Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:37   #26
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Spending more on hi test for the riding mower than like the last one that died after beating itself to death where the mechanic could no longer peen the cylinder. Saved maybe 50 bucks over 3 years by using cheaper gas, then after it died having to spend 1000 on lawn care for the last year i owned the place waiting for the house to sell cause no mower.

Didnt realize that run on knock and ping wasnt just a quaint annoyance at shutdown but damaging the engine.

New 42" gets hi test only and now that its broken in will get Pennzoil Synthetic Platinum for this seasons oil change at 7 fiddy a quart. Crankcase is less than 2 qts, get over it.

Some money is not worth saving.

Last edited by G29Reload; 03-20-2013 at 11:39..
G29Reload is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:43   #27
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Annual checkups.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:54   #28
ZombieJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by G29Reload View Post

Some money is not worth saving.
Agree, I save where I can. I quit smoking in September, I started changing my own oil about a year and half ago, etc, etc. But I also like to go to Red Lobster once a month, when out of town I might go to a strip club (no more then 2x a year). Im not a robot, and will not live like one.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 03-20-2013, 12:15   #29
Rcsteffen

I cut my own hair, work in my own vehicles, and do most of my own construction when needed. Save's a ton.Wife just quit smoking too!

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Rcsteffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 13:13   #30
Adjuster

I just purchased a angle grinder from Harbour Freight for $18.00 and a 10 pack set of grinder, cut off and flapper wheels for $8.00. I have or had some rebar type hurricane anchor bolts sticking out of the ground in my yard. Dug down about 6" around them and the angle grinder cut through them like butter. Instant satisfaction at an extremely reasonable cost. If the grinder breaks down tomorrow I will still be satisfied. This in fact might be the only time I will even use the grinder as I sure don't have any further need for it at this time.

/
Adjuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 13:17   #31
Detectorist

Straight Talk phone
Skillet
Using hot dogs for catfish bait
Don't have to pay much for medical care...US Army veteran.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place. George Bernard Shaw
Detectorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 13:24   #32
airmotive
Tin Kicker

Reading the ingredients labels on over-the-counter meds, and buying the (MUCH) cheaper knockoff with the same ingredients.
(here's an example: "Excedrin" and "Excedrin Migraine" are the EXACT same ingredients in the exact same dosages...pure marketing. Of course, generic "headache pain reliever" is also the exact same thing: Tylenol and Caffeine.)

You guys who cut your own hair....you rockin' the mullet?

Last edited by airmotive; 03-20-2013 at 13:26..
airmotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 13:43   #33
itstime

Quote:
Originally Posted by belial View Post
Switching to double edged saftey razors. I spend $25 on blades for a year, not a package.
Ditto on this. And it's pretty cool to go old school.
itstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 13:53   #34
FH Alum

Bicycle. For small local errands it beats the price of gas in my truck. Also has health benefit to walk/bike when logical.

Good shoes. Good quality boots and dress shoes that can be re -soled will last decades, look better, have more class and are more comfortable.

An expensive suit can be brought down by cheep shoes.

Good shoes/boots can dress up even jeans and a casual shirt.
Old 03-20-2013, 13:58   #35
sharpshooter

I only change my sox once a week, saves on my soap bill and my neighbor's e-Lec-tricity. His bill, because I'm wired into his meter!
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 14:08   #36
kirbinster

Buying Ammo in bulk on-line, so much cheaper than at the range.

Buying a pair of lightly used '02 Toyota Prius in 2005 when no one wanted them and they were cheap. Have been great cars and we average 45 mpg on them.

The best (but not cheap) thing was installing a 10KW solar array on my roof in 2005. System paid for itself in just over three years and has been a cash cow ever since. Best investment I ever made.

....and no I am not an environmental nut, far from it - I only bought these things because stupid Liberals got government to subsidize them and they made economic sense.
kirbinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 14:16   #37
Rcsteffen

Quote:
Originally Posted by airmotive View Post

You guys who cut your own hair....you rockin' the mullet?
That might actually require some skill. High and tight is easy.
Rcsteffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 14:28   #38
Altaris

When I was growing up we had a neighbor that would only allow the house to flush the toilet once per day. It was a husband, wife, and 2 kids filling that thing up too. This was to save water for the planet(they were hippies), and to save money on their water bill.
They had several other weird money saving habits, but that was definitely the grossest of them.
Altaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 14:39   #39
Z71bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjuster View Post
I just purchased a angle grinder from Harbour Freight for $18.00 and a 10 pack set of grinder, cut off and flapper wheels for $8.00. I have or had some rebar type hurricane anchor bolts sticking out of the ground in my yard. Dug down about 6" around them and the angle grinder cut through them like butter. Instant satisfaction at an extremely reasonable cost. If the grinder breaks down tomorrow I will still be satisfied. This in fact might be the only time I will even use the grinder as I sure don't have any further need for it at this time.

/
I bought the same HF grinder 8 or so years ago to cut re-bar for a sidewalk I was putting in -

I also figured it would be 1 use -

Have used the darn thing dozens of times since.

----------------
I got a free multimeter at Harbor Freight -used one of their free with any purchase coupons.

I am sure as heck not an electrician - but thought it was sort of cool.

