AP. I saw one on a video and it looked pretty nice. But I have driven one!

We already have our presses and can only offer our opinions and suggestions. It is up to the OP to decide which of the many sources of information he values most.

But it doesn't make much sense to come here, get our opinions and then state that other opinions are different and imply they are somehow more valuable or accurate.

Richard

Last edited by F106 Fan; 03-22-2013 at 19:05..
F106 Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 19:40   #51
FiremanMike
Way too busy

Whoa guys, I'm just trying to stir some discussion, I don't take a $600 investment lightly, that's a lot of hard earned dollars and I like to make as educated of a decision as possible.

As for links, I'm on my phone at work. All I did was google "lock n load vs dillon 550" and did it again for 650 and was greeted with several forum posts discussing it, with a few people who'd owned both and preferred the LNL, mostly for the primer system and significantly lower cost (the LNL is more comparable to the 650 than 550).

If I've overstepped my bounds or offended anyone, it was not my intention.
Quote:
I humbly submit I have over one million Concealed Carry hours. First license is from early 80's.
Old 03-22-2013, 19:52   #52
dkf

Quote:
If I've overstepped my bounds or offended anyone, it was not my intention.
You did not offend anybody. Colorado is to LNL and FCD as Fred is to Titegroup and Whisky is to buying targets.
Old 03-22-2013, 20:06   #53
Colorado4Wheel

Not offended. Also not believing that a lot of people have owned both. Most just buy the LnL then use their buddies Dillon. They don't actually spend the ownership time with both presses. They also are biased to what the own.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:41   #54
FiremanMike
Way too busy

Quote:
Not offended. Also not believing that a lot of people have owned both. Most just buy the LnL then use their buddies Dillon. They don't actually spend the ownership time with both presses. They also are biased to what the own.
For the sake of argument, have you owned a LNL?
Quote:
Old 03-23-2013, 08:08   #55
Colorado4Wheel

I have owned....in this order.....

LCT- I should never have sold it.
LoadMaster- Never worked right.
550- Great press.
LnL- went to the factory twice for adjustment. Would not seat primers. Only 99% effective with priming. Other issues are...Slider does not capture the cases so short cases like 9mm fall off. Found a fix for that. Slider did not push case into shell holder properly. Many other issues that are just poor QC and I fixed. It was rare to load 100 RDS and not have a issue of some kind. To Hornady's credit the gave me 100% refund on the press and everything I bought.
650. Like the 550 only a lot faster. Its rare to have a issue in 500 rds
A press that screws up is a safety issue in my book. It might lead to that moment of distraction that causes me to make a really stupid mistake. It does lead to me not trusting my ammo and effects my shooting.
LCT. I bought another one after the 650. Good basic little press.

Last edited by Colorado4Wheel; 03-23-2013 at 08:10..
Colorado4Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:34   #56
FiremanMike
Way too busy

Quote:
I have owned....in this order.....

LCT- I should never have sold it.
LoadMaster- Never worked right.
550- Great press.
LnL- went to the factory twice for adjustment. Would not seat primers. Only 99% effective with priming. Other issues are...Slider does not capture the cases so short cases like 9mm fall off. Found a fix for that. Slider did not push case into shell holder properly. Many other issues that are just poor QC and I fixed. It was rare to load 100 RDS and not have a issue of some kind. To Hornady's credit the gave me 100% refund on the press and everything I bought.
650. Like the 550 only a lot faster. Its rare to have a issue in 500 rds
A press that screws up is a safety issue in my book. It might lead to that moment of distraction that causes me to make a really stupid mistake. It does lead to me not trusting my ammo and effects my shooting.
LCT. I bought another one after the 650. Good basic little press.
Thanks
Quote:
Old 03-23-2013, 08:35   #57
jmorris

For the $130 they cost way back when, the SD's were a great deal. I would step up (and have) to 650's if what you intend to load warrants it.

Other than price I don't have any bashing to do on the SD and I still use mine from time to time to work up loads. They are the best presses I have for that job.

A few years ago I even converted one of my 45 acp tool heads/dies to load 45 GAP that I shot at IDPA nationals out of one of my 625's. Placed 1st MA in ESR, so the ammo they load is fine as long as they casegauge.

Reloading
jmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:38   #58
jmorris

Even rigged up a case feeder for one, once it was concluded on another forum that it couldn't be done.

Video http://s121.photobucket.com/user/jmo...02172.mp4.html

I have at least one of all the Dillion's and have had both pre and post EZ ject LNL's.

I never clicked with the LNL and the best thing I can say about the 550 is that it's faster to convert calibers than the others. Other than that, I'll take an auto advancing press. I really only use mine for rounds that I load enough of that I don't want to use a turret but not enough to load on a "real" progressive. 458 socom, 300 win mag and such.

Last edited by jmorris; 03-23-2013 at 08:48..
jmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:23   #59
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by F106 Fan View Post
As to speed, and it was stated above, as long as you have to let go of the handle to load a case, you won't see much difference in speed between presses.

It's the case feeder that makes all the difference! The 550 case feeder is an afterthought while the 650 and 1050 were designed to have them from the beginning.

Richard
This as been said many times, auto indexing IS NOT any faster than manual indexing. As C4W notes, cost isn't even cheaper if you already have 2 die sets. The 550 is just that much better, the 650 better still.
Equip the same, he LNL & 650 are the same cost as well & also a better press. Your decision, you've been given lots of good intel.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:28   #60
fredj338

Quote:
Not owned both but loaded enough on a LNL to be able to compare the two. If you just want an auto indexing, case feeder progressive, the LNL works. If you want a better case fed progressive, it is the 650 for several reasons.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote