SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-15-2013, 20:39   #51
jp3975

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarCry View Post
The problem is absolutely, 100%, unquestionably on YOUR end, not hers. You're being both narrow-minded and an ass about it.

These comments tell me that you shouldn't be a pet owner. Pets aren't property to just take or leave with whatever fits your lifestyle at that moment. They aren't furniture, and they aren't fashion accessories. You don't just toss them away when they become too much of a hassle.

That wasn't the question. The question was posed as a hypothetical. Forget guns. Think of ANYTHING that you have in you life that's important to you and you were told it needed to go.

BTW, if anyone feels my opinion was too harsh, I don't give a damn. I've seen too many dogs that just got cast aside because the owner "couldn't handle it" any more - meaning they didn't want to buy the food, take the walks, etc. The only thing the dogs did wrong was to find their way into the home of a selfish asshat.
Did you not read this part? I wouldnt want a dog in the house that attacked me/ others dogs/etc either. Certainly wouldnt want it around if we where expecting a kid.

Quote:
its very sweet, but sketchy as hell. it will come up and be nice to me at times then bark and try to attack me 5 minutes later. it has been living in her bedroom her entire life, it barks and tries to attack everything. has attacked her parents dogs when she brought it home and is EXTREMELY protective of her (the girlfriend)
jp3975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 20:43   #52
czsmithGT

Quote:

BTW, if anyone feels my opinion was too harsh, I don't give a damn. I've seen too many dogs that just got cast aside because the owner "couldn't handle it" any more - meaning they didn't want to buy the food, take the walks, etc. The only thing the dogs did wrong was to find their way into the home of a selfish asshat.
Do you want this dog in your house?

"its very sweet, but sketchy as hell. it will come up and be nice to me at times then bark and try to attack me 5 minutes later. it has been living in her bedroom her entire life, it barks and tries to attack everything. has attacked her parents dogs when she brought it home and is EXTREMELY protective of her (the girlfriend)"

Maybe you should offer to take it in?
czsmithGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 20:45   #53
Sharkey

Eeek! What a thread. I'll give you my experience. When I dated my wife, she told me flat out her 2 cats came with her. I've had a cat but not a fan but my wife has great legs so I continued dating her and our 10 yr anniversary is this year. The cats are still around.

Now about 4 years into our marriage, I wanted a dog. We went to rescue one and the only one they had good with cats was a pit bull mix. My wife was against getting her because of all the - things said about pits. We had her 3 years before she developed spine issues. People would walk away from us when we were out. She looked mean and was dog aggressive but VERY people friendly.

We missed her greatly when she was gone and we went back to the rescue and got another pit mix puppy. People are still weird around her. She is the most laid back wussy dog I have ever seen and also like our child.

IF you love her, you'd be wise to accept her dog unless there have been issues with it being aggressive towards you or her.
Pit bulls were the nanny dog back in the 50's. They have wonderful dispositions and are true people pleasers. If I was dating someone and they didn't accept my pit, I wouldn't waste my time with them.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

My wife is a bigger pit bull advocate than I am now.

I'm gonna add to my comment after reading page 2. It sounds like your girlfriend is a terrible dog owner. Any adult dog should not be chewing on your furniture and she should correct that. A dog shouldn't be kept inside all the time either. A dog door has been one of the best things we ever did. If she can't properly care for her dog, maybe she ain't all that? Choose wisely. I still wouldn't give up my dog for someone but hey, I take care of my dog.

Last edited by Sharkey; 03-15-2013 at 20:54..
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 20:46   #54
DonMerlin

You never mention this dog just the breed. I have been to husband school 3 times. If her dog is such a big issue that you two cannot come to an agreement that is acceptable to you both then the union is doomed. Issues that have real merit will seem impossible to over come.
Save yourself a boat load of heart ache and $$ and skip the marriage.

JMHO
DonMerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 20:47   #55
frank4570
Feral human

Quote:
Originally Posted by superspud View Post

its very sweet, but sketchy as hell. it will come up and be nice to me at times then bark and try to attack me 5 minutes later. it has been living in her bedroom her entire life, it barks and tries to attack everything. has attacked her parents dogs when she brought it home and is EXTREMELY protective of her (the girlfriend)
That's different.
If she allows this strong willed dog to behave this way, there is a problem.

If she at least tries to make the dog behave correctly, that's one thing.
If she just makes apologies for the dog and expects you to accept the behavior, that is totally different.

Either way I don't think you two have a future.

Dog Whisperer videos and a variable control shock collar.

