SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-15-2013, 21:58   #76
98LS-WON

Quote:
Originally Posted by superspud View Post
I wont have one living in my house, i won't have it in my back yard and i certainly wouldnt raise kids around one, period.
Well if you get married, it isn't your house anymore. If that is the attitude you have going into any marriage, Good Luck.
98LS-WON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 21:59   #77
NickC50310

Send a message via AIM to NickC50310
Heres your solution: give your dachshund to your parents. Tell your gf no other pets or kids until her unstable dog is gone. Tell her the first time it harms another animal or person it is being put down. That is what i would do. Tell her to train and care for the dog correctly while youre at it.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
NickC50310 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 22:12   #78
m2hmghb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detectorist View Post
Did you even read how unpredictable the dog is?
Yes I did. I also see how the OP is and the dog is acting as an alpha. He's not trying to compromise, he hasn't tried to go to dog training classes, it's just his way or the highway. That is NOT a mature way to handle a relationship.

The M1 Garand rifle is the best battle implement ever devised by man.
m2hmghb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 22:23   #79
Detectorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2hmghb View Post
Yes I did. I also see how the OP is and the dog is acting as an alpha. He's not trying to compromise, he hasn't tried to go to dog training classes, it's just his way or the highway. That is NOT a mature way to handle a relationship.
It has nothing to do with maturity. I wouldn't trust a dog like that around my children. Even with lots of dog classes.

One thing is accepting a dog which has never been aggressive. The other thing is trying to change a dog which has not been socialized.

I think anyone would be irresponsible to have that dog around children. It's a safety issue. Why take the chance. It only takes one time to hurt a child. He's the mature one.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place. George Bernard Shaw
Detectorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 22:53   #80
WarCry

Quote:
It has nothing to do with maturity. I wouldn't trust a dog like that around my children. Even with lots of dog classes.

One thing is accepting a dog which has never been aggressive. The other thing is trying to change a dog which has not been socialized.

I think anyone would be irresponsible to have that dog around children. It's a safety issue. Why take the chance. It only takes one time to hurt a child. He's the mature one.
So, then, "it's all about the children"?

In this case, the hypothetical children. The guy's not even married yet. He's "laid down the law" that the dog has to go before he would even consider getting married to her, because he won't have it in "his house". The children excuse in this case is just that - an excuse.

Let me put it in an extremely crude fashion: Is he sleeping with his girlfriend? Because if he is, then he's risking bring a child into that household as it is. If he was truly worried about a child living in that house, then he'd need to keep it zipped until a resolution is reached, because wedding ring or not, there COULD be a child.
Old 03-15-2013, 23:30   #81
m2hmghb

Quote:

There are no children in the picture as of now. He merely states that they have talked about it and want children "eventually".

The M1 Garand rifle is the best battle implement ever devised by man.
m2hmghb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 23:42   #82
Detectorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2hmghb View Post
There are no children in the picture as of now. He merely states that they have talked about it and want children "eventually".
I don't know why this is so difficult to understand. The freaking dog can't be trusted. Period. Not with humans, children other pets.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place. George Bernard Shaw
Detectorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 23:54   #83
WarCry

Quote:
I don't know why this is so difficult to understand. The freaking dog can't be trusted. Period. Not with humans, children other pets.
Except that the dog's OWNER has had him for at least the year or so that the OP has said they've been together.

You're taking the OP at face value with no other information. How did the OP approach the dog? Aggressive? Scared? Threatening? Trembling?

There's nothing here that says the dog can't be trusted, you've making presumptions that aren't supported by fact. The OP doesn't like the breed. He admitted that. You don't think that MIGHT just be coloring his interpretations, not to mention coloring how he actually INTERACTS with the dog?

Seems like the dog's OWNER trusts him enough to sleep in the same room, so I'm not sure what makes you think "the dog can't be trusted. Period." There is simply nothing that supports that view.
Old 03-15-2013, 23:54   #84
Rutha73

Have you called your homeowners insurance company to see if they have a list of dogs that will either jack up your insurance rates or be cause for your policy to be cancelled? I know some companies won't insure you if you have a pit, rottie, Doberman, etc. or your premium will go through the roof.
Old 03-16-2013, 00:08   #85
bal19

As a proud owner of both a rescued 90lb pit bull and a rescued 155 pound Rottweiler, it would take an army to separate them from me and my family. ( this includes two kids).

I will acknowledge that certain breeds require a stronger leader than others.

I wont bore you with stories of how sweet they are, but i will say this...

With all due respect; any person asking me to give up my dogs or willing to give up their own, Is not worth my time. My dogs show more loyalty everyday than i would likely find in someone asking me to abandon my best friend.

I say again, i mean no disrespect.

Fight ignorance and fear, educate yourself.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 03-16-2013, 02:55   #86
Berto
woo woo

You, are a prime example of why the Internet shall forever remain a **** show...

With all due respect, you're the star of the show, it's your thread.

All the usual bedwetting about pit bulls aside, it really sounds like this aspect of the relationship is a good indicator of future irreconcilable differences down the road.

The dog is protective of her. Welcome to the world of dogs. You'll be troubled to find most decent sized dogs will act the same way...but whatever, you probably aren't capable of fathoming how millions of normal folks-even married with kids- have dogs like this without an issue.
Since you're not interested in meeting her half way, maybe getting some training or socialization for the dog, then it might be better you not having kids and such.

