SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-27-2013, 14:17   #1
FiremanMike
Way too busy

First question, pre-press delivery..

Ok I do have my first question going from lee to dillon..

a 9mm Caliber conversion and dies are included with this press, so I figured I'd give the dillon dies a go. From the videos I've watched, it looks like the case flare/powder drop station puts much more bell on the case than what I'm used to with my lee set. Honestly my case flare/powder drop station on my LCT is adjusted just enough to where it gives a complete throw of powder, there is no visible bell on my case wall. This has never been an issue for me as I load FMJ and everything has always worked flawlessly.

Talk me through this new process with this visible bell and what other differences I should expect going into the dillon setup?

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShallNotBeInfringed
I humbly submit I have over one million Concealed Carry hours. First license is from early 80's.
FiremanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 14:54   #2
Colorado4Wheel

The absolute best thing you can doe is download and read the entire instructions now. Then again as you set the press up. The instructions are excellent and much better then a bunch of random setup help.

With that said. Get some 600 grit wet dry sandpaper or a scothbrite pad. I prefer the really fine sandpaper. Whenever the primer shuttle doesn't go all the way back polish that shuttle up again. Also some compressed air and a rag to keep it clean. Do not oil it.
Old 03-27-2013, 14:56   #3
Oldgoat03

Flare adjustment

Fireman Mike

I adjust the flare on my Dillon SDB (and Lee 4 hole turret) just enough so that the bullet will rest on top of the brass. I use more plated bullets so didn't want to risk damaging the plating by not flaring enough. That amount of flare seems to work fine for plated and jacketed. (I don't load much lead)

Hope this helps
OG03

Last edited by Oldgoat03; 03-27-2013 at 21:37..
Oldgoat03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 15:27   #4
sellersm
disciplinare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
The absolute best thing you can doe is download and read the entire instructions now. Then again as you set the press up. The instructions are excellent and much better then a bunch of random setup help.
^This!

But rest assured, as you'll find out when you read the manual (which is online as a .PDF file download), the flare IS adjustable. It's based on how much/little the die is screwed down into the holder. You can set it to flare however much you want it to be flared...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Prosecute criminals, not guns!
sellersm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 15:30   #5
FiremanMike
Way too busy

No oil, check. Does that include oils like militec, where you wipe it on, warm it, and eventually wipe it completely off (if treated properly, it bonds with the metal)?
Quote:
I humbly submit I have over one million Concealed Carry hours. First license is from early 80's.
Old 03-27-2013, 15:30   #6
F106 Fan

In one of the manuals, Dillon suggest a flare of about 0.020". That seems like a lot but it's a starting point.

The amount of flare is easily adjustable as mentioned above.

The point of the larger flare is to keep the bullet stable and upright while the ram goes up and the fingers come out. That bit about the fingers coming out is really important.

Richard
Old 03-27-2013, 21:21   #7
PEC-Memphis
Scottish Member

I adjust to very little case flare (on a 550), I actually feel the bullet seating die before removing fingers - timing is critical.

I use powdered graphite on the powder & primer bars.

Last edited by PEC-Memphis; 03-27-2013 at 21:23..
PEC-Memphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 21:33   #8
shotgunred
reloading nut

Put enough flair in it so that you can let go of the bullet and it will stay in the brass.
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 22:09   #9
Colorado4Wheel

Enough flare to hold the bullet you place on the case whiile it's in station two before you index but just after checking for powder.
Old 03-27-2013, 22:14   #10
m2hmghb

Ahhh no, the hose dragger is going to be reloading now? Seriously, congrats. The 550 is a great press. Read the manual and if dillon has videos up watch them(I forget if they do or don't), it'll help with the wait for delivery.

The M1 Garand rifle is the best battle implement ever devised by man.
m2hmghb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 22:14   #11
F106 Fan

The advantage to placing the bullet at station 2 is that it helps prevent the powder from splashing out during indexing.

It is much more common to seat the bullet at station 3 but this doesn't prevent splashing.

