Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:18   #101
BEER
bad example

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleGribble View Post
No, it's apples to apples.

Guns, when owned by responsible people do no harm. Guns, when owned by irresponsible people have the potential to cause great harm.

The same exact thing can be said for a dog. It's a training issue.
except for 1 blatantly obvious difference. guns are not organic. guns do not have complex brains capable of becoming senile, or depressed, or just mad. guns can not suffer physical pain and become defensive or agitated. guns can not just turn bad. dogs can. not just pit bulls or any other "bad breed" but all dogs. so no it is not apples to apples.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:21   #102
tjandrews

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaLEOjd View Post
Pitbulls are nice dogs UNTIL they do what they are known to do, attack. Not worth risking having a pitbull arouns if you plan on having children.............Get rid of her and find another girlfriend who is serious about tha safety of children.
What an uninformed statement. Do your research. Kinda like saying guns kill people.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
tjandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:53   #103
tjandrews

American temperament test society statistics state that American pitbull terriors passed the temperament test 86.8% of the time. Golden retrievers passed 85.2% and beagles 80%. 785 golden retrievers tested, 75 beagles, and 870 pitbulls. Check out Atts.org.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:08   #104
Clusterfrack

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjandrews View Post
American temperament test society statistics state that American pitbull terriors passed the temperament test 86.8% of the time. Golden retrievers passed 85.2% and beagles 80%. 785 golden retrievers tested, 75 beagles, and 870 pitbulls. Check out Atts.org.
I have quite a bit of experience with dogs, and I agree with you about temperament. I have seen as many golden and beagle attacks as pit bull attacks. The difference is that NONE of the golden or beagle bites was serious. The pit bites sent animals and people to the vet and hospital. Last time involved a female pit "just playing": she bit through the ear and scalp of another owner's poodle and it was a total bloodbath.

I have no idea what the situation is with this particular woman's dog, but I wouldn't trust an untrained/unsocialized fighting breed with kids or pets--I might not want to be around it myself.

Last edited by Clusterfrack; 03-16-2013 at 09:09..
Clusterfrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:23   #105
Rutha73

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleGribble View Post
No, it's apples to apples.

Guns, when owned by responsible people do no harm. Guns, when owned by irresponsible people have the potential to cause great harm.

The same exact thing can be said for a dog. It's a training issue.
Responsible gun owners lock guns in a safe when not in use. Maybe she can lock her dog upon a safe while its not in use. Apples to apples.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:25   #106
NMG26

Was reading this last night.

I would have thought the break up thread would start today.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:26   #107
tjandrews

They are a working breed not a fighting breed. Just because people use them, along with many other breeds to fight should not give the whole breed a certain tainted label.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:29   #108
Clusterfrack

Quote:
They are a working breed not a fighting breed. Just because people use them, along with many other breeds to fight should not give the whole breed a certain tainted label.

"Working". Ok... as in the "working" girls hanging out on the street corner? But seriously, a pit, German Shepard, rott, do different "work" than goldens and beagles.

Last edited by Clusterfrack; 03-16-2013 at 09:32..
Clusterfrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:49   #109
tjandrews

I would think that all of us, especially with our common bond of firearms, would be more open minded to what stats say and less of what the "media" portrays as the truth. We are all under judgement by our government and alot of civilians that are driven by what the media says about guns. I know the difference in guns and dogs, but they are same in the sensce that people join the masses and are putting labels and stereotypes on something that there simply are no facts to back up the judgement that pitbulls are any more of a dangerous breed than any other breed. Funny thing is, most people dont know a pit when they see one. They just know the name.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:09   #110
jp3975

Quote:
there simply are no facts to back up the judgement that pitbulls are any more of a dangerous breed than any other breed.
So...if your neighbor had two dogs that wanted to attack you...youd feel the pit was no more dangerous to you than a beagle?
jp3975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:12   #111
JLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickC50310 View Post
Heres your solution: give your dachshund to your parents. Tell your gf no other pets or kids until her unstable dog is gone. Tell her the first time it harms another animal or person it is being put down. That is what i would do. Tell her to train and care for the dog correctly while youre at it.

