Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-22-2013, 22:10   #26
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I went to high school for a couple of years in San Antonio and I worked at a restaurant on the Riverwalk when I was in college there, after the Army. I love that city. I love the culture there and it is more than just Mex and Tex-Mex. the SA area has a large German cultural presence. It is a vibrant and diverse area. No town parties quite like San Antonio. Fiesta Week rocks. I have a lot of fond memories of that city. Eric
Indeed, I didnt really get to the kickass stuff.

San Antonio does the block party on an epic scale...and the City sponsers it. We like to close down parts of town, or a University campus (oyster bake...mmmmmm) and get tore the hell up.

The Texas Hill Country is about the most amazing place on Earth. It is indeed German influenced. Some of that food is a beautiful thing and so is the beer. Go to places like Fredricksberg, pick a fine place, get some beer and get tore the hell up.

If you dont know what toobing or tubing is....you will and it will change the way you think about summer. The river systems we have here are real lazy and fairly scenic. This makes for an amazing way to spend the day and get tore the hell up.

Cowboy nightlife (really redneck and Tejano nightlife) is a thing of beauty. The women are quite tasty and of course, you get some beer and get tore the hell up.

Downtown San Antonio is really interesting. The River Walk is a sight to behold and the Alamo is humbling. You can wander around the River Walk all night long while drinking and getting tore the hell up.

Year round golf on amazing courses

Year round motorsports (we never have to winterize anything) and we have some wicked fine motorcycle roads.

Lake fishing everywhere

Lake boating everywhere

Of course, you are just 2 hours from the Gulf and there are some real wonderful places to be found there.

You are 2 hours from Mexico. That used to be epic. Heading down to the boarder for a night was something we did...a lot but not so much anymore. It is a real war zone now.

We dont have mountains but there are some rolling hills.

People are fairly tolerant here.

Most major music tours stop here, we are the 7th largest city in the country and about the 25th largest metro area.

Texas has pretty good gun laws and people "get" guns here. Everyone has one.

Texas has some libertarian leanings and I think it is getting stronger.

A man with an ok and average honest job can buy a little land with a little home on it if he wants. You wont live in the middle of town but you dont have to go that far out.

If you want to find trouble...there is plenty of it but if you dont go looking for it, things are pretty smooth here.

Fiesta Texas.

Sea World.

Lots of city parks

Some of the most impressive gun shows you have ever seen...and a lot of them. We have a major gun show every month, and ultra major gun show every 4 months and little shows here and there as well.

We are starting to get a nice little collection of brew pubs (if you are into that, I am)

Mexicans like Metal (I like metal) thus we have a little Metal scene here.

If you know where to look, there is good food of all kinds...but again, not a lot of it, you have to know where to look. There is a Mexican place to eat on every corner, and another Mexican place on top of that, while a Mexican roach coach follows you everywhere you go. When you get home, you will find that someone opened a Mexican place in your driveway. I crap you not...you'll see, remember, everryone here is fat...even our commercials joke about it. "My ring doesnt git anymore...might have something to do with being close to Mexican food...."

And much much more.

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon

Last edited by Rabbi; 03-22-2013 at 22:13..
Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 22:34   #27
BEER
bad example

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
If you dont know what toobing or tubing is....you will and it will change the way you think about summer. The river systems we have here are real lazy and fairly scenic. This makes for an amazing way to spend the day and get tore the hell up.
i mentioned it and rabbi mentioned it. now i want to expound on it.

