SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:52   #26
Rabid Rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang2 View Post
I am a plumber and have been working on this kind of thing for 39 years now and I also live in the country and have a well and I DO shock mine twice a year. If you need proof as to why pull the pump an take a look. I have see n everything from worms to dead decaying snakes wrapped around the suction of pumps. It is a cheap easy thing to do and well worth it for the health of my wife and I.
If I had dead things in my well I'd get some kind of filter systems and a UV treatment.
Rabid Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:22   #27
railfancwb

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollowHead View Post
We haven't been on a well since '96. That was the year one of my idiot neighbors decided to bury a horse in his yard against county regulations and took out the entire aquafier supplying the subdivision. HH
My county has an arrangement with a recycling company to haul dead livestock off if the farmer will drag it to the roadside and call to have it picked up. Failing that, buzzards will make short work of a dead steer etc just as they do a road kill deer.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 03-20-2013, 06:09   #28
md2lgyk

I am on a well (about 700 feet deep). After it was drilled, the Health Department provided instructions on how to shock it before collecting a water sample to test. Never been shocked since then. We do have a UV purifier, but that's just because I wanted it.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:30   #29
badge315

I have an artesian well with a continuous flow of 20psi, so I don't think I could shock it even if I wanted to. But it sure is nice having water pressure even when the power goes out.

- The Loc-Nar
badge315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:41   #30
F_G

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorper View Post
To a certain extent it depends on how deep the well is. I recently moved and when we had a well in our country house it was only 47 feet deep. I had it checked occasionally for bacteria levels and they were never high. I was told it was runoff water and therefor it was exposed to sun and air more than a well say, hundreds of feet deep, so the chance of bacteria is higher. It had an 8 inch casing and I always kept a cover on the top.
This is actually backwards. Shallow wells are often under the influence of surface water and have a much higher propensity for bacterial contamination. Shocking a well is pretty much useless, it will only disinfect at that point and time (unless you're pouring chlorine down the well daily). And how do you control dosing? Most system contamination usually comes from the distribution system in a ground water system or a poorly designed wellhead protection. Your wellhead should be above grade, good cement seal tight around the casing. If you suspect bacterial contamination you should install a post chlorination system. Bacti tests are only $25, but they need to be drawn correctly to rule out any contamination at the point the sample is being taken.

And if you are finding snakes and such around the pump intake, you really need to take a long hard look at your wellhead protection plan. Pouring chlorine down the well is only putting a bandaid on a much larger problem.

Last edited by F_G; 03-20-2013 at 08:46..
F_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:46   #31
HollowHead
Firm member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCounty View Post
I've heard lore about that - how long does that supposedly last? I've heard for years but it rang BS to me.
Don't know, as we all tapped into municiple. The line at the street was always there and insurance paid for the tap-in. HH

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.
HollowHead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:51   #32
HollowHead
Firm member

Quote:
Originally Posted by railfancwb View Post
My county has an arrangement with a recycling company to haul dead livestock off if the farmer will drag it to the roadside and call to have it picked up. Failing that, buzzards will make short work of a dead steer etc just as they do a road kill deer.

Here, you have to arrange and pay for haulage to the county landfill and pay a disposal fee. You can also get a free permit from DEQ to bury on your own land if you meet their guidelines. HH

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.
HollowHead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:00   #33
skorper
harborrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by F_G View Post
This is actually backwards. Shallow wells are often under the influence of surface water and have a much higher propensity for bacterial contamination. Shocking a well is pretty much useless, it will only disinfect at that point and time (unless you're pouring chlorine down the well daily). And how do you control dosing? Most system contamination usually comes from the distribution system in a ground water system or a poorly designed wellhead protection. Your wellhead should be above grade, good cement seal tight around the casing. If you suspect bacterial contamination you should install a post chlorination system. Bacti tests are only $25, but they need to be drawn correctly to rule out any contamination at the point the sample is being taken.

And if you are finding snakes and such around the pump intake, you really need to take a long hard look at your wellhead protection plan. Pouring chlorine down the well is only putting a bandaid on a much larger problem.
Well that is exactly what my county health dept. inspector told me. Shallow wells are often under the influence of surface water and have a much higher propensity for bacterial contamination. That was the gist of my post.

I have never shocked my well but was told I should. I was also told that better yet, install a post chlorination system. I have had the water tested, and it showed no bacterial contamination problems. Just the luck of the draw I supposed. The thing they did find though, is salt. I lived on a state route that was heavily salted in the winter and over the years that contaminated my well. We had a bottled water cooler/heater for drinking but used the well water for everything else. I can absolutely see how pouring a bunch of bleach down the well would cause problems on it's own and not really solve the overall problem.

In the area I was in, 75 feet or more seemed to be the cutoff point where surface water would not be a problem. Wells hundreds of feet deep would in theory be OK.

I've seen the quiet dead; and I've heard the living moan. This world's no place to live in, but it's home.
skorper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 14:56   #34
F_G

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorper View Post
Well that is exactly what my county health dept. inspector told me. Shallow wells are often under the influence of surface water and have a much higher propensity for bacterial contamination. That was the gist of my post.

I have never shocked my well but was told I should. I was also told that better yet, install a post chlorination system. I have had the water tested, and it showed no bacterial contamination problems. Just the luck of the draw I supposed. The thing they did find though, is salt. I lived on a state route that was heavily salted in the winter and over the years that contaminated my well. We had a bottled water cooler/heater for drinking but used the well water for everything else. I can absolutely see how pouring a bunch of bleach down the well would cause problems on it's own and not really solve the overall problem.

In the area I was in, 75 feet or more seemed to be the cutoff point where surface water would not be a problem. Wells hundreds of feet deep would in theory be OK.
You're right, I think I may have misinterpreted your post. Yes, usually, but not always deeper is better. Post chlorination is the way to go if you suspect any type of contamination. UV is good at the point of disinfection, but leaves no residual in the event of contamination further down the line. I have dealt with hundreds of wells and have never shocked one yet, but the systems I have worked on we installed some sort of post disinfection.

F_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 19:41   #35
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

We had a massive flood several years ago at the cabin. Tested the well after. Water was just fine.
Old 03-20-2013, 20:03   #36
Kingarthurhk
Isaiah 53:4-9

I have the well filtered comming into the house, and filtered throught the fridge yet again. However, they do recommend putting an ammount of bleach through time to time and letting all the faucets and hoses run for a time until all the bleach is out.

The septic tank is far enough from the well I am not worried. The only fecal contamination would come from the squirels. But, they get an occassional dose of lead poisoning when they get into the fruit trees or into the dog food. Which is ironic, because the dog turns them into dog food soon thereafter.

No, I don't eat squirrel, but I know plenty of people who do. To me, they are just a fuzzy rat with a bigger tail.
Old 03-20-2013, 20:44   #37
XshooterX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBO View Post
The Okie Corral
I get it.

XshooterX is offline   Reply With Quote