Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-19-2013, 21:39   #1
Bongo Boy

Some 10mm Loads Data from Today

I posted this data over at handloads.com but thought there might be some interest here as well.

The 10 Ring

All strings were 25 rds with the exception of a few 24 rd strings. No comments on accuracy--my rear sight adjustment screw backed out and it took me a while to figure out what was going on. Plus the only screwdriver I had in the bag was too thick to fix the issue.

Significant primer flattening on the XTP loads, very moderate flattening on the other hotter ones. All cases ejected about 25 ft with extraordinary consistency--so I got that goin' for me.

LSWC - Lead semi-wadcutter
JHP - Montana Gold jacketed hollow-point
PHP - Rainier Ballistics plated hollow-point
RNFP - Round-nose flat-point (Accurate Molds)
SWC - Lead semi-wadcutter (same as LSWC)
TC - Lead truncated cone (Lee molds)
XTP - Hornady XTP

Last edited by Bongo Boy; 03-20-2013 at 08:42..
Bongo Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 23:26   #2
Meathead9

Did you hand weigh the 800X charges, or did you figure out a way to get it to meter consistently? Thanks for the data, I'm always interested to see what other guys are loading.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:50   #3
Bongo Boy

Hand-weighed individually on the 800X. I've been thinking of trying to 'hand meter' this stuff lately, using a long, small-diameter chamber--maybe made from a clear plastic pen housing. I've got to think it can be done, if you have just the right shape to reduce error.

With the Hornady speed trickler, which I find to be an amazing tool, I found that I could get better control of the 800X by propping up the metal base so that the trickle tube was a bit closer to horizontal--not sloped downward so steeply. This tends to dump fewer grains per turn, so you can creep up on that target value without overshooting it so much.

What a PITA.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:17   #4
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
I've always trickled-up my 800x stuff ... A pain, yes.
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:44   #5
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

BongGoBoy, thanks for posting the numbers. I have always wondered about the SR4756's performance for the 10mm. I've push a lot of Blue Dot over the years and have played hard with the 800 and LongShot more recently! Yes, I too hand weigh each and every load, but I want to see the beam scale to be sure, even though the Uniflow throws it really close.
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 20:28   #6
Bongo Boy

I think SR4756 is a fantastic choice in 40 and 45, but based on this data I conclude carefully-measured 800X is the performance leader btw the two in 10mm.

I've got a bunch of HS-6 I got mainly for 10mm, so that's likely going to be next up, and if there's ever any powder to order I can see myself get a pound of Power Pistol--but, I can't argue with how 800X fills the case and I think I can do better on charge weight uniformity for a small handful of SD loads. Once I get the rear sight all sorted out, I hope to do a 'run for record' with a few of the better looking loads.

Last edited by Bongo Boy; 03-20-2013 at 20:30..