For too long people have said "screw NY, IL, etc" or "that'll never happen here." Yes, it will eventually. If we dont start standing up together now, it will never stop.-ilgunguygt

Last edited by frank4570; 03-15-2013 at 20:48..
frank4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 20:58   #56
superspud
Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350 View Post
YOU my friend are not ready for marriage.
i am all about wining and dining ladies and being a gentleman, but there comes a time where things need to WORK in order to move to the marriage part of your life. it is my house, i'd like very much for it to be OUR house (she doesnt live with me, so it is in fact, my house) but im not just going to ignore the elephant in the room, get married and assume everything will be rainbows and butterflies. im a pretty practical person, way more than i should be apparently, but its come to a point in our relationship where a decision needs to be made. guess we'll see what happens, another sit down is certainly needed.

and for what its worth, im not a terrible person not worthy of owning a dog. my parents love and often watch my dachshund, so i wouldnt have to just toss her to the street, im sure they would "adopt" her if need be.

and thats the point i was trying to make, even if i decided i was ok with her dog, i'd have to get rid of my dog (which I've stated im ok with choosing my girlfriend over my dog), but i'd still not be ok with a big dog living inside my house or even my back yard really. i dont have a large house by any means and an even smaller back yard.... it doesnt make sense to have a dog like that living here....
Old 03-15-2013, 21:03   #57
Cclass
CLM Number 16
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
not a bad idea. i'd be all for that actually. i love the hell out of my dog but wont let it get in the way of the rest of my life...
Your dog deserves a better master.
Old 03-15-2013, 21:09   #58
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
Quote:
im sure there have been many "pit bulls are the best dogs ever" or "pit bulls are terrible!!!" threads on here, but i figured i'd start one more.

the lady and I have been dating for over a year now and are very serious. have discussed marriage, have talked about kids eventually and all that junk. everytime we start discussing serious things there is one issue we can not get beyond, her pit bull...

a little background:

I am 29, graduated college in 2006, worked in vegas for a few years and have lived back in the houston area since 2009. have a good steady job, own a house (paid for) as well as my car. I have a dachshund, no kids and have never been married, or even considered it.

she is 22, just got her degree in nursing and started her job at the hospital. great girl, was a college cheer leader, awesome personality and we get along great.

the only issue we face and constantly argue about is her dog. we dont live together (she has a house her parents bought that she lived in during college) but plan to start a life together. I have been very clear about the fact that i will not have her dog living in my house since day one, we've kinda just swept it under the carpet each time. well now that she's working and we're more serious, its becoming more of an issue. I have very firm feelings about pit bulls, im sure there's great examples of how sweet they are, but i want nothing to do with them. I wont have one living in my house, i won't have it in my back yard and i certainly wouldnt raise kids around one, period.

she, refuses to get rid of it. she has now stated that she will NOT get rid of it...

what to do......? am i in the wrong here and just too stubborn to acknowledge it?

cliffs: girlfriend for some reason has a pit bull, i will not have anything to do with it, she wont get rid of it... am i an ******* or what?
Yep, you're a *******

I had a girl ask me to choose between the dog and her.

I've still got the dog.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 21:12   #59
norton

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylenewman View Post
What would you do if she asked you to get rid of all your guns as she wasn't comfortable having them around future children?
I haven't seen a gun yet that acted on its own and attacked someone.

For the O/p, I wouldn't have one of those damn things in my house. I grew up in a house with a Chow dog. No potential attackers on 4 legs for me either.

Last edited by norton; 03-15-2013 at 21:12..
norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 21:13   #60
9jeeps
Fogey

Tell you what and you can take this to the bank.

She will undergo a major personality change soon... All girls do this around 23/25 years old.

YOU BOTH are in a terrible relationship. RIGHT NOW.

Imagine what it will be like when you mix two homes with dogs and hormones...

you both are stubborn and will butt heads continuously. Neither one of you are ready for marriage for so many reasons.

Move on..... Both of you.. If you marry you will be hell on each other.

Copy this note. tape it to the back of a closet door and re read next year OR
9jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 21:19   #61
WarCry

Quote:
Originally Posted by czsmithGT View Post
"its very sweet, but sketchy as hell. it will come up and be nice to me at times then bark and try to attack me 5 minutes later. it has been living in her bedroom her entire life, it barks and tries to attack everything. has attacked her parents dogs when she brought it home and is EXTREMELY protective of her (the girlfriend)"
I didn't miss this part at all. I also didn't miss the fact that this "issue" didn't come up from the OP until his third or fourth post after getting torn into for being an ass about the whole thing. I think this "issue" either doesn't exist at all or is FAR less serious than he's trying to make it seem. If this was really such a big issue, and he was trying to emphasize it, it would have been mentioned in the first post, or at least the second, when instead of this, all he said was "if it was any other breed, this wouldn't be an issue." That, to me, revealed his true colours and everything else is just excuses after the fact.

That's just my impression, from years of dealing with people who try to make their story fit their desired outcomes.

