SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-13-2013, 16:46   #1
BEER
bad example

when did southern manners die?

i was just at the local stop&rob picking up tonights supplies. as i walked up to the door i noticed a lady (probably mid 40's) coming up the sidewalk so i waited and held the door open for her as she approached. right as she gets to the door this jackass (probably early 30s) comes up from behind me and damn near literaly shoulders her out of the way to get through the door.

i comment rather loudly about how rude some people are these days and the guy muttered something i didn't quite catch other than the word "*****" thrown in. it's saturday, i just want to grab some beer and go home and throw darts and get loose, and i'm wearing my gun so i let that go and give the lady an appologetic look so she dosen't think all men are mouth breathing knuckle draggers these days.

she goes in and goes about her business, the guy goes to the atm machine, i grab my beer and head for the counter. and this is where i got the burr under my saddle during the whole business. the only person out of the whole affair to say anything nice to me? the little hindu lady working behind the counter, she actually thanked me for holding the door for the other lady and saying something to the rude male.

my day's been fine up till all that but for some reason this is sticking with me. don't get me wrong it aint nothin worth losing sleep over or anything but it does kind of bug me the way the whole thing went down, it sort of goes against my entire upbringing.
Old 04-13-2013, 16:48   #2
SiberianErik

Easy answer

All the losers that came from up north, that for some reason or another had to come to the south to make a "fresh start". Translation..they were such a mess in their hometowns, their family bought them a one way ticket to Florida to punish the locals.
Ed Brown 1911 fan #1
HK45 fan #2
FN PS90SBR/FiveSeven fan#3
SiberianErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 16:51   #3
PBCounty

Send a message via AIM to PBCounty
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiberianErik View Post
Easy answer

All the losers that came from up north, that for some reason or another had to come to the south to make a "fresh start". Translation..they were such a mess in their hometowns, their family bought them a one way ticket to Florida to punish the locals.
Yup. So many people come here and complain about how rude Floridians are - I always tell them that's because it's full of northerners (speaking primarily of the N.E. folks).
Old 04-13-2013, 16:52   #4
turretg

Hates easy. There are jerks in every demographic of the Country. My take is for every knuckledragger like that guy, there are people like you keeping things in balance ...Hopefully anyway. My hats off to your kindness sir.

Last edited by turretg; 04-13-2013 at 16:54..
turretg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 16:58   #5
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Quote:
when did southern manners die?

After the southerner came to the north and got a reality check!

Old 04-13-2013, 16:59   #6
BEER
bad example

i'm pretty sure any "reality" check written by a northerner would bounce. lol
Old 04-13-2013, 17:10   #7
method

'Southern manners', like any other stereotype, isn't a concrete rule.

..and anyone who really thinks it's a North v South thing is a freakin' moron. Let it go.
method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 17:15   #8
gilfo

I am originally from up North. And I always hold the door for man or woman. It is HOW you are raised not WHERE you were raised.
gilfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 17:15   #9
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Thank you, come again.
Old 04-13-2013, 17:27   #10
Inyo Tim
Senior Moment

Inyo Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 17:31   #11
*ACE*

Southern manners? Yeah, I used to watch those southern manners back in the 50s and 60s when white cops turned fire hoses and dogs on blacks who wanted to eat lunch in Bubba's diner.

I lived in the south for about 15 years. And I lived in the north for about 25 years. I also lived on the West Coast for about 7 years.

People are the same all over.
*ACE* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 17:34   #12
Beretta92guy

manners, and civility have pretty much gone out the window in every part of the country......

nobody gives a damn about anyone else except themselves.....selfish, self-serving hypocrites are abundant in this country.....
Beretta92guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 17:42   #13
OctoberRust
Anti-Federalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEER View Post
i was just at the local stop&rob picking up tonights supplies. as i walked up to the door i noticed a lady (probably mid 40's) coming up the sidewalk so i waited and held the door open for her as she approached. right as she gets to the door this jackass (probably early 30s) comes up from behind me and damn near literaly shoulders her out of the way to get through the door.

i comment rather loudly about how rude some people are these days and the guy muttered something i didn't quite catch other than the word "*****" thrown in. it's saturday, i just want to grab some beer and go home and throw darts and get loose, and i'm wearing my gun so i let that go and give the lady an appologetic look so she dosen't think all men are mouth breathing knuckle draggers these days.

she goes in and goes about her business, the guy goes to the atm machine, i grab my beer and head for the counter. and this is where i got the burr under my saddle during the whole business. the only person out of the whole affair to say anything nice to me? the little hindu lady working behind the counter, she actually thanked me for holding the door for the other lady and saying something to the rude male.

my day's been fine up till all that but for some reason this is sticking with me. don't get me wrong it aint nothin worth losing sleep over or anything but it does kind of bug me the way the whole thing went down, it sort of goes against my entire upbringing.
wait, am I reading this right? You're in Texas, you're drinking an alcoholic beverage, AND you're carrying a gun?....

I could be wrong since I never drink in public, but isn't that illegal in the state of Texas?.....
OctoberRust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 17:46   #14
GLOCK19FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilfo View Post
I am originally from up North. And I always hold the door for man or woman. It is HOW you are raised not WHERE you were raised.
Same here. Moved to the south when I turned 18, but not because I needed a fresh start as someone else tried to say about northerners moving south.