Great answer! Just what I was thinking. Also....I'm not going to judge or predict what the future holds for you. I just speaking of what I would do now if you want a life with her. Wait until the dog is gone BEFORE you decide on kids. It may save you the worry later.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:13   #112
05VHO6L

If you don't get the dog some help it will become a problem. What makes most dogs crazy, psychotic, aggressive are issues that stem from lack of socialization. My buddy has a female pit. Another of our friends had a female as well that came from the same litter. Dog 1 has been extremely socialized, always goes to the lake and pretty much anywhere we go as long as its allowed. She's never so much as growled at another dog or human. Dog 2 was left inside for hours on end every day and only got attention when it was convenient. She's had numerous problems being aggressive and dangerous towards other animals and people. No matter the breed dogs need to be socialized with. If you don't take responsibility for what you've got it's always dangerous no matter the dog

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
05VHO6L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:46   #113
Harper

Quote:
Originally Posted by vart View Post
Get over yourself... If you really knew anything about animals; dogs in particular, then you would have clued in to a couple of very important points he made.

This isn't an average dog that the OP simply dislikes because he's not a dog person. He stated it has not been properly socialized, since it has spent nearly all of it's life cooped up in a spare bedroom.

It has also displayed aggressive behavior towards him and other animals, and it is destructive to furniture, which is another indicator of behavior issues.

If anything, the girlfriend is the one that is the irresponsible pet owner and has caused undo harm to the dog...
Agreed.
Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:00   #114
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithaca_deerslayer View Post
You are wrong, she is right. She deserves better, so break up with her now so she can move on and find a better guy. I suspect Pitbull is just the tip of the iceberg. What if she felt that way about guns? You'd think she was unreasonable.
Superspud, not to be rude - BUT - the above is a very good reply!

My own reply is a little different: 'There's no arguing with a closed mind!' (Sorry!)

I'm a retired real estate industry professional. My avocation for the past 40 years has been dog training. During this time I've kept: Doberman Pinchers, Fox Terriers, Pit Bulldogs, and Miniature Dachshunds. The easiest dogs to train were always the Dobermans and Pitbulls. Listen, my friend,

A PROPERLY SOCIALIZED CANINE IS A PROPERLY SOCIALIZED CANINE - PERIOD!'

As simplistic as it may sound,

'YOU GET OUT OF A DOG EXACTLY WHAT YOU PUT INTO IT!'

Here's a personal anecdote for you: I used to train our Bulldogs on the front lawn of a very nice home right in the center of town. One year an attractive young woman began pushing a baby carriage past the house on some afternoons while I was training two of our, 'best' Bulldogs. This went on for a couple of months without incident. She would smile and wave to me; and I would stop whatever I was doing and return the courtesy.

Then, one day, she suddenly stops the baby carriage and asks me in a rather accusatory tone of voice, ‘Are they Pitbulls?’ When I answered, ‘Yes! ’ she flew into a fit! I was given a lecture about, ‘our neighborhood being a family neighborhood’, etc., etc.

After the first time, or two, I got stubborn, began to ignore the silly woman, and started afternoon dog training on the front lawn much more frequently than before. (I know; I'm sorry; but I just couldn't help myself.) The lady with the baby carriage, also, began showing up more often, too. (With her baby inside the carriage, no less! I still don’t understand, ‘Why’ she did that?)

She began throwing fits out on the sidewalk; she threatened to call the police. (She did!) She threatened to appear before the Town Council. (She sent them a long vitriolic and anonymous letter, instead.) So, late one afternoon my neighbor, a lawyer, and the municipal town judge for the past 30 years comes walking up to the front porch and sits down.

I thought he was there to play with my big brindle and white male the same way as he always did; but, this afternoon, he’s there to see me. As he pats my Pitbull’s large head he tells me the Town Council received a long letter of complaint about our Pit Bulldogs. (This being a, ‘family neighborhood’ and all that!)