"toobin" involves you and as many friends as you can muster takiing off friday afternoon after work and heading for whatever campground or chunk of property you can find as close to the river as possible. once there you set up camp, get comfortable and you start drinking.

saturday morning you wake up hung over, gather everybody up and head for the tube rental station. everybody pays for their personal tubes, you all pool your money for however many cooler tubes you need, and you get on the shuttle. the shuttle then takes you down to the drop off point along the river.

once there you load your coolers into the cooler tubes and float them. then you and your friends all stand around for 15 minutes daring each other to be the first one into the water knowing that even though it looks perfect it is going to be colder than a witches tit in a brass bra. after 15 minutes one of you will shove one of the others into the water and chaos will ensue until you are all settled into your tubes with beers in hand. yes it really is acceptable to start drinking at 8-9am on a toobin trip. actually it's expected if not encouraged.

for the next 3-6 hours you will float down a river at the mercy of mother nature while getting plastered, meeting new people, possibly dodging illegal substances, and discovering that Texas has cops in hip waders with blunted gaff hooks and pellet guns stationed along said rivers. (yes they will shoot your tube and pull you out of the river if you are a complete idiot) or so i've heard.

after this grand adventure you will reach your pick up point where you will get out of the river ( most likely inebriated and very very sunburnt) where a shuttle will pick you up and take you back to your original campsite where you will shower, eat, and maintain your buzz while you hang out and meet even more new friends. if you're hardcore you'll start the whole thing over again sunday morning and leave for home once you hit camp at the end of the day, but that takes a special kind of dumbass. ask me how i know. lol

now don't get me wrong, "toobin" is a family affair so you can drink as little or as much as you want, BUT, it is also a college kid/adult thing. (typically the comal river is more family oriented while the gaudalupe is more college kids/partying adults)

regardless of how you want to go about it, a toobin weekend in Texas is something you really should experience at least once in your life.
Old 03-23-2013, 16:35   #28
geofri
Lifetime Membership
Poikilotherm™

Rabbi:
Do you recommend this "getting tore the hell up"

Beer:
I don't know If I should believe you about this "toobing " thing you speak of..

geofri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 16:41   #29
geofri
Lifetime Membership
Poikilotherm™

*I hope my short response didn't indicate a lack of interest or appreciation. Read both your replies twice over. I am interested. A lot.

Both of you make it sound like The Place To Live.

I've let my mind wander, and I'm already loosing worth ethic, and thinking about the 60-90hr workweeks that I'll most likely find.. I'm not sure I'll be able to fit work into my schedule of toobing, being torn, and snake hunting, and mamasitas .. :ROFL:

Last edited by geofri; 03-23-2013 at 16:42..
Old 03-23-2013, 17:14   #30
geofri
Lifetime Membership
Poikilotherm™

Quote:
Originally Posted by G30SF/F-250 View Post
No, they refused to pay.
That was a napoleon dynamite reference, if you didn't catch it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
Another thing to look out for is inverse racism. It's rampant. You have to use that to your advantage. I can't explain it but it helps if you speak Spanish. I mean REAL Spanish and not the Tex-Mex "Spanglish" that is what is spoken here as a result of the pathetic education system. They have literally showered south TX with Fed monies and the ignorance is staggering if not mind numbing to say the least.

Be prepared to be angered. Why? You will see LOTS of Latinos with grocery carts filled to the gunwales with delicacies and pay for it with a SNAP card (Fed. Assistance) and then hop in a huge new SUV with Mexico plates. 99% of the people you open a door for will not say "thank you." They also drive like old people make love as well.

I often cringe when I think that this is the future of a Balkanized USA coming soon. Here it is like Colonial Africa after the Brits withdrew. Corruption, chaos & ignorance reign supreme and all subsidized by the American taxpayer.
Meh.. I'm used to seeing food stamp abuse. happens here too.

Now the Spanish... I took a summers worth of lessons, and spanish l in college, but I'd need to learn from scratch pretty much.. I've forgotten just about all of it.

Old 03-23-2013, 17:58   #31
ddbtoth

You'll get lots of practice with your maid.

"Thank you, but I would rather die behind the chemical sheds."
ddbtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 18:03   #32
geofri
Lifetime Membership
Poikilotherm™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddbtoth View Post
You'll get lots of practice with your maid.

Not sure about that.. although maid service is probably pretty cheap?

