Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:47   #1
mustang6112
Watching

Mystery deepens in man's death in TIA elevator shaft

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news...pens_in_m.html

"Im a sheepdog. I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf. The sheep hate the sheepdog. He looks like the wolf and has a capacity for violence.
mustang6112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 13:22   #2
Adjuster

Interesting? Its an airport so there will be hundreds of camera views.

/
Adjuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 13:28   #3
mustang6112
Watching

Last I heard, they had video of him getting off on the 7th floor and then they found him in the pit a couple hours later. Strange.

"Im a sheepdog. I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf. The sheep hate the sheepdog. He looks like the wolf and has a capacity for violence.
Old 03-18-2013, 13:29   #4
Santa CruZin
RIP Mr. Mayor

Meth sale went bad on top of the parking garage?
Old 03-18-2013, 13:29   #5
Patchman
Florist

It seems to happen fairly frequently that somebody would walk into an empty elevator shaft. Tragic. But never assume when the elevator door opens that there's an elevator car waiting there.

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 13:30   #6
cysoto
Gone Shooting!

It's easy, the girlfriend did it! There, mystery solved.
Old 03-18-2013, 13:33   #7
Adjuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchman View Post
It seems to happen fairly frequently that somebody would walk into an empty elevator shaft. Tragic. But never assume when the elevator door opens that there's an elevator car waiting there.

He was supposedly on the top floor. If he stepped into the shaft he should have landed on the car and not at the bottom of the shaft. Maybe there was room for him to fall to the side of the car and land at the bottom of the shaft.

/
Old 03-18-2013, 13:41   #8
mustang6112
Watching

My BIL is an elevator expert, I'll ask him what he thinks and "accidental" senario could have been.

Old 03-18-2013, 14:37   #9
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Years ago one of the men I worked with went out on a property inspection at an empty high rise office building. It took the police almost 2 days to finally find his body at the bottom of a non-working elevator shaft. Apparently the doors opened and shut when the button was pushed; but, the car, itself, hadn't remained stationary after he exited, out, onto the floor he was working on. He did what most of us did: Walked around, looking here and there, while checking off items on the ubiquitous clipboard that we, all, carried during building examinations.

In my mind's eye I could just see him walking, writing, pushing the elevator button for the car, and then automatically stepping inside as soon as the doors opened. He must have just been finishing that last note when he suddenly realized that he was standing on thin air! He was a likeable fellow; and I felt bad for his wife and son. About the only consolation they had was that his death must have been very quick. It was a good reminder to the rest of us not to allow ourselves to become too distracted while working at strange buildings out in the field.

Reminds me of the time I was called to a large (and very deep) stone quarry. I checked in with the guard at the gate, got my pass, and as I started to drive off the guard shouted at me, 'Watch the Utes!' So there I was driving along wondering, 'What, the Hell, is a, 'Ute'?' when, all of a sudden the earth began shaking, and a set of giant wheels, two or three stories high rumbled past the front of my car! All I heard was a loud roar as a wall of chartreuse green metal raced across my windshield! (Thank God I decided to stop for that ridiculous looking, bent over, stop sign in the middle of an apparently empty stone quarry!)

As that rumbling mountain of chartreuse green metal roared off into the distance I peeked out the car window to stare at the word, 'Euclid' two stories up in the air and rapidly disappearing away in a cloud of dust. I remember thinking to myself, 'Humph!' 'So, that's a, 'Ute'!' When I got to the main office at the top of the last of a collection of (rapidly disappearing) mountains, the manager asked me, 'Did you have any trouble with the, 'Utes'?' Naturally I replied, 'Naa, 'piece of cake'!' So he tells me, 'Good!' 'Last month we lost a guy like you.' 'The, 'Ute' flattened his vehicle like a pancake!'

Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 16:38   #10
BEANCOUNTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjuster View Post
He was supposedly on the top floor. If he stepped into the shaft he should have landed on the car and not at the bottom of the shaft.../
I though the same thing, but as it turns out, there were two levels above him.

One of the news reports suggested it would be difficult to force open an elevator's doors. It does seem that is one of two logical possibilities. The other is that somehow the elevator door opened with the car on a higher level and he simply walked or fell into the shaft. If so, why wasn't he carrying his cell phone or luggage when he fell? (They were later found on the 7th level.)
--Will Hayden
BEANCOUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 17:45   #11
Adjuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEANCOUNTER View Post
I though the same thing, but as it turns out, there were two levels above him.

One of the news reports suggested it would be difficult to force open an elevator's doors. It does seem that is one of two logical possibilities. The other is that somehow the elevator door opened with the car on a higher level and he simply walked or fell into the shaft. If so, why wasn't he carrying his cell phone or luggage when he fell? (They were later found on the 7th level.)