Richard
Old 03-27-2013, 22:45   #12
Colorado4Wheel

It's also a little faster and it's safer. If you seat the bullet just as the case is leaving the powder measure you simply can not double charge. You also have a better workflow because you can grab the bullet as you pull the handle down then seat the bullet, then index with your handle. Otherwise you have to index, grab a bullet and seat a bullet. Or index while holding a bullet.
Old 03-27-2013, 23:28   #13
fredj338

The flare on the Dillon powder thru die is infinitely adustable. There really is no advantage to under flaring/belling. Lead & palted bullets need more flare than jacketed, but I use the same flare for all bullets. Adjust it so the bullet will sit on top of the case w/o you holding it there, you'll get better seating results across the board.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:40   #14
PCJim

The adjustability of your flare has been covered well above. Your only limit to the amount of flare is if you flare too much (TOO much), the case will not enter the seating die in station 3.

Indexing.... I prefer to index while holding the bullet, then setting it on the case in station 3. That's just my method, as opposed to those like Squeeker who set the bullet before indexing. If you have a really bulky powder and are running the press at 400+rph, you would avoid powder spill if setting the bullet before indexing.
PCJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:52   #15
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
The flare on the Dillon powder thru die is infinitely adustable. There really is no advantage to under flaring/belling. Lead & palted bullets need more flare than jacketed, but I use the same flare for all bullets. Adjust it so the bullet will sit on top of the case w/o you holding it there, you'll get better seating results across the board.
I agree. I load different bullet types and keep they flare set for the one that need the most generous amount of it.
Don't forget to get some Hornady One Shot for your brass, makes a huge difference in sizing and consistency with OAL.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member

Last edited by Boxerglocker; 03-28-2013 at 06:54..
Boxerglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:04   #16
FiremanMike
Way too busy

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2hmghb View Post
Ahhh no, the hose dragger is going to be reloading now? Seriously, congrats. The 550 is a great press. Read the manual and if dillon has videos up watch them(I forget if they do or don't), it'll help with the wait for delivery.
I've been loading for about 3 years now, this is my first progressive though..

Quote:
Originally Posted by F106 Fan View Post
The advantage to placing the bullet at station 2 is that it helps prevent the powder from splashing out during indexing.

It is much more common to seat the bullet at station 3 but this doesn't prevent splashing.

Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
It's also a little faster and it's safer. If you seat the bullet just as the case is leaving the powder measure you simply can not double charge. You also have a better workflow because you can grab the bullet as you pull the handle down then seat the bullet, then index with your handle. Otherwise you have to index, grab a bullet and seat a bullet. Or index while holding a bullet.
Alright I'll look into that. I have no idea what my rhythm will be on this new machine yet, so tips are always welcome!
Quote:
Old 03-28-2013, 07:05   #17
FiremanMike
Way too busy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerglocker View Post
I agree. I load different bullet types and keep they flare set for the one that need the most generous amount of it.
Don't forget to get some Hornady One Shot for your brass, makes a huge difference in sizing and consistency with OAL.
Are dillon dies not carbide?

Honestly I've never lubed pistol cases, just rifle (obviously).
Quote:
Old 03-28-2013, 07:34   #18
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremanMike View Post
Are dillon dies not carbide?

Honestly I've never lubed pistol cases, just rifle (obviously).
Yes, the dies are carbide and, no, you don't have to lube. However, the process will run a lot smoother if you do.

I loaded for many years without lube and if all I had was that sticky RCBS lube, I would still be loading dry. However, Hornady One Shot has changed my mind.

I dump about 500 cases in a Tupperware container, spray some lube, shake the cases around and dump them in the case feeder.

Things just go better with HOS. There is no need to remove the lube after sizing. Just shoot 'em.

Richard
Old 03-28-2013, 21:07   #19
m2hmghb

One shot or the Lee case lube in a squirt bottle dissolved in 91 or 99% rubbing alcohol works great and doesn't contaminate things. Just dump the cases in a large ziploc bag squirt some lube in then seal and shake, then dump them out on a sheet or something to let them dry then get to work. With the progressive the lower the friction the better for you.

The M1 Garand rifle is the best battle implement ever devised by man.
m2hmghb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 23:06   #20
unclebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2hmghb View Post
One shot or the Lee case lube in a squirt bottle dissolved in 91 or 99% rubbing alcohol works great and doesn't contaminate things. Just dump the cases in a large ziploc bag squirt some lube in then seal and shake, then dump them out on a sheet or something to let them dry then get to work. With the progressive the lower the friction the better for you.
Yep the Ziploc bag work a lot better. If it gets dirty just throw it away and get a new one. Easier to store also.
GSSF Life Member