Quote:
and for what its worth, im not a terrible person not worthy of owning a dog. my parents love and often watch my dachshund, so i wouldnt have to just toss her to the street, im sure they would "adopt" her if need be.
This doesn't exonerate you. I was talking about you casting your dog aside, I didn't say anything about throwing her in the street. It doesn't matter WHERE you send the dog, you took her in, she's grown into being YOUR dog. She doesn't know what it means when you "throw her away" to someone else's house, she just knows, in her limited worldview, that her person doesn't want her any more.

No matter where she goes, you're still saying "Well, I liked my dog, but she doesn't fit in the life I want now, so....moving on..."

Would you do that to this girl if she was your wife? Or a kid, if you decided you wanted something different in your life? No, sir, I'm sorry if you don't like me saying so, but you are still a terrible person that shouldn't be a pet owner. You think of them as property. That much has become very clear from your posts.
Old 03-15-2013, 21:19   #62
JohnnyReb
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cclass View Post
Your dog deserves a better master.
Ultimately, it's just a dog. A dog will not get in the way of things that I need to do, nor should it.

It's not a person, and it's not a child. I type this as my Bluetick coonhound is sleeping curled by my feet.

Everyone that values their pets the same as a human has mental issues, and I notice it's much more prevalent in non hunters and city dwellers.

To the OP. If she is that bad at raising a dog (instilling discipline and dominance) I wouldn't expect much different with a kid.

Maybe the dog is testing your dominance. Personally, I would establish dominance over the dog.

While you are doing this, you can not be afraid of the dog. The dog will sense this, and will maintain his position as the pack leader.

I wouldn't break up with the girl of my dreams over an animal, but I believe there are bigger issues at play here in the background.

To expect get to get rid of an animal she has an emotional attachment to is very unreasonable. It won't ever happen.

Best of luck.
posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 03-15-2013, 21:21   #63
BEER
bad example

everybody is concentrating on the breed of dog and not the elephant in the freaking living room. as usual both sides of the pitbull debate have gone rabid instantly.

the big picture here isn't the fact it's a pitbull, it's that you 2 wing nuts can't come to an agreement on something as simple as a pet. go ahead an marry her and get back to us in 6 months when you 2 have to make SERIOUS compromises or joint decision. lmao
Old 03-15-2013, 21:30   #64
superspud
Ninja

Quote:
I didn't miss this part at all. I also didn't miss the fact that this "issue" didn't come up from the OP until his third or fourth post after getting torn into for being an ass about the whole thing. I think this "issue" either doesn't exist at all or is FAR less serious than he's trying to make it seem. If this was really such a big issue, and he was trying to emphasize it, it would have been mentioned in the first post, or at least the second, when instead of this, all he said was "if it was any other breed, this wouldn't be an issue." That, to me, revealed his true colours and everything else is just excuses after the fact.

That's just my impression, from years of dealing with people who try to make their story fit their desired outcomes.

This doesn't exonerate you. I was talking about you casting your dog aside, I didn't say anything about throwing her in the street. It doesn't matter WHERE you send the dog, you took her in, she's grown into being YOUR dog. She doesn't know what it means when you "throw her away" to someone else's house, she just knows, in her limited worldview, that her person doesn't want her any more.

No matter where she goes, you're still saying "Well, I liked my dog, but she doesn't fit in the life I want now, so....moving on..."

Would you do that to this girl if she was your wife? Or a kid, if you decided you wanted something different in your life? No, sir, I'm sorry if you don't like me saying so, but you are still a terrible person that shouldn't be a pet owner. You think of them as property. That much has become very clear from your posts.
Your posts are very entertaining, so ill quote you again in hopes you'll grace me with some more knowledge.

For what it's worth, which isn't much, I didn't mention the part of the dog being aggressive in my original post because I wanted it to be somewhat of a constructive conversation, not me entirely bashing the dog and me being already set in my ways. Was attempting to come at this with somewhat of an open mind, bc everything else I've done thus far hasn't worked too well.

You, are a prime example of why the Internet shall forever remain a **** show....

Last edited by superspud; 03-15-2013 at 21:33..
superspud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 21:32   #65
glockski

Quote:
Originally Posted by czsmithGT View Post
Do you want this dog in your house?

Maybe you should offer to take it in?
Hell I'll take them both in. Give her my number
glockski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 21:35   #66
NickC50310

Send a message via AIM to NickC50310
Anyone telling him to take in an agressive poorly socialized poorly trained potentially dangerous dog into his house with a small dog and maybe kids soon is a complete idiot. Read his post about the dogs demeanour and wake the hell up. Op- you should have put that in your first post so the boneheads wouldnt miss it.