The judge went on to tell me that the complainant chose not to sign the letter; so, in accord with standing policy, the Council chose not to address the issue. Then he patted my Bulldog on the head again, looked me straight in the eye, and said, ‘I really love Dancer!’ ‘He’s the spitting image of the dog my parents gave me when I was a boy.’ (It made me feel good to know that!) Anyway a month, or two, later we’re out on the front lawn when along comes the, ‘baby carriage momma’. Smarting from the lack of results she brings her baby to a sudden stop right in front of me and demands, ‘What are their names?

I couldn’t help myself; I just couldn’t help myself! I told her, ‘None of your business!’ She hung around moving very slowly down the sidewalk; and I decided to have a little fun. I walked to the front door, opened it, and called out to the two (superlatively trained) Pitbulls, ‘anchored’ on their butts to the front lawn, ‘Skull’, ‘Bones’ come here!' 'Skull, Get in the house right now!' (Then I heard this curious echo, 'Skull'! 'Bones'! 'Arghhh, ...... !' You know, I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone run off pushing a baby carriage THAT fast!)

I only saw this woman one more time. I was in the local video shop showing an 8 week old puppy to the store owner when she walked in. Everybody in the shop was fussing over the puppy; and the owner wanted to buy it. When he asked me, ‘So, how much are you asking for that little Pitbull?’ the woman calls out, incredulously, ‘THAT isn't a Pitbull!’ I only looked down at her and winked! Never saw her again, after that. I think she might have moved? Like I said, ‘There’s no arguing with a closed mind!

ON THE OTHER HAND, when a very clever Jewish fellow moved in next door to us (We shared an unfenced backyard.) I was outside with the dogs one morning when he suddenly came walking, straight at me, from across the yard. (I’d noticed him just standing there watching me for awhile.) He introduced himself, shook my hand, and then, ‘floored me’ by asking, 'Would you allow my daughter to play with your Pitbulls?' When I replied, ‘You can’t be serious!’ He replied, ‘I’m very serious, please?’ So I told him to bring the little girl over. No bull! This was the start of the next 5 years of that little blonde girl frequently running into our yard and riding my two oldest Pitbulls around as if they were ponies! The Bulldogs loved her; and she only stopped riding them when she grew too large to comfortably fit on their backs!

If I were to offer you any advice in parting I’d suggest that you should try not to behave like, ‘an easily hysterical woman with a baby carriage’. That woman was so myopic, so obtuse, that she completely failed to realize that SHE was more of a threat to her own baby than either me, or my two Pit Bulldogs ever could (or would) have been!

Last edited by Arc Angel; 03-16-2013 at 12:08..
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:12   #115
390ish

I don't care if it is her dog, her car or anything else she loves. If you are making ultimatums of me or the _______ (insert whatever is applicable), you are doomed. It is controlling. If she does not get rid of the dog, you all will not live together. If she does get rid of the dog, she is going to remember it and that seed of resentment will NEVER EVER go away. The root cause for her leaving you for your cousin five years from now would have been established. You need to completely drop the issue and learn to love the dog and never ever complain about the dog again or ditch the girl. If you do neither, you will be unhappily married like 80% of the rest of the people out there who are married. That sort of thing ends up being the most important sort of thing in a marriage.
390ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:33   #116
sourdough44

No kids & all else is right with her I'd try to work it out with the dog. Maybe just keep the outlook shorter range, enjoy the ride so to speak.
sourdough44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:36   #117
AggieGlock

Quote:
its very sweet, but sketchy as hell. it will come up and be nice to me at times then bark and try to attack me 5 minutes later. it has been living in her bedroom her entire life, it barks and tries to attack everything.
Is everyone missing this??? If this is true then I can totally understand why he wouldn't want the dog around. What a risk and liability to take on.
AggieGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:45   #118
Harper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieGlock View Post
Is everyone missing this???
Yes, it's ironic people are jumping on the OP saying pitbulls are only a problem if it's not socialized properly while the OP is trying to tell them his gf's pitbull was not socialized properly.
Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:51   #119
audiomechanic

WOW! A Whole lot of immaturity going on in this thread.