Any idea on a rough number one could expect to pay for renting a one bedroom apartment, or even a small 1-2 bedroom house in a "non-ghetto" area?

Old 03-23-2013, 18:07   #33
geofri
Lifetime Membership
Poikilotherm™

Quote:
Originally Posted by G36's Rule View Post
There is some fine fishing on the Texas Gulf coast, don't let anyone tell you different. Spear fishing will take a bit more boat to get you to good water, but it is do-able.

You have to understand that there are a lot of rivers dumping sandy fresh water into the Gulf of Mexico along the Texas coast. That makes it look dirty, but the fish don't care!
That's what I want to hear. I have some more looking-into to do, but I've read of at least one guy who does a lot of shore diving around Corpus Christi.. so there is hope!

Gonna be a while before I can afford a boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G36's Rule View Post
Meh, if the OP plans on getting into the Oil Patch he will be around more Rednecks than Mexicans/Hispanics...
What about redneck mexicans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I went to high school for a couple of years in San Antonio and I worked at a restaurant on the Riverwalk when I was in college there, after the Army. I love that city. I love the culture there and it is more than just Mex and Tex-Mex. the SA area has a large German cultural presence. It is a vibrant and diverse area. No town parties quite like San Antonio. Fiesta Week rocks. I have a lot of fond memories of that city. Eric
Sweet. This is really sounding like a cool place!

Old 03-23-2013, 22:31   #34
BEER
bad example

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofri View Post
*I hope my short response didn't indicate a lack of interest or appreciation. Read both your replies twice over. I am interested. A lot.

Both of you make it sound like The Place To Live.

I've let my mind wander, and I'm already loosing worth ethic, and thinking about the 60-90hr workweeks that I'll most likely find.. I'm not sure I'll be able to fit work into my schedule of toobing, being torn, and snake hunting, and mamasitas .. :ROFL:
that'll be about right, we have a pretty stiff work ethic down here in Texas, and you will probably wind up working for weeks straight some times, BUT, when you do finally get some time off there is absolutely no shortage of fun or trouble to be had no matter what your tastes are.

if you want to work your ass off and then party your ass off we have a spot for that. if you want to work your ass off and then just weigh down a hammock and watch the world go by we have a spot for that too.

as far as "play time" goes the Texas speedometer goes from 0 to 60 however fast you want it to.
Old 03-24-2013, 16:25   #35
geofri
Lifetime Membership
Poikilotherm™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEER View Post
that'll be about right, we have a pretty stiff work ethic down here in Texas, and you will probably wind up working for weeks straight some times, BUT, when you do finally get some time off there is absolutely no shortage of fun or trouble to be had no matter what your tastes are.

if you want to work your ass off and then party your ass off we have a spot for that. if you want to work your ass off and then just weigh down a hammock and watch the world go by we have a spot for that too.

as far as "play time" goes the Texas speedometer goes from 0 to 60 however fast you want it to.
That sounds just perfect!

Old 03-27-2013, 23:21   #36
Texas357
CLM Number 224
Señor Member

Unemployment was bad here before the whatever-they're-calling it now, so it didn't actually get worse for South Texas. With Eagle-Ford, it actually improved some (except sales tax revenue is way down).

If you look at cost of living index, San Antonio is 1.0, most major cities are a little or a lot higher - and Corpus Christi is actually lower.

"I nominate you for President of Texas!" - Dr. Octagon
"I accept your nomination, and thank you for your vote."- Texas357
Texas357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 00:14   #37
scwine
It was me!

Eagle Ford worker here 3 nights a week. The paychecks are nice. New Braunfels the rest of the time. Life is good.
scwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:40   #38
Texas357
CLM Number 224
Señor Member

Also, when he Eagle-Ford jobs slow down, there'll probably be a price drop o lots of small rural vacation properties. Cycle we've seen before.