NickC50310 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 21:35   #67
WarCry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEER View Post
everybody is concentrating on the breed of dog and not the elephant in the freaking living room. as usual both sides of the pitbull debate have gone rabid instantly.

the big picture here isn't the fact it's a pitbull, it's that you 2 wing nuts can't come to an agreement on something as simple as a pet. go ahead an marry her and get back to us in 6 months when you 2 have to make SERIOUS compromises or joint decision. lmao
For myself, I would be making the same arguments if he'd phrased it as simply "my girlfriend's dog" without specifying a breed. His second post of "wouldn't be an issue with any other breed" just took it to a whole different level.

But, yeah, I agree with your second paragraph. In this case, it's not even about compromise. It's about him saying "this is how it HAS to be". Controlling isn't a very good attribute to bring into any relationship, be it personal or professional. Even a supervisor/boss has to lead and direct, but can't control.
Old 03-15-2013, 21:37   #68
WarCry

Quote:
Your posts are very entertaining, so ill quote you again in hopes you'll grace me with some more knowledge.

For what it's worth, which isn't much, I didn't mention the part of the dog being aggressive in my original post because I wanted it to be somewhat of a constructive conversation, not me entirely bashing the dog and me being already set in my ways. Was attempting to come at this with somewhat of an open mind, bc everything else I've done thus far hasn't worked too well.

You, are a prime example of why the Internet shall forever remain a **** show....
Hey, you posted on an internet forum and asked for opinions. You also asked yourself if you were just being an ass. You said it yourself, I just confirmed your impression.

"If you ask a question you don't want an answer to, expect an answer you don't want to hear."
Old 03-15-2013, 21:38   #69
JohnnyReb
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickC50310 View Post
Anyone telling him to take in an agressive poorly socialized poorly trained potentially dangerous dog into his house with a small dog and maybe kids soon is a complete idiot. Read his post about the dogs demeanour and wake the hell up. Op- you should have put that in your first post so the boneheads wouldnt miss it.

I agree. Well stated. There are several solutions though.

Last edited by JohnnyReb; 03-15-2013 at 21:39..
JohnnyReb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 21:50   #70
JohnnyReb
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Hey, you posted on an internet forum and asked for opinions. You also asked yourself if you were just being an ass. You said it yourself, I just confirmed your impression.

"If you ask a question you don't want an answer to, expect an answer you don't want to hear."
I agreed with you up until you began to speak of an animal as a human. Dogs are bought, sold, and traded for numerous reasons all the time. Sometimes it's because they become inconvenient to the owner.

I'm thinking the OP is scared of the dog more then anything.

Old 03-15-2013, 21:50   #71
Detectorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2hmghb View Post
Break up with her and send me her phone number. It sounds like she needs someone more mature to date her.

Oh and by the way, if she asked you to give up your prized possessions(guns for example) would you do that?
Did you even read how unpredictable the dog is?

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place. George Bernard Shaw
Detectorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 21:50   #72
frank4570
Feral human

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyReb View Post
Ultimately, it's just a dog. A dog will not get in the way of things that I need to do, nor should it.

It's not a person, and it's not a child. I type this as my Bluetick coonhound is sleeping curled by my feet.

Outdoor Hub Campfire
And your family is just *your* family. A lot less important to me than my family, which includes my dog.
I already know you understand.

For too long people have said "screw NY, IL, etc" or "that'll never happen here." Yes, it will eventually. If we dont start standing up together now, it will never stop.-ilgunguygt
frank4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 21:53   #73
JohnnyReb
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank4570 View Post
And your family is just *your* family. A lot less important to me than my family, which includes my dog.
I already know you understand.
Your dog is a lot less important then a human life. I already know you understand.

Old 03-15-2013, 21:55   #74
Detectorist

On the other hand, I may need to see a Few pics of your Gf to be able to completely assess the situation.

If the dog is as unstable as you say, you're desires are correct. the dog may be too dangerous and can be a huge liability.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place. George Bernard Shaw
Detectorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 21:57   #75
WarCry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyReb View Post
I agreed with you up until you began to speak of an animal as a human. Dogs are bought, sold, and traded for numerous reasons all the time. Sometimes it's because they become inconvenient to the owner.

I'm thinking the OP is scared of the dog more then anything.
Just to be clear, I don't put dogs (or any other animal) on an even keel with people. But I don't put them MUCH below. If an animal was a threat to my kid, that's a no brainer. But that's not the same thing as them just being inconvenient. And I don't mind disagreeing with you on that. Such is the nature of humanity.

But that doesn't make me think he's any less of an ass for telling his girlfriend "It's gonna be my way or the highway", which is essentially what he's doing. He's completely disregarding her feelings on the matter. THAT is what makes him a bad person, and being willing to ship his dog off somewhere else on a whim is what makes him a horrible pet owner.

And your'e right, he may just be afraid of the dog himself. From the sounds of it, this "unhinged" dog doesn't seem to cause any trouble for its owner. It'll be interesting to see if that actually does come out of the OP.

Last edited by WarCry; 03-15-2013 at 22:04..
WarCry is offline   Reply With Quote