Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-19-2013, 23:38   #1
sharpshooter

Medifast vs Nutrisystem

Planning to start a 4-5 month weight loss program to loose 50 lbs.

Have decided either Medifast or Nutrisystem. Any personal experiences? I'm leaning towards Medifast based on a friend of a friend's 80-lb loss using it.
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 00:29   #2
Travelin' Jack
Misinformed

I don't have any experience with either program.

But I what would do is figure out what you're going to do different at the end of the program to keep said weight off and just do that now.
Travelin' Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:04   #3
sharpshooter

Skinny people always say things like that. I'm trying to loose, not maintain weight.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:39   #4
GreenDrake
Rip Lips

Buy a juicer, don't buy planned meals. Two videos to check out on Hulu.com are Fat Sick and Nearly Dead and Forks Over Knives. It will change your life. It's not a fad or a program.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:25   #5
Glock30Eric
.45 ACP

Go Paleo or Primal. You'll save more money in that way than two programs. It is not hard to cook them.
Glock30Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:40   #6
Jeffrey Lebowski
Not a golfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
Skinny people always say things like that. I'm trying to loose, not maintain weight.
Another thought to consider is https://www.trainingpeaks.com
track every single calorie you eat. (or make your own excel sheet -I've done that in years past too). I did this for almost a year, but when I started in prep for a big race, I actually lost too much too fast - and I was already within normal BMI.

I'm not doing it now, but I'll pick it up again soon.

Nice thing about TP is that it forces you to evaluate every bite if you can be honest with yourself. If you are truly committed a lot of snacks will go away since it is easier to skip than record them.

Other nice thing is it tracks your macronutrient ratios. (And workouts, if you so choose).

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDrake View Post
Buy a juicer, don't buy planned meals. Two videos to check out on Hulu.com are Fat Sick and Nearly Dead and Forks Over Knives. It will change your life. It's not a fad or a program.
I haven't seen the others but Forks over Knives is good. The book (China Study) is better. I was already vegetarian before both but they do really help seal the deal!

Last edited by Jeffrey Lebowski; 03-20-2013 at 06:45..
Jeffrey Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:01   #7
Detectorist

Medifast looks to not have enough calories. I would be careful with it.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place. George Bernard Shaw
Detectorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:05   #8
GreenDrake
Rip Lips

Bottom line to me, it's a lifestyle change, diets don't work. They are crash and burn and you will find the weight again. I actually love juicing. Then again I have to watch it because in the summer I compete in bbq. My body is probably saying "yay, good for you...WHAT THE HELL?"
Old 03-20-2013, 07:24   #9
audiomechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock30Eric View Post
Go Paleo or Primal. You'll save more money in that way than two programs. It is not hard to cook them.
This.

Sent from my orifice.
audiomechanic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:33   #10
tarpleyg

Quote:
So, by your own admission, you are going to put these 50+ pounds back on at a later date or continue to eat diet milkshakes the rest of your life.

Look...I know what it's like. I've struggled with my weight all my life. It's not like I don't know WHAT to do...I'm just too lazy or unmotivated to keep doing it. I'm 50# down since August 1st and still have about 50# to go. Losing the weight is easy...it's keeping it off that's tricky.

This is my 3rd or 4th time in this rodeo. The first time I lost about 100# in 4 months but I almost literally starved myself to do it. Not a good thing. The weight stayed off as long as I hit the gym every day and ate right. Now I'm just trying to condition myself to eat the way I need to eat the rest of my life so I don't gain it back. I probably won't hit my goal until the end of the year but that's OK...I'm not in a race. Your scenario may be different for other reasons.

Start eating right today and eat less and the weight will come off. If it helps, weigh at least weekly (I weigh myself every morning and keep a record). You don't need any expensive supplements or plans. I eat pretty much what I want, just a lot less of it than before.

As much as I hate to admit it, Weight Watchers actually does work and will let you eat regular food but you have to essentially count calories (something I won't do). So, if you're just itching to burn through money to lose the weight, I'd start there. They have weekly meetings where you will be held accountable. Some people need that accountability and "judgement" from others.

Greg

tarpleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:51   #11
SMOKEin

Much like asking what's the best oil to use in your truck, a diet thread will bring out the know it all's from every camp.

I used medifast about 4 years ago with great results. However, it is very expensive and most of the food tastes like vomit.

For the past 9 months, I have focused on very low Carb, multiple small meals a day. Find what works for YOU and make it happen.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:27   #12
Travelin' Jack
Misinformed

Quote:
That's very presumptuous of you.

I'm a fat SOB that is down 25lbs and 3" on my waist with Paleo. I have 80-90lbs to go. The difference is maintaining weight at your goal requires less calories than at your current weight. If you don't make lifestyle changes you'll just put it back on.
Travelin' Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:03   #13
JMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarpleyg View Post
As much as I hate to admit it, Weight Watchers actually does work and will let you eat regular food but you have to essentially count calories (something I won't do). So, if you're just itching to burn through money to lose the weight, I'd start there. They have weekly meetings where you will be held accountable. Some people need that accountability and "judgement" from others.