"I nominate you for President of Texas!" - Dr. Octagon
"I accept your nomination, and thank you for your vote."- Texas357
Texas357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 21:12   #39
geofri
Lifetime Membership
Poikilotherm™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas357 View Post
Unemployment was bad here before the whatever-they're-calling it now, so it didn't actually get worse for South Texas. With Eagle-Ford, it actually improved some (except sales tax revenue is way down).

If you look at cost of living index, San Antonio is 1.0, most major cities are a little or a lot higher - and Corpus Christi is actually lower.
1.0..what scale is that?
All the cost of living websites i've seen have higher numbers.. San Antonio, is a "95.7" on infoplease.com.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scwine View Post
Eagle Ford worker here 3 nights a week. The paychecks are nice. New Braunfels the rest of the time. Life is good.
What exactly do you do, if you don't mind sharing?
3 nights.. you work part time, or do long shifts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas357 View Post
Also, when he Eagle-Ford jobs slow down, there'll probably be a price drop o lots of small rural vacation properties. Cycle we've seen before.
hmm.. by then maybe I'd have enough cash saved up to buy some property

Old 03-29-2013, 21:28   #40
geminicricket
NRA Life member

Don't come down with "no job" unless you've got 6 months living expenses ready to spend looking for that job. If you have a valuable skill or credential, you'll find something fairly soon.
geminicricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 21:33   #41
geminicricket
NRA Life member

Quote:

Not sure about that.. although maid service is probably pretty cheap?

Any idea on a rough number one could expect to pay for renting a one bedroom apartment, or even a small 1-2 bedroom house in a "non-ghetto" area?
Slightly less than ghetto will cost about $800/month
geminicricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 21:49   #42
scwine
It was me!

Quote:

What exactly do you do, if you don't mind sharing?
3 nights.. you work part time, or do long shifts?
I sell drilling fluid additives that go down hole for a very small family owned company.
scwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 21:56   #43
geofri
Lifetime Membership
Poikilotherm™

Quote:
Originally Posted by scwine View Post
I sell drilling fluid additives that go down hole for a very small family owned company.
Hiring?

No but really..

Old 03-29-2013, 22:24   #44
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Hiring?

No but really..
If you have a CDL you will be working as soon as the paper work clears. If you have a CDL with a Haz Mat endorsement, you will probably be working before then

Seriously. There are jobs here. You can find work starting as soon as you get here. Just know, if you are going to play the Eagle Ford game, The work you will find will be hard work...and there is no where to live. (massive housing shortage in the Eagle Ford) and again, if you have a CDL...you are good to guy.

Private Corrections is also pretty much always hiring. (GEO group in particular in these parts) The pay is crap and the work is crap but it is a job that someone that can pass a background check can pretty much turn on right away.

I have a lot of employable skills, experience and education but if worst came to worst, the best safety net I have is to be found on a dealership lot. I could land pretty much anywhere in the country and within a day have a job slinging cars...and I would make money at it. (I wouldnt stay, but I would use it to get me to "the next thing") All things considered though, the scenerio where that would happened/was the option I was facing is fairly ludicrous....but, it is still in my bag of tricks.

Build the biggest bag of tricks you can. When you have lots of good options, what you do is fairly arbitrary.

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon

Last edited by Rabbi; 03-29-2013 at 22:24..
Old 03-29-2013, 22:27   #45
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Also to add, I see signs at the local BBQ chain (Rudy's...which isnt bad) that "Help is wanted" all the time and the numbers are not bad. I have seen 12-15 and hour, start now!

You can live on 12 bucks an hour in San Antonio. Not well...but you can get by and have your own place. ( you can actually make it, alone, in San Antonio on 10 bucks an hour...again though, it would suck)

Last edited by Rabbi; 03-29-2013 at 22:27..
Old 04-08-2013, 19:35   #46
geofri
Lifetime Membership
Poikilotherm™

Quote:
If you have a CDL you will be working as soon as the paper work clears. If you have a CDL with a Haz Mat endorsement, you will probably be working before then

Seriously. There are jobs here. You can find work starting as soon as you get here. Just know, if you are going to play the Eagle Ford game, The work you will find will be hard work...and there is no where to live. (massive housing shortage in the Eagle Ford) and again, if you have a CDL...you are good to guy.