To all off you pitbull lovers who are jumping down the OP's throat and calling him an ***hole and other names: aren't you over-reacting much? Why don't y'all just find out where the OP lives, go break he knee caps, shoot his dog in front of him and burn his house down while you're at it. GOOD GRIEF! You're acting like the OP shot his GF's dog.

Everyone needs to calm the heck down. The OP asked for opinions, not internet crucifixion. What is wrong with all of you? The OP is not beating his GF's dog, he's not beating her either, nor is he abusing her or the dog. Take a breather, get off the internet and go for a walk.

On 2nd thought, it's probably time to lock this one up. That would be better. Mods?

Last edited by audiomechanic; 03-16-2013 at 11:53..
audiomechanic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:26   #120
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Wait a minute! The only people who seem to be overreacting here are,

YOU TWO GUYS!

In fact I'm not so sure that either one of you should be allowed to own a gun! (How's that!) To quote a famous American politician, 'The first sign of dogma, of intellectual tyranny, is always an unwillingness to stand and listen.' - Hubert H. Humphrey

Me, personally? I'm not overly anxious to see this thread closed down just because the two of you feel like spewing venom. Everybody was doing fine and being very civil, ...... until the both of you came along with absolutely nothing constructive to offer.
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:28   #121
glock1911revolver
Vice-Emperor

Quote:

On 2nd thought, it's probably time to lock this
one up. That would be better. Mods?
Aw, come on, man. Some of us love these dogs vs. people threads!
Old 03-16-2013, 12:31   #122
audiomechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc Angel View Post
Wait a minute! The only people who seem to be overreacting here are,

YOU TWO GUYS!

In fact I'm not so sure that either one of you should be allowed to own a gun! (How's that!) To quote a famous American politician, 'The first sign of dogma, of intellectual tyranny, is always an unwillingness to stand and listen.' - Hubert H. Humphrey

Me, personally? I'm not overly anxious to see this thread closed down just because the two of you feel like spewing venom. Everybody was doing fine and being very civil, ...... until the both of you came along with absolutely nothing constructive to offer.
Two guys? Who's the other? My comments stand as mine and mine alone.

And to rebut your quote there, since I have no other posts in this thread, all I've done is listen. I'm referring to the people calling the OP an ***hole and other such terms, over-reacting and jumping to conclusions. I've read the whole thread, sir. I'm not speaking to everyone.
audiomechanic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:32   #123
geofri
Lifetime Membership
Poikilotherm™

Ahh, the joys warm and fuzzy pets bring us..

It doesn't have to be this way.

geofri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:33   #124
dakrat

break up with her PM me her #

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 03-16-2013, 13:03   #125
rppnj

Quote:
Originally Posted by superspud View Post
she, refuses to get rid of it. she has now stated that she will NOT get rid of it...what to do......? am i in the wrong here and just too stubborn to acknowledge it?

cliffs: girlfriend for some reason has a pit bull, i will not have anything to do with it, she wont get rid of it... am i an ******* or what?
You said that this Pit Bull is over-protective of your girlfriend and has a history of violence toward yourself and others. Even when you explain this issue to her calmly and rationally, she will not budge. Your girlfriend is young and immature and accustomed to 'getting her own way'. She seems coddled / spoiled by her parents (buying her her own home, etc). Sounds like she may have a history of when not getting her own way, stamping her feet and "Taking her blocks and going home!" like a four year old.

The key here is that the Pit Bull has a history of violence... you are right...she is wrong. You sound like a mature adult, who has worked hard for what you have. Do yourself a favor and find yourself a mature woman and leave this spoiled 'child' behind before it is too late. If you do not, I feel that you will regret it later.

Note: It's easy for someone to be sweet, caring and wonderful when they're always used to getting their own way.

'Integrity is who you are and what you do when no one is watching.'
-rppnj
rppnj is offline   Reply With Quote