Greg
He could always do the Nutrisystem/Medifast initally to drop the weight quickly and then transition to Weight Watchers to maintain the weight loss. If he doesn't transition, he'll probably see it creep back on.

Last edited by JMS; 03-20-2013 at 10:03..
JMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:26   #14
Taipei Personality

As others have said, it's a lifestyle change. I lost 83 pounds (in four months, not the way to do it, though) by modifying my eating habits, especially portion control, fresh fruits and vegetables, and cutting processed food dramatically coupled with an active lifestyle. One year later, I'm maintaining through the lifestyle changes I established.

I did not pay anyone to provide special food. I used My Fitness Pal to track calories and nutrients and concentrated on high bulk, low calorie foods. The bottom line is that it's basic physiology - expend more than you take in, work on both cardio and strength training, and show some willpower. There are no shortcuts. I also found, for me, the weight started coming off slowly but accelerated.

Was it worth it? I went from 230 pounds to 147, a 42" waist to a 30" waist, 18.5" neck to a 15" neck. I've dropped CPAP, cholesterol med and two blood pressure meds. My resting heart rate is 52 bpm and blood pressure is 115/70. I'm 54 years old and have more stamina, more strength and feel better than when I was 30. I went from trying to walk for 30 minutes 3x per week to running 3 miles every day. I'll never go back.

(W)hen I feel the hand of power lie heavy on my brow, I care but little to know who oppresses me; and I am not the more disposed to pass beneath the yoke because it is held out to me by the arms of a million men. - Alexis de Tocqueville

Last edited by Taipei Personality; 03-20-2013 at 10:32.. Reason: added more detail
Taipei Personality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:04   #15
sharpshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarpleyg View Post
So, by your own admission, you are going to put these 50+ pounds back on at a later date or continue to eat diet milkshakes the rest of your life.

Greg
Wrong. I asked which was a better diet plan for losing 50 lbs.

I never asked for advice for a permanent eating program.

I want to loose this weight as quickly and safely as possible. I realize this weight loss phase is different than the later weight maintenance phase. Both Medifast and Nutrisystem have transitional phases to help learn how to eat healthier and maintain weight. I realize I will need to make big changes ompared to what I'm doing now, mostly portion control.

But for right now, I want to burn this weight off quickly. Not space it out over a year or more.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:13   #16
pittsaero

I went on Medifast in 2004 & lost 40 pounds in about 3 months. Since then I have substituted the shakes for the garbage I would normally have eaten for breakfast or snacks & have kept the weight off. The system works but you need to maintain once you have lost the weight.
pittsaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:55   #17
tarpleyg

Quote:

I want to loose this weight as quickly and safely as possible. I realize this weight loss phase is different than the later weight maintenance phase. Both Medifast and Nutrisystem have transitional phases to help learn how to eat healthier and maintain weight. I realize I will need to make big changes ompared to what I'm doing now, mostly portion control.

But for right now, I want to burn this weight off quickly. Not space it out over a year or more.
If all you want to do is shed 50# in 3 months, it won't cost you a dime. In fact it'll save you a bunch of money and be healthier for you than those crappy milkshakes. I can tell you how to do it if you're seriously interested but it's too much to type up here if you aren't.

tarpleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:44   #18
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

Quote:

Tell you what: Send me $250 per month, eat whatever the F you want and in 18 months you will look exactly like you do now.

Those stupid systems DON'T TAKE WEIGHT OFF ANY FASTER (possibly slower) THAN DOING THE RIGHT THING DIETARILY!

I'll give you the $20 solution: Buy a book: Good Calories, Bad Calories by Taub(es?). You'll take the weight off just as fast, have 6 months to adjust to a new lifestyle (don't go cold turkey - change one or two things every couple of weeks), and have a life-long diet that will help you.

I have been down the "I think I need this to get where I need to go" times in my weight-gain/loss. They all failed. They are great marketing and zero else.

Heck - join Weight Watchers if that's what you want to do. And I DESPISE Weight Watchers.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:52   #19
sharpshooter

I didn't realize there were so many diet nazis here that like to push their own opinions without being asked. That's gng for ya.
Old 03-20-2013, 18:52   #20
GreenDrake
Rip Lips

To answer your question, I don't know on the diet plan thing. But if you did a full juice reboot, you would drop the weight just as fast at a fraction of the cost. Not to be a nazi about it, I have been there and don't want to go back, I hope you find success in whatever you choose. A healthier you is always a good thing. Get after it.
Old 03-20-2013, 18:54   #21
Restless28

Go Grok. Don't waste your money to support gimmicks.
Restless28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 19:58   #22
Detectorist

Quote:
I didn't realize there were so many diet nazis here that like to push their own opinions without being asked. That's gng for ya.
You ain't kidding!

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place. George Bernard Shaw
Detectorist is offline   Reply With Quote