Private Corrections is also pretty much always hiring. (GEO group in particular in these parts) The pay is crap and the work is crap but it is a job that someone that can pass a background check can pretty much turn on right away.

I have a lot of employable skills, experience and education but if worst came to worst, the best safety net I have is to be found on a dealership lot. I could land pretty much anywhere in the country and within a day have a job slinging cars...and I would make money at it. (I wouldnt stay, but I would use it to get me to "the next thing") All things considered though, the scenerio where that would happened/was the option I was facing is fairly ludicrous....but, it is still in my bag of tricks.

Build the biggest bag of tricks you can. When you have lots of good options, what you do is fairly arbitrary.
I actually always wished I could take a whack at car sales.. but I am just not a car guy.. and know little to nothing about them. ( If that makes any sense at all..)

I have been working on that bag of tricks.. it does feel good to have fall backs in place. I have two different employers who have told me to come straight back to them if plans don't work down south.

I have ~5 years of food service experience.. so my first fall back would probably be to hit up some restaurants. Also have some construction and landscaping experience.

Quote:
Also to add, I see signs at the local BBQ chain (Rudy's...which isnt bad) that "Help is wanted" all the time and the numbers are not bad. I have seen 12-15 and hour, start now!

You can live on 12 bucks an hour in San Antonio. Not well...but you can get by and have your own place. ( you can actually make it, alone, in San Antonio on 10 bucks an hour...again though, it would suck)
That's great to hear. I can live on the cheap, and make that work.

I'm getting more comfortable with the idea of just showing up down there with no solid plans. Been wanting a good adventure for a while now!

I wouldn't have thought about this half as much if I didn't have some student loan obligations to take care of.

Last edited by geofri; 04-08-2013 at 19:36..
Old 04-09-2013, 17:27   #47
dudel

Really like Texas. Have some family there. Bought our retirement home in Boerne a few months ago, bought some investment real estate this past weekend. Great place.
dudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 18:46   #48
bamacisa

I really like Texas...lived there for twelve years (my daughter, son in law, and grand kids still live there (Wylie) I especially like north Dallas. I lived in the valley area for
about five years. There are lots of jobs there. You must find the one that best for you.
San Antonio area has a lot to offer Good luck.
bamacisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 19:14   #49
kbm54
Lifetime Membership
GTDS

Quote:
My search for employment continues, and I've just applied to two exciting(for me) jobs down there.

You may have caught my last post of Texas, which was slightly on the negative side, but that was really half in jest, as I know Texans are proud of their state. I'm just not a city fan, so I didn't enjoy the hubbub of Houston.

So, You like San Antonio?? Any big in and outs to know about?

..Hey.. Rabbi.. Don't you live there?

I haven't forsaken my LA GTers... that's still my first choice, but I'm not finding any really good employment possibilities there right now.

I've decided come may when my lease ends, I will be leaving Pennsylvania job or no job!
So I need to pick a town.. until now I was just going to find a job and housing afterwards, if I don't find a job I'm looking for I may have the option to move to a place a like, snag a crappy walmart greeter-esk job, and seek employment afterwards.
Am I an idiot to do that? Probably.. but my gills are pale and dry and the Hyponatremia is crippling.
I went to Houston for two weeks and hated it, hope that helps.

ETA: And you know I can help. I didn't realize you were a certified weld inspector; what sort of certification exactly?

Last edited by kbm54; 04-09-2013 at 19:19..
kbm54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 19:43   #50
Shinesintx

Quote:
Rabbi:
Do you recommend this "getting tore the hell up"

Beer:
I don't know If I should believe you about this "toobing " thing you speak of..

He's dead serious about the toobing. I have a few college buddies that grew up near the river. We're in out 40s and still go toobing.