Now that is some interesting facts, or presumed facts. Need to get CSI Miami on this. Caine and his team will get it figured out!

/
Old 03-18-2013, 17:47   #12
*ASH*

The Okie Corral
Old 03-18-2013, 17:53   #13
THEPOPE
Nibb

Suicide ?

Jumper ?

I'm out ?

fullest extent of the LAW...
THEPOPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 18:31   #14
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

So they have video of him getting off, but then he teleports to the bottom of the shaft? Nah.

And if he's visiting, why is he going to the parking garage?
Old 03-18-2013, 18:42   #15
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Simple.

He failed to realize the gravity of the situation.
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 19:02   #16
Adjuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis in MA View Post
So they have video of him getting off, but then he teleports to the bottom of the shaft? Nah.

And if he's visiting, why is he going to the parking garage?

LOL I don't know if its weird or not but apparently pretty common. I am from Tampa. Everytime I was at the airport I parked in the garage and always went to the rooftop floor. Amazing views from up there.

/
Old 03-18-2013, 19:10   #17
*ASH*

Quote:
LOL I don't know if its weird or not but apparently pretty common. I am from Tampa. Everytime I was at the airport I parked in the garage and always went to the rooftop floor. Amazing views from up there.

/
IT EVEN SAYS in article he likes to go to the top floors to look at the views and smoke a cig .
Old 03-18-2013, 19:12   #18
BEANCOUNTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis in MA View Post
...And if he's visiting, why is he going to the parking garage?
No one seems to know for sure. According to several news reports, the deceased's father said that his son often went to the top floors of places he visited to smoke and check out the view.

Parking levels at this airport are 4-9 and he stopped on 7, so he didn't go to the top level where the view was much better.
--Will Hayden
BEANCOUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 19:15   #19
Patchman
Florist

Quote:

/

So where you from Friday midnight to 4:00 AM Saturday morning?

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 19:26   #20
kf4zra
I miss ya Murph

Send a message via AIM to kf4zra Send a message via Yahoo to kf4zra

I use those elevators at least 2x a week.

I arrived home on sat at approx 2pm or so, and noticed that it took forever for the elevators to come down to baggage claim (floor 1). I noticed that there were 3 of them stuck on floor 1 and the doors not opening, like they were bypassed.

When I departed the next day for my next job (sun approx 2pm), the elevators were back to normal.

I don't think i have ever taken them to floor 7 since those are for short term parking and I am always gone for several days.

I'll be back in em on sat again, wonder if there will be any "please ensure the car is present before entering" warning stickers on the doors

Happiness is a warm AK

If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."
kf4zra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 19:29   #21
kf4zra
I miss ya Murph

Send a message via AIM to kf4zra Send a message via Yahoo to kf4zra

Quote:
Interesting? Its an airport so there will be hundreds of camera views.

/
I only remember cameras on the entrance of the elevators at baggage claim on level 1, ticketing on level 2 and gates on level 3. Can't say I remember them on level 5 which is short term parking and the tram over to long term.

floors 1, 2, & 3 are all "inside" floors meaning they open to the interior of the airport buildings, where the other floors are parking garages above the airport buildings.

Happiness is a warm AK

If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."
kf4zra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 19:31   #22
wjv

he was punked by the Japanese fake ghost in the elevator gag, had a heart attack, and died. . .

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -
wjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:12   #23
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kf4zra View Post
I only remember cameras on the entrance of the elevators at baggage claim on level 1, ticketing on level 2 and gates on level 3. Can't say I remember them on level 5 which is short term parking and the tram over to long term.

floors 1, 2, & 3 are all "inside" floors meaning they open to the interior of the airport buildings, where the other floors are parking garages above the airport buildings.
But the article says they have video of him getting of on 7 and then he wuz ded. Assuming cameras at EVERY floor's elevator lobby, how did he teleport to inside of the shaft?? I think there is more going on that they aren't reporting.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:41   #24
mustang6112
Watching

Short update on local news last night. Locking mechanism on the shaft doors was broken but they are still not sure if the doors opened accidentaly or were pried open.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:03   #25
Anon1

I saw an updated report that said that the guy *was* found on top of the elevator car.

They found him because people got into the elevator and there was broken glass all over the floor. Employees checked it out and wondered how it had broken out of the ceiling of the elevator and subsequently found the body up on top.

Also, surveillance video shows the dead guy stumbling off of the airplane and other people report that he was pretty messed up both on and off the flight. A Xanax bottle was found in his pocket.

Drinking + Xanax = +

http://www2.tbo.com/news/news/2013/m...eat-ar-664885/

Last edited by Anon1; 03-21-2013 at 10:07..
Anon1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
elevator death