SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 12:00   #1
uaengineer

Ammo gouging rant

I know people can get emotional about this, and someone will blame basic economics for this or blame me for complaining about it, but I think we should call out and keep in mind some of the gouging that is still going on. It annoys me personally that the hobby and sport that I love is trying to go the direction of being a rich man's pastime. Some have praised certain online retailers for not gouging when, in fact, they are. Some people may disagree, but I gauge the current price of ammo based off the stickers at Walmart and Academy, and I have yet to see there the ridiculous prices that some of the "non-gougers" are charging online. They may have different distributors than Walmart and Academy, but just calling it like I see it. In just the past 5 days at Walmart, I scored several 100 round boxes of Federal Champion .45 ACP for $32.17 apiece. You can't beat that anywhere unless you're a reloader. That's right, 32 cents a round for brass cased .45 ACP. I prefer the large primed stuff like Winchester (Walmart also had this for $40/100 up from $36/100), but I'll take this anyday. I also scored boxes of Tula .45 and .380 for about $15 a box. I scored several 100 round boxes of WWB 9mm for $24 and change, and I had just missed out on the Federal 100 round packs that are still $21 each. About a dollar and a half higher than what they were a few months ago, but still can't beat it anywhere. There was no .22LR to be found, but checking their stickers, the prices have barely changed.

I have seen sites like SGAmmo lauded for their non-gouging during the course of the panic, but when I saw them selling Winchester 555 .22LR bulk pack and Remington 525 .22LR bulk pack for $40 apiece one afternoon, I'm sorry, but that's flat out gouging, defend them all you want. I used to buy from them, and they have fast shipping but not seeing giving them much business anymore. The same WWB I bought for $24 they were selling for $35 plus shipping.

I used to buy bulk ammo from Target Sports USA even though their shipping is horribly slow but won't be anymore. The price of Remington .22LR Bucket of Bullets was normally $64.99. Over one weekend, the price sneaked up to $79.99. Today, the price for a damn bucket of golden bullets is $159.95. That's effing BS. Their shipping was already terrible and have heard of customers being treated rudely through email, but this just gives me another reason to not buy from them again. I saw the same bucket of bullets in Gander Mountain for $65 apiece a couple weeks ago. I bought a case of Aguila Subsonics from Target Sports USA a couple months ago at normal price, but I don't know if .22LR production has just stopped or something, but I can't justify paying 15 cents a round for ammo that is dirt ass cheap to make. I'm sorry, has DHS bought up 500 trillion rounds of .22LR for "training" so that we can't go shoot coke cans and squirrels anymore? If so, haven't heard about that one.

I used to buy a decent bit of ammo online because they were always cheaper than the LGS. Now the LGS is actually reasonable and online retailers are gouging. And say what you want about Walmart, whether you like them or not, I got a good deal there and you can too. All of this ammo stayed on their shelves for at least 2 days or more when each of the shipments came in so it wasn't even like there was some mad rush for it. If you take the time and talk to some people in the stores, you can put yourself in a decent position to find some deals. It's out there, folks...don't give in to the online retailers or folks on Armslist trying to make a buck off you. Be part of the solution, not the problem. They'll only keep charging that much for it as long as you keep buying it. Oh yeah, forgot to mention the 1000 round cases of Sellier & Bellot 9mm that LuckyGunner was selling for $789 before shipping. That's right, 80 plus cents a round for cheap hardball 9mm, and this sold out within minutes. Don't know if the stupidity of people pisses you off, but it sure does me. It kills me seeing people that don't have the money opening up credit cards to buy inflated ammo and guns. Everyone should be able to enjoy taking their kid out to shoot without having to give their right arm to do it. I know demand is up and supply is down. I'm an engineer, not an economist, but we should be wise of retailers who cover up their gouging with claims of no supply. Rant over, flame away.
Old 03-20-2013, 13:09   #2

General Firearms Forum

Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think.
Old 03-20-2013, 13:35   #3
CLM Number 101
Monkeyboy

Holy long winded novel, Batman!

Politicians and judges who voted for, and supported, Obamacare are traitors to the country!
Con, the first 3 letters in Congress.
UN, the first 2 letters in UNnecessary.
Old 03-20-2013, 13:36   #4
uaengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427 View Post
General Firearms Forum
So how does that S&B shoot? Dirty?
Old 03-20-2013, 14:30   #5
captcurly

uaengineer, Do you feel better now? Hell, I rant on a regular basis. As rants go and complaints this was a good one. I am glad I could listen and I appreciate a good rant. All the best to you.

It is all about shot placement.
Old 03-20-2013, 14:40   #6
uaengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by captcurly View Post
uaengineer, Do you feel better now? Hell, I rant on a regular basis. As rants go and complaints this was a good one. I am glad I could listen and I appreciate a good rant. All the best to you.
It's not so much of a rant as it is just trying to help people. A lot of people read the news the other day and are still stinging that they're stuck with overpriced guns and ammo, and the stinging has grown into an inflamed mega case of butthurt. Gotta love it.
Old 03-20-2013, 16:28   #7
Darkangel1846

If venting makes you feel better then its ok.
Old 03-20-2013, 16:40   #8
Nakanokalronin
JMB & MTK

General Firearms Forum
Old 03-20-2013, 18:19   #9
rgregoryb
Sapere aude

so, if you owned a 5$ gold piece you would sell it for $5, not what it is worth today? Price gouging only applies to items required for daily existence...not hobbies.

"demography is destiny"
Old 03-20-2013, 18:27   #10
Cole125
Silver Membership

Buy a pellet gun and give it a few months for supply to catch up with demand.
Old 03-20-2013, 18:44   #11
TxGun

Eh, I agree with rgregoryb...I don't really consider it "gouging" either. You can simply choose not to buy and go somewhere else.

This current situation is probably temporary, but regardless, ammo prices are likely to remain on a steep upward trend, as they have for years. Anti-gun legislators will add taxes and regulations to manufacturers whenever they can and, of course, those costs are always passed on to the consumer.

Last edited by TxGun; 03-20-2013 at 18:51..
Old 03-20-2013, 18:56   #12
Soonerbldr

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgregoryb View Post
so, if you owned a 5$ gold piece you would sell it for $5, not what it is worth today? Price gouging only applies to items required for daily existence...not hobbies.
Completely different. Gold is a precious metal that's had it value increase due to the devaluation of the dollar.
Closed Thread