First thing I discovered -

Flashlight was dim - so - like always I figured it was dead batteries - was about to replace them - pulled out my multimeter and discovered two of the D cell batteries still putting out ~1.55 volts - but the third battery was only .6 of a volt.

Since discovering this - I always check all the batteries before I replace them - I was surprised to find how many times only one battery out of 3 or 4 was actually bad.

I try and put batteries with about the same voltage together in the same devise - and use the ones that are starting to get weak in my wife's battery operated candles (she has many of them all over the house) - that way I always have new fresh batteries in my critical (home defence) flashlights.

Last edited by Z71bill; 03-20-2013 at 14:45..
Z71bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 14:42   #40
CitizenOfDreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockdoc21 View Post
I was thinking today as I cut my 2 boys
Yep, that would have saved some money for sure.
CitizenOfDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 14:59   #41
somebodybuymeaglock

Coupons. I love FREE stuff.
Buying a 1996 jeep and doing most of the repairs myself.

-Mark Twain
somebodybuymeaglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 15:24   #42
vettely

I switched to this monthly cell phone unlimited plan for $50 over a year ago and this has saved me ALOT of money.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tmobile-50...-Card/15443360
Old 03-20-2013, 15:33   #43
CBennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by droidfire View Post
zippo lighter.

5 or 7 bics a week versus $1.99 worth of fluid for 3 months.
Ive asked for one...my wife says why you dont smoke..and this was what I told here(what you said) she has those smelly candles, we use the longer type ones to start the backyard chiminea thingy..I said I could basically run a Zippo forever for as much as we use one for the cost of the lighter and a can of fluid lol...probably last me a lifetime.

And if you shoot reloading equipment..depending on how much you shoot you will 100% be able to shoot cheaper and you WILL be able to shoot more(because you can reload ammo cheaper)

I always try to go with QUALITY also..id rather spend a few more bucks on something I know will be good and last a long time or has a good warranty..than skimp get the cheaper thing that is not as good/wont last as long(again from the Zippo thing...buying a Zippo and a can of fluid VS buying 100 dollar store "bic type" lighters..ones gonna work forever reliably the other you know will probably work for a while but who knows lol..all you know is you will need more eventually .

Oh my Tracphone VS a "regular" plan...I pay $99 a year for my cell phone and last year even with surfing the web,texts, and calling regularly I still had 400+ minutes left on my plan...I think I started out with about 1600 minutes...same this year I had 1600 or so in October I still have 1300 right now.

and as said coupons...wifes always clipping them

Last edited by CBennett; 03-20-2013 at 15:44..
CBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 15:36   #44
Bruce M

My gas siphon hose saves me plenty. Crack instead of good powder blow and street walkers instead of Charlie Sheen level goddesses saves a subtantial amount too.

And finally while I prefer the home field advantage three or four times a week I take of it at work saving water and paper.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 15:39   #45
MulletLoad

Picked the right wife.

After nearly 23 years, the cost has been much cheaper than returning a defective one and the outlay has been more cost effective than renting
MulletLoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 15:58   #46
tsmo1066
Happy Smiley

Walking 2 miles per day.

Moderate exercise costs nothing and can help save you from truly nightmarish medical experiences and costs down the road.
Old 03-20-2013, 16:07   #47
VinnieD

A few things I do to save money. Some are more extreme than others.

Low flow shower head. It takes some getting used to, but it cuts both water and electric bills since you'll need to reheat less water.

Line drying clothing. Sunshine and wind will get the job done just as quickly as a dryer, and as an added bonus, tumbling clothes in a dryer actually damages them. The clothes last longer if they're line dried.

Repair small tears and damage rather than throwing a garment out. Learn to do a little basic stitching. If it's beyond repair, demote it or cut it up for rags and patches. For instance T shirts get demoted to undershirts, casual pants get demoted to work pants which get demoted to house pants, then they can be demoted to cleaning rags and repair material.

This is going to shock some people but you don't need to do laundry every day, and some things don't need to be washed every time you wear them. Pants can go 3 days to a week depending on your own bio chemistry (some people stink them up faster than others), and as long as you don't get anything on them. Button down shirts can go 2 or 3 days, T shirts can go at least 2 days (If you wear an undershirt) but undergarments you should certainly wash every time.

Wear an undershirt. Aside from helping to prevent plumber's crack and gut droop, an undershirt serves to keep sweat and oils off of your better shirts.

Save grocery bags. They have tons of uses. You can use them for carrying things, packing your lunch, packing material for shipping things, separating trash for recycling, and in a pinch they're really quite flammable.
Old 03-20-2013, 16:11   #48
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

Getting the milk for free, instead of buying the cow.

Alexander Hamilton, author of Federalist No. 1. 10/27/1787
Jason D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 16:21   #49
dango

Quote:
Originally Posted by droidfire View Post
zippo lighter.

5 or 7 bics a week versus $1.99 worth of fluid for 3 months.
That would be one usefull item on the ole "Prepers" list..! I got three fire places and when the power goes out ,which it always does , Whilst others are rubbin sticks together and blowin on "tampons" and such , ...Flick the "BIC"..(POOF)..Fire!

Last edited by dango; 03-20-2013 at 16:22..
dango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 16:22   #50
railfancwb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason D View Post
Getting the milk for free, instead of buying the cow.
Oh, wow!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire