SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-21-2013, 21:13   #101
vettely

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustygun View Post
You will probably all call me a liar but trust me this works. You can buy any expensive disposable razor you like but this is the trick.

All modern made razors come with a coating on the blades that will last a good month with every day use on even the most caveman facial hair. What dulls the blade(s) so fast is minerals in the water drying on the blade and adding thickness and making them cut for crap. Simple trick is to flip the razor over in the holder so the leading edge of the blade is facing up. When the water dries it moves with gravity to the back edge of the blade and leaves the cutting surface pristine. Try it and you will laugh and then thank me.
True. Another trick is to just submerse the blades in mineral oil to prevent oxidation/rust.
Old 03-21-2013, 21:15   #102
HollowHead
Firm member

I put a homemade waste oil dripping system in my workshop wood stove. About $12 of some Ace Hardware stuff and the tractors, cars, truck, ATVs and bikes will make a cord of wood last all winter. HH

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.

Last edited by HollowHead; 03-22-2013 at 15:23..
HollowHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 21:25   #103
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Hair clippers, haven't been to a barber in years.

Farrier's rasp, hoof clippers, and stand.

Giving the animals all their shots, minus rabies and coggins tests.
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 21:57   #104
gatorboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by G29Reload View Post
Where in hell would you even find ethanol free gas? Every pump i stop at has ethanol in it.

Besides, hi test solves the problem. No other issues.
pure-gas.org/

93 may solve the pinging but it's the ethanol that rot's seals, gasket's, hoses etc. There's a station on the other side of town. I get 10 gallons every few weeks. We use it in the boat and wheelers also. Rubber and plastic hoses look like plugged arteries without ethanol free. It's so bad I won't use my lawn equipment with regular.

Last edited by gatorboy; 03-21-2013 at 21:58..
gatorboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:27   #105
ChuteTheMall
What Difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustygun View Post
What dulls the blade(s) so fast is minerals in the water drying on the blade and adding thickness and making them cut for crap. Simple trick is to flip the razor over in the holder so the leading edge of the blade is facing up. When the water dries it moves with gravity to the back edge of the blade and leaves the cutting surface pristine. Try it and you will laugh and then thank me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettely View Post
True. Another trick is to just submerse the blades in mineral oil to prevent oxidation/rust.
I do what my barber does, I leave the blades submerged in water. Without air, they don't rust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverMore1701 View Post
Hair clippers, haven't been to a barber in years.

Farrier's rasp, hoof clippers, and stand.
Ouch, I need to see what that haircut looks like.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:37   #106
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai

Read threads like this on GT.
"Nothing we're gonna do is going to fundamentally alter or eliminate the possibility of another mass shooting or guarantee that [our gun ban legislation] will bring gun deaths down..." - VPOTUS Joe Biden
"Love 'Em All!!! Let Jehovah sort 'em out." - The Holy Bible
"You gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" - Josey Wales
Peace Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:56   #107
fg17

only go to church twice a year = 2 donations to the plate.
cut my own hair
drive a subcompact car to work
buy/keep only the guns I need and use
maintain house but do not make a lot of improvements.
harvest 3 deer a year off my property
stay in shape
quit chewing tobacco
Don't panic buy guns and ammo every time someone says they are going to pass a new gun control law.

Last edited by fg17; 03-22-2013 at 08:03..
fg17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:03   #108
Short Cut
CLM Number 88
PatrioticMember

Raise our own beef, lamb, eggs and grow some of our own vegetables. It saves money, but more importantly to me the meat is so much better and we know what they've been fed.

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
Short Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:38   #109
okie
GT Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollowHead View Post
Everclear. The economy of scale is terrific! HH
That's what I did
okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:47   #110
okie
GT Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by G29Reload View Post
Learning to make pizza at home. 5$ worth of ingredients can make a pizza youd pay 20 for at the takeout.

And i'm learning to make GOOD pizza like from a real mom and pop hole in the wall NJ pizzeria, not cardboard crust crappy gas station pizza. Hand spun dough2 days in advance w fine milled 00 italian flour, sauce from pomodoro san marzanos w just the right amount of garlic and oregano and the hunt for the perfect whole milk mozzarella. Baked on a stone 500+ degrees.
5 freakin dollars, how the hell do you do that, my friend Last time I made a pizza it cost me like 45 bucks
okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:22   #111
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai

That rem9inds me Okie, I've got to get a new pizza stone.
"Nothing we're gonna do is going to fundamentally alter or eliminate the possibility of another mass shooting or guarantee that [our gun ban legislation] will bring gun deaths down..." - VPOTUS Joe Biden
"Love 'Em All!!! Let Jehovah sort 'em out." - The Holy Bible
"You gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" - Josey Wales
Peace Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:07   #112
BEER
bad example

home made pest control substances. as an example, using a little liquid dish soap and water to kill wasps and hornets instead of expensive sprays from the store.

patience. instead of running out and buying things like videogames and electronics as soon as they come out i wait a couple of months to a year for the hype and insane pricing to come down.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:45   #113
Jimbo107

It would be pretty funny to see some pics of the guys who cut their own hair ! Seems to be alot of you out there : )
Jimbo107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:45   #114
BEER
bad example

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo107 View Post
It would be pretty funny to see some pics of the guys who cut their own hair ! Seems to be alot of you out there : )
it's not that hard, just set the blade as low as it will go and buzz it all until you quit seeing hair fall.

The Okie Corral

The Okie Corral
Old 03-22-2013, 13:38   #115
bmoore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEER View Post
it's not that hard, just set the blade as low as it will go and buzz it all until you quit seeing hair fall.

The Okie Corral

The Okie Corral
Miller High Life? I love that stuff this time of year.
Old 03-22-2013, 14:36   #116
vart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altaris View Post
When I was growing up we had a neighbor that would only allow the house to flush the toilet once per day. It was a husband, wife, and 2 kids filling that thing up too. This was to save water for the planet(they were hippies), and to save money on their water bill.
They had several other weird money saving habits, but that was definitely the grossest of them.
LOL! My grandparents did that as well at their country home to ease wear on the septic system.

I still remember my grandfather telling me, "If it's brown, flush it down. If it's yellow, let it mellow...".

"That's a big bite of crap sandwich, my friend..."

Rabbi - "Anyways, that is a beautiful car. Bill probably already farted in it."
vart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 15:14   #117
JMS

Shopping at only 1 grocery store, I have a spreadsheet for the items we buy and I update it when the flyer comes, so I can keep track of the lowest prices/real sales and stock up on the items at that point. By buying at the lowest point and using coupons I have a pantry full of items which we pull from rather than going to the store.

In addition the grocery store gives gas points up to $2.10 off a gallon. They send bonus coupons (about every 2 weeks), i.e. extra 300 points for a $50 purchase, so I break up my transaction into 3 seperate purchases, so I get 900 extra gas points plus 150 gas points for the purchases I've made. We fill up every 2 weeks so I usually save $1.50-$1.80 off a gallon (up to 35 gallons).

By doing all of the above, specifically sales and coupons, for $125-$150 a week, I can purchase the equivalent of $225-$275 worth of food.

Last edited by JMS; 03-22-2013 at 15:15..
JMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:06   #118
SandP04

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie View Post
5 freakin dollars, how the hell do you do that, my friend Last time I made a pizza it cost me like 45 bucks
Seriously! I've tried doing home cooked meals for a couple different occasions and most the time it costs me as much, if not MORE, to make em at home as it would to go out! (although I usually buy premium ingredients when I do this...)

As for the DE shaving peeps, I do this too! Buying your blades in bulk online saves a TON. I got a 100 pack of Dorco blades about 3 years ago for $10 and I'm almost down to my last 2 packs... I usually rock some stubble and shave every other day mon-thurs and grow it out fri-sun.

The biggest saver overall for me is that I rent a room. I used to have my own pad and was paying nearly $1000/mo for rent+utilities+parking. Now I pay a flat $485/mo for the master bedroom w a private bath. I deduct yard work and home repairs from my rent check. This alone is saving me $6,000/year in rent.
SandP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:36   #119
RoughTexturedTrav
Spenser4Hire

Home haircuts
Oil changes and normal auto maintanence
Avoiding smoking, coffee, gambling, fast food, bars (Or at least pre gaming)
Trying to drink only water and carrying a water bottle
Home cooking
Pirating Ebooks, Movies, Shows, Music etc (Used to spend 30 bucks on DVD box sets and now i use a 2 TB external HD)

Wish i reloaded..

Chesty Puller USMC
RoughTexturedTrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:30   #120
costanza187
I like Macs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughTexturedTrav View Post
Pirating Ebooks, Movies, Shows, Music etc (Used to spend 30 bucks on DVD box sets and now i use a 2 TB external HD)
Not a good idea to just advertise it. I got reprimanded by a mod for even making a joke about it.

Last edited by costanza187; 03-23-2013 at 06:36..
costanza187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:42   #121
paynter2
It ain't over

Used cars - 'cheap' is a relative term. I buy used cars for my commute to work. I paid $6000 for my current ride - roughly 150K miles ago (215K total). I've done regular maintenance - brakes, oil, tires, battery, etc. But nothing major. It still runs great, burns no oil and I expect to drive it for a long time to come.

I'm sure I've saved $10K over the cost of a new one.

Last edited by paynter2; 03-23-2013 at 06:43..
paynter2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:11   #122
Officer X

Quote:
Originally Posted by costanza187 View Post
In regards to trash pickup. A few years ago, I noticed a guy at work who would regularly get trash bags out of his SUV and deposit them in the dumpster before going into the building.
Except that stops being a savings when you get prosecuted for theft. You're essentially stealing from the person who is paying for the dumpster as now he/she is losing space and paying to have your garbage hauled away.

We've had this happen several times at construction sites and warehouses in town. Employees would come in and find the dumpsters loaded up with bulk garbage (furniture, old appliances, electronics, etc.).

I know of one case at a construction site where the guy must have gutted his kitchen and threw all the old stuff in the contractor's dumpster. Only problem was he also threw out his household garbage with his discarded mail. A warehouse in town was getting loaded up so bad that they installed cameras and caught the guy, along with his license plate, dumping his garbage in their dumpsters several times over a couple week period. Both places prosecuted.
Officer X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:27   #123
railfancwb

Gasoline points - cents off discount

As mentioned earlier, the discount is often good on up to 35 gallons. If the family has two or more drivers, meet at the pump to take full advantage of the 35 gallons and a high discount.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 03-23-2013, 07:30   #124
railfancwb

Ethanol-free gasoline might be more easily found in rural areas because old gasoline burning tractors don't like ethanol.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:32   #125
railfancwb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Short Cut View Post
Raise our own beef, lamb, eggs and grow some of our own vegetables. It saves money, but more importantly to me the meat is so much better and we know what they've been fed.
Plus one. My daughter and son-in-law live close and we kinda share on these activities.