Hopefully you'll meet someone down the road with a poodle, or other variation of the puntapet....and it will get along okay with your dachshund so you don't need to kick it to the curb.
Good luck, everyone deserves to be happy.
Berto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:48   #87
nursetim

First of all I think you are wrong. But you believe what you believe. The relationship is doomed. Let's just say you convince her to get rid of the dog for the sake of love. Do you honestly think she will not resent you at some level? Really? What if the roles were reversed? What if she said, get rid of wiener dog. I can not abide wiener dogs and will not have one live in my house. If you acquiesced and got rid of your dog, wouldn't you resent her, at some level, for making you give up on a loyal and loving friend? If the issue of a pet is pushing the relationship to the brink, well it was a crappy relationship that was looking for an issue to precipitate a breakup to begin with. "Children and junk"? Dude, really? You you are successful in business, whatever business you are in. But not all people should have children and you may be one of those. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Maybe you shouldn't.

You could both give up your pets and get a new one as a couple.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:01   #88
Maxx702
Infamous Member

She would definitely be wise to kick you to the curb.
Maxx702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:05   #89
Restless28

Is she hot?
Restless28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:24   #90
DaleGribble
Well Heeled Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by *ASH* View Post
thats apple to oranges . guns dont attack people , and when left alone in the house are fine .
No, it's apples to apples.

Guns, when owned by responsible people do no harm. Guns, when owned by irresponsible people have the potential to cause great harm.

The same exact thing can be said for a dog. It's a training issue.
DaleGribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:24   #91
Geeorge
Sarcasm Inc.

Fence in the yard and install a doggy door .

The dachshund will probably be the dominate one.

Pits are great dogs, spend some time with it and become buddies and all will be fine.

Okie is one KooL Cat
Geeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:29   #92
Geeorge
Sarcasm Inc.

And the real important question is how are her teeth ?

Are they good ?

Or does she have jacked up teeff?

Okie is one KooL Cat
Geeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:23   #93
Red Stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cclass View Post
Your dog deserves a better master.
^This
Old 03-16-2013, 06:31   #94
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by superspud View Post
so aside from the fact that the dog is unpredictable, i would never want to have kids with any pit bull around, let alone this one... we both work 12'ish hours a day, the dog would have to be inside all day long, most likely in my spare bedroom since it has an appetite for leather couches... the main thing ive tried to drive home to her is that its unfair to the dog. a big dog should not have to live inside all the time, especially in a spare bedroom.

problem is, she cant even live in a regular apartment with this dog, most apartments in the area dont allow pit bulls so even if we wanted to "postpone" things for a while, she'd have to live in a **** hole apartment if she wanted to keep it.

oh well, i appreciate all the feedback guys. i certainly wasnt expecting everyone to side with me, thats why i made this thread to see both sides of things.
Starting off trying to change her is no way to go into a marriage.

If you are such a great guy, buy your new bride to be a house, build a run out kennel, and let her have any dog she wants.

Think I'm kidding? Ever marry a woman who loves horses

Old 03-16-2013, 06:35   #95
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by *ASH* View Post
thats apple to oranges . guns dont attack people , and when left alone in the house are fine .
Yeah, but if was any other kind of gun except for an assault weapon, she'd be fine with it.

Old 03-16-2013, 06:38   #96
Fear Night
NRA Life Member

She is not the one. How could I know?

Well, if she were, you would be looking for any and every solution to make this work out. Breaking up over this wouldn't even be a consideration.

Can you build a kennel outside for the dog? Can her parents take the dog in? At her age, you could easily wait the dog out before you had kids.

Worst case, the dog could just "accidentally" get loose from the fence one day

Last edited by Fear Night; 03-16-2013 at 06:41..
Fear Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:45   #97
norton

[QUOTE=ithaca_deerslayer;20093664]Starting off trying to change her is no way to go into a marriage

You have got to be kidding. Changing men is 101 for new brides. Civilizing men is their God given mission in life.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:07   #98
frank4570
Feral human

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleGribble View Post
No, it's apples to apples.

Guns, when owned by responsible people do no harm. Guns, when owned by irresponsible people have the potential to cause great harm.

The same exact thing can be said for a dog. It's a training issue.
That really does suggest that all dogs have the same personality, they don't.
Most dogs are good dogs.
Some dogs have the potential to become bad dogs if they have a bad owner. A few dogs absolutely must have a good, strong, determined owner. And a few dogs just can't be trusted, unless maybe it is for hunting dangerous animals.
I'm sure you already know this is.

For too long people have said "screw NY, IL, etc" or "that'll never happen here." Yes, it will eventually. If we dont start standing up together now, it will never stop.-ilgunguygt
frank4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:10   #99
frank4570
Feral human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Night View Post
She is not the one. How could I know?

Well, if she were, you would be looking for any and every solution to make this work out. Breaking up over this wouldn't even be a consideration.
There it is. You have gotten right to the heart of the matter. I knew something wasn't quite right, you nailed it.

If this was the right one, he'd be bringing her pit-bull wendys hamburgers as bribes to get on its good side and paying professional trainers to drop by the house.

For too long people have said "screw NY, IL, etc" or "that'll never happen here." Yes, it will eventually. If we dont start standing up together now, it will never stop.-ilgunguygt
frank4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:09   #100
JEEPX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M View Post
I am far from an expert on dogs, but to me that seems like a clue.

A great clue. It will not sway the GT emotional, but still a great clue.

OP,
I am a dog lover. However, in your case the dog is aggressive. I would not deal with it either.
JEEPX is offline   Reply With Quote