I just got sick of the crappy winters in OH. lol

But I still have my manners. My parents raised me right.
/"""""""\
\_@_@_@_@_/

Last edited by GLOCK19FTW; 04-13-2013 at 17:47..
GLOCK19FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 17:54   #15
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

Quote:
Easy answer

Hahahaha ha. I was gonna jokingly post that before you people did.

Rude is meanly distributed.
Old 04-13-2013, 18:22   #16
Rooster Rugburn
Got Pignose?

Allow me to play devils advocate:

In a desperate need for validation and approval, you hold the door open for a woman you don't know, and probably doesn't appreciate it because she thinks you are trying to hit on her and she has a man she is devoted to already. So she doesn't give you the validation or approval you so desperately need, the other guy makes you look silly, and you had your mood ruined? You put her in an awkward position in that now she may feel obligated to thank you or be nice, when she doesn't want to.

In doing so, you get in the way of a guy who is in a hurry to get some cash, so he can go score some weed, or get his own beer, who knows you don't have a shot at bedding the lady approaching the door. He just wanted to get some cash, weed, or beer and get out.

Do I have it about right?

Seriously. As a general rule, if you have to wait for an unknown lady to get to the door, it's best not to try and hold it for her. Unless, she has her hands full with kids or a load.

To answer the question, southern manners died as the gender war escalated, and the bull dykes who don't get doors opened for them convinced the rest of women that it is a patronizing gesture, and an insult.

Ever notice that people who say "There is no I in TEAM" are the ones always riding your coattails?
Rooster Rugburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 18:29   #17
SiberianErik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn View Post
Allow me to play devils advocate:

In a desperate need for validation and approval, you hold the door open for a woman you don't know, and probably doesn't appreciate it because she thinks you are trying to hit on her and she has a man she is devoted to already. So she doesn't give you the validation or approval you so desperately need, the other guy makes you look silly, and you had your mood ruined? You put her in an awkward position in that now she may feel obligated to thank you or be nice, when she doesn't want to.

In doing so, you get in the way of a guy who is in a hurry to get some cash, so he can go score some weed, or get his own beer, who knows you don't have a shot at bedding the lady approaching the door. He just wanted to get some cash, weed, or beer and get out.

Do I have it about right?

Seriously. As a general rule, if you have to wait for an unknown lady to get to the door, it's best not to try and hold it for her. Unless, she has her hands full with kids or a load.

To answer the question, southern manners died as the gender war escalated, and the bull dykes who don't get doors opened for them convinced the rest of women that it is a patronizing gesture, and an insult.
Do you have that right ??

Not even close.
Ed Brown 1911 fan #1
HK45 fan #2
FN PS90SBR/FiveSeven fan#3
SiberianErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 18:34   #18
bear62

Manners ......... no matter where you live ... are on the decline... and that's too bad....
Old 04-13-2013, 18:34   #19
Officer X

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoberRust View Post
wait, am I reading this right? You're in Texas, you're drinking an alcoholic beverage, AND you're carrying a gun?....

I could be wrong since I never drink in public, but isn't that illegal in the state of Texas?.....
I didn't see anything in the post where he wrote he was drinking

You should try reading it again
Officer X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 18:36   #20
Officer X

Quote:

I would (and have) done the same thing...and I'm born and raised in the NE

It's not where you're from, it's how you're raised

Good job
Officer X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 18:37   #21
Illini_Glock
USAF Veteran

Quote:
Easy answer

As a transplanted 'Notherner' I'll say that you're full of it. Y'all aren't the only ones who will hold the door for a lady. I do it all the time and don't wait around to be thanked for it. Point of fact. I didn't encounter as many rude people before I moved to Alabama. Everyone there is entitled.
Illini_Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 18:38   #22
gwalchmai
Lucky Member

TV. It leveled the culture. now everyone's a sphincter.
gwalchmai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 18:42   #23
Harper

Quote:

wait, am I reading this right? You're in Texas, you're drunk, AND you're popping off rounds into the air as warning shots?....

I could be wrong since I never get hammered in public and go around negligently firing off rounds, but isn't that illegal in the state of Texas?.....
Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 18:42   #24
gjk5
Pinche Gringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear62 View Post
Manners ......... no matter where you live ... are on the decline... and that's too bad....
yep.

went to pick up a pizza at a local place and as I am completing my transaction some crunchy granola jerk came up and interrupted twice, once to get a cup and once to complain that the cup was cracked. I just looked at him and smiled and shook my head, not worth getting my knickers in a knot over. He gave me a puzzled look and pretty hippy cashier gave me a grateful smile.

I used to get angry and TELL people when they were bein rude. Now I just smile and try to show them the right way to act. I'm not the politeness police.
gjk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 18:43   #25
gjk5
Pinche Gringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harper View Post
wait, am I reading this right? You're in Texas, you're drunk, AND you're popping off rounds into the air as warning shots?....

I could be wrong since I never get hammered in public and go around negligently firing off rounds, but isn't that illegal in the state of Texas?.....
gjk5 is offline